The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Community Opinion On Devstre63's Shown Sniper Rework?

PrVonTuckIII

When I fail to hit with a sniper rifle, it's not because I miss. It's because someone kills the enemy first. Or someone stands in the way. Or someone crowd controls it. Or something crowd controls me. Or a kubrow appears in front of me. You get the idea.

The combo thingy is a cool idea, but it's just not practical in a game where so much can happen within the player's reaction time.

I often find myself approving DE's work, this time I don't.

Zooms and relative buffs aren't needed.

What Snipers really need are 1) mods like those in PVP for weapons which would dictate different playstyles, 2) maps and 3) encounters designed for sniping.
Open spaces with a lot of covers, a lot of sniper enemies fighting back, maybe a Sniper Boss.

We can yet find some nice open area like the outside rail station in Ceres tileset.
Also Hijack Missions could suit the Sniper playstyle well.

And for God's sake, remove Critical Strike Chance and Damage stats in favor of Weakspot/Headshot multiplyers. This isn't an RolePlayGame, we don't need that rng.

PS: We also need Heat Visors or Night Goggle-like features to detect enemies when Aiming with these guns, swapping for the Scanner -Weapon - Weapon - Scanner is tedious.

Edited by Burnthesteak87

Interested to see how you actually change the zoom level, is controller users are getting pretty limited in having free button, and for punch through what would happen to those who have it already? What would make them unique?

Also snipers are aweome using them atm, it's just a play style.

Edited by (XB1)VTG xSTEVIEx

I think the combo counter is going the wrong way, because snipers are about killing as efficiently as possible, not sinking shot after shot after shot.

Personally I think giving snipers OHK on zoomed headshots and punchthrough is the way to go. If you're good enough to headshot some fools while they are moving and while you're exposing yourself to attack from the back, you deserve that kill regardless of level.

Otherwise they could be given powerful utility and make penetrating defenses their speciality, such as penetrating enemy defenses like nullifier bubbles and globes.

If the shots add utility, that's something else.

Main thing is, SNIPERS NEED TO BE ABLE TO SCALE.

Edited by Evanescent

Not the changes that are needed. At all.

Snipers need punch-through and faster reload speed, at minimum.

Zoom levels in a game where 90% of encounters occur within a 50m~ radius is really unnecessary; add to this stat/reload speed bonuses for zooming in further and it will probably make for the clunkiest game play you've ever witnessed.

And a combo-counter for a sniper rifle seems really silly ... do I even need to explain why? Seems like a band-aid solution that doesn't fit sniper-style game play at all.

To be honest, even with more punch through and faster reload speed, I'm still not sure snipers see much use in such a horde based game. The tilesets make sure of it. I'd still prefer bows, to be honest.

Edited by GideonG

Sniper rifle in this game are an odd duck.

Not viable in normal missions due to lower DPS to other primaries and not viable in covert missions since you you have to lower your DPS to adda suppressor.

And the fact that most engagement ranges are so short in this game the a scope really isn't needed.

As for PvP with no scope sway there kinda OP.

But overall a bow is a better weapon in any situation.

Edited by DxAdder

The problem with the variable zoom is that especially on the Lanka the Rebecca was demonstrating with, there is maybe one or two tilesets where that level of zoom is even going to be worth the effort of using it. Even in the demo, you could see Rebecca struggle with that top level of zoom. Having statistical buffs like critical chance tied to that top zoom level just punishes you for not using that top zoom level, which it would on the majority of the tilesets in the game right now.

The idea of a combo meter sound awesome, I love the inspiration for it and it does fit the theme, although the system needs to be worked in such a way that the timer on the decay doesn't mean that you have to rush the shots, since that punishes accuracy, rather than promotes it.

