The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

#1  Yes I do still control my warfarme although now it feels like nothing but a mindless puppet to me.

#2 that's my problem. they are sitting there doing nothing while they talk about honor and stuff. how can you fight honorably if you can kill a corpus except  if he kills you it doesn't matter?

#3   alad V and the lotus do talk to you in missions. the only one I can stand is alad. the operators and lotus's voice lines drive my insane with how annoying it is. even if I mute them I have a pop up of their ugly faces reminding me that they are here.

#4  I can't think im the warframe anymore. and if I did then the tenno kid I had to create would be controlling them. if that really was happening then I would be sitting at my PC not playing while the game plays itself since the tenno is really in control.

unless I am supposed to be the tenno at the back of the ship. which I really do not want as they say random stuff I never think of saying and don't think like I do.

an example is when they criticize the corpus for being greedy, were as I love the fact that they are so greedy and support the corpus all the time.

I have a new headcannon for now where the Warframe is alive, it's own thing, it has it's own personality, we just have to protect the operator now. I don't use the 5th ability so I forget it's there.

Yes I do still control my warfarme although now it feels like nothing but a mindless puppet to me.

that's my problem. they are sitting there doing nothing while they talk about honor and stuff. how can you fight honorably if you can kill a corpus except  if he kills you it doesn't matter?

alad V and the lotus do talk to you in missions. the only one I can stand is alad. the operators and lotus's voice lines drive my insane with how annoying it is. even if I mute them I have a pop up of their ugly faces reminding me that they are here.

I can't think im the warframe anymore. and if I did then the tenno kid I had to create would be controlling them. if that really was happening then I would be sitting at my PC not playing while the game plays itself since the tenno is really in control.

unless I am supposed to be the tenno at the back of the ship. which I really do not want as they say random stuff I never think of saying and don't think like I do.

an example is when they criticize the corpus for being greedy, were as I love the fact that they are so greedy and support the corpus all the time.

I honestly don't know how could you play this game for over 2 years then (or whatever time you've been playing).

Lotus and the others always talked to the player, that didn't change.

Until now, if you were killed it didn't matter, you were back on your ship. Pick another frame and you're ready to go, that didn't change.

You say they criticize the corpus for being greedy, they, not you, they criticize the corpus. You can still choose to help them if you want.

The operators might think they control the warframes, but as seen at the end of the quest, the frame acted on it's own, so...

Again, I fail to see the issue here, I'm not saying people can't feel like you do, by all means. I'm just saying that the game it's still the same and works the same, now you have an operator from which you can get more power to use when you go out in missions using -your- frames.

You still decide what to do and who to kill, nobody changed that.

I have a new headcannon for now where the Warframe is alive, it's own thing, it has it's own personality, we just have to protect the operator now. I don't use the 5th ability so I forget it's there.

Exactly my point.

Edited by LeaserResael

Yeah I was thinking about that too, to go a step further wouldn't it have been great if the Lotus was a hivemind, and we all had our own Lotus driving the tenno/warframes from our ships. Now I don't think there would be too may opposed to having the Lotus pull out strings. Also she's been telling us what to do since day 1, and it fits, and It'd give us a real reason to protect her, and not this recent invention, (see space kitten with muffin body deal) ;3

c5928d9465ab472040317b4c5f8f680e.jpg

Edited by StabbyTentacles

Yeah I was thinking about that too, to go a step further wouldn't it have been great if the Lotus was a hivemind, and we all had our own Lotus driving the tenno form our ships. Now I don't think there would be too may opposed to having the Lotus pull out strings. Also she's been telling us what to do since day 1, and it fits, and It'd give us a real reason to protect her, and not this recent invention, (see space kitten with muffin body deal) ;3

Perhaps. I just mainly want the Warframes to be their own being, to be alive and one day hopefully independent from the operators (Future quest who knows) Of course it'd be optional here, Those who want the Operators can, and those who don't, simply won't have the operators and their Warframes are 'Alive' and they truly are them. That'd be interesting and both sides here would be better off.

Perhaps. I just mainly want the Warframes to be their own being, to be alive and one day hopefully independent from the operators (Future quest who knows) Of course it'd be optional here, Those who want the Operators can, and those who don't, simply won't have the operators and their Warframes are 'Alive' and they truly are them. That'd be interesting and both sides here would be better off.

