Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennogen Steam Workshop: Round One.

[DE]Rebecca

I Hate that mantis skin.. Liset gets all the awesome stuff!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=541791902&searchtext=Mantis

There are only two mantis submissions, grineer and the one in my post.. Frankly speaking, i am pretty sure every mantis owner would rather pick the Warrior's Companion Mantis skin.

Edited by Tacritan

I have seen better ones than this list skipping this vote

Agreed. A few were a bit lame... Specifically off the top of my head the out of place Neon Mag and the dull digital camo for the Mantis.

There are a few better submissions out there than some of these though...

Sometimes I wonder if DE just select some just to be 'nice' and 'fair'. Comes across that way in some of the fan contests we've had where spectacular submissions have lost out to less than great ones. Really odd.

I just feel like DE's explanations for their choices are completely bogus.

• General Feedback:
    • If you've submitted something or are in the process of creating: Keep working on it! If your item was not selected in Round One, it doesn't mean yours won't get picked in following rounds. You may need to make some improvements or changes.
    • Submission Art Feedback: peers & presentation. You'll notice how presentation helped us make decisions in Round One picks.  Many submissions showed a firm grasp and understanding of the importance of showing tinting. Visible Tint Masks, different angles, and more make submissions stand out. You'll learn submission improvements as we grow.
    • General art tips: Our artists unanimously agree that unifying themes throughout a piece is key. We love our sci-fi dearly, but generic sci-fi is something we do like to stray away from overall. Logo usage is typically not favored.
    • When it comes to default colour schemes, we may make some overriding choices for content and what will be presented as default.  

1) There's no real indication of what these submissions do that others don't.

2) Most submissions showed off "visible tint masks", "different angles", and "more"

3) Most submissions did not have a logo and had unifying theme, although most, including some of these, don't fit DE's stated theme for the Tenno:

As per the Content Creator Art Style Guide, Tenno art is/features:

• Sleek
  • Technology and organic forms mixed.
  • Elegant Curves
  • Minimalism
  • Flowing Silhouettes

Of these elements, which Warframe skin selected fits these guidelines? Only the Volt skin. The Mag skin features what I guess could be considered a mix of technology and organic forms, but when has that ever come in the form of a modern circuit board design? Not to mention that such a design isn't minimalist.

Does the Sybaris follow this? Not really, given the fancy decals/logos on it.

Does the syandana? Yes, actually. I'm glad at least it was selected over certain other syandanas.

Do the landing craft follow this? The Quilate Liset does, to an extent (it's design is a bit too busy to call minimalist). The Hellkite Liset isn't minimalist; it's busy. And that "Grineer's Assault Mantis"? It's generic, features a generic digital camo pattern that could literally be pulled from anywhere on the internet, isn't minimalist, doesn't feature elegant curves or flowing silhouettes, and features a logo.

I was expecting something different with this contest compared to previous ones, but seems like, as with previous ones, DE put out certain stylistic guidelines (like "minimalist" Tenno designs) only to basically ignore them.

Look, I don't have a problem with my submissions, or those that I liked, not being selected. But I do have a problem with DE not making selections based on their own guidelines. If content creators are going to take care in making content for consideration (particularly those who actually try to abide by the art style guidelines), then please take equal care to actually make selections based on your own guidelines.

Grineer

There's literally nothing about the Grineer that has anything to do with digital camo.

I Hate that mantis skin.. Liset gets all the awesome stuff!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=541791902&searchtext=Mantis

There are only two mantis submissions, grineer and the one in my post.. Frankly speaking, i am pretty sure every mantis owner would rather pick the Warrior's Companion Mantis skin.

I was certain that this Mantis skin would've been selected, especially considering it was the only good Mantis skin on the Workshop, and considering it was only one of two. Maybe DE made a mistake and copied the link for the digital camo one and not for that one. One can hope, right?

If I may add a very small suggestion for a weapon skin candidate in the future?

Please give the Karak and the Karak Wraith a nice skin you can change to.

Currently, the Karak and its Wraith counterpart have no skin to switch to.

Plus, we all know that everyone would love to be able to either color the Wraith skins or have an alternate skin to switch to.

(since you cant color them)

Thanks a ton!

Edited by (XB1)xXx STR1FE xXx

is there a particular reason two of the categories have the same links twice? fingers crossed it is, so there's still a chance for the wing sydana. 

otherwise, not sure how i feel about most of the frame skins. i definitely feel excalibur had loads better skins to choose from than the one they picked, this is one is just so plain and to be honest, really similar to the immortal skin we already have. i was hoping this tennogen deal would give variety, not slight alterations of the same. the mag option is just plain unimpressive, but given how few options there were I guess this choice was more of a grasping at straws situation. volt was the only one to get a halfway decent skin, it looks unique without being absurd and starkly resembles any skins we have for him already.

