Steam Controller Support: Live!

RyVd89m.jpg
Warframe Now Powered by Steam Controller 

We're excited to announce Steam Controller support for Warframe.  Now, Tenno can enjoy being a space ninja while playing from the comfort of their couch with the Steam controller's dual track pads, dual-stage triggers, and customizable configurations.

The Steam Controller‘s dual trackpads enable the high-fidelity input required for precise PC gaming in the living room.

For more information on the Steam Controller, please visit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/

Requires:  A Steam Machine or other computer capable of running Steam Big Picture Mode, in order to view, edit, save, and share Steam Controller mappings.

If you've got any feedback or questions, let us know.
Hotfix 17.10.4 brings Steam Controller Support!

The Steam Controller‘s dual trackpads enable the high-fidelity input required for precise PC gaming in the living room.

But i use xbox360 controllers, and perform admirably . . . . .  T__T

Just kidding [sorta], but if I ever get my hands on the steam controller, i'd love to give it a shot. Still using xbox360 through. 

Reviewing the Alienware Steam machine for work. Was streaming WARFRAME to it from my PC since WF is not a SteamOS supported game. I hope that changes. Its a great candidate for the Steam Machine or NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV thingy.

My playtime was clearly before WF integration with the Steam controller. I will report back later this week after more play time.

Edited by RawGritz

this is cool and all, but when are we going to get better support for the XB1 and Xbox 360 controllers? i hate that i have to use my mouse to go through my mods and foundry and alot other things instead of my XB1 controller. i been waiting for ever for this type of update and there was one update i belieave that made the controller better for use but it wasnt that much of a difference

Is it just me or did the update actually break the steam controller configs?! They are all empty :(

Yes, but just select the Recommended Pre-Config template from "configure", the one that DE has made.
For me it actually works really well. I already ran one Exterminate mission with the Steam Controller and at first it felt really weird, but I got the hang of it really fast. Might still change the skill-casting and jumping visa-versa.

I only ran into a one problem during the test run: I wasn't able to use Grineer Hacking puzzlepieces. It stated that I should press "A", but it did not trigger the lockmechanisms on the puzzle. I tried every button on the gamepad with no luck. Couldn't use ciphers either with "Y". Had to use keyboard to do the puzzle.

Before this update I tried on multiple occasions to get the Steam Controller working but it didn't feel right at all.
Now it feels really good. Thx DE! =)

Edit: Well now that I returned back to using keyboard and mouse; All the configs were reset back to default here too, not just the controller configs.

Edited by -Zr-Scroll

This sucks, 7 GB of download for a controller drivers, nonsense for me. For people that don't have the time for waiting a update so large and that maybe most of the players would not use, this should be an optional update, now I have to wait a long perios of time to play again, bad update -.-.

And yet the current version of warframe only supports controllers within missions... Could we finally get full menu support or at least indicators of which buttons to press in the menus that do work? It's rather annoying having to switch after every mission just to navigate the arsenal or foundry.

I've been asking for full controller support since U15 or so... and I finally got it, but only by Steam Controller (which I own it).

The biggest issue so far with Steam Controller is that Icons are nearly impossible to read.

It would be much better to use bigger icons with better quality

yr6QTt.jpg

I have to take slight umbrage with this big update considering the Xbox (read Microsoft) controller support being still mostly broken in most menus and hacking mini-games.

Does this mean Xbox controller support will no longer continue improving? Was there ever a timeline on matching PC to console level controller support? I may be a second class citizen as a controller pleb but this feels like really bad optics from a player perspective.

PS: I do not own a Steam controller so I cannot speak to it's implementation but I am under the impression that it is fundamentally a different control system than a standard gamepad (Xbox, Logitech or any of the other reputable gamepads).

I have to take slight umbrage with this big update considering the Xbox (read Microsoft) controller support being still mostly broken in most menus and hacking mini-games.

Does this mean Xbox controller support will no longer continue improving? Was there ever a timeline on matching PC to console level controller support? I may be a second class citizen as a controller pleb but this feels like really bad optics from a player perspective.

PS: I do not own a Steam controller so I cannot speak to it's implementation but I am under the impression that it is fundamentally a different control system than a standard gamepad (Xbox, Logitech or any of the other reputable gamepads).

Don't feel bad man, I had to play with the default DE controls for at least an hour before I got a setup I felt I could enjoy playing with. Heck in melee mode the freaking camera didn't even work. Navigating the UI is a nightmare and it took me 5+ minutes to get the grineer hacking minigame to work via the controller. I still haven't tricked the corpus hacking mini game and honestly I'm scared too since it will probably mean tweaking a setup I finally am satisfied with. 

The only reason the steam controller works as well as it does in Warframe is mostly from Valves side of things from what I can tell. Heck just trying to chat in warframe brings up a screen with the option to "hide my password" rather than an onscreen small keyboard similar to what other games have.

If you're a second class citizen those of us with a steam controller are like 1 and 3/4th class citizen. Maybe it continues to get better but the only reason it's even do able from what I can tell is mostly on valve. 

in this thread: multiple players tired of holding their breath waste it on a company with no interest in fully supporting anything. FULL controller support has been a demanded feature by -- I would think, with no solid numbers to back this (because there's been no response from DE on the matter) -- enough players since the game's inception... but here we are, boatloads of prime weapons, 18 versions of the Gorgon and like 10 reincarnations of Frost... with 'lackluster'/broken controller support. They can bother to re-do most of the UI (but not all of it, 'cause that would be polished, and this is beta -- strictly not allowed), but not add controller support to the NEW UIs.

I gave up on this so long ago. Ask me how I REALLY feel about it.

At this point, adding it in would almost be a slap in the face. I barely play anymore because, oh, that's right, I've moved on to games like Shadow of Mordor that dynamically change the UI depending on whether I'm using a KB/mouse or controller -- just like a bunch of other modern games do.

EDIT: support your existing controls before adding more? Common sense.

Edited by intrand

Steam's big picture mode seems to hit the framerate pretty hard. I got a gtx970 and fps drop down to 45... After closing big picture it jumps back up to 80fps. But then controller configs don't work :(

Nevertheless I gotta say if you know how, the possibilities are stunning!