Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wedgehead Excalibur Helmet: Arturius (Now On Steam Workshop)

Syncrasis

tumblr_ny4w48kpvC1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Sunk some time into really trying to get an Excal feel out of the color blocking. Second image is photoshopped for more default Excal colors. I also toyed with the silhouette of the leading edge to get something a little more interesting than the solid line I had before. Struggling a little with the "ear" bits, might end up removing them in favor of some smaller shapes on the main piece in that area. Now I'm gonna finish up the high poly sculpt since the colors are starting to work!

Thanks for your support you guys!! And feel free to crit... especially with the color blocking. By the way, this is the high poly sculpting stage... I can't quickly change the colors themselves except in photoshop (or at least I don't know how to in Zbrush). After I make my low poly version, and bake on my maps, that's when I'll be able to fool around in TennoGen and quickly bust out nicer color schemes. This orange and green is just something I kind of picked by random haha

+1

I'd scrap the ears and put in a type of smooth yet edged cover piece (melding with the style of the helmet) starting from the chin (or where the three spots of channeling lights are) and make it go all the way to the back of the neck.

Slightly getting wider as it goes towards the back, and giving it a sharp or jagged finish to match the other "points" in the helm.

Or

Take the ears out and add a smoother finish with some added peices or scales

Basically what I'm saying, no ears. Haha - besides I think DE tries to avoid human facial features to an extent.

Holes as ears? Sure. Actual detailed human ears? Mm nay

Edited by (PS4)lNoctus

tumblr_ny5rx7OAdK1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I went ahead and took off the ear things. They were never meant to resemble ears but I just couldn't figure out what I wanted out of them. 

The old design just had too many details that didn't contribute to the flow of the design, so I've done a paintover of what I'd like to do with the piece tomorrow. I'm waaay happier, hopefully I can finish it nice and quick now. I want to get as many of these done as I can!

tumblr_nyh2nvl6Ep1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyh2nvl6Ep1qdt0m6o4_1280.jpg

My Loki Prime color scheme haha

tumblr_nyh2nvl6Ep1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg

Default Excal colors. 

tumblr_nyh2nvl6Ep1qdt0m6o3_1280.jpg

And my wires, I came in just under the triangle limit of 3k. Could probably optimize a little more

As for the name, I was doing research and Artorius really fits him I think. It's one of the (less favored) theories for where the King Arthur's name originates from, and directly translate to "plowman" from Latin which makes me immediately imagine him plowing snow with his face 

Also considering Lamorak and Logres, both also found in King Arthur stories. Lemme know what you think.

Edited by Syncrasis

This is easily my favorite Excal helmet. Although I've already said that before.

Do you have plans for Mag/Volt?

Gosh that's a huge compliment, thank you!!

The Polycount contest is ending in the next few days, so I won't have time to do more helmets for this round anyway. I'd love to do more in the future though... definitely will be doing a Nekros at some point heh heh

Gosh that's a huge compliment, thank you!!

The Polycount contest is ending in the next few days, so I won't have time to do more helmets for this round anyway. I'd love to do more in the future though... definitely will be doing a Nekros at some point heh heh

Aww, that's a shame. :c

Well hopefully after the Polycount contest, DE will open up Tennogen for alt helmets too. I saw your one Pope(?) Nekros helmet and I really liked that one as well.

welp time to fanboy and say DE pls.

Aww, that's a shame. :c

Well hopefully after the Polycount contest, DE will open up Tennogen for alt helmets too. I saw your one Pope(?) Nekros helmet and I really liked that one as well.

welp time to fanboy and say DE pls.

Yeah, that's the helmet I'd like to make for him! Though after this experience, I'm definitely going to work on the sketch a lot more first. lol (yeah it's not really pope-y in any way, it's just tall)

After seeing everyone else's Excal helmets... this helmet probs won't make it to the top 3, but I had fun and learned a lot along the way. Here's my final image:

tumblr_nyiu3zjDta1qdt0m6o7_1280.jpg

Thank you guys for all your feedback!

[edit] I'm gonna mess around today and see if I can rework some tech/hard surface areas into more excal-looking shapes, and simplify a few areas

Edited by Syncrasis