The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong Primal Fury Is Broken. Power Range Not Working

(PSN)Akuma_Asura_

Guess you didnt whack them a couple of times with the no reach mod nikana? If you hit the enemy a couple of times it'd wind up looking like the one with reach on it.

It did grow but the range wasn't quite as large as the one with primed reach.

So, wait, mods like Overextended and Reach don't work? Are they supposed to?

... wiki says yes, and so does everyone upthread. Except they're not?

I'll watch, for potential patch notes.

Those were some completely ridiculous attack ranges in the OP. Those gifs were insane.

Only Reach mod affect it at the moment.

So, wait, mods like Overextended and Reach don't work? Are they supposed to?

... wiki says yes, and so does everyone upthread. Except they're not?

I'll watch, for potential patch notes.

Those were some completely ridiculous attack ranges in the OP. Those gifs were insane.

they look op but when you think about the fact that valkyr hits for like 20k per hit minimum and is immortal, excal can snipe with it and atlas hits like a lead train full of lead trains and has mobility too (i've hit up to 110k without critting...) wukong even in those gifs looks tame, like really tame.

All I want from the devs this Christmas is a working Wukong. Please don't leave us going into the new year with a broken Wukong. In DE I trust.

EDIT : Iron jab should be investigated. It's buggy and range locked and doesn't do damage at times. 

Edited by tripletriple

EDIT : Iron jab should be investigated. It's buggy and range locked and doesn't do damage at times. 

Was definitely seeing that last night as indicated by the time stamp.

As for Primal Fury, I'll get in touch with some people that offered (possibly over the weekend) to dive in.

As for Primal Fury, I'll get in touch with some people that offered (possibly over the weekend) to dive in.

I'd like to take this chance to be honest here: I found the ability on its whole when leveling him on his release quite underwhleming as a whole. Not really satisfying. I suspected something was off on it, but I just let it shrug off.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm talking about his 1. I need to play more on Primal Fury before saying anything, but besides some values not working as intended there's nothing wrong with it. (Well, yes, the giant stuff looks weird but that's like zooming 150% on any pic :P)

Edited by NightmareT12

Thanks for all the hard work rebbeca. I know it's not easy to go above and beyond for your job. Appreciate it.

Edited by tripletriple

here take a look t this absolutely awful animation when you run forward, its disgusting

Why the walking forward during the combos?

If you don't move forward 2of the combos have lunges built in.

The lunges in the combos are disabled if you are moving physically walking/running.

Currently I am using the same button combo that I use with Obex Brutal Tide

Tap Melee Once then slide-attack, repeat

On Primal Fury allows easy headshots and more fluid movement - in my opinion, much like tap + slide Brutal Tide (Forward spinning lunge to drop-kick)

Is Rebecca/DE and her supposed helper looking more into it? 

I absolutely love the frame, even though primal fury feels a little lackluster. The melee damage is really strong, but, as some others have suggested, it feels as though you have to try really hard (100+ melee counter) just to keep the staff at about a "Primed Reach distance" (I only use a regular Reach mod and getting to about 100+ melee counter only makes it feel a little bit better).

If the severe range nerf was intended (referring to the Chinese Warframe GIFs), then I understand, but I almost feel as though a lot of people were looking forward to the whole "bigger staff" idea (no pun intended... really). Even if we had less damage and even 1/8th of what was being shown in the GIFs, it'd be really entertaining (Not that I don't enjoy smacking enemies with the butt of my staff and watching them ragdoll...)

I finished testing Primal Fury for now, and I thought I'd share my results here:

• Power range mods do affect Primal Fury.

Primal Fury's range extends with each instance of damage which is tied to the melee combo counter. If the counter resets, so does Primal Fury's range. Power range mods affect the amount of range that's gained with each strike according to the melee range bonus indicated in the abilities menu.

At rank 0 and 100% power range, Primal Fury has a 2% melee range bonus. With no melee range mods equipped on my weapon, here's what the staff looks like when I hit an enemy 0, 10, and 20 times. At 235% power range the melee range bonus becomes 4.7%, and you can see that when I hit an enemy 0, 10, and 20 times, the staff lengthens in larger increments.

This is not just a visual modification. As demonstrated here, I can damage an enemy up to 5 meters away after building up the counter. No melee range mods are equipped on my weapon in that example.

• Melee range bonus is capped at +200%.

Take a look at the following sequence of images. In these examples, I'm using the same loadout as before where the melee range bonus is 2% at 100% power range and melee range mods are not equipped. Here's the staff after 0, 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 90, 100, and 125 hits. Notice how the staff stops extending after 100 hits, indicating there is a +200% range limit.