Ultimately I agree I want my warframe spaceninja back, what’s being done here is formulated/devised immersion breaking, suddenly, you're made aware of the time you've spent, or are spending in the game. Reminded that you are a mere mortal playing a video game - and not, disappointingly, a powerful warframe. Or consistently reminded that you are a mere mortal playing a kid tenno, disappointingly, and no longer the powerful tenno/warframe composite.

Edited by StabbyTentacles

I honestly don't know how could you play this game for over 2 years then (or whatever time you've been playing).

Lotus and the others always talked to the player, that didn't change.

Until now, if you were killed it didn't matter, you were back on your ship. Pick another frame and you're ready to go, that didn't change.

You say they criticize the corpus for being greedy, they, not you, they criticize the corpus. You can still choose to help them if you want.

The operators might think they control the warframes, but as seen at the end of the quest, the frame acted on it's own, so...

Again, I fail to see the issue here, I'm not saying people can't feel like you do, by all means. I'm just saying that the game it's still the same and works the same, now you have an operator from which you can get more power to use when you go out in missions using -your- frames.

You still decide what to do and who to kill, nobody changed that.

for the entire time I did play warframe I always hated the lotus. both her voice lines and her motives.

I just kept her on mute and ignored her the entire way. even though I followed her since the game doesn't give you any other option it still felt like I had a tiny bit of freedom.

I hoped that one day I had the choice to change sides and be able to fully break away from her.

but now it turns out im meant to be this kid or warfame being controlled by a kid who is basically the child of lotus and who loves her.

and yes I know turning traitor would never be made possible by DE but I still liked the Feel of the game and felt more free back then.

now that I have the tenno kid in my ship its 3 annoying pop up boxes I have to deal with. lotus the kid and ordis.

It still doesn't matter unless the tenno is killed. if they aren't killed  the warframe gets destroyed and they get a new one.

as for helping the corpus and the warframe acting on its own, your right about both of those things. 

the reason I don't like it is because its like if fallout new vegas had its own narration. imagine you were killing a nameless raider and your character said "man I really didn't want to kill him!" and then fell to the floor sobbing.

that's what its like for me right now. this tenno kid is saying stuff I would never say and ruining my experience.

as for my warframe being fully controlled by me... it doesn't fully feel like that. if I was fully in control I would kill the tenno take the liset for myself and turn traitor.

in fact if that happened the game might change to perma-death as the tenno is what brings back the warframe.

lastly, its fine if you can't undertsnd my issue. ill try and explain it though with an example.

I once was reading a book series I liked quite a lot. then I read the last book and the king of the world in that book basically destroyed everything killed everyone and didn't explain why.

the whole series ended just like that and I had such a sour taste in my mouth that I punched the book and was thinking of burning it.

only in the books case it was a fantasy series and I could easily find another, and I have.

but with warframe its different. there is no other game that even comes close to how warframe is in its own unique way.

so like with the book I have stopped playing it and have had thoughs about uninstalling it. but unlike the book I cannot go to a book store and buy another warframe.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

Edited by Agentcheese

that's what its like for me right now. this tenno kid is saying stuff I would never say and ruining my experience.

You can turn him off in options.

Ultimately I agree I want my warframe spaceninja back, what’s being done here is formulated/devised immersion breaking, suddenly, you're made aware of the time you've spent, or are spending in the game. Reminded that you are a mere mortal playing a video game - and not, disappointingly, a powerful warframe. Or consistently reminded that you are a mere mortal playing a kid tenno, disappointingly, and no longer the powerful tenno/warframe composite.

Wow, that's so different from my experience.  The feeling while playing a Warframe is exactly the same

Before the revelation I, the Tenno (the character I the player have always been, and still am, roleplaying - and now I know what I really look like and I can customize how I look!) thought I was the Warframe.

After the revelation, I the Tenno, now know who I am, and what I really looklike, but the subjective experience (in my VR pod on the Orbiter, which is just another VR pod like the golden Orokin VR pod I was in on the moon) is EXACTLY THE SAME

I feel like I'm the Warframe, just like I always did.  I'm getting sensory feedback from the Warframe's sensors, I'm looking out through its "eyes" , I have direct control of it, just like I always did.  NOTHING HAS CHANGED in terms of subjective "feel". 

I still feel like my Warframe while I'm piloting it, just like Jake Sully in Avatar feels like he's his avatar while he's piloting it.

For those of you who think you're playing as kids, you're not. You are playing an Orokin exposed to the Void as a child, over 100 years before the start of the modern Warframe. They may look like children, but they really aren't. You're not playing as an ordinary human kid, you are playing as an Ancient Orokin/Tenno powerhouse.

