Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has Warframe Been Ruined By The Update 18 Reveal? [Spoiler City.]

StabbyTentacles

I'm not sure if it ruins it for me, but it certainly makes me cringe a little from what I've seen so far.

1. Having Lotus always popping up mid mission gets annoying. Now I've got a kid rambling on as well, while Ordis waits for me to come home so he can join in on the fun of torturing me.

2. The kid talks to himself...or treats the Warframe like a teddy bear that he's assigned some imaginary personality to it.

3. I feel cheap, knowing my operator is safely tucked away. Also I do not relate to this small child as a player. To me this just another NPC that falls below my Kubrow while it sits creepily in the back of my ship. Plus the male model looks like the female model, so I'm just going to choose a female operator, because staring at some eleven year old with man boobs is soooooooooo disturbing. Plus from what I've seen on hairstyles I get this horrible Destiny feel that makes me want to choose bald.

4. Why even bother with male and female humanoid forms for Warframes? Seriously we could be running around in animal forms better suited for combat. Take Chroma. He doesn't need human legs, it could have been far more raptorish with this new information on how operators and Warframes work. We could accomplish all our missions in some giant robot spider from Watchdogs just as easily.

5. I can see the De crew sitting around a bar after an event coming up with this plot device, while everyone makes mind blown hand gestures, but is there a long term plan for this kid? We're going to see upgraded character facial sliders and new dialogue? Did they even vet this concept next to all the previous dialog, or are we heading to an Akira sorta moment when the plot device hampers the game and they make the operator an energy being, so they can stick the player back into the Warframe proper, instead of sitting in their space van playing with their RC cars...shaped like Silent Hill buxom females?

Ultimately I'm looking forward to U18, but I'm certainly having mixed feeling on the big reveal.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

In my opinion there are two ways DE could have gone about this.

Either make it more anonymous for lack of a better term, so I can still feel like I am the Operator.

Or give us a really fleshed out character creator. Something that allows you to make a character that you would actually want to be.

I find the character customization for the kid to be more than lackluster. I fiddled around with it for a while but basically came

out with something that only makes me cringe less than the other choices i had. This isn't alleviated by the likelyness of more options

for customization coming in the future.

This is might be more pronounced for me because i am extremely picky when it comes to customization in RPGs.

(And the Focus Trees and the "Character Customization" of the kid brought me to the comparison between Warframe and an RPG)

I can spend hours customizing my character in an RPG. It doesnt have to be anything like me. It just has to be something that

makes me say "This is my Avatar". (but to be fair one of my two Mass Effect characters was the generic male shepard preset

because i found him just so damn awesome)

They tried to give us Operators a face ingame and i applaud DE for that. To my personal disdain however, this face is one that i can't immerse

myself into.

Absolutely. My own identity in the game felt replaced, and I wasn't too fond of that. Would have been much happier had the operator remained masked.

I fail to see any kind of 'Saiyan' similarity here? Myabe I'm missing something about the DBZ series.

Regardless, it was more or less implied that the Warframes themselves were always some type of 'biological machine' but that doesn't exclude them from having personalities. Each frame was still designed for their 'original' or 'pre-tenno' operator and each frame could be the replicated embodiment of said operator.

Don't know if Focus related stuff should be in spoilers, doing it anyways.

Focus isn't a grind nor is it intended to be. It's meant as a way to reward you for continuing to use maxed out weapons/frames. You want to grind it then you can but there is no 'real' reason for it to be.

Edited by trst

You don't have to do the quest or accept that that's the way it is. You can just be stubborn and pretend your way is the way it is.

Seems like that's what we're going to have to do, unless DE suprise us and confirm the warframes are alive and their own being.

I'm not sure if it ruins it for me, but it certainly makes me cringe a little from what I've seen so far.

1. Having Lotus always popping up mid mission gets annoying. Now I've got a kid rambling on as well, while Ordis waits for me to come home so he can join in on the fun of torturing me.

2. The kid talks to himself...or treats the Warframe like a teddy bear that he's assigned some imaginary personality to it.

3. I feel cheap, knowing my operator is safely tucked away. Also I do not relate to this small child as a player. To me this just another NPC that falls below my Kubrow while it sits creepily in the back of my ship. Plus the male model looks like the female model, so I'm just going to choose a female operator, because staring at some eleven year old with man boobs is soooooooooo disturbing. Plus from what I've seen on hairstyles I get this horrible Destiny feel that makes me want to choose bald.

