Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sortie Missions [U18 Megathread]

[DE]Danielle

The Good

• High-level enemies keep you on your toes.
  • Weapon limitations force you to be creative.
  • Serves as a good way to stress-test builds.

The Bad

• Some modifiers don't matter (added enemy elemental damage such as radiation, cold, etc).
  • Some modifiers don't make the mission any harder, just longer - elemental damage resistance is the main offender here, but IPS resistance and improved armour are pretty bad, too; all of them just turn everything into bullet sponges.
  • Some units scale really badly to high levels. The three worse offenders are Sapping Ospreys, Ballistas and Modular Corpus. Sapping Ospreys one-shot everything (except for maybe Chroma, haven't tested that), are hard to hit and spam their little balls everywhere. Ballistas one-shot you from across the map without being seen. Modular Corpus screw up your UI, have various annoying weapons and are... surprise surprise... bullet sponges, not to mention being hard to differentiate from other Corpus in the heat of combat - why not give them coloured clothes like the rest of the Crewmen get?
  • The three-strikes-and-your-out modification to Grineer hacking really punishes people with framerate problems.
  • Reward droptable. It's incredibly frustrating to get Dera Vandal parts or Karak Wraith parts when you could build another two already. I'd rather that, once you've got the weapon, you won't be able to get any more parts for it. I'd take Lenses and Cores over Dera Vandal or Karak Wraith parts any old day.
  • If you have a semi-competent team, Defence is not hard, it's long and boring.

As soon as I get the Nezha Chassis, I'm done with Sorties.

They range from trivial (Spy) to uphill battles against odds so unfair that you either embrace the meta that trivialises them or die horribly twenty seconds in.

It's like DE learned nothing from the Phoenix Escalation challenge.

The Bad

• Some units scale really badly to high levels. The three worse offenders are Sapping Ospreys, Ballistas and Modular Corpus. Sapping Ospreys one-shot everything (except for maybe Chroma, haven't tested that), are hard to hit and spam their little balls everywhere. Ballistas one-shot you from across the map without being seen. Modular Corpus screw up your UI, have various annoying weapons and are... surprise surprise... bullet sponges, not to mention being hard to differentiate from other Corpus in the heat of combat - why not give them coloured clothes like the rest of the Crewmen get?
  • The three-strikes-and-your-out modification to Grineer hacking really punishes people with framerate problems.

The ones in bold, are why I freakin hate Sorties. Especially the Ospreys and Comba / Scrambus units. They're too darned OP.

So today we get a brand new type of pain in this sortie. DE why do you want us to suffer so much? Sortie missions is not a walk in the park and now its this hijack tank (sounds fine) but with null field on it! Just why? The tank itself tryes to kill you by bugging you in textures, corpus with buffed resists and damege tryes to kill you (its fine they always do) but NULL FIELD really? we lost 2 times just because tank got killed by raming in some corpus techs and we where unable to stop them onece they enter null field (tank tryes to ram them). This new type of mission is not fun/hard or challenging/hard its just luck based and buggy if you wont get some good tanky frames to wipe out all enemy on tanks path mission will be lost really fast. Specialy when theres alot of fragile frames in team that die with 1-2 ticks from sapping osprey mines, and as all fragile frames they deppend on theyr powers, but what a surprise null field wont let you deffend the tank with frame powers.

Im not saying the level is unbeateble or something but this artifisually buffed dificulty is not fun at all and feels really frustrating specialy when you get rewarded with 25 useless fusion cores.

Just incase someone will wonder im not new to game and have tryed a multiple ways to play sorties but sometimes they just dont feel worth the effort. Really tell me you didnt waste 30 min time on def/intersept combo to only get revarded with some worthless junk. 

Im just pointing my opinion you may agree/disagree just be polite and adequate.

But please DE do something with reward pool  some items are worthles and have no use at all (espacialy on late game) and with such buffed difficulty everyone who needs fusion cores wont be able to beat the level at all.

Sorry for long wall of text.

Just cant take karak barrels and cores anymore, hope you guys understand.

