Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Rifle Rework [U18 Megathread]

[DE]Danielle

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what if snipers had innate bubble punch through (both nullifier and arctic eximus). This would be a nice buff that would make snipers viable in the late game vs corpus and void. It would play to their style too as with snipers you are generally away from combat, so instead of pumping 10 rounds to pop a bubble, or running in to suicide kill the nullifier, you can snipe him from a ways away and would almost guarantee that 1 or 2 snipers are present in most deep void and corpus runs.

This has actually been brought up in every sniper thread many times by multiple users and also linking to other threads that mention it. It is obvious from all the responses (mostly negative) that this is what the community was expecting in the rework. As to the reason why DE did not implement this (or most) changes the community requested, it is beyond me.

But yes, I do have to agree, I would love to be the dedicated sniper in my team, perched high up and taking care of nullies and eximus units letting them clean up the fodder. The problem is that with the current situation is that you actually hurt the team using a sniper rifle as many other weapons can out-dps it while other types provide more utility than the sniper class.

Until another overhaul of snipers is implemented, I will continue to use my lex prime which, IMO, is the best sniper weapon in the game right now with none of their drawbacks.

Edited by alfaomega04

I disagree on bubble punch through. This would only trivialize bubbled enemies by taking away the only thing that makes them special. Anyways I agree on some other alternatives like scope showing some weakspots bubbles in order to pop them faster or any skill based way to pop the bubbles faster or insta-pop them in order to increase sniper viability against arctic eximi and nullies.

Making snipers create a weak spot on the first shot, burst the bubble on the second one landing on the same area and leaving the "bubble core" (nully or arctic eximus creating the bubble) open to the third shot might only work without turning any of those bubbled enemies on just another grunt and still better than shooting to the bubble and see it grow back while reloading (unless you're using a vectis/prime)

I disagree on bubble punch through. This would only trivialize bubbled enemies by taking away the only thing that makes them special. Anyways I agree on some other alternatives like scope showing some weakspots bubbles in order to pop them faster or any skill based way to pop the bubbles faster or insta-pop them in order to increase sniper viability against arctic eximi and nullies.

Making snipers create a weak spot on the first shot, burst the bubble on the second one landing on the same area and leaving the "bubble core" (nully or arctic eximus creating the bubble) open to the third shot might only work without turning any of those bubbled enemies on just another grunt and still better than shooting to the bubble and see it grow back while reloading (unless you're using a vectis/prime)

Your post is a perfect example of the multiple ideas that have been presented on how snipers would be able to deal with bubbles. However, I did not elaborate on those points in my previous post since they have been discussed time and time again. Also, I'm actually glad of he changes and the addition of nullies to the game. They changed the way we played endless mission considerably and, for me at least, they are a welcomed change.

The elephant in the room is nullifier (and most priority targets, honeslty) still reward spray-and-pray over skill based sniping. Because of this, my recommendation when it cames to nullies was to only allow headshots to pierce bubble, and at reduced damage. Like that, you would have to actually use a little more skill than spray and pray and the eximus nullifiers would still represent a real threat.

But I digress since those points are have been brought up time and time again and there's no need to reiterate them.

Your post is a perfect example of the multiple ideas that have been presented on how snipers would be able to deal with bubbles. However, I did not elaborate on those points in my previous post since they have been discussed time and time again. Also, I'm actually glad of he changes and the addition of nullies to the game. They changed the way we played endless mission considerably and, for me at least, they are a welcomed change.

The elephant in the room is nullifier (and most priority targets, honeslty) still reward spray-and-pray over skill based sniping. Because of this, my recommendation when it cames to nullies was to only allow headshots to pierce bubble, and at reduced damage. Like that, you would have to actually use a little more skill than spray and pray and the eximus nullifiers would still represent a real threat.

But I digress since those points are have been brought up time and time again and there's no need to reiterate them.

+1 sniper headshots kill nullies through bubbles, this sniper likes.

Soooooo...

11 pages of how rework made snipers even worse than they used to be and...

not a single word from DE?

