Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennogen Steam Workshop: Round One.

[DE]Rebecca

Time to call them out on it, then. I think it's safe to say that if it looks generic, it most likely is generic.

And yeah, who knows. Either way it's not exactly original. It'd be one thing if that texture was from Warframe's own assets, but it's not, and it's a major element of the skin's design.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Yep. The problem is that they won't check out skins that clearly use complicated, generic/common textures (camo patterns, circuit designs, other generally repetitive patterns, etc). See, I'm used to this kind of thing because I use to make texture mods for Delta Force: BHD, LOTR:BFME, COD4: MW, and Arma 2/3. And I do manips (image manipulations) pretty regularly (a lot of comic book movie related stuff). So I'm used to seeing generic texture mods. Because of that, it's not hard for me to recognize when something looks like it might have been taken from the internet.

But notice, just like the case with that Mantis skin, this circuit image isn't buried through pages of Google Search. It's among the first search results, just like that digital camo skin. You don't even have to scroll down the page to see it. Here are four different links to Google Search results with this image (two per website):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/abstract-circuit-board-texture-background-20906326.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-abstract-background-circuit-board-texture-image20825385&h=346&w=400&tbnid=JIivpsF9tDz_bM:&docid=V03gd1WFJWfG2M&ei=Q4lKVrD_K8TRmwGt_pD4Cw&tbm=isch&ved=0CFAQMygUMBRqFQoTCPCs9qetlskCFcToJgodLT8Evw

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/abstract-circuit-board-texture-background-20906326.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-abstract-circuit-board-texture-background-image20906326&h=1215&w=1300&tbnid=nZWKaTupJacI8M:&docid=A_ybKpN7GmIQzM&ei=Q4lKVrD_K8TRmwGt_pD4Cw&tbm=isch&ved=0CFkQMygdMB1qFQoTCPCs9qetlskCFcToJgodLT8Evw

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static7.depositphotos.com/1003229/779/v/950/depositphotos_7793788-Circuit-board-background-texture.jpg&imgrefurl=http://depositphotos.com/7793788/stock-illustration-circuit-board-background-texture.html&h=889&w=1023&tbnid=SoXT6SpmGBWqHM:&docid=tScBXDew63RpvM&ei=Q4lKVrD_K8TRmwGt_pD4Cw&tbm=isch&ved=0CGQQMygoMChqFQoTCPCs9qetlskCFcToJgodLT8Evw

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static7.depositphotos.com/1003229/779/v/450/depositphotos_7793788-Circuit-board-background-texture.jpg&imgrefurl=http://depositphotos.com/7793826/stock-illustration-circuit-board-background-texture.html&h=390&w=449&tbnid=Y3e7d78-0Wa3WM:&docid=KTdNcz7rfK0nAM&ei=Q4lKVrD_K8TRmwGt_pD4Cw&tbm=isch&ved=0CJgBEDMoXDBcahUKEwjwrPanrZbJAhXE6CYKHS0_BL8

Really wish DE would actually do their research before selecting skins. But whatever. Glad you found this, MaaYuu.

I'd make sure that those textures are actually the ones that were used, since a) they have watermarks, and b) it's hard to tell with complex patterns like circuitry.

But yes, they do look very similar. It's disappointing that TennoGen has turned into this much of a fiasco. Sure, DE could have looked more closely at their selections, but people should also have some integrity and put some actual effort into what they make.

Edited by Brachion

I guess it's pretty true what Reb said;

They're learning as they go, so let's not try to be /too/ hard on them, shall we?

Although I myself am a bit frustrated that two entries contain images that were plucked from Google images yet the completely original skins (Knaita Mag(lol idk how to spell that one) and the Warrior Companion(?) Mantis.) do not get the light they deserve. Another odd thing is the lack of response after the post of the weird cameo one getting removed. I think at times like this us as creators would really like to understand what steps DE is currently doing for the situation.

BUT ONCE AGAIN, they're learning and I'm sure it will be a much more refined process for round 2 and beyond.

Patience Tenno. c:

I guess it's pretty true what Reb said;

They're learning as they go, so let's not try to be /too/ hard on them, shall we?

Although I myself am a bit frustrated that two entries contain images that were plucked from Google images yet the completely original skins (Knaita Mag(lol idk how to spell that one) and the Warrior Companion(?) Mantis.) do not get the light they deserve. Another odd thing is the lack of response after the post of the weird cameo one getting removed. I think at times like this us as creators would really like to understand what steps DE is currently doing for the situation.

BUT ONCE AGAIN, they're learning and I'm sure it will be a much more refined process for round 2 and beyond.

Patience Tenno. c:

Well, the first thing they need to learn is to do the vetting before picking submissions. That's all. Do some Google searches on complex, repetitive, possibly generic textures. I also think it'd help to actually have either the artists or others with an eye for this sort of thing making selections (and I say that, assuming the community manager and community coordinator made selections, because I couldn't see an artist not catching on to this). Also, I do question why they're investigating the two overload skins and not the Mag skin. Nothing about those overload skins seems to suggest that there might be possible copyright infringement. But yeah, it would help to know their process (I hope it's a bit more than just choosing what looks cool to them).

And, yes, patience is good :D

I'd make sure that those textures are actually the ones that were used, since a) they have watermarks, and b) it's hard to tell with complex patterns like circuitry.

