Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 18: The Second Dream

DE_Adam

For all intents and purposes, I'm throwing a spoiler tag up because there's a few things I want to speak of.  So...

SPOILERS!

Really, hats off for an outstanding update in many ways.  The cinematic scenes involving the Second Dream questline had me glued to my seat and I hope it reinforces the notion that we need an option to replay said quests eventually.  Soloing it was very rewarding in my mind, too, and I if there was one thing I was particularly fond of it was the chatter we got from Alad V throughout it.  I was actually more interested to know what he knew and what he was getting out of this deal for helping us.  And the whole backstory behind the Moon?  Brilliant.  I always wondered why it was left untouched by the Grineer since the Earth was their homeworld, so its big reveal had me grinning right through the mission as I figured out how to battle sentients and beat the snot out of Stalker while also trying to slap some sense into the poor deluded fool.   It was good that he finally got more lines, too! =P  (And as a result he really did get his own cool personality.)

Yet, that all said, I am troubled by the notion that we're all seemingly bed ridden jail bait now who control soulless husks?  Sure, it has a kind of Avatar-esque, Final Fantasy vibe to it and creatively speaking it's a bold, original move.   Do I like it?  To be honest I WANT to like it but, given I don't belong in the same age group as the one I'm supposed to portray, I feel really caged by this revelation and it deadens whatever creativity I had in mind for this universe on a backstory level for my character(s).  Also, one of the things I loved about this game was being a silent protagonist who was not defined by their looks since you could literally imagine yourself to be anyone behind a warframe's mask, giving us creative folks much freedom to work with on a personal level, even though up until now there was a lot of guesswork involved.

Now, though?  Now we're forced to accept a particular mindset, adopt a choice of four voices that are meant to define who we are as 'Tenno' and all of a sudden I feel like I'm playing something like Guild Wars 2 where the concept of choice is an illusion and I'm the same person as everyone else living the exact same storyline, bereft of the option of letting us 'think outside the box'.  This is a trap best associated with MMOs and I honestly didn't expect it with Warframe.  Am I upset?  Nah.  Just disappointed.  Because aside from that I was pretty much enthralled with the story leading up to it and can't think of anything else to be picky about.  (Which is great.  Well done, DE.)

Will I get used to it?  Hard to say.  All I know is anything sexy in this game suddenly feels... well, awkward.

For all intents and purposes, I'm throwing a spoiler tag up because there's a few things I want to speak of.  So...

SPOILERS!

Really, hats off for an outstanding update in many ways.  The cinematic scenes involving the Second Dream questline had me glued to my seat and I hope it reinforces the notion that we need an option to replay said quests eventually.  Soloing it was very rewarding in my mind, too, and I if there was one thing I was particularly fond of it was the chatter we got from Alad V throughout it.  I was actually more interested to know what he knew and what he was getting out of this deal for helping us.  And the whole backstory behind the Moon?  Brilliant.  I always wondered why it was left untouched by the Grineer since the Earth was their homeworld, so its big reveal had me grinning right through the mission as I figured out how to battle sentients and beat the snot out of Stalker while also trying to slap some sense into the poor deluded fool.   It was good that he finally got more lines, too! =P  (And as a result he really did get his own cool personality.)

Yet, that all said, I am troubled by the notion that we're all seemingly bed ridden jail bait now who control soulless husks?  Sure, it has a kind of Avatar-esque, Final Fantasy vibe to it and creatively speaking it's a bold, original move.   Do I like it?  To be honest I WANT to like it but, given I don't belong in the same age group as the one I'm supposed to portray, I feel really caged by this revelation and it deadens whatever creativity I had in mind for this universe on a backstory level for my character(s).  Also, one of the things I loved about this game was being a silent protagonist who was not defined by their looks since you could literally imagine yourself to be anyone behind a warframe's mask, giving us creative folks much freedom to work with on a personal level, even though up until now there was a lot of guesswork involved.

Now, though?  Now we're forced to accept a particular mindset, adopt a choice of four voices that are meant to define who we are as 'Tenno' and all of a sudden I feel like I'm playing something like Guild Wars 2 where the concept of choice is an illusion and I'm the same person as everyone else living the exact same storyline, bereft of the option of letting us 'think outside the box'.  This is a trap best associated with MMOs and I honestly didn't expect it with Warframe.  Am I upset?  Nah.  Just disappointed.  Because aside from that I was pretty much enthralled with the story leading up to it and can't think of anything else to be picky about.  (Which is great.  Well done, DE.)

Will I get used to it?  Hard to say.  All I know is anything sexy in this game suddenly feels... well, awkward.

Use the spoiler tag, it exists for this purpose

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/566925-heads-up-spoiler-prevention-and-you/

Edit:

I do like the idea of having passive abilities for our operator, the active just seems awkward though.

Ordis also lied, we do have seats.

After installing the update, I get huge fps drop overall.

It should be optimized better, because it was way better optimized in the previous update.

Anyone? :( We're still early in the update, so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

EDIT:

I thought it was weird because I monitor my gpu temp on my second screen, and it was below 60 C when gaming and the fps was at a stable 60. Then I went to options and turned v-sync from "auto" to "off" and received over 200 fps in a glimpse. The coil wine from my pc however... louder. My gpu began reaching 70 C in just seconds. I went again to the options and turned the v-sync setting from "off" to "on" and got a more stable 144 fps and now runs at 67 C. Well, good thing that it went allright I guess.

Just leaving this here incase other people might have use for it, should they encounter a similar problem.

This I agree on wholeheartedly. Hopefully we can pray for options in the future to change that, in any way, shape or form.

It's been a while since this game gave me an "Omigosh" feeling, but there you have it, the whole thing was a thrill ride from start to finish, when the revelation came I was shocked and even more surprised over the ending. I loved every moment of it, but in hindsight this does put many a sticks in the wheels of us who create, be it drawing, writing or similar.

It won't hinder us at all of course, but knowing the actual truth as envisioned... doesn't just come across as forced on the players, but a tad bit... creepy.

Regardless, I am looking forward to more options in the future and more Quests like this, may fortune speed your way DE, you've come a long way with us by your side, but there is still so much to be done. Best of luck to you.

This update was SOOOO good I don't think you'll ever top this.

Just wanna throw this in there that the pakal attachements do not show the glowy effects, only place they seem to show are in relays! Other than that LOVE YOU DE <3

they do when you channel with your melee weapon.

When I logged on for the first time after the Update and saw that my liset

HAD EXPANDED

my reaction was to run around like a little kid in a playground and my face was like this the entire time >

tumblr_mzeli51KCq1rjo3roo1_400.gif

THANK YOU DE FOR NOT PUTTING THAT IN THE DESCRIPTION! :D

freak-out-olan-rogers.gif

YOU GUYS NAILED IT 

Edit: This quest pretty much filled all the plot holes in WF ever since the release, great work! But then I would have been salty if I were to find out that I'm not a killing machine badass space ninja, but a human teenager :(

Edit2: I feel complete now but after completing the story I feel so empty DE pls nerf my feels

Archived