If I repeat the experiment at 235% power range, here's the staff after 0, 10, 20, 43, and 100 hits. The staff's length did not change after 43 hits. Since the melee range bonus is 4.7% in this experiment, it would require 43 hits to reach the +200% melee range limit.

• Melee range mods increase Primal Fury's initial range.

I don't have Primed Reach, so this is what the staff looks like with +60% range from Reach compared to the default size at +0% range.

• Melee range bonus and melee range mods stack additively, and Primal Fury's hitbox and visuals extend as expected.

This is what the staff looks like with a 2% melee range bonus and 30 hits (+60% range). Compared to the staff in the previous example with Reach equipped and 0 hits (+60% range), you'll notice both staffs are essentially the same length. If I perform 100 hits with a 2% melee range bonus (+200% range) and compare it to a staff with Reach equipped with only 70 hits (60% + 140% = +200% range), you'll also notice the staffs are the same length (don't focus on the left side of the staff as it's clipping into the ground).

With Reach and only 100% power range, here's what the staff looks like after 0, 20, 25, 50, 70, 75, and 100 hits. At 100 hits, the staff has extended to a length that no longer fits onscreen. When I test the attack range (+260%), I am noticing a slight increase compared to the attack range (+200%) observed in the experiment where I had the maximum melee range bonus with no Reach equipped.

However as range is a difficult quantity to measure accurately in this game, and with no Primed Reach to produce a higher attack range, I cannot say I'm completely confident with this observation.

For those of you that have Primed Reach, are you able to notice a difference between the attack range of Primal Fury with and without Primed Reach equipped when the maximum melee range bonus is acquired? In that experiment, Primal Fury would have +365% range. Try to replicate the experiment as closely as possible. You should be able to hit an ancient face-on at a distance farther than 5-6 meters with that melee range by tapping E once. If not, then this might be an actual issue.

Regardless of what's observed, however, the reason why we are not seeing Primal Fury extending to lengths witnessed in the OP's gifs is that the melee range bonus from successive hits is hard capped at +200%. This limit may not have existed when that footage was recorded, and it's entirely possible the mechanics demonstrated in those gifs are outdated considering they do not match those demonstrated in both Wukong profile videos. The enormous range is one thing, but I also find it odd that in the beginning of the first gif the staff is already greatly extended (far beyond +165% range from Primed Reach) without a single hit on the combo counter.

We won't know for sure until it's addressed.

Are you sure your staff is not just visibly getting bigger? Because my staff extends regardless of whether I have range mods on or not. I also was getting the same results with or without range mods. What do range mods do I don't know. Is it capped to a smaller limit? I don't know. Is the staff supposed to stay at the extended length I don't know. 

I finished testing Primal Fury

Wow, thank you for your testing. All the data and results were very enlightening to hear. I suppose I should've went more into testing instead of just assuming that it was broken (I saw a lot of posts about "broken" range as Wukong and I also felt that the staff was only visually getting larger and the hitbox hardly increased).

I finished testing Primal Fury for now, and I thought I'd share my results here:

• Power range mods do affect Primal Fury.
Primal Fury's range extends with each instance of damage which is tied to the melee combo counter. If the counter resets, so does Primal Fury's range. Power range mods affect the amount of range that's gained with each strike according to the melee range bonus indicated in the abilities menu.

At rank 0 and 100% power range, Primal Fury has a 2% melee range bonus. With no melee range mods equipped on my weapon, here's what the staff looks like when I hit an enemy 0, 10, and 20 times. At 235% power range the melee range bonus becomes 4.7%, and you can see that when I hit an enemy 0, 10, and 20 times, the staff lengthens in larger increments.

This is not just a visual modification. As demonstrated here, I can damage an enemy up to 5 meters away after building up the counter. No melee range mods are equipped on my weapon in that example.

• Melee range bonus is capped at +200%.
Take a look at the following sequence of images. In these examples, I'm using the same loadout as before where the melee range bonus is 2% at 100% power range and melee range mods are not equipped. Here's the staff after 0, 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, 90, 100, and 125 hits. Notice how the staff stops extending after 100 hits, indicating there is a +200% range limit.

If I repeat the experiment at 235% power range, here's the staff after 0, 10, 20, 43, and 100 hits. The staff's length did not change after 43 hits. Since the melee range bonus is 4.7% in this experiment, it would require 43 hits to reach the +200% melee range limit.

• Melee range mods increase Primal Fury's initial range.
I don't have Primed Reach, so this is what the staff looks like with +60% range from Reach compared to the default size at +0% range.

