Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler] Warframes... Suits Of Armor Or Something More?

Artekkor

I'm wondering though.. is the Warframe's immediate shut-down, which makes a Tenno's presence a requirement?.. Or simply, was it a fail-safe lock that kicks in whenever the Operator is not in sync, that the Orokin installed to prevent accidents similar to the proto-Rhino incident?

And if so a fail-safe is online in a Warframe's system, do them gaining sentience is what allows them to perform and take action, bypassing the fail-safe without an Operator?

Edited by SeraIngvir

I'm wondering though.. is the Warframe's immediate shut-down, which makes a Tenno's presence a requirement?.. Or simply, was it a fail-safe lock that kicks in whenever the Operator is not in sync, that the Orokin installed to prevent accidents similar to the proto-Rhino incident?

Sounds... Disturbingly legit.

It has a good chance of being the case here.

And again: it's just very creepy. We control something that is not in control of itself and has mind of it's own. And whenever it gains control back - it just gets shut down.

Definetly not a very pleasant fate.

And if so a fail-safe is online in a Warframe's system, do them gaining sentience is what allows them to perform and take action, bypassing the fail-safe without an Operator?

Evangelion comparision again here - rampaging EVA - basically going on it's own (Rhino prime codex anyone), with savelock of limited power supply required for it to even move....

There is definetly still more to the Warframes than just being remote controlled drone bodies or puppets on strings.

Each Warframe shows a form of personality via their idle animations, which seems to be entirely independent from the Tenno operating them. Loki's are shifty, Mesa are cool and collected, Mirages are elegant, Mags are playfull with their powers, etc.

So for a long time allready (since late 2013), the Warframes have not been mere armors or robot bodies anymore, but some form of character. The only question was why the Tenno switched between these personalities when they controlled the Warframes?

A question which still exist.

The only difference is that now we don't have to wonder anymore how a Tenno could fit into certain Warframes like Nekros with his skeletal limbs, Loki and Zepyhr with their deformed legs or Valkyr who has rods going through her arms.

Some said energy beings, others said remote controll bodies (congrats on getting it right), i actualy speculated the Tenno have limited shape shifting abilities.

It was a question which was obviously not going to be answered with normal humans switching between hollow suits.

It's noteworthy, that when DE introduced the idle animations, they were fixed to each Warframe. Only later did they decide to allow players to switch between an agile, noble and default stance (and even more later to switch them between Frames).

So as far back as 2013, they had decided that Warframes in their own way are characters and not just suits. Which also reinforces their decession to not create opposite sex versions of existing Warframes.

Now why do the Warframes have personalities? If the Tenno are directly controlling them why would they feel the need to make these movements and stand around like that?

Considering the whole dream thing, it would be likely to suspect that each Warframe has an implanted personality, which the Tenno immerse themself into.

Which would offer multiple advantages over just letting the Tenno be themself via the Warframes.

Edited by Othergrunty

Now why do the Warframes have personalities? If the Tenno are directly controlling them why would they feel the need to make these movements and stand around like that?

Isn't the idea of the warframe supposed to be that it's designed to reflect the Tenno pilot's ideal? 

IOW, the warframes are designed sort of like a kid's ideal superhero concept (obviously not exactly like that, but just to get the point across).  It's really the Tenno who has an "Ember personality" (in their dream) and they have a warframe made for them that reflects that personality and has the right type of construction to channel Void energy in that particular way.

At least that's the way it originally seems to be during the sentient war, just after the whole Tenno/warframe thing is discovered by the Orokin.  The first frames with these ideal "personalities" to suit the Tenno who are piloting them, are (perhaps) the Primes.

Then later, you get the situation where any Tenno can pilot any type of frame, and then they get mass produced in less powerful versions.

It may be that those "personalities" are sort of hardwired into the frames to some extent (e.g. the stances) but that might just be one of those things that's not really in-game, just a thing for the player.

Edited by Omnimorph

The Tenno can control warframe without the magical chair in close proximity. The warframe is walking while Tenno firing at end of quest. The Tenno had the warframe break the sword. Stalker was surprised because transference occurred without the equipment.

The war within to me is other Tenno that stayed loyal to orikin empire, like stalker. He is a tenno. There is obviously some fighting as the dialog quests mention a boy being bullied with everyone laughing (by another Tenno).

A warframe is nothing more than an infested gun. It is alive, but has no will. It's like using a dead mans heart for a heart transplant. Its made from blue prints! No one designing a weapon would give it a will of its own! It's just a living weapon.

Through the link, the Tenno feel pain (mentioned in-game dialog with yourself) and to an extent can make sounds / talk. The tenno in control of valkry was being tortured with no way to escape transference. He died with the valker and when we clone the blue prints, we get everything recorded on warframe up until time of death.

