The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trying To Improve On My Phage

(PSN)SlyFox5679

Question

I have managed to crank up the damage on my Config A & B to about the same but C is a bit of a problem
and i'm not sure if combustion beam would help at all with overall damage since everything tends to die anyway and i removed shotgun mutation for more damage since i used my powers as well so if i run out of ammo at all its not a big deal and was trying to figure out if adding more crit chance would help or hinder.
could also use a bit of help working in corrosive to the builds too.

6 forma's 
2x -
6x v

A-Infested build
3009.6 viral
9028.8 gas
24% status chance
contagious spread 90% toxin
incendiary coat 90% fire 
toxic barrage 60% toxin/status chance
blaze 60 fire/extra damage
primed point blank 165% 
primed ravage 100% crit damage
vicious spread 90% damage/60%spread
hell's chamber 120% multishot

B-Grineer build
3009.6 viral
9028.8 radiation
24% status chance
charged shell 90% electric
incendiary coat 90% fire
vicious spread 90% damage/60 spread
scattered inferno 60% fire/status chance
blaze 60 fire/extra damage
primed point blank 165% damage

C-Corpus
magnetic 7722
viral 2574
frigid blast 60% cold/status 
shell shock 60 electric/status
charged shell 90% electric
chilling grasp 90% cold
vicious spread 90% damage/60 spread
primed point blank 165% damage

15 answers to this question

Not sure if I'd go for Primed Ravage on the Phage. Its base critical chance is pretty low, paired with the fire rate of 1.0 rounds/sec it won't be hitting crits very often.

It can often be worth modding for corrosive/blast vs. Infested - whilst gas is good against the lighter units, it's the corrosive damage that hits the Ancients and other big daddies extra hard, and once the difficulty starts ramping up it's those guys you need to take down fast. The blast damage also deals extra damage vs. Ancients, and if you have good status chance on your weapon, the blast proc will knock stuff on its feet, which is perfect for slowing down mobs.

I've only got three forma on my Phage but for Infested I went with a blast/corrosive status build, with some punch-through added via Seeking Fury (currently not enough capacity for Seeking Force).

It's been a while since I've used this weapon, but for a Grineer build, you could try cold/corrosive combined with the innate viral. The radiation is nice vs. the heavy units, but you'll generally encounter ferrite armour more frequently, so corrosive may be more effective. The cold damage still does bonus damage against alloy armour (Bombards/Napalms etc.).

Corpus build looks pretty nice, perhaps could work some toxin damage in there too, as that will bypass enemy shields and damage their health directly.

Edited by Dualice

Not sure if I'd go for Primed Ravage on the Phage. Its base critical chance is pretty low, paired with the fire rate of 1.0 rounds/sec it won't be hitting crits very often.

It can often be worth modding for corrosive/blast vs. Infested - whilst gas is good against the lighter units, it's the corrosive damage that hits the Ancients and other big daddies extra hard, and once the difficulty starts ramping up it's those guys you need to take down fast. The blast damage also deals extra damage vs. Ancients, and if you have good status chance on your weapon, the blast proc will knock stuff on its feet, which is perfect for slowing down mobs.

I've only got three forma on my Phage but for Infested I went with a blast/corrosive status build, with some punch-through added via Seeking Fury (currently not enough capacity for Seeking Force).

It's been a while since I've used this weapon, but for a Grineer build, you could try cold/corrosive combined with the innate viral. The radiation is nice vs. the heavy units, but you'll generally encounter ferrite armour more frequently, so corrosive may be more effective. The cold damage still does bonus damage against alloy armour (Bombards/Napalms etc.).

Corpus build looks pretty nice, perhaps could work some toxin damage in there too, as that will bypass enemy shields and damage their health directly.

maybe i'll try some of these changes and drop primed ravage, it didn't make much sense to use it but i wanted to because i don't have any other shotguns really but i'm going to change that getting the syndicate hek shotgun or was it the tigris that was a shotgun ? pft anyway i'll get one of them lol.

Your builds look pretty strong, and I'd expect would lay waste to most any enemies throughout the star chart.  I'm gathering you want to eek out every bit of possible damage potential, though, so here's my 2 coppers...

While I'd make a couple changes to all the builds, I'll focus on your "C" build (vs Corpus) since that's the one you indicated you were uncertain about.