After the revelation, I the Tenno, now know who I am, and what I really looklike, but the subjective experience (in my VR pod on the Orbiter, which is just another VR pod like the golden Orokin VR pod I was in on the moon) is EXACTLY THE SAME.

People seem to be mistaking the Tenno as "playing video games" in Virtual Reality pods. Your Tenno is having his conciousness transferred into a different body. It's not Virtual Reality. Edited by (PS4)Redemption_015

For those of you who think you're playing as kids, you're not. You are playing an Orokin exposed to the Void as a child, over 100 years before the start of the modern Warframe. They may look like children, but they really aren't. You're not playing as an ordinary human kid, you are playing as an Ancient Orokin/Tenno powerhouse.

People seem to be mistaking the Tenno as "playing video games" in Virtual Reality pods. Your Tenno is having his conciousness transferred into a different body. It's not Virtual Reality.

So if they look like a kid, act like a kid, but are over 100 years old they are not a kid? Sorry, but when your Tenno is saying cheesy lines that sound like something a child would say, that does not help the whole "Ancient warrior" setup." We all know the Grineer have disfigurements due to the cloning process breaking down, but our Tenno don't have to keep bringing it up by calling them ugly.

As for the second thing, it is basically a cross between Matrix and EVA units where we feel what they feel and control them, but instead our bodies are far away from all the danger to a point? Still doesn't change the fact that Grineer and Corpus look more heroic because they put their lives on the line up close and personal while the tenno can just rebuild their dolls if they get too damaged.

I love it, I wouldn't change it, though to be fair I guessed 84% of this exact scenario that happened 5 months ago, even had a funny rage on my lore thread about it. (Oh how he must feel now that I'm right.) Anyways, its perfect to me, it gives me more connection to my suit, I dont feel like a mindless puppet at all now. However before U18 I did, I felt like the lotus was controlling me, barking orders I mindlessly followed as her robot slave assassin. That every suit was just part of her collective army and we where just reconstituted flesh inside a suit doing her bidding.

But now thanks to this patch, I feel free and see my true self. I dont see the warframes as puppets but rather semi living weapons, extensions of my own body, wielded by the raw power of my soul itself. Making them extensions of my body and will, each catoring to a small peice of my greater power. (To put it bluntly I feel like the father of the humongous from full metal alchemists and the suits are my humongous peices, each weilding a small part of my greater power.) 

So yea judge me how you want but this to me is gold, and I want it to stay.

As for the second thing, it is basically a cross between Matrix and EVA units where we feel what they feel and control them, but instead our bodies are far away from all the danger to a point? Still doesn't change the fact that Grineer and Corpus look more heroic because they put their lives on the line up close and personal while the tenno can just rebuild their dolls if they get too damaged.

As if we couldn't just revive before when we died like nothing really happened and get back to killing. I think there's more to that and in the official canon tenno does suffer when their warframe dies, gets tortured and so on, and by the extend - they can die. Something like a sensory overload where too much S#&$ inflicting you can kill you or drive mad. That being said I like to believe that game mechanics aside, the tenno do suffer real consequences one way or another by piloting the warframe and can be killed. So it's still me in the mission working together in symbiosis with my warframe. 

The problem is that the gameplay mechanic allows us to get back on our feet via the revive system. I don't really see how dying in mission now has become less significant than before, we still get put back together. Just now it's us pulling the armor together with space magic other than just respawning. We also could build multiple warframes of the same kind before with no issue as well and utilize then in battle.

Edited by Witcherlet

We all know the Grineer have disfigurements due to the cloning process breaking down, but our Tenno don't have to keep bringing it up by calling them ugly.

Found tumblr user.

But seriously, Tenno thought of themselves as of privileged caste, they are used to being arrogant.

for the entire time I did play warframe I always hated the lotus. both her voice lines and her motives.

I just kept her on mute and ignored her the entire way. even though I followed her since the game doesn't give you any other option it still felt like I had a tiny bit of freedom.

I hoped that one day I had the choice to change sides and be able to fully break away from her.

but now it turns out im meant to be this kid or warfame being controlled by a kid who is basically the child of lotus and who loves her.

and yes I know turning traitor would never be made possible by DE but I still liked the Feel of the game and felt more free back then.

now that I have the tenno kid in my ship its 3 annoying pop up boxes I have to deal with. lotus the kid and ordis.