There was a post from someone saying that [DE]Danielle is compiling stuff to show the devs. Other than that no update on this topic, yet. :/

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, LazerusKI said:

what is broken?

If I had to guess, he'd be a single round clip Vectis fan who hates having an extra round in the clip XD

(I don't see the problem here though like really? How hard is it to press the reload button???)

Vectis Prime broke character from the original weapon, which is basically to have it be a 1 bullet wonder. 

Vectis Prime has lukewarm spec improvement compared to to the plain version and makes mods like Charged Chamber lose their effectiveness because of the second bullet. 

The mod which was supposed to give us a 1-bullet VP takes up one slot but does not do enough to make it viable, ending up with a wepaon worse than the plain Vectis...

Yes I am a Vectis fan.

On 8.3.2016 at 9:56 PM, StickyBaseline said:

2 months, still no reply from DE_Danielle or other staff from DE.

Honestly I don't think that anyone involved in the development even reads these forums, considering the total absence of any kind of attempted communication.

Danielle does read, and I guess she doesn't reply because she's a moderator and not a developer.

Edited by SFTT.Lightning

18 hours ago, SFTT.Lightning said:

Honestly I don't think that anyone involved in the development even reads these forums, considering the total absence of any kind of attempted communication.

Danielle does read, and I guess she doesn't reply because she's a moderator and not a developer.

We'll see, she has said that she will compile the thread and show the developers, this was 2 months ago however.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, StickyBaseline said:

And there we go, thread unstickied, posts still unread, voices never to be heard, all nails are in the sniper coffin, forever a useless weapon class that will never have it's problems fixed.

Effective thread Danielle.

It's really sad. Not just did their re-work not improve snipers, it imho made them worse. Corpus "sniper-only" Sorites really show better than any other mission why no one uses snipers.

And it's not like it would be hard to make them better than they are now. Just a few little changes would go a long way in making them more viable:

• Higher base damage
  • More reliable crit chance (~80% after mods minimum)
  • Innate Punch through
  • Way to deal with Nullifiers

And even better, give us a mission type designed to support sniper gameplay (long range encounters). Which would not just help snipers but also offer some nice variation.

On 3/26/2016 at 3:05 PM, ----Fenrir---- said:

And it's not like it would be hard to make them better than they are now. Just a few little changes would go a long way in making them more viable:

• Higher base damage
  • More reliable crit chance (~80% after mods minimum)
  • Innate Punch through
  • Way to deal with Nullifiers

I'd be more than happy to see Sniper rifles reach Shotgun-tier damage and more while equipped to be less effective in Crowd-control and more to disabling large/important enemies such as Headshooting Heavy Grineer, Back-watering Bursas and, yes, puncture Globe shields that sponge number of shots, in a satisfying succession.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:25 AM, StickyBaseline said:

And there we go, thread unstickied, posts still unread, voices never to be heard, all nails are in the sniper coffin, forever a useless weapon class that will never have it's problems fixed.

Effective thread Danielle.

Saved me the trouble of typing it all out. However lets face it, most of us who've been around a while knew this is exactly what would happen after the first month or two of the issues being ignored. Least we have bows and king Lex prime for sniping...

PS. Thanks for trying Danielle, but we understand a Mod can only do so much.

Edited by DarcnyssWolfe

On 12/3/2015 at 5:39 PM, [DE]Danielle said:
Take aim and breathe steady, Tenno. The following changes have been made to all Sniper Rifles: 

• Sniper Rifles now have a variable zoom that can be adjusted in two ways: 
               • Firstly, your right mouse button is a 'held' aim
               • Secondly, your middle-mouse button (alt-fire) adjusts zoom levels. 
      • Each level of zoom will provide a stat bonus that is applied to each shot. These bonuses are specific to each Sniper Rifle and will be  
         indicated in the scope.
      • Successive kills with a Sniper Rifle will apply toward a combo counter, which will apply a damage bonus for each successive kills.
      • The Sniper Rifle’s combo counter will reset after a period of delay, or when the player misses their next shot.
      • Sniper Rifle scopes have received a visual overhaul.

needs faster scoping, faster movement while scoped,etc.