Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spec Map Not Is Metal Map?

inkwhiz

Specular map adjust the reflectiveness, it won't automatically make your model look metalic. You still need to adjust it using various level of grayscale, brighter parts will become more reflective while darker parts will become more dull

I already know that much.

I want to know is why it is that when I tick the box next to "Spec map is Metal map" to turn the effect on it actually disables the effect.

For example when i load excaliburs' model and texture's into tennogen with "_C" map in the roughness slot and set all tint channels to black.

with out that box ticked I cans see what looks like greasy gun metal in some areas and what looks the leather surface of boxing bag in others.

with that box ticked, what I get very smooth, sleek even but all that grungy detail is gone, with emissive set to a bright color. 

I don't currently know how to post screenshot's but if you were to do the same as I have you would see the same thing.

load the "_AO" into the roughness slot and pick some dark colors.

My point is that for tennogen to render like in the actual game you need to untick that box.

Though, having that spec is metal box the game itself may become essential to ensure that reskins are rendered properly

I already know that much.

I want to know is why it is that when I tick the box next to "Spec map is Metal map" to turn the effect on it actually disables the effect.

For example when i load excaliburs' model and texture's into tennogen with "_C" map in the roughness slot and set all tint channels to black.

with out that box ticked I cans see what looks like greasy gun metal in some areas and what looks the leather surface of boxing bag in others.

with that box ticked, what I get very smooth, sleek even but all that grungy detail is gone, with emissive set to a bright color. 

I don't currently know how to post screenshot's but if you were to do the same as I have you would see the same thing.

load the "_AO" into the roughness slot and pick some dark colors.

My point is that for tennogen to render like in the actual game you need to untick that box.

Though, having that spec is metal box the game itself may become essential to ensure that reskins are rendered properly

You don't have to check the box to turn it on. It's on by default. If you're ticking that box, then you're turning it off.

In which case, it really should be "Spec Map is NOT Metal Map"

No, it shouldn't. Now, maybe it changes depending on the mesh, but I know that, at least, when importing the included meshes (the ones provided by DE), "Spec Map is Metal Map" is checked, and it is metal, because by default, the box is checked (again, at least this is the case for models provided by DE).

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Mind that "metal" doesn't necessarily means more gloss/reflective. It means that the material now render more similar to metal, while default specular simply adjust the basic specularity without any other attribute. If you just compare the glossiness, then default specular can easily out gloss metal. But how they reflect and render in game are still different.