It still doesn't matter unless the tenno is killed. if they aren't killed  the warframe gets destroyed and they get a new one.

as for helping the corpus and the warframe acting on its own, your right about both of those things. 

the reason I don't like it is because its like if fallout new vegas had its own narration. imagine you were killing a nameless raider and your character said "man I really didn't want to kill him!" and then fell to the floor sobbing.

as for my warframe being fully controlled by me... it doesn't fully feel like that. if I was fully in control I would kill the tenno take the liset for myself and turn traitor.

in fact if that happened the game might change to perma-death as the tenno is what brings back the warframe.

lastly, its fine if you can't undertsnd my issue. ill try and explain it though with an example.

I once was reading a book series I liked quite a lot. then I read the last book and the king of the world in that book basically destroyed everything killed everyone and didn't explain why.

the whole series ended just like that and I had such a sour taste in my mouth that I punched the book and was thinking of burning it.

only in the books case it was a fantasy series and I could easily find another, and I have.

but with warframe its different. there is no other game that even comes close to how warframe is in its own unique way.

so like with the book I have stopped playing it and have had thoughs about uninstalling it. but unlike the book I cannot go to a book store and buy another warframe.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

1- You're not meant to be the Operator. The Warframe's link with them it's not fully explained really, as nobody knows what's inside the frames or why they acted on their own during the quest. So what you're saying is false.

Also the Lotus talking to you from the very beginning didn't stop you from playing, so nothing changed now.

2- You can mute both Ordis and the Operator. You don't really need to listen to them if you don't want to.

3- We don't exatly know what happens when a Tenno is killed, as we don't know what's inside the frames or why they can act on their own.

Sorry but your fallout example is wrong, in your example you said the character YOU'RE controlling is the one saying those things you don't agree with. I didn't see my Loki talking or saying that the grineers are ugly, I saw the operator saying that. He/she have their thoughts, they are they own characters, like the Lotus, like Salad, like Baro, etc.

If you were the operator, it wouldn't make sense for them to talk to -you- during missions, they are their own beings and you're not them.

4- You could never turn "traitor" when it comes to the Lotus, that didn't change here.

Maybe in the future, but the point is, the operators being here is not changing anything from what the game told us so far.

5- A book doesn't allow you to control anything. You're just a passive observer of that world. 

In Warframe you're choosing what frame to use, who to kill and where to go. The only thing that changed now is that we know the operators exists and -we- (as in, the warframes) need to protect them (the same as the Lotus, so nothing really changed).

Think of the operators as an extra source of power for you, -you- can even choose not to use the focus system if you want. So you -can- choose to ignore the operators if you want to. -That- would not be possible if you were meant to be them.

6- Look, I understand people might not like where the story is going, and that's perfectly fine. What I don't agree with is with people saying things that aren't true. We still don't know what the frames are, what's inside them, why they can act on their own, and a lot of other things.

The game is still the same, you just have an extra source of power that you can choose to use, or not.

Edited by LeaserResael

Don't get me wrong there are things I think that can have more options.

That said.

If you were constructing separate being for each Warframe you were already ignoring every progression mechanic In the game: "Why is the Stalker after Rhino When it was Ember who Killed Phorid", " How come Nova can finish off Loki's invasions and still get rewarded", "How come Limbo can finish off the Mirage Quest when Banshee started it". This is just one more in a long line of story and/or game mechanics you need to ignore to continue to enjoy your, completely unintended, version of the game.

Also, I find it hilarious that the Stalker is all Dark, Hatey and Dispairy _because_ he found out what he was and couldn't handle it... Parallels to a small amount of the player base maybe.

Also, for those claiming that The Warframes can act on their own and citing the Rhino Prime Codex.

1. That was a creature, not a Warframe, this is explicitly set before Warframes existed, the beast is the Cow to the Warframe's leather jacket

2. Before you cite that claiming that it showed that Warframes can act, remember that the one _important_ part of that codex is that a Zariman child successfully controlled the beast _remotely_ without any Transference tech. Illustrating that our Tenno is much more likely the one who got their Warframe to act remotely (With extreme effort) rather than the Warframe acting on its own.

Edited by SilentMobius

People seem to be mistaking the Tenno as "playing video games" in Virtual Reality pods. Your Tenno is having his conciousness transferred into a different body. It's not Virtual Reality.

Well it's a semantic thing.  Virtual reality is really on the way to what's in Avatar and this game.

