Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

War Needs Slash, Not Impact

Vernoc

Indeed

Yet I'm yet to see any other weapon chunk off level 100 armour in a single hit

SI is based of your impact damage

The higher the impact damage

The more armour is taken off

Had to make sure no one else corrected you yet. Shatter Impact removes base armor, which means it takes a specific number of hits per mob type to zero their armor regardless of level. Sure at lvl100 the level armor and armor scaling multiplier are fairly high, but the base armor is no different than if it was lvl20, as such the measly 8 base armor damage is quite noticeable. But here comes your issue, the 8 base armor reduction is the same REGARDLESS of impact value, the mod just requires impact in the weapon (no elemental based weapons).

Pure slash modded dual cleavers will strip armor just as well, but faster than a pure impact war/jat kitty, because they will all do the same 8 base armor damage per hit. Until the mod changes to scale any argument regarding impact weapons using the mod are flawed. I've already posted a topic asking for a buff to the mod in the general section.

Tbh, War is fine...Tenno has shield...it's supposed to kill the Tenno...

I can't imagine how OP War will be if it's slash...

The problem lies underneath the Impact damage, not the war..

We also have health, just breaking the shields isn't enough when there is health underneath it, which impact does less damage vs., a ful 60% the damage against technically. 

I would take 80% shield damage 166% health damage over 125% shield damage, 60% health damage.(slash vs impact, impact vs slash)

Actually, they weren't. Swords were made to cut and thrust, they are balanced this way. For fighting against armor there was a whole category of percussion weapons.
The only way to use a sword as such weapon is to half-sword and perform a "murder stroke", which is a technique and not the default way of using a sword.

You seem to be more documented as I am. However I remember a documentary video in which they showed us the effect of a long heavy sword from European middle age on the battlefield. It was made to cut for sure at first, but on the battlefield, not talking about armor, but just coats of chain mail made them almost an impact weapon rather than a slashing one. It could cut the chain mail and make "light" injuries, but most of the damage was made with the impact and the weight of the sword rather than a move that would cut through the flesh.

You seem to be more documented as I am. However I remember a documentary video in which they showed us the effect of a long heavy sword from European middle age on the battlefield. It was made to cut for sure at first, but on the battlefield, not talking about armor, but just coats of chain mail made them almost an impact weapon rather than a slashing one. It could cut the chain mail and make "light" injuries, but most of the damage was made with the impact and the weight of the sword rather than a move that would cut through the flesh.

Yeah, then again a heavy pole does the exact same thing.

Kinetic energy exists and can be imparted upon targets without significant surface damage, amazing isn't it? /s

Really though, that isn't impact damage in the direct sense, that is more of the damage going through armor, due to the armor could not distribute the energy evenly enough. That is the whole basis behind a bullet proof vest vs plate mail. Plate mail can deal with much heavier hits than a modern vest can without significant damage, but if you make the impact area small enough the plate buckles and is pierced. A bullet proof vest however distributes that kinetic energy over a wide area blocking extremely small but relatively high energy projectiles. 

Plate can deal with momentum well, but not kinetic impact.

Vests can deal with kinetic impact, but not momentum.

Chain mail is closer to a modern ballistic vest, in how it works, but has too many gaps and can buckle from small projectile impacts easily due to its construction.

The reason chain was popular was, despite you breaking your arm from the hit, you still had your arm attached.

The type of damage and result you are referring to is not the result of the weapon in particular, but rather the protection the target has. That is simulated by damage modifiers in warframe.

Edited by Deadoon

Swords can't cut through chain mail. Not when wielded by a human. There is a specific design of swords with a very clear point - made for being able to bypass chains/rings of light metal armor for a few centimeters and for making thrusts into armor gaps easier, but that's pretty much it. Sword is a weapon not designed to fight armor.
Also, I think you're overusing the word "heavy". Even "heavy" longswords rarely weighed more than 2kg. Great two-handed swords did, but even they averaged at about 3kg, rarely exceeding 4kg. And even great two-handed swords weren't designed to be slammed against armor, their primary function was to break spear-wall formations. 
Swords are pretty light. And a well balanced sword has most of his weight distributed towards the handle. It essentially means, that if you were to strike with a desire to inflict a pure blunt trauma, similar sized stick will do the job better than a sword.
Sword is a side weapon. It means, on a battlefield you are likely to be carrying not only a sword, but also something better suited for the combat. A spear, a halberd, a poleaxe, a bow, a mace, etc.

Are you guys looking at WHAT SHOULD IT BE TO KILL TENNO or ITS A SWORD?

Because it's a sword, and it should deal slash damage.

Giving Puncture or Impact to a sword means that Jat Kittag could easily be a slash weapon and f k the logic.