Based on the builds you described, here's what I came up with on warframe-builder.com...

Your Corpus build:

mOhtcHZ.jpg

mJ4FKAK.jpg

In addition to just the basic damage info that we can see alongside the build, I also included the damage details; you can see how the different damage types affect the different aspects of Corpus enemies you'll face.

Here is the way I'd build the Phage vs Corpus:

0fQeTsY.jpg

ltAqtBX.jpg

Comparing the details between our builds, there are a few things you'll notice:

• Instead of going "all-in" with only Magnetic damage, I went with both Magnetic and Toxin.  The reason for this is that Toxin damage ignores shields, and that damage is applied immediately to the enemy's health.  As soon as the health is gone the enemy dies, even if it still has shields remaining.
  • I don't use Primed Ravage.  Since the Phage only has a 10% base Crit Chance, crit damage is not going to be contributing a lot to your damage output, even if you increase the damage multiplier from 2x to 4x.  Instead, I opted to go with Cleanse Corpus, which boosts all damage by 30% against Corpus all the time, which is much more reliable.
  • Instead of a 4th element mod, I opted to go with Seeking Fury.  This helps with increasing the reload speed (which isn't that much of an issue, but hey, faster is faster) but most importantly it gives the weapon punch-through.  Since the Phage is a limited range weapon, you want to be able to kill as many enemies within range as you can; punch-through enables you to hit multiple enemies at the same time with your beam (which effectively doubles, triples, etc, the effective damage output depending on how many enemies are getting hit simultaneously) as well as enemies behind cover.

Hopefully this is helpful/useful for you.  If so, and if you'd like me to go over what changes I'd make to the Grineer and Infested builds, I'd be happy to do that--just let me know.

Edited by (PS4)Knightfyre

Your builds look pretty strong, and I'd expect would lay waste to most any enemies throughout the star chart.  I'm gathering you want to eek out every bit of possible damage potential, though, so here's my 2 coppers...

While I'd make a couple changes to all the builds, I'll focus on your "C" build (vs Corpus) since that's the one you indicated you were uncertain about.

Based on the builds you described, here's what I came up with on warframe-builder.com...

Your Corpus build:

mOhtcHZ.jpg

mJ4FKAK.jpg

In addition to just the basic damage info that we can see alongside the build, I also included the damage details; you can see how the different damage types affect the different aspects of Corpus enemies you'll face.

Here is the way I'd build the Phage vs Corpus:

0fQeTsY.jpg

ltAqtBX.jpg

Comparing the details between our builds, there are a few things you'll notice:

• Instead of going "all-in" with only Magnetic damage, I went with both Magnetic and Toxin.  The reason for this is that Toxin damage ignores shields, and that damage is applied immediately to the enemy's health.  As soon as the health is gone the enemy dies, even if it still has shields remaining.
  • I don't use Primed Ravage.  Since the Phage only has a 10% base Crit Chance, crit damage is not going to be contributing a lot to your damage output, even if you increase the damage multiplier from 2x to 4x.  Instead, I opted to go with Cleanse Corpus, which boosts all damage by 30% against Corpus all the time, which is much more reliable.
  • Instead of a 4th element mod, I opted to go with Seeking Fury.  This helps with increasing the reload speed (which isn't that much of an issue, but hey, faster is faster) but most importantly it gives the weapon punch-through.  Since the Phage is a limited range weapon, you want to be able to kill as many enemies within range as you can; punch-through enables you to hit multiple enemies at the same time with your beam (which effectively doubles, triples, etc, the effective damage output depending on how many enemies are getting hit simultaneously) as well as enemies behind cover.

Hopefully this is helpful/useful for you.  If so, and if you'd like me to go over what changes I'd make to the Grineer and Infested builds, I'd be happy to do that--just let me know.

i'm game for any improvements on the builds, i just try to crank up my damage as much as possible.

although since i use nova prime & hydroid most of the time in towers not much survives against me :-P

i have totally different numbers with this build 

4633.2 magnetic

2574 viral 

2316.6 toxin

is this correct because on the build page its different

Edited by (PS4)SlyFox5679

i'm game for any improvements on the builds, i just try to crank up my damage as much as possible.

although since i use nova prime & hydroid most of the time in towers not much survives against me :-P

i have totally different numbers with this build

4633.2 magnetic

2574 viral

2316.6 toxin

is this correct because on the build page its different

Which build page are you looking at? If you are looking at the build in-game?  Or are you looking build page at warframe-builder.com?

