Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennogen Steam Workshop: Round One.

[DE]Rebecca

I hope that Antoine isn't correct in this assumption that metals are taboo for the frame skins. If it is, this is also something that DE really needs to clarify.  In general I think they need to do another pass or overhaul of the content they've provided:

1. The art guidelines were out of sync with the skins they chose, which I feel is where there is a lot of frustration comes from for those of us that worked on submissions and tried to stick to their guidelines.

2. It would be really nice to get better examples that are using actual PBR textures instead of their older shader model.

3. Better define their criteria for screenshots. They've got a good example of this on the polycount contest, but not in their documentation.

I'm sure they're learning a lot from this process and will continue to improve and maybe make their decisions a little less transparent so we have a better idea of what to shoot for in the content we create.  This can only lead to better submissions for them so it's really in their best interest.

Cheers to those who made it into the first round, I really like the two syndanas and lisets in particular.

Did you mean "more transparent"?

A lot of people seem to like the Mag skin... I'm sitting over here looking at the textures for it and they seem... less than quality. Maybe it's just the screenshots, but the striped parts all look way too scaled-up. And to be honest, while the circuit board thing is kinda cool, it looks really busy. Of course, so does the Immortal Mag skin, so I guess that works. Ah well, it's still better'n I can do, so I'll just shut up now.

One more thing, there are like three friggen skins by the same person. I'm not complaining now, but dayum. They're doing it right. XD

Mantis skin is meh, rest of them are...what you would expect from a DE worker (I don't mean this in a bad way, it just looks too traditional like an alternative inmortal skin, not like an actual player designed skin)

Volt Overload and Mag Neon skins are amazing though, would vote if Steam didn't threw me a stupid error....I can't stand that platform.

Edited by osheroth

The gorgon overload irks me a little because it looks like someone just googled "Photoshop splatter brushes" then went to town on the emissive map.

I wonder if DE are going to ask some people where they sourced some of their stuff from, since if you did use PS brushes that had a non commericial license in them thats very bad form, and a ball ache for DE if they found out after the fact.

Edited by Kickasskyle

The gorgon overload irks me a little because it looks like someone just googled "Photoshop splatter brushes" then went to town on the emissive map.

I wonder if DE are going to ask some people where they sourced some of their stuff from, since if you did use PS brushes that had a non commericial license in them thats very bad form, and a ball ache for DE if they found out after the fact.

They need to question where that "Grineer's Assault" Mantis' digital camo pattern comes from, because it quite literally looks like a generic digital camo pattern taken from Google.

Matter of fact, I found it.

RlwQCO.png

QXMnfS.png

Source: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Camouflage-Gray-371806939

In case you don't actually believe me:

xZvGm0.png

Still don't believe me?

2pCqmh.png

Now, maybe there's a chance that this guy is the same guy who made the pattern, but that really doesn't seem likely, given this player's Steam profile and location compared to the name and location of the deviantart user. Again, the devs need to put as much care into making selections as content creators do in actually creating content in accordance with the established guidelines.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Guys, at least try to give some Appreciation to the choosen workshop

Um, I'll give appreciation where appreciation is due. But right now, I really don't trust DE's judgment when it comes to making selections. Again, the Grineer's Assault Mantis...

They need to question where that "Grineer's Assault" Mantis' digital camo pattern comes from, because it quite literally looks like a generic digital camo pattern taken from Google.

RlwQCO.png

QXMnfS.png

xZvGm0.png

Still don't believe me?

2pCqmh.png

Now, maybe there's a chance that this guy is the same guy who made the pattern, but that really doesn't seem likely, given this player's Steam profile and location compared to the name and location of the deviantart user. Again, the devs need to put as much care into making selections as content creators do in actually creating content in accordance with the established guidelines.

On that bombshell, I'm pretty sure that means this is disqualified, assuming the owner of that deviant art account isn't the same person who made the skin (unlikely as it is).

On that bombshell, I'm pretty sure that means this is disqualified, assuming the owner of that deviant art account isn't the same person who made the skin (unlikely as it is).

Well, the owner of the deviantart account is from/located in the US, while the owner of the Steam account is from/located in Spain.

And, just to clarify: my main pint in not letting this go isn't because I'm bitter that my submissions didn't get selected, or to simply bash this content creator. I think this reflects a larger problem with how these selections might have been made. There were selections that don't quite meet DE's own established guidelines, and others that obviously weren't checked out before they were selected. I mean, at first glance, any one would've had the impression that this skin was using a generic digital camouflage pattern. And a quick Google search would've revealed that. Seems like selections are made based on what the devs think look cool to them, not based on established guidelines that every submission had to abide by. And especially where money is involved, this should be taken seriously. And it just seems like they didn't take this seriously. Seems like they chose what they personally considered to be their favorites, without actually seeing if their own favorites were original content or in keeping with the art style guidelines.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Well, the owner of the deviantart account is from/located in the US, while the owner of the Steam account is from/located in Spain.

And, just to clarify: -

It's understandable, it also sets a bad precedent if people are allowed to get away with what is essentially stealing someone elses work. That said I still think we're dealing with a minority (hopefully), most of the skins/models here are great work.

It's understandable, it also sets a bad precedent if people are allowed to get away with what is essentially stealing someone elses work. That said I still think we're dealing with a minority (hopefully), most of the skins/models here are great work.

yeah. I still think that Excal skin and Mag skin should've been something else.

RlwQCO.png

QXMnfS.png

xZvGm0.png

Still don't believe me?

2pCqmh.png

Oo That's kind of scandalous ... basically making money with someone else work.

Edited by Syln