• Melee range bonus and melee range mods stack additively, and Primal Fury's hitbox and visuals extend as expected.
This is what the staff looks like with a 2% melee range bonus and 30 hits (+60% range). Compared to the staff in the previous example with Reach equipped and 0 hits (+60% range), you'll notice both staffs are essentially the same length. If I perform 100 hits with a 2% melee range bonus (+200% range) and compare it to a staff with Reach equipped with only 70 hits (60% + 140% = +200% range), you'll also notice the staffs are the same length (don't focus on the left side of the staff as it's clipping into the ground).

With Reach and only 100% power range, here's what the staff looks like after 0, 20, 25, 50, 70, 75, and 100 hits. At 100 hits, the staff has extended to a length that no longer fits onscreen. When I test the attack range (+260%), I am noticing a slight increase compared to the attack range (+200%) observed in the experiment where I had the maximum melee range bonus with no Reach equipped.

However as range is a difficult quantity to measure accurately in this game, and with no Primed Reach to produce a higher attack range, I cannot say I'm completely confident with this observation.

For those of you that have Primed Reach, are you able to notice a difference between the attack range of Primal Fury with and without Primed Reach equipped when the maximum melee range bonus is acquired? In that experiment, Primal Fury would have +365% range. Try to replicate the experiment as closely as possible. You should be able to hit an ancient face-on at a distance farther than 5-6 meters with that melee range by tapping E once. If not, then this might be an actual issue.

Regardless of what's observed, however, the reason why we are not seeing Primal Fury extending to lengths witnessed in the OP's gifs is that the melee range bonus from successive hits is hard capped at +200%. This limit may not have existed when that footage was recorded, and it's entirely possible the mechanics demonstrated in those gifs are outdated considering they do not match those demonstrated in both Wukong profile videos. The enormous range is one thing, but I also find it odd that in the beginning of the first gif the staff is already greatly extended (far beyond +165% range from Primed Reach) without a single hit on the combo counter.

We won't know for sure until it's addressed.

This is what I have been experiencing on PS4.

Basically Primed Reach gets Primal Fury almost to the max Range of the Weapon.

Which is maxes it slightly larger than Orthos Prime Range.

My issue comes from observing in Conclave:

Base Primal Fury Staff Range is too small

-In Conclave you basically have a minute hitbox ; unable to get a combo going because every normal melee will kill WuKong before Primal Fury Staff can grow.

Using the above info and what you have tested as being 200% Range cap:

If the base melee hitbox Range was enlarged from 4m to 6m that would give enough base melee Range to hit enemies.

Wouldn't be as OP as China-gifs, but would help justify the higher energy-drain when comparing to the other Melee Ultimates.

(Exalted Blade & Hysteria have 2.5 base drain compared to Primal Fury 3 base drain:

Yet Exalted Blade has Blind on Slide/Wave Blade + Auto-Parry and Hysteria has innate Life-steal/Status immunity/Knockdown Immunity and Invincibility

I don't think a slightly larger base hitbox for Primal Fury would be game-breaking, but would help improve so e QoL to at least let Primal Fury have Mios or Lacera hitbox Range)

It would certainly be an immense shame should it turn out to not be bugged; I cannot quite comprehend people stating it would be 'more fair' than what the OP's gifs showed, especially when comparing to other similar 4th abilities such as Exalted Blade and Hysteria. A higher base energy drain means we should be expecting more from the ability, not less.

Range does affect it. It's just that it won't extend to dozens of meters or something silly like that, so keep your expectations in check.

What are you even talking about , Rebecca already confirmed it was bugged. Get that negativity out of here

^

It would certainly be an immense shame should it turn out to not be bugged; I cannot quite comprehend people stating it would be 'more fair' than what the OP's gifs showed, especially when comparing to other similar 4th abilities such as Exalted Blade and Hysteria. A higher base energy drain means we should be expecting more from the ability, not less.

Min drain is .75 dude how is that bad? And it only seems high cause usually later on your using Defy+PF together resulting in 2/s(.75+1.25) Which still isnt too high to be not manageable. And then you'd have rage so:infinite energy/skills on

Edited by rawr1254

Min drain is .75 dude how is that bad? And it only seems high cause usually later on your using Defy+PF together resulting in 2/s(.75+1.25) Which still isnt too high to be not manageable. And then you'd have rage so:infinite energy/skills on

How much PWR str do you account into that?

Either way if you go low Efficiency and high PWR you can still keep going almost infinitely if there is combat for rage to work on. Downtime will almost force you to deactivate Defy + PF.

Edited by Ziegrif

How much PWR str do you account into that?

Either way if you go low Efficiency and high PWR you can still keep going almost infinitely if there is combat for rage to work on. Downtime will almost force you to deactivate Defy + PF.

Dont have my build up but i run with 185% str high dur idk what no rng since its broken right now and i think 30% eff and have no problem dishing out tons of dmg with him.