So here's my summary of why certain things got selected and some didnt.

An overwhelming majority of the excal skins suffered from one of 2 things. Bad coloring or thematically way out of line (this is my view atleast).

You had some well crafted skins for excal, the ancient and exo-calibur for example. However well crafted they are they had shapes for the sake of having shapes. Created a look that got very busy, no real focal point since it was the same pattern/thing going on all over.

For the mag, I really liked the knaita, it got however submitted later and thematically its a bit generic. Theres nothing there that ties into what mag does. I feel that the mag they selected is a bit more relevant atleast, even if the craft is different.

Looking at all the submissions it seems that the only one who got accepted that had changed normals (as far as I can see) is mine.

So I dont know what I did right. But would be intresting to find out.

-snip-

For the mag, I really liked the knaita, it got however submitted later and thematically its a bit generic. Theres nothing there that ties into what mag does. I feel that the mag they selected is a bit more relevant atleast, even if the craft is different.

-snip-

Mag's current look doesn't tie in with what she does either.  How exactly does her fishbowl head scream magnetism?  

Besides, most computers don't do so well when you slap a large magnet to them.  How does a circuitry based skin scream magnetism?

Theres nothing there that ties into what mag does. I feel that the mag they selected is a bit more relevant atleast, even if the craft is different.

Circuit boards and magnets are relevant?

Stick a magnet on your PC and then tell me how relevant it still is.

Regardless Excal doesn't look like a sword, Volt doesn't look like electricity. Mag doesn't look like a magnet.

Eh, I guess when it comes to it the sales numbers are what DE are really going to look at.

I got a few questions I guess.

• If you've submitted something or are in the process of creating: Keep working on it! If your item was not selected in Round One, it doesn't mean yours won't get picked in following rounds. You may need to make some improvements or changes.

How will you guys going to keep track if it's been updated or not? Do we update the files that're already uploaded to the workshop or do we hide that one and do a fresh upload for updated stuffs?

The whole logo usage thing kinda confuses me. I know not to use logos in the skins themselves,etc .  I used my own personal logo/watermark thing for preview image on the workshop.  Is that alright?

---

Sadly I'm going to have to agree with the people who're rating this current batch so far as 'eh'.  I know the list is subject to change and I will keep an eye on it for sure.

Opinions on submissions:

Excalibur:

I am sorry, but I saw a lot better submissions, and I am not really sure why we need yet ANOTHER Excalibur skin to begin with, when so many other Warframes dont have even one skin.

Mag:

Looked very well done and I would honestly buy this one

Volt:

Was not bad in my opinion, but do not see myself buying it

Gorgon:

Did not look terrible. Maybe I would get it to change the horrible colors of the Gorgon Wraith (why can we still not color those anyways?)

Sybaris:

Looked very beautiful/elegant

Original Syandanas:

The shield looking one looked very cool, however, I would not ever buy it.

The New Loka one really peaked my interest! Especially if it were to be added as a Syndicate thing (would only make sense).

Liset Skins:

Oh my God. #1 is beautiful and reminds me of something one might expect to see as an exclusive from a Prime Access Accessory pack.

Also, the #2 entry looks so sinister and could really bring out the awesomeness that is the evil in my Red Veil Profile Icon <3

#3 was not bad, but I currently do not own the Mantis and thus have no opinion on buying it.

#1 and #2 will be mine for sure.

Edited by (XB1)xXx STR1FE xXx

Mag's current look doesn't tie in with what she does either.  How exactly does her fishbowl head scream magnetism?  

Besides, most computers don't do so well when you slap a large magnet to them.  How does a circuitry based skin scream magnetism?

Circuit boards and magnets are relevant?

Stick a magnet on your PC and then tell me how relevant it still is.

Regardless Excal doesn't look like a sword, Volt doesn't look like electricity. Mag doesn't look like a magnet.

Eh, I guess when it comes to it the sales numbers are what DE are really going to look at.

Might be my failed understanding of the standard mag skin but I always assumed those massive coils aroudn her arms where part of a electromagnet.

But yeah, im not a sciene person

The warframe skins look almost exactly like the current immortal skins out.

The Ex skin has the same flame pattern and the only big difference is the circle in the middle of the chest and...

Wait are these skin actually going to include the helmet design?

Cause that was the weird thing about the original immortal skins. You guys showed a complete look from head to toe and when you released them the helmets were not included and never came out.

These things better include the helmet.

And they better not cost more than the current skins since these are basically a remix of what's currently out there.

And are you ever going to release the immortal helmet skins?

Edited by Mak_Gohae

U should have seen the concept art, he moved away from his basic scratches which was more fitting, but the Sari not being added is shocking .

I'm hoping the repeat links in the OP was simply an accident and will be fixed later with the Sari and some other skins.