4. Why even bother with male and female humanoid forms for Warframes? Seriously we could be running around in animal forms better suited for combat. Take Chroma. He doesn't need human legs, it could have been far more raptorish with this new information on how operators and Warframes work. We could accomplish all our missions in some giant robot spider from Watchdogs just as easily.

5. I can see the De crew sitting around a bar after an event coming up with this plot device, while everyone makes mind blown hand gestures, but is there a long term plan for this kid? We're going to see upgraded character facial sliders and new dialogue? Did they even vet this concept next to all the previous dialog, or are we heading to an Akira sorta moment when the plot device hampers the game and they make the operator an energy being, so they can stick the player back into the Warframe proper, instead of sitting in their space van playing with their RC cars...shaped like Silent Hill buxom females?

Ultimately I'm looking forward to U18, but I'm certainly having mixed feeling on the big reveal.

This is true, it doesn't make sense to make your remote controlled suit humanoid due to all the flaws involved with a humanoid form. bipedalism is only good for running, when you're powered by energy that ignores the laws of the universe it stops making sense to build a form just good at running. why not pilot a giant ominously flying robo squid?

the warframes are probably infested shaped to human forms, but still look at the full breadth of infested body types all of them better at their job than the bipedal tenno.

I wonder how many people would be less upset if their Tenno was an adult or young adult.

I personally like my Tenno. I would love to be able to make her an adult, but I don't mind how she is now.

I'm also curious as to how many people would be more accepting if they had only started the game recently.

I wonder how many people would be less upset if their Tenno was an adult or young adult.

I personally like my Tenno. I would love to be able to make her an adult, but I don't mind how she is now.

I'm also curious as to how many people would be more accepting if they had only started the game recently.

I bet those who are complaining would love that. However, I think the "child" (even though the Tenno are anything but) aspect will be important to maintain so as to showcase the fragility of the Operator. After all, the Warframes, the monsters are still the ones who are badass, and it seems to me that the Operator simply provides energy, suggestions and, well, life, to whatever lies beneath the suit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we as the players likely aren't supposed to identify as Tenno but as the symbiosis between the "child" and the Frame. We are what makes them whole.

Evangelion¿? Cant read all opinions right now. I only read 2 first pages, but what if¿? Warframe is like evangelion¿? Frames controled by kids and with a posibility of a personal mind inside the warframe.

Sounds like the way to ride this one through. thanks.

actually the law has plenty of stuff that hinted towards this like in the ember prime and rhino prime info in the codex you just had to go read up oin it

True, what my point was, was the codex is fine where it is/was, now its been shoved down our collective throats, also Super Saiyanframe.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Shhhh. Let me play you all a sad song on the world's smallest violin.

Wow I’ve not seen anybody try so hard to seem legit, I laff. #iknowhowtogetattention #look@me #whywontanybodylook@me?

Yep, those kids are actually controlled by gigantic void squids and we're actually the void itself.

20a9iz4.gif

Dude, mind=blown. 

But in all serious, mind=blown

I just re watched the final cutseen on youtube and here is a monolog by Hunhow to Stalker:

"but you are asking yourself. Was I one of those wretched things?"

"you know the answer. You still hate them... you still hate... yourself."

I am also not that settled with what I am really is in game. Maybe it is a part of a plot to make us hate our self? If it is then its the great immersion.

Maybe there will be a choice to become something more of Stalker in next quest?

OMG please. YES. 

Edited by StabbyTentacles

I don't think it's been ruined. 

It's a cost/benefit thing, and I'm sure some peoples' headcanon was more interesting and unique than what we've got, but DE are making what we've got, and it's too late to change.

It's not my most perfect ever, un-cliched canon, that I could have imagined, but it's pretty good in its own way, it's beautifully presented in the quest, and I can live with it happily enough.  I still get a sense of uniqueness from the frames (because I'd always viewed them as kind of like semi-living suits anyway, so no uniqueness lost).

Seems like that's what we're going to have to do, unless DE suprise us and confirm the warframes are alive and their own being.

Except that already happened when your Warframe surprises both the Tenno and Stalker (heck even Hunhow says what the heck is going on) by ripping out his sword. I would not take the enemy's statements that wants to genocide us as literal fact to what Warframes are, when he himself gets proved wrong and failing to kill the Tenno.

