Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler] The Cap

Rennagade

Oh, no, its one of those threads!

Yes, yes it is.

Alright, so the focus cap is there for a reason.  That reason is to keep people from finishing their trees in a few days.(by means of both exploits and grinding)

Personally I hate it.  I feel so restricted.  Like I'm being knocked back into the pace of other players.

For the main idea, go right on to #3 under possible solutions.

Moving on:

The Good

I'm going to try to point out some good things here.

1) The cap prevents people from using exploits to complete this endgame progression system.  Nobody likes exploits except for the exploiter.  It helps keep them in line.

2) The cap keeps some players from becoming ridiculously OP while more casual gamers(or people who put their lense in the wrong place) are left in the dust.  It keeps the unbalanced playing field created by things like mods from becoming even more out of whack.  It also gives the devs time to balance things out before most players reach it and are outraged when things get nerfed.

3) It gives players time to think about where points are being spent.  When a player needs to spend two or three days to unlock something they're going to be pretty damn sure that where they're putting those points is where they want them to be.  As a result players will waste less points on things they aren't going to use.

The Bad

1) It prevents players from playing how they want to play.  They have mothers, spouses, and real life responsibilities for that.  Why add something to the list?

2) Some players can not play every day, but are still restricted to the same cap on days when they can.  As a result caps cause players to fall behind.

3) Flamewars.  Hi there, internet!  Some players will feel the empowered as everyone is forced to play at their pace(or at least near) and will argue with those that don't want to be because they want to play at their own pace.  I don't think this is what you want players to be arguing about.  Live at let live.  Let the more casual- actually let's not call them that, as for some reason some players take it as a derogatory term- the average players move at whatever pace they want and the hardcore crowd... well, be hardcore.

Possible solutions:

(insert fix_it.gif here)

Just do it) Do something about team focus gain.  A lot of players are losing out on focus due to putting lenses on things like trinity.  I think a saw that it was being worked on... or is it done?  Whatever, just do it.

1) Increase the cap.  Not really a solution, rather a temporary fix to get people to calm down for a bit.

2) Remove the cap.  Results in dozens of people completing focus in a few days, and the rest carry on at their own pace.  I guess you could also say exploiters win here(unless the exploits being used for this are fixed).

3) My favorite, the solution that originally got me making this thread: make a cap the progressively increases over time.  I got this idea from a game called Skyforge.  I'm not going to go too into detail about the game, but rather how it treats caps.  In the game you gain gems that can be used to unlock nodes in your characters progression tree, but the amount is limited by a cap.  At each cap reset the player's cap is increased.  This means that as a player progresses to bigger and more expensive nodes, rather than being locked in place for 2-3 resets their cap scales upward to accommodate for the expensive nodes.

I believe the warframe focus cap can benefit from using this system as an example.  Rather than making a player's focus cap stay at 75k each day I believe the system could benefit from increasing by an amount each day(it could be a flat amount or exponential) .  So on day one after unlocking focus the cap would be 75k, and at day 2 it will be 77.5k, and day 3 it will be at 80k and so one and so forth.  This system gives some of the benefits of the caps, such as keeping players from using exploits to complete trees extremely quickly and giving them time to carefully consider their next move.

At the same time this system extends the amount of time that the system will take to complete and will eventually allow players to play however them want.  It also means that players can afford more expensive nodes in less time.

As for weekend warriors, I believe a small amount of the points from the previous cap that were not gained should transfer to the next day.  This means that players who play on the weekend only will have their standard daily cap plus a small amount added for each day that they couldn't log in.  This will allow them to almost keep up with the people who play all week.  If it is only a small amount of the focus point cap that carries over each day players are still encouraged to log in on days that they can and not  wait until the amount that they could get in one sitting is ridiculously high.

This system also benefits people who only play once every few months, as they have the increased cap that has been growing over the last few months in addition to the amount gained from all those days not played.  If they so please, these people can gain all those focus points to almost catch up with the rest of the playerbase and jump right into the latest content with their friends.

Theres my idea.  I tried.

2) The cap keeps some players from becoming ridiculously OP while more casual gamers(or people who put their lense in the wrong place) are left in the dust.

ähm...this isn´t a race between players..where is the problem if some people have better gear then others if they play more? this is a co-op game..

Another possible solution is multiplying the cap by 7 and resetting it weekly instead of daily.

With this, people who are limited to playing only a couple days out of the week still have as much opportunity as those who play daily.

bad idea. Then u farm 2h and didn´t play this game 1 week long

Another possible solution is multiplying the cap by 7 and resetting it weekly instead of daily.

With this, people who are limited to playing only a couple days out of the week still have as much opportunity as those who play daily.

To fix this they could make the cap accumulative that has a limit of say 750k. So the bonus that you didnt use can be regained from this gathered pool. 

This wouldn't really be much better. The main issues with caps are that it necessarily limits what players can do, no matter how high it may be. Two, it still promotes a bad mentality. The daily cap is bad enough in that it feels like it's a complete waste if you don't max it each day, especially with the raw amount of focus required to max a tree. A weekly cap would help with the issue of some players being unable to max each day, but it would also essentially force these players to max it over the course of however long they have since it still has the issue of being wasted if it's not maxed, which is an excellent way to make players burn out on your game.

Simply making it weekly doesn't solve the problem.  Its the same cap, just multiplied by seven.  Without any type of scaling the problem with the current cap will persist.

Also, I almost prefer the daily cap because it encourages more frequent interaction with the game.

Edit:

ähm...this isn´t a race between players..where is the problem if some people have better gear then others if they play more? this is a co-op game..

Yes, it is a co op game, but there will always be a race to have the best gear, and some players will selectively pick out the players with the best gear to play with.  The cap exists to help blur the line between the players that try to be the best and the players who want to play with other goals in mind(not to say they can't be the same people, though).  It keeps a wall from forming between the two groups.

Edited by Rennagade