Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maayuu's Hole (with blazingcobalt and Stenchfury)

_malaya_

Sorry, got into a bit of a slump during the holidays(had a really bad case of the lazy and paneling really fries my brain), but I just started sculpting again and I'm getting my momentum back:BW335ru.jpg

My detail references are the Marelok and Nukor.

Still have to do the engines and the tubes, but after that it's all ready to be retopologised.

So, this part might look better if it were sharper, like the blades of the Red Veil's sigils. Oh, and metal, of course.

Might get in the way of it fitting with Ash's arms, I'll test it out after I've finished texturing the Steel Meridian one and have handed it over to blazingcobalt for final tinting.

Edited by MaaYuu

Finished the sculpting, on to the tubes, then retopology.

jYgDNKx.jpg

g6iTsbO.jpg

Not overly pleased with the silhouette. I rushed the blockout a bit too fast and went right to the tiny details. Will try to make some little adjustments as I merge these into the parts that the low poly will consist of. 

Pretty chuffed about the little details like the little bag at the side of the engines and the fuel tanks at the bottom though! I feel like I'm getting crazier and crazier with the little things and haven't been giving enough attention to the bigger picture.

xuuA14j.jpg

o3yEE92.png

Edited by MaaYuu

I LOVE this sculpt. Excellent details. superb separation of forms and materials. Looking forward to upvoting this and purchasing it.

You're right about the silhouette... it feels like it doesn't quite have a purpose to its pose. Seems like it will only take some tweaks to get it working just right though. Imo there is a lot of untapped potential in the square rocket nozzles, like they could be skewed or stretched or made larger or something. You might do well to have something dangling off the back end just to lengthen the silhouette a little, like a stray tube or something, something not symmetrical. Doesn't have to hang down very far tho.

Edited by Syncrasis

Oh hey Syncrasis, Very glad hear that from you! Your Nekros hat is looking amazing!

Making the jets bigger and angling it down just a bit definitely adds a lot more interest.

Our  plan is to have this Steel Meridian symbol and a crisscross of tubes/wires dangling from the base. Still whittling down at the low poly of the jetpack to get it below 5000 triangles though. 

x271M4Q.png

(The emblem looks a bit too big definitely have to scale it down

Love the look so far!  The jetpack bit is looking gorgeous!  I had an idea/thought for the 'cape' bit where you have the Steel Meridian logo.  What if instead of a single tube and the logo standing upright symmetrically, you had multiple tubes that suspended it at more of a tilt?  I think it gives the impression of a rebel force, as opposed to the symmetrical look, which donotes order (and may fit Arbiters better).  I've used my totally awesome ms paint skills to give an example below.

2dihd10.png

Feel free to disregard at your leisure :)

Edit: grammar

Edited by Danskheart

To be honest, I'm kinda questioning the practicality of the whole loose tubes and wiring thing >_>

Not that syandanas were ever practical to begin with :P

Will definitely experiment with the asymmetrical idea, and I'll go with whichever I think is more balanced

Finished the sculpting, on to the tubes, then retopology.

jYgDNKx.jpg

g6iTsbO.jpg

Not overly pleased with the silhouette. I rushed the blockout a bit too fast and went right to the tiny details. Will try to make some little adjustments as I merge these into the parts that the low poly will consist of. 

Pretty chuffed about the little details like the little bag at the side of the engines and the fuel tanks at the bottom though! I feel like I'm getting crazier and crazier with the little things and haven't been giving enough attention to the bigger picture.

xuuA14j.jpg

o3yEE92.png

those details O.o +1

The detail and overall concept of thos syandana is way better then anything DE has put out lately. Sucks when artists have to work with such strick crunch times.

Anyways, great job man! I've been checking up on this one. I'm excited to see it finished and hopefully in game too!I would totally rock it.

Thanks!

Imo the amount of time I spent on this really factored into how good it looks now, but that's because I'm really slow and inexperienced :P I bet if the artists at DE made this from blazing's concept, it would have been finished a lot quicker and with arguably the same result.

Right now I'm at 8.1k triangles without the tubes and the third jet. Now I have to decide where to cut corners while getting as much of the silhouette as possible so I'll be able to fit in the other parts. I gotta say I find this the most enjoyable part, but also the most troublesome.

haTPQQJ.png

Too much detail on this thing for such a small texture resolution D: Did a test bake, hoping that since you're only gonna be looking at it from afar, this'll be fine.

gtr6Ihr.png

Saved some space for the tubes... I have 500 tris left in the budget and it's not gonna be enough for the tube, the third jet turbine, and a fire texture. It's gonna be clutch, but I'll put my tryhard hat on and try to  make everything fit

Edited by MaaYuu

Don't forget that you can use smoothing groups to make your normal map cleaner. 

You can also remove these lines(and several like them) since they don't contribute to the overall shape:

MayuuBackpackThing.jpg

As for the tubes, the railings on the Rota Syandana are 5-sided(since you can't see the edges facing the back, I merged them to save polygons) and the loops are 4-sided. You might be able to get away with using only 5-8 sides for a tube of that thickness.

Also, you may have already done this, but decimate as many polygons as you can on the back of the syandana; chances are nobody's ever going to see them, so merge faces as best as possible.