Edited by xXILXx

So today we get a brand new type of pain in this sortie. DE why do you want us to suffer so much? Sortie missions is not a walk in the park and now its this hijack tank (sounds fine) but with null field on it! Just why? The tank itself tryes to kill you by bugging you in textures, corpus with buffed resists and damege tryes to kill you (its fine they always do) but NULL FIELD really? we lost 2 times just because tank got killed by raming in some corpus techs and we where unable to stop them onece they enter null field (tank tryes to ram them). This new type of mission is not fun/hard or challenging/hard its just luck based and buggy if you wont get some good tanky frames to wipe out all enemy on tanks path mission will be lost really fast. Specialy when theres alot of fragile frames in team that die with 1-2 ticks from sapping osprey mines, and as all fragile frames they deppend on theyr powers, but what a surprise null field wont let you deffend the tank with frame powers.

Im not saying the level is unbeateble or something but this artifisually buffed dificulty is not fun at all and feels really frustrating specialy when you get rewarded with 25 useless fusion cores.

Just incase someone will wonder im not new to game and have tryed a multiple ways to play sorties but sometimes they just dont feel worth the effort. Really tell me you didnt waste 30 min time on def/intersept combo to only get revarded with some worthless junk. 

Im just pointing my opinion you may agree/disagree just be polite and adequate.

But please DE do something with reward pool  some items are worthles and have no use at all (espacialy on late game) and with such buffed difficulty everyone who needs fusion cores wont be able to beat the level at all.

Sorry for long wall of text.

Just cant take karak barrels and cores anymore, hope you guys understand.

It seemed far easier then your post implies, but yeah it just leads us to use the same old tricks to bypass everything.  We aren't really trying harder, we are just doing the same thing.  The only moment of trouble in the sorties today was a scrambus mauling everyone that was bunched up, once, and that was during the mobile defense part.  For the Hijack part, we just killed anything in front and let the tank drive away from almost everything else.

You are right, it does a bit of hassling to some hardware configuarations because of the textures, but other then that, it just seemed like yet one more adventure for another duplicate of things I don't want.

Sorties are remaining the only source of a few rewards that have very little value.  No one likes more then a quarter of the rewards from sorties.  Everyone wants something different and there just is no way to expect you will get anything that you want.

Season 3 reward pool: Karak Wraith, AGAIN? I'm so sick of that weapon already. And it's the THIRD time it's available now. Can't we at least bring back some of the older event weapons for the newer players, while maybe a new one for the current players? Should feel a lot more rewarding than getting the same old stuff again and again.

Revert the changes to Physical Resist or nerf angstrum modular corpus and techs.

Apparently getting puncture procs is fine, but not if they proc like 95% of the time.

Also consider that spectres seem to have a perpetual puncture proc, making them weak, adding in the fact that enemies resist physical damage (which your spectres do due to them not receiving elemental loadouts).

Personally I like Sorties, they are tough, hard and force player to think about warframe mods, guns and playstyle. Thus one-shots from mobs with 2k shield and 1k hp a bit frustrating.

Most missions I do as nova without too much trouble, if your group die all the time and not damaging at all, try a new one )

Looking forward for more missions and wider prize pool with rare mods, maybe primed ones.

...they are tough, hard and force player to think about warframe mods, guns and playstyle. ...

Most missions I do as nova without too much trouble...

I had to cut that down for just a moment.   "Makes you think about warframe modes but I just play as Nova."  The sortie is a bit tougher and people do have to be sure of their frame choice and the mods on there, but most people can set just one warframe and then use that for every sortie and not have to adapt for each phase or for any particular day.

Sorties are just becoming a "How do I deal with levle 80 mobs?" activity rather then something that requires a lot of thought.  Plenty of people have already found lots of ways to deal with those mobs, so the sorties just aren't anything special for most people.  Even though they get the additional modifiers, it just doesn't really make an impact most of the time.  Even some of the nastier combinations don't defeat the group, they just go down a couple times and get back up and move on.

Sorties aren't bad, they just aren't more then tougher enemies with a mostly mediocre reward pool.  The sorties aren't really inspiring any great new play or feeling like the latest challenge.  They are just something to grind through to try and grab that one thing from the pool that we actually want.

