Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival 2.0 - The Gauntlet.

letir

I want to offer his version of Survival 2.0, which should improve the current regime. The purpose of processing - to make it more interesting and exciting for the players.

1. Main.

New Survival will have new maps, new timer-rotation system, and specific challenges.

1) Survival maps should be custom-made, just like Spy missions have their own tileset. They will be combined in cluster/battle zone, where each tileset connected with few nearest tilesets and create circular battle arena.

2) Rotation system will replace Life Support for new Heat of Battle system, which is more logical and engaging. Heat will accumulate, when you killing thins. No more RNG and air farming - just killing.

3) Gauntlent will bring dangerous zones, support from Lotus, random events/mutators and special Survival-exclusive mini-bosses.

2. System.

Map constructed from few tilesets. The number of zones is determined by the difficulty of the mission - 3 for easy mission, 8 for hard mission. Every round few zones will be chosen as "battle zone", where is action going. This tilesets should be connected to each other. All other zones will be locked, players will be teleported into "battle zone".

Players should survive some time, or bring Heat meter to 100%. This will let them go to the next round of battlle and possbility for extraction.

Players lose if all team members die or heat meter reaches zero.

There is 4 round (just like classical rotations). With every round enemies becomes be stronger, and map activate more dangerous zones. End of each round have special threat.

First round - bunch of heavies. Second round - eximus heavies. Third and Fourth have special mini-boss squad, like Hyena pack.

After 4 round rotation will return to A, and all dangerous zones will be deactivated (like in round 1). Enemy level will remain (so it still can be endless mission).

3. Map.

Map should be connected in form of circle, not coridor. Every tileset should have connection with 2-5 over -sets, in form of long tubes, coridors or even teleports.

Every map should have difficult architecture, with few layers, respawn points, dangerous zones and Lotus support.

The combat area will increase in size with each round - from 25/33% on round 1 to 100% on round 4.

Respawn points - each tileset have special points for enemies to respawn. This zones protected from abilities (so players can't just nuke it with 4).

Dangerous zones - traps, hostile environment, blocked paths. Every round will activate more and more dangerous zones. Most of them equally dangerous for everyone and deal % damage. Some of them can be activated by players.

Some examples:

Traps: turrets, orokin lasers (all of them), nullifier post (provide stable nullifier bubble in zone).

Hostile environment: toxic/electircal/fire floor, industrial press (hell yeah!), assembly line (cannot deal damage by itself, but moving things around), decompression zone (there is no air there).

Blocked paths: blocked with forcefield (can't touch these), just go around.

Lotus support: sometimes Lotus will drop support devices. This devices can refill ammo, energy, health, revive dead sentinel/kubrow/teammate, etc.

4. The Heat of Battle.

Represents the potential distraction produced by Tenno squad. This is a special numerical scale, which depends on the effectiveness in combat. The counter is incremented by each dead enemy, and decreases over time. The number of points depends on the Heat of the enemy and some factors.

If Heat scale will reach 0%, players will lose mission.

If Heat scale will reach 100%, players will win round. But at the end of the usual round mini-bosses are augmented by special death squad.. This group provides additional award after destruction.

Some actions can improve/reduce Heat gain. This modifications can stack.

Reduction:

1) Any debuff on target: -25% Heat.

2) Kill by AOE: -40% Heat.

Increase:

1) Headshot kill: +25% Heat.

2) Multikill: +15% Heat.

3) Kill by dangerous zone: +30% Heat.

This is not a full list, just examples.

Edited by letir

This has been suggested so many times and every time I find myself agreeing with it. 

Current survival is pretty bad, as per the numerous threads about its shortcomings (life support is a bad idea, enemy spawns are screwy at times, RNG, etc etc).

This new Survival 2.0 (which is prevalent in some form in quite a lot of games already) is infinitely better. It's like Defence but you defend yourselves from an enemy attack.

What caught my eye is the non-linear tiles. Tiles that seem like you really are on a ship or wherever where rooms connect to each other instead of being randomly generated and strung out in a looooong line.

Edited by Keybopsef

Sounds cool. What I dislike about the current survival is that while you are actively trying to, you know, "survive", it is quite easy to lose sight of the timer, run out of air and fail, although you and your team were struggling quite efficiency. It is a distraction that is not really needed. Your suggestion would make the timer an integral part of combat (as in, the harder you fight, the greater your chances of success, not 1) battling the horde and 2) replenish the air).

I must say Surival is fine for me atm how it is, your gamemode is probalby something for Nightmare Surv or maybe a new gamemode completly

But in a mode like that giving a reduction for using Warframe Abilities or use AoE dmg feels wrong, that would remove a lot of Warframes for using this mode even imagen a excalibur blind like 20 targets -> mission lost. Nah thats bad.
Also if there already static zones where Abilities can't be used i dont see the need for giving players a penalty to using them.
Warframe is anyway about the dynamic Gamplay between Gunplay and using Ability's.

Else, i would like a difficult mode like that

So basically, Dungeon Defenders.

Why are we still pushing for Tower Defense gameplay in our Space Ninja games?

Even the Assault game mode in Unreal Tournament was a far better way to play missions then having a static Pod or Life Support. The idea of fighting your way through very aggressive AI units to destroy progressive objectives in Assault was awesome.

But no, lets play TD instead.

Sounds similar to another idea I saw earlier, and I'd like to point out the same thing that I think should be considered.

Most, if not all, of the missions in Warframe have some purpose relative to hostilities going on in the Solar System: stealing information(Spy), planting false intelligence(Deception), creating a distraction for an infiltration operative(current Survival). While I think your game mode could be fun, could you also give a reason that the Tenno are putting themselves in this battle arena that demonstrates some kind of need/impact to protecting the Solar System?

Edit: Otherwise it sounds to me just like a complex gladiator arena that I don't think the Tenno would participate.

Edited by Maicael

It's same reason with Survival - we provide active distraction, by killing eneimes on important object. If we do it good or long enough, they will take reserve forces to suppress our unit, and Lone Operative can steal guarded things.