But yes, they do look very similar. It's disappointing that TennoGen has turned into this much of a fiasco. Sure, DE could have looked more closely at their selections, but people should also have some integrity and put some actual effort into what they make.

This image has a barely recognizable watermark. This could easily be removed. But this is the circuit pattern that is seen on the helmet, at least. But, MaaYuu is right. DE needs to just ask the author if they bought this, as well as what the possible licensing terms are (so, whether or not they can essentially resell something using that image).

will tennogen launches on steam time in with wednesday updates or simply an "as ready" basis?

Did they confirm that these are releasing this Wednesday?

And then again, buying stuff doesn't automatically allow you to use it anywhere unless it's royalty-free.

It's royalty-free, but under the Terms and Conditions (see "Royalty- Free License of use of Non-Watermarked Media and Restrictions"), the license holder is not allowed to resell it. So this should be rejected, because, regardless of whether or not they bought the license, they can't sell it.

Here is the complete section of those royalty-free license terms and conditions:

Royalty- Free License of use of Non-Watermarked Media and Restrictions

The high-resolution Media that you download under the regular Royalty Free (RF) license may be used to make fine art prints, to illustrate and visually enhance website pages and headers, magazine pages and articles, newspapers, books, ebooks and booklets, book/ebook covers, flyers, blog articles, newsletters, documentaries and motion pictures, application software (apps), social media posts and any other advertising and promotional material, in either printed or electronic media, as long as the item in which the Media appears does not contradict any of the restrictions below. The list is not exhaustive and if you have any uncertainty regarding the use of the Media in a correct way please email support using the help form.

Web templates, greeting cards or postcards especially designed for sale, similar print-on-demand services, canvas, t-shirts, mugs, calendars, postcards, mouse pads or any other items incorporating the Media in an essential manner, intended to be sold are considered redistribution (if the Media is used in an essential manner). The use of Dreamstime.com Media for these purposes under the regular Royalty Free license is not permitted. It is also forbidden to make the Media available on a website for download (as wallpapers for example), although you may use the Media in a concept in as many websites as you want, for any number of clients. For Web use, you must not use the Media at a width exceeding 800 pixels unless it is included in your site`s design. If the Media is part of a design and manipulated accordingly, the Media width can be higher than 800 pixels.

If you use the Media for printed materials, the number of copies must not exceed 500,000. You may modify the Media in any way required for reproduction, or include them in your own personal creations.

Buying the high-resolution Media (purchasing the license) does not transfer the copyright. You may not claim that the Media is your own and you may not sell, license for use, or in any way distribute the Media for reuse. We recommend that you credit the agency and the Contributor when you use an Media. By this you benefit the community at Dreamstime.com, of which you are an integral part, and help increase your success as part of the community, which, by growing contributions, gains quantity and quality.

That makes it pretty clear, I think.

Ah. Then it's even worse.

Unfortunately, yes.

And I'm glad MaaYuu found it, because otherwise, this would've put DE in a less-than-stellar situation (even if it's not likely that Dreamstime would've found out about it).

PROSETISEN sent me this:

EYxCDKAfLP4.jpg

It's kinda hard to see, but looks like he just copied it directly from the website, and didn't purchase the license.

Unfortunately, yes.

And I'm glad MaaYuu found it, because otherwise, this would've put DE in a less-than-stellar situation (even if it's not likely that Dreamstime would've found out about it).

Aw man, you broke 6666 posts

I bet if we searched "carbon fiber texture" in Google Images, the one they used is also gonna come up on the first page

Edited by MaaYuu

Aw man, you broke 6666 posts

I bet if we searched "carbon fiber texture" in Google Images, the one they used is also gonna come up on the first page

That's what I expect, also.

mfzXUs.jpg

5-genuine-carbon-fiber-textures-for-phot

Source: http://www.creattor.com/textures-patterns/5-genuine-carbon-fiber-textures-for-photoshop-298

You gotta rotate that texture 90 degrees like he did....

Unfortunately, yes.

PROSETISEN sent me this:

EYxCDKAfLP4.jpg

It's kinda hard to see, but looks like he just copied it directly from the website, and didn't purchase the license.

Really amazing. They didn't even bother removing the watermark. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Pity. The Mag one was the only frame skin which looked moderately good. Too bad the textures are encumbered, thus not eligible. 

Sybaris is nice. 

The syandana is nice. 

QUilate is meh. 

Hellkite is nice too. 

Idon'teven

Unfortunately, yes.

PROSETISEN sent me this:

EYxCDKAfLP4.jpg

they should probably just scrap this round of tennogen stuff, take a look at the existing entries, and then pick some new ones

this whole round has been pathetic

they should probably just scrap this round of tennogen stuff, take a look at the existing entries, and then pick some new ones

this whole round has been pathetic

Leaning towards agreeing with this notion. Hopefully DE learn to properly investigate some of the content. It's not surprising though as some people are either a) sneaky and think they can get away with it or b) new and are experimenting.

It'd give a chance for the better entries to break through and allow for a more varied selection.

Edited by Naith

Note to Self: Do not piss of AntoineFlemming and MaaYuu.

Pity. The Mag one was the only frame skin which looked moderately good. Too bad the textures are encumbered, thus not eligible.

-snip-

I agree - while the skin didn't fit my tastes nor look very Warframe-y, it was a decent skin. I'm sad that so much of it used stuff it wasn't supposed to

[size=1]I don't know what the terminology is. .-.[/size]