Edited by JHarlequin

Season 3 reward pool: Karak Wraith, AGAIN? I'm so sick of that weapon already. And it's the THIRD time it's available now. Can't we at least bring back some of the older event weapons for the newer players, while maybe a new one for the current players? Should feel a lot more rewarding than getting the same old stuff again and again.

You can expect all rewards to show up in two seasons.

We had Dera in 1 and 2, Nezha in 2 and 3 and Karak in 1 and 3.

If this is a trend, we can expect that we get to obtain three different items over three "seasons". In all honesty that does seem fair.

As of Update 18.2 on PC, Sorties are no longer worth it. Too much of a challenge with not enough of a reward, good job DE. You finally gave us a reason to quit playing.

Cant agree more! Thanks DE for all those cheap tricks and cheap rewards.Let's quit together.

When someone asks me if I wanna do some Sorties (Season 3), I'm all 'meh'

I tried an experiment very recently.  These last two days I didn't do the sortie.  It has had mixed results.  I did a couple of alerts I saw up, but didn't play otherwise on one day.  The other day I didn't play warframe at all.  Sorties aren't the only thing to do, but a couple of the rewards are things I sort of need currently.  The rest of it could go in the toilet and I would flush cheerfully.

Basically, as an immediate satisfaction tool, the sorties blow.  They are the latest thing and they aren't encouraging me to keep playing warframe.  It's down to a wait for the next thing to arrive situation again because sorties certainly aren't pulling me into the game.

And let's remain solidly clear.  I am not looking to get the reward I want in one shot.  "Immediate satisfaction" is meant to apply to how well the latest addition to the game makes me want to play, not to the reward.  I was sort of playing sorties to gain the rewards and in general I would say about 20 days worth have been duplicate items.  Not very exciting.  The sorties themselves gave a bit of challenge the first few times and then pfft, they just fizzle because we just use the same old tricks to get through.  It all just boils down to control or bypass armor.

Edited by JHarlequin

I was sort of playing sorties to gain the rewards and in general I would say about 20 days worth have been duplicate items.  Not very exciting.  The sorties themselves gave a bit of challenge the first few times and then pfft, they just fizzle because we just use the same old tricks to get through.  It all just boils down to control or bypass armor.

Which is how I got tired of em. Just meh. These days I just login, farm some Mastery XP for fun, maybe get some fun runs in on a Void Survival with my favourite machine pistols and/or loadout, then call it a day from WF.

I did today's defense mission, solo. And goodness gracious, did the operative kiss the floor so many times.

Half of it was because how borked the damage those Frontier units can dish out. Those Lancers probably dealt as much damage as a lvl 80+ Corprus Tech. Even my Ancient specters got their health cut down in minutes. Is it really necessary for Earth enemies to deal so much damage, when the vanilla variants can barely reach their dps at lvl 80+ ?

And the other half was due to the guy wondering around aimlessly, refusing to take covers and essentially just face-tank'ed the enemies. I noticed that he became a sitting duck everytime he tried to shoot. Can he take covers more often ?

Edited by The_Vile_Blade

Regarding the idea of gaining tokens as sortie mission rewards, i think it was said like it'd be something like 1/1/3 token for first, second and third mission on sortie.

Can it be something like 1/1/1/3, with the twist of having a fourth mission that combines all 3 of the mission penalty in that day's sortie. Like a mission with Reduced energy + Increased shields + Improved resistances.

Also, every sortie has a tiny bit of lore attached to it, related to a boss (which is funny when it talks about intercepting communications and freeing captives on an infested mission). Can this boss show up sometimes in the final mission of sorties ? That'd be sick.

Edited by DrusK

Can it be something like 1/1/1/3, with the twist of having a fourth mission that combines all 3 of the mission penalty in that day's sortie. Like a mission with Reduced energy + Increased shields + Improved resistances.

Physical Resistance, Elemental Resistance, Augmented Armor. Great idea is great.

The RNG is real, I always get duplicates.

Sortie is repeating the same mistake the daily reward did.

And Token crafting is not going to help. Sorry DE, but you're not doing a great job here.

And please no daily reward system here because the trading channel is going to take a major blow.