Edited by alexmach1

Thank you! Since I wanted the backpack to be relatively big, I was reluctant to take away more parts in fear of it being noticeable and getting a nasty bake, but I did it and the difference is mostly negligible. As for the back, I believe I've decimated as much as I can, but I'll see if I can give it a second pass.

Also I could never get how smoothing groups worked for baking, and I figured that would only be relevant for hard surface stuff anyways, so I never really felt the need to use them... Do I add a smoothing group to parts of the mesh with sharp directional changes and UV seams? Also, do smoothing groups have to be closed or can be left open like this?

Bg3TmnX.png

So yeah, thanks alexmach1, you really saved me there! I got 300 additional tris and possibly plenty more

brrrrrrr....

d5ed9c3e5c579f1f067c1ad09b255435.gif

It's supposed to be moving faster, but gyazo can't handle the fps

Edited by MaaYuu

Thank you! Since I wanted the backpack to be relatively big, I was reluctant to take away more parts in fear of it being noticeable and getting a nasty bake, but I did it and the difference is mostly negligible. As for the back, I believe I've decimated as much as I can, but I'll see if I can give it a second pass.

Also I could never get how smoothing groups worked for baking, and I figured that would only be relevant for hard surface stuff anyways, so I never really felt the need to use them... Do I add a smoothing group to parts of the mesh with sharp directional changes and UV seams? Also, do smoothing groups have to be closed or can be left open like this?

Smoothing groups act just about the same as splitting edges apart, so you should be fine either way.

You can look at the Sybaris(either in your program of choice or inside tennogen) without the normal map to see how DE handles smoothing groups. Edges and cavities that are over 75-90 degrees should be split in order to make the normal map bake as clean as possible without heavy gradients, both for rendering and compression purposes. Alternatively, you can use edge loops but I'd recommend adding those once you finish all the parts, so you can see how many polygons you have left in your budget.

sybarissmoothing.jpg

You can see splits in the geometry where the angles reach 90 degrees or so.

Edited by alexmach1

Originally created for use by Grineer Shock Troops during their terror skirmishes to enhance their running speed and jump height. Despite its effectiveness in the field, mass production was halted after a significant increase of death rates as a result from "severe head trauma from repeated intense wall collisions"

Despite multiple warnings, many of Steel Meridian's elite insist on using theirs as proof of their skill in battle.

https://sketchfab.com/models/c7719ce9cf484fed8f851a27d39ef850

ElX2GzY.png

I'm so burnt out right now D: The Syandana sits at 7,495 tris

Still need a couple of tweaks in the diffuse and roughness map and it's still looking a bit sloppy, but I've handed over what I currently have to blazingcobalt for tinting now and I imagine it's smooth sailing from here on.

bCL6Sw5.png

WUxK6S8.png

Gonna take a break the whole day today then get right to work on the Jotun Helmet

Edited by MaaYuu

Invert the normal green channel

Ahh thanks, I forgot about that. Updated!

Whoaaaa, you must be really exhausted. This is a great lot of work! 

Congrats!

Also,  7,495 tris is epic XD

I promised myself I wouldn't go crazy with this one, but it didn't go so well :P

Kind of a shame I couldn't afford to put a gimmick in though... the back was supposed to open up like beetle wings and a third jet thingy pops out

Edited by MaaYuu

To be honest, the dangly bit just looks out of place, just leave it looking like a jetpack.

yes this, we need more no-dangly-bit syandanas, and this looks cool as one, definitely a would buy

Would have been nice to hear this before I baked the damn thing (jk) :P Should have put up more progress shots.

The no dangly thing I kinda agree with, and I think enough people have complained about it. I'll go over it with blazingcobalt

(Don't really wanna crouch in on alexmach1's territory though)

I love it. Although I have to say that the markings don't look grineer or steel meridian at all. Looks kinda alien. The markings are too thin and the dots seem weird.

Yeah, I'll fill the pattern in a bit more once I finish the Jotun

I'll have to say it can look better. The panel lines between armor plating aren't really visible. Have you tried adding cavity maps to diffuse and specular maps? It can help adding more depth

Seconding Rekkou's suggestion, would love to see a curvature map added to this actually. Curvature maps add sharp dark values to the creases and highlight edges. Knald does a really great job of it.

I have a curvature map, but I didn't wanna have any lighting information on my diffuse map. Buuut I tried it and it looks good, can easily be chalked down to being dirt in the crevices:

dYmGrSU.jpg

dear god. i was thinking more along the lines of this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gmcube/media/Toy%20Story/bungie.jpg.html 

I really enjoy this idea and the the fact that you really studied the Grineer style to complete it makes me happy.

It's asymmetrical too, something most Grineer fans seem to miss when designing anything based off that faction.

And I have to agree completely with others... The dangle ruins it for me.

I also wish it was slightly larger, width and height wise. Maybe it's because all of the in game back armor doesn't look like armor or cover anything at all and this could be perfect to fill that gap :]

Again, great work. I really hope it makes it in!

Oh! Maybe you could try replacing the dangle with a much, much shorter assortment of looping tubes/ wires... Kinda like the Grin cape DE released a while back, with the small rotating dial/ clock looking piece in the center (can't remember it's name).

Good luck!