The Tenno talk to themselves because they are lonely, trapped away for a very long time. Maybe even crazy from solitude and non stop violence. I certainly wouldn't invite one over for dinner.

As a side note, the tenno should start to age know outside their dream state.

Edited by Educated_Beast

Didn't read all the coments, I assume some people think like me ^^

For me the warframes are human infested flesh packed into an iron suit, with a neuronal censor inside.

The first frame may be a infested human as Hayden Tenno, and then orokins used that to create some puppets based on this, they used some infested flesh in an armor, and start using remote controled soldiers as main army.

So if the flesh was human, the captor is idk what, but everything packed together can in some case have a conscience, yes.

And finally, the stalker is a warframe who destroyed the link with his tenno or something close to that, I guess. He seems like an empty shell when he talks 

But I think that, if that's the case, it doesn't go much beyond that (although the "war within" does sound suggestive - perhaps there's the possibility of some break or civil war state between Tenno and Warframe?).

(Hehe, just thought of a strange possibility: what if the biological parts of the Warframes are all Infested clones of Hayden Tenno? :) )

Teshin. Just sayin.

OOOO

So using the comparison to Evangelion(which DE has mentioned was one of their influences)....

Does this mean the Stalker is actually a warframe that somehow cut itself free from it's Tenno and has become a sentient being??

So basically, the Tenno, the children, are evil overlords that are using real people enclosed inside the warframes to do their biddings to kill everything in its path?!

This really opens up a lot, I hope DE actually goes down this dark path or something similar... I really don't want to see the warframe universe heading onto some bland explanation for all this.

Will be really cool to see where in a quest you actually have to fight your own warframes!!

(Imagine all the warframes that I sold for slot space(and a meagre amount of creds) ;c they'll be coming back for revenge

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think the Infested are part of the Warframe since they did sense it. So the Infested might of gained temporary access since the Tenno weren't there to hold back it's influence on the Warframe. I don't know. Possibly the Warframe used up the last of it's energy reserves left there by the Operator.

My personal theory on why warframes exhibit different mannerisms goes like this.

There is one Operator, who has a ship, and controls multiple warframes. (There are, of course, other Operators too, on other ships, doing other things elsewhere in the system.)

So, for the number of warframes which are connected to that Operator, there is only one central guiding consciousness and identity. However! Even though warframes are built from blueprints, and there are many warframes of the same model, that does not mean that they are devoid of personality.

When they built the warframes for the first time, they carefully cultured and engineered tissues, from human genetic stock and maybe some animal stock as well. They Infested it with 'tame' strains of the Technocyte virus and allowed only the most helpful mutations to thrive. They created channels within the warframe's cybernetic control systems and nervous system tissue, channels which force raw Void power from the Tenno to become the powers of that 'frame. And.....in the process, they created tendencies, feelings and personality quirks, quirks which may never have been ironed out of the design. Quirks which have become part of the design, feelings and thoughts and attitudes which remain completely dormant while the 'frame is in stasis, but which are expressed, involuntarily, by the Operator.

In effect, there is only one Operator, but every 'frame has a set of baked in attitudes which the Operator cannot help but express when they are Transferred into the 'frame. When the Operator projects into a Loki, they can't help but be cocky and manipulative. When they are 'wearing' an Ember, they become sassy and aggressive, because the warframe is, just like Vor said, a lens. It doesn't just bend and focus their power, it bends and focuses their personality. When the Valkyr frame was dissected and tortured, presumably with an Operator's consciousness trapped in the 'frame, suffering with it, it changed the nature of the 'frame. All recovered and reverse-engineered blueprints for Valkyr 'frames since the torture have expressed rage and pain, rage and pain which the Operator cannot help but feel while they wear the 'frame. Doesn't matter that this specific Operator wasn't tortured. Doesn't matter that they may be channelling into a brand new Valkyr 'frame for the very first time. They'll feel the rage, because it's baked into the cloned nervous system of all Valkyrs post-torture. 

The only time the Operator is ever purely just themselves, in their own native, unaltered personality, is when they're not channelling a warframe at all.

I agree with the theory that the Warframes are like the Evas from Evangelion, Bio-mechanical organisms who require a "Operator" to move, but I think theres more to it. I think that a Warframe that has been around for a long time can eventually atain sentience and break away, we've seen it with Mesa and Chroma. But I think some CHOOSE to stay with the Tenno 

We can even use the Stalker as a perfect example of this, he is clearly a Modified Excalibur class Warframe, but he appears to have no reservations to kill the Tenno even though it could kill him, but he hesitates when he gets a chance to kill a Tenno face-to-face he doesn't, he leaves. I think Hunhow took control of Stalker and force him and when he "exploded" that was him getting Hunhow out of his head.