Think of an Oculus Rift connected to one of those little flying drones you can buy and control via RC.  So now you're seeing through the drone's "eyes".  But you're still using your physical hands on a joystick or iPad to control the flight.

So next you need to "jack in" so that it's your brain signals that are directly commanding the drone to go left or right.

Now fill it in with other sensors on the drone - olfactory sensors, touch sensors, taste sensors.

Then you have total immersion virtual reality.

The one further step in Avatar and Warframe is that there's biological matter in the drone (Navi avatar, Warframe) that duplicates some aspect of brain functioning (this is for speed of response - i.e. you want some signals to be instant and not subject to lag via "wifi" transmission).

And there you have it - literal consciousness "transference."  Your sense of where you are is in a different place than where your physical body is.  And if that was all you knew, you would think you were the "drone."

And it's quite apt to use the VR analogy because one of the biggest clues DE gave us (apart from the Ember codex and other codexes, and the orokin text transmission) was the hint that the Orokin were fond of spending their lives in VR pods.  That's (presumably) one of those golden things we fell out of in the quest.

Edited by Omnimorph

If you were the operator, it wouldn't make sense for them to talk to -you- during missions, they are their own beings and you're not them.

I talk to myself all the time. In fact, I'm one of my favorite people to talk to since I always have the proper context for what's being said.

2. Before you cite that claiming that it showed that Warframes can act, remember that the one _important_ part of that codex is that a Zariman child successfully controlled the beast _remotely_ without any Transference tech. Illustrating that our Tenno is much more likely the one who got their Warframe to act remotely (With extreme effort) rather than the Warframe acting on its own.

It's still quite relevant to point out here that Hunhow should have been able to detect the operator projecting energy to control the 'frame... but he was shocked, confused, and caught off-guard. There's a solid argument here for either side.

It's still quite relevant to point out here that Hunhow should have been able to detect the operator projecting energy to control the 'frame... but he was shocked, confused, and caught off-guard. There's a solid argument here for either side.

Hunhow surely would have felt the Void Transference link, yes. I believe the Warframe acted on its own accord.

The post I made above is pretty relevant here - remember Stolen Dreams? The monologue we got was coming from the actual Warframe, from Chroma. "Empty is the womb in the Sky" almost certainly translates to his Operator being gone (dead) and the Frame now lamenting the loss, going berserk in the process.

For all of you who think the Warframes themselves aren't sentient and intelligent, remember Stolen Dreams - that's a Chroma without its operator that's speaking!

Kudos to KaineHeresy for noticing this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/572877-spoiler-nature-of-the-warframes/

1.This is just some guy's assumption, Lotus suggest that someone was merely using the Chroma to cover their tracks.

2.The transmissions are from codices Grineer and Corpus already found. Chroma was allegedly being used to retrieve them.

3.Its established that scanning Chroma will sever it from its controller by Ordis, and Lotus affirms this, further suggesting that it was indeed being controlled, just not by a Tenno.

4.Tenno swap and leave frames all the time, its farfetched that Chroma was doing what this guy you linked to described.

5.Even if what that guy said was actually true, i still would not like it. A forced codependent existence is awful to me, and a Warframe might as well be dead to me if its acting like a lost animal looking for its owner and attacking its brethren and Tenno kin.

I prefer noble warrior Warframes with Tenno in them, not slobbering pet Warframes who need their Pokemon Master to go on with life.

I have Kubrow if I want pets.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed hidden post

Don't get me wrong there are things I think that can have more options.

That said.

If you were constructing separate being for each Warframe you were already ignoring every progression mechanic In the game: "Why is the Stalker after Rhino When it was Ember who Killed Phorid", " How come Nova can finish off Loki's invasions and still get rewarded", "How come Limbo can finish off the Mirage Quest when Banshee started it". This is just one more in a long line of story and/or game mechanics you need to ignore to continue to enjoy your, completely unintended, version of the game.

Also, I find it hilarious that the Stalker is all Dark, Hatey and Dispairy _because_ he found out what he was and couldn't handle it... Parallels to a small amount of the player base maybe.

Also, for those claiming that The Warframes can act on their own and citing the Rhino Prime Codex.

1. That was a creature, not a Warframe, this is explicitly set before Warframes existed, the beast is the Cow to the Warframe's leather jacket

Swapping avatars in many games has rarely ever needed any lore explanation behind enemies being mad at us, for any typical, nuanced human being, so that is irrelevant.

Edited by UrielColtan