Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Calopteryx Syandana (Wip)

Cremesin

Hello everyone!

I've decided I wanted to create an insect wing/ dragonfly inspired syandana for Tennogenl and I finally have the confirmation I can legally use our school's licences to make the project come to life (I'm a 3D student and my home licence wouldn't allow "for profit" work), so I am proud to present to you the Calopterys Syandana!

I'll be updating this thread as I progress and I'm always open to suggestion, questions, comments and constructive criticism on my work.

concepts:

First pass:

Syandana_S.jpg

After some input from friends, I decided on this as a final concept (mixing the 2 on the top right):

Syandana_V2_S.jpg

Additional info:

-The "wings" will have a gradient from the secondary and tint 3 colors.
-They will also be shiny metallic (we need more metallic syandana!) and have a subtle raised insect winglike pattern.
-The attachment point will be semi gloss, non-metallic in the primary color to fit with the airframe on which it will be.

-The black parts will be in tint 4 and will also have a semi gloss non-metallic finish. The overall material might look different from the attachment.
-The white dots on the rim are to be the energy color.
-The syandana will be composed of the base along with 2 sets of "wings" (one big and one small), with hopefully independent cloth physics.

Fun fact: the syandana is named after an order of damselfly. I'm open to different naming suggestions though!

oooohooohoo, me gusta. I want it nao.

In all seriousness, these are some beautiful concepts. I can't wait to see what you can cook up in terms of a model. As for tinting, maybe try a couple things, different schemes, before deciding on what patterns you'll have.

As for shininess, I'm all for shiny things. But with nothing flat matte on it, it might not look too good... Or maybe that's just my opinion clouding judgment.

I was almost going to ask about raised insectoid wing patterns, but I remembered they're veins and *would* be raised. So ignore that XD

Seriously, this looks like a solid foundation. Keep up the kick-&#! work.

For the shinyness of the non wing parts, I was thinking of something around the level of shine on the average warframe. Kind of... not matte, but definitelly not glossy enough to be reflective if that makes sense. It's definitelly something I can play around when I get to texturing.

And yes, the raised patern parts would be either veined or some convex shapes on each "cell" of the insect wing (with the middle a little higher than the sides).

I'm still not too sure about coloring paterns, because I'm worried it might get too busy especially with such a large surface being metalics, but I might try some relativelly simple paterns on the gradiant (I was thinking speckles, but maybe something following the veining, or maybe a more pattern with one of the tint on the attachment so it's not so plain ;)

@blazingcobalt

I was actually more worried about the kyroptera than the igaro. Yes, they both have a similar theme, and as such some similar shapes, but the silhouette is very different in my opinion and I'd be surprised if it caused a problem (somebody from DE would have to come back on this)

Edited by Cremesin

I was actually more worried about the kyroptera than the igaro. Yes, they both have a similar theme, and as such some similar shapes, but the silhouette is very different in my opinion and I'd be surprised if it caused a problem (somebody from DE would have to come back on this)

Don't get me wrong or anything. I'm just trying to point out that if it's too close to something already in the shop that it could get rejected. I think it looks fine currently and would stand out more once finished.

I don't wanna be a party pooper but it seems to retain a shape similar to the Igaro currently in the shop.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I personally like the bottom left one, but I think the bottom middle one stands out the most, given its round-ish shape.

Welp, I went ahead anyway and started doing some modeling (thank you for voicing your concerns. I'm sure it will look less and less like the igaro as it develops though). It pretty low poly for now, but I want to make sure I have everything blocked down on solid bases before adding details.

I tried flipping the smaller wing around and both version look nice so I'd like to know your thoughs about which one you preffer...

(original)

Modeling_01.1.jpg

(Alt. winglet placement. Feels more agressive to me I guess?)

Modeling_01.2.jpg

(a 3/4 view of what I have so far, so you can see the depth better than in the concept. The bottom part flares out quite a bit and I'd imagine it would be more stiff than the top wing section)

Modeling_01.3.jpg

UPDATE:

I'm done blocking everything down! The attachment was such a pain to make for something with double wings so I had to change the original desing I had for it (a few times) while keeping the insectoid theme going.

(the attachment alone on volt)

Modeling_02.2.jpg

(Showing how the wing layering from the side. Not sure about the distance from the frame's body they should be. Too far looks weird, too close might get clipping issue from some frame... The main wings lay flat while the winglets are at a 15 degree angle)

Modeling_02.3.jpg

(all together, on volt again. I wish I had some of the warframe models with the most pointy/ dangly bits for testing)

Modeling_02.1.jpg

I already unwrapped the attachement and I have a first pass of a high poly for it for baking nomal maps too.

To do next:

-Adding polygons to the wings (so they can skin and animate well)

-Unwrapping the wings

-Creating textures

-decide on an orientation for the winglets :P (so far most people seem to preffer the flipped ones, so I might go with those)

Edited by Cremesin