The buffs to snipers will bring them more into line with other weapons, I still think it needs innate punch through and the ability to take down nullifiers, to give it that specific role, and a buff over other weapons like bows, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Funnily enough the major problem with the sniper rifles isn't the snipers at all, although there are a bunch of others like low crit chance, reload speed etc, its the fact that the bows are stupidly strong in Warframe. The sniper rifles should have stayed as the weapon of choice to take down heavy units with accurate high damage fire, but the bows got such a ridiculous buff with the Paris Prime and then the Dread brought up to the same level, now the Rakta Cernos, that it pushed the snipers role into the bows and not the snipers.

I'm at the though that we'd better wait and see what they actally give us. Snipers are, and always will be a niche weapon class. A flavor gun for those who want to use it for the hell of it. There are more then a few weapons in the game that are fun or with interesting mechanics. But lackluster performance and thus are only dusted off when someone wants to mess around.

All I want out of my Snipetron is for the mag size mod to actually be useful (like double the mag), let me aim without the scope and buff the audio on that thing to make it sound really meaty. .50 cal meaty.

I think snipers would be a lot better if they got rid of the slow firing, low ammo reserves, and scoping ideas entirely. They just don't fit with the actual game. Not one bit.

Think of them as higher caliber Latrons and differentiate them in other ways:

- A special reticle that is more useful for precision aiming, with bright fast to find brackets and a precise indicator like a chevron in the middle.

- Maybe give them a slightly slower mouse speed in aim mode than other weapons to facilitate greater precision.

- Special effects as if each weapon has its own ammo. For instance a Vectis headshot kill can make an enemy explode for good (scaling) aoe damage. Vulkar can guarantee impact on crit or headshot and do powerful ragdoll launching damage on kills. Lanka can give guaranteed electric procs on headshot and punchthrough.

- Armor breaking vulnerability or sonar-like markers for teammates if you hit the same spot several times.

- Crippling abilities like legshots or shooting weapons out of enemy hands.

- The ability to go straight through Eximus and Nully shields.

Make things like this only work in aim mode if you want but please, no more scopes, no more zoom, no more slow firing, no more low ammo, and more more more ways to deal with the many enemies we're fighting at the same time throughout the game.

Edited by Pentastic

I think snipers would be a lot better if they got rid of the slow firing, low ammo reserves, and scoping ideas entirely. They just don't fit with the actual game. Not one bit.

Think of them as higher caliber Latrons and differentiate them in other ways:

- A special reticle that is more useful for precision aiming, with bright fast to find brackets and a precise indicator like a chevron in the middle.

- Maybe give them a slightly slower mouse speed in aim mode than other weapons to facilitate greater precision.

- Special effects as if each weapon has its own ammo. For instance a Vectis headshot kill can make an enemy explode for good (scaling) aoe damage. Vulkar can guarantee impact on crit or headshot and do powerful ragdoll launching damage on kills. Lanka can give guaranteed electric procs on headshot and punchthrough.

- Armor breaking vulnerability or sonar-like markers for teammates if you hit the same spot several times.

- Crippling abilities like legshots or shooting weapons out of enemy hands.

- The ability to go straight through Eximus and Nully shields.

Make things like this only work in aim mode if you want but please, no more scopes, no more zoom, no more slow firing, no more low ammo, and more more more ways to deal with the many enemies we're fighting at the same time throughout the game.

Marvelous!

Sooo, no mention of innate-punchthrough, and we get zoom levels and Critical Ascension.

Eh.  

Honestly, just take this guy's idea.

no more scopes, no more zoom, no more slow firing, no more low ammo, and more more more ways to deal with the many enemies we're fighting at the same time throughout the game.

I mean, yes, it's not a traditional OSOK snipers anymore, but let's face it, that kind of thing has no place in Warframe. 

Edited by TotallyLagging

Also it´s saryn 2.0 all over again.

Community has very clear and good feedback on what they think are the problems - De´s acting like they don´t even read the feedback and adding something totally weird.

The problem here is in my opinion that it´s never communicated what DE thinks are the problems and why they´re adding X change. You can´t really grasp their thought process.

Edited by VoidNomade