Edited by PoopManZ

Honestly, the story for the quest makes a lot of sense. Just take your mind off the game for a while, do something else and then come back.

I like this thing about the Tenno being these kids/young adults/whatever controlling the warframes.

Lotus calls herself a "mother", so she was taking care of them. The Sentients were planning on erasing the Tenno out of the picture, but the Lotus couldn't accept it.

So there she goes to save the day, by hiding the Tenno on the moon and into the Void. Perhaps she thought they could be changed, and avoid the past to come back and haunt the solar system again, like the old Tenno did.

Edited by RextintorZ

I don't think it's been ruined. 

It's a cost/benefit thing, and I'm sure some peoples' headcanon was more interesting and unique than what we've got, but DE are making what we've got, and it's too late to change.

It's not my most perfect ever, un-cliched canon, that I could have imagined, but it's pretty good in its own way, it's beautifully presented in the quest, and I can live with it happily enough.  I still get a sense of uniqueness from the frames (because I'd always viewed them as kind of like semi-living suits anyway, so no uniqueness lost).

Yes. All you're saying is accurate. But the whole second dream is retcon, so…

The first dream was the previous canon, and now it’s been retcon’d.

Also given that this is all 2-3 years on, since I’ve been previously, quite happily, spaceninjering it up.

Gimme my space Ninja!!! Whhha whhhaaaaa!!! #ditchthesnivelingSuperSaiyan #iwantmyninjaback

*I’d like an option in the future to ditch the sniveling Super Saiyan.

**You know that sniveling Super Saiyan I’d like an option in the future to ditch it.

Also given that this is all 2-3 years on, since I’ve been previously, quite happily, spaceninjering it up.

Gimme my space Ninja!!! Whhha whhhaaaaa!!! #ditchthesnivelingSuperSaiyan #iwantmyninjaback

**You know that sniveling Super Saiyan I’d like an option in the future to ditch it.

Do you even know what a retcon is?

That isn't a retcon, and thats not how plot works. Doing that just to cater to a couple of people's headcannon would completely devalue everything, and just turn it into a choose your own adventure book when it has never been that way. Just hamfisting a "lol just dump the Tenno, the Warframes can control themselves now" is just dumb. Especially when ever before, the Warframes were never hinted to be more than just armor/tools to be used by the Tenno. And if it were to ever happen, we would have a crapload of Warframes going crazy and murdering everything like in Rhino Prime Codex, you don't just wipe out the controller without something happening. And with the way Void magic works, it wouldn't make sense to just vaporize the Tenno and just have them be essence without Void interfering if you were to jump into Void space, or be near anything Void related.

What would you be suggesting would lead to catastrophic results using everything we have been given. 

Edited by PoopManZ

The warframe pulling a sword out doesn't necessarily means conscious. I've argued before it may just be a security measure kicks in, since look at how the frame are not even moving until stalker literally put his hand on the operator. You can argue it's for dramatic effects but the fact that the warframe lies helplessly on the floor probably just turned alot of players away. Also that quote, never heard that one before. I've only heard the chair one before. It may be that the fatigue caused by uses of warframe can actually be manifested on the operator, who knows.

i thought the lotus took control of the frame for a short time, but i guess thats kinda ridiculous and security measure seems more likely than my theory. ask DKDiamantes, im sure he can scrape up some scraps to piece this together.

btw that was a joke dude, there is no quote like that in the game, it was just altered for the 'what they smell like' post above

Honestly, the story for the quest makes a lot of sense. Just take your mind off the game for a while, do something else and then come back.

I like this thing about the Tenno being these kids/young adults/whatever controlling the warframes.

Lotus calls herself a "mother", so she was taking care of them. The Sentients were planning on erasing the Tenno out of the picture, but the Lotus couldn't accept it.

So there she goes to save the day, by hiding the Tenno on the moon and into the Void. Perhaps she thought they could be changed, and avoid the past to come back and haunt the solar system again, like the old Tenno did.

Lotus as my mother is fine, great even; but it really could’ve been done a million other better ways. (Less literal for one.)

Tenno being these kids/young adults/whatever feels like Revenge of the Sith, the concept is still hilariously bad imho. Going to the relay and having this wide variety/diversity of tenno hanging out seemed really compelling, kinda like a space utopia! Were all in this together yada yada…

Now we’re not only all the same, but we’re also all kids/young adults/whatever… meh Just to be clear being a kids/young adults/whatever isn’t killing it for me. Being kids/young adults/whatever Super Saiyan’s instead of uber cool space ninja’s is. :/

Edited by StabbyTentacles

That isn't a retcon, and thats not how plot works. Doing that just to cater to a couple of people's headcannon would completely devalue everything, and just turn it into a choose your own adventure book when it has never been that way. Just hamfisting a "lol just dump the Tenno, the Warframes can control themselves now" is just dumb. Especially when ever before, the Warframes were never hinted to be more than just armor/tools to be used by the Tenno. And if it were to ever happen, we would have a crapload of Warframes going crazy and murdering everything like in Rhino Prime Codex, you don't just wipe out the controller without something happening. And with the way Void magic works, it wouldn't make sense to just vaporize the Tenno and just have them be essence without Void interfering if you were to jump into Void space, or be near anything Void related.

What would you be suggesting would lead to catastrophic results using everything we have been given. 

All you're saying is true. What I'm saying is whats been given isn't the only way it could've been done. btw I'm glad you like it so much.

Lotus as my mother is fine, great even; but it really could’ve been done a million other better ways. (Less literal for one.)

Tenno being these kids/young adults/whatever feels like Revenge of the Sith, the concept is still hilariously bad imho. Going to the relay and having this wide variety/diversity of tenno hanging out seemed really compelling, kinda like a space utopia! Were all in this together yada yada…

Now we’re not only all the same, but we’re also all kids/young adults/whatever… meh Just to be clear being a kids/young adults/whatever isn’t killing it for me. Being kids/young adults/whatever Super Saiyan’s instead of uber cool space ninja’s is. :/

Nothing has eliminated the Warframes, style, teaching/schools, or the fact they are still their own being despite being tools. And just saying super saiyan's trivializes it. 

Just came here to say.... It's lovely to see so many veterans quit because of the second dream results.

It shows how naive you are.

Every time I see a player ragequit , I laugh a little.

Even though it's actually sad. You can see how much effort was put into the creation of the second dream. That's not how you appreciate that effort...

And all just because the new lore doesn't match with their headcanon.

Your favorite series reference here doesn't pertain to interactive media, particularly ones with no established lead, and where the avatar is merely a conduit of the player's own actions and motives. 

The situation here is also completely irrelevant to your anime shipping fetishes. That's just some esoteric nonsense you wanted to obscurely reference here by reaching really hard with a comparison that makes no sense..

When bad writing effects your customized player character, who has mainly been a conduit of player Id, well, then disapproval is going to be had, particularly when you have been spending money on the game, as opposed to you reading Naruto for free on scanalation sites.

Your Naruto comparison would only have some kind equivalency if it was revealed that Naruto was being controlled by Nagato and was actually a corpse the whole time, though I'm sure you'd like a bad reveal like that as well.

When bad writing effects your customized player character, who has mainly been a conduit of player Id, well, then disapproval is going to be had, particularly when you have been spending money on the game, as opposed to you reading Naruto for free on scanalation sites.

UrielColtan has said it far better than I. Thanks UrielColtan.

UrielColtan has said it far better than I. Thanks UrielColtan.

This, This x1000

The whole game for me was 'developing your character to be the way you want it' and then we had this dropped on us making all of that irrelevant for now.

Just came here to say.... It's lovely to see so many veterans quit because of the second dream results.

It shows how naive you are.

Every time I see a player ragequit , I laugh a little.

Even though it's actually sad. You can see how much effort was put into the creation of the second dream. That's not how you appreciate that effort...

And all just because the new lore doesn't match with their headcanon.

ragequit?

o.O

I laff @ u

ragequit? Is that anything like trying desperately to seem cool? Like what/where you’re going? You've so nailed desperately trying to seem cool. Like, slow clap nailed it.

i found the answer that de gave us to fill in a few blanks and even chuck so throwbacks to dark sector. as for the thing where people think the frames lose there personality its all still there the frame is a conduit too channel and mold your power.

i have heard people complaining about stuff like how can a guy control a female frame and stuff and i always liked to think that the breasts on the feamels is where say the power amps where in the body  and that they had been strtegically placed to give the frame more human forms