If you're looking at the build on the website, do you have these check-boxes checked off (see pic below, circled in red)?

64ebWVt.jpg

You'll notice that in the pic above, I do not have the CRITICAL/PELLET or the DAMAGE VS CORPUS boxes checked, but in the original pics and links I did have them checked. With those boxes un-checked, you can see that the damage numbers are pretty close to what you are saying--essentially, those are the damage numbers before you take into account the damage from crits or the bonus damage vs the Corpus faction from the Cleanse Corpus bane mod.

In my original reply, I had those boxes checked so that you could see how much damage you were getting--crits included--because you were using Primed Ravage to increase your crit damage multiplier to 4.0, and I wanted you to be able to compare that to my build with only the base 2.0 crit damage multiplier and with the extra damage from the bane mod.

In-game, however, those things (crit damage and bane damage) are not calculated into what you see in the arsenal, so you really don't see how much more damage you are getting (or are not getting, as the case may be) by having those in your build... as such, the result is that you end up seeing numbers like what you described in the arsenal--numbers which are not looking at the whole picture.

maybe i'll try some of these changes and drop primed ravage, it didn't make much sense to use it but i wanted to because i don't have any other shotguns really but i'm going to change that getting the syndicate hek shotgun or was it the tigris that was a shotgun ? pft anyway i'll get one of them lol.

Both the Vaykor Hek from Steel Meridian and the Sancti Tigris from New Loka are shotguns. 

However, the Vaykor Hek is probably the best shotgun to use Primed Ravage on--not because its base Crit Damage multiplier is that amazing (its base is just 2.0, pretty similar to most other shotguns) but because it has the highest base Crit Chance of 25%. 

Throw on a rank 5 Blunderbuss mod, and the Crit Chance on the Vaykor Hek jumps up to 47.5%!  That's far and away the highest Crit Chance you'll find on any shotgun currently in the game--much more than shotguns like the Boar Prime, Strun Wraith and Sancti Tigris that have the next highest base Crit Chance of 15% (which can only be boosted to 28.5% using the same rank 5 Blunderbuss).

Which build page are you looking at? If you are looking at the build in-game?  Or are you looking build page at warframe-builder.com?

If you're looking at the build on the website, do you have these check-boxes checked off (see pic below, circled in red)?

64ebWVt.jpg

You'll notice that in the pic above, I do not have the CRITICAL/PELLET or the DAMAGE VS CORPUS boxes checked, but in the original pics and links I did have them checked. With those boxes un-checked, you can see that the damage numbers are pretty close to what you are saying--essentially, those are the damage numbers before you take into account the damage from crits or the bonus damage vs the Corpus faction from the Cleanse Corpus bane mod.

In my original reply, I had those boxes checked so that you could see how much damage you were getting--crits included--because you were using Primed Ravage to increase your crit damage multiplier to 4.0, and I wanted you to be able to compare that to my build with only the base 2.0 crit damage multiplier and with the extra damage from the bane mod.

In-game, however, those things (crit damage and bane damage) are not calculated into what you see in the arsenal, so you really don't see how much more damage you are getting (or are not getting, as the case may be) by having those in your build... as such, the result is that you end up seeing numbers like what you described in the arsenal--numbers which are not looking at the whole picture.

the website is the warframe builder i was talking about sorry for not being more clear.

with the build http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Phage/t_30_30302222_170-0-5-171-1-5-172-3-5-175-2-5-178-5-5-190-6-5-482-4-10-546-7-5_170-6-171-11-175-6-172-9-482-7-178-8-190-5-546-6/en/2-0-42/0

i'm looking at 

2316.6 toxin

4633.2 magnetic

2574 viral

this is in game atm so what your telling me is the cleanse mods do increase my damage vs the corpus and others since i have cleanse mods on all 3 builds but it just doesn't show at all.

the website is the warframe builder i was talking about sorry for not being more clear.

with the build http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Phage/t_30_30302222_170-0-5-171-1-5-172-3-5-175-2-5-178-5-5-190-6-5-482-4-10-546-7-5_170-6-171-11-175-6-172-9-482-7-178-8-190-5-546-6/en/2-0-42/0

i'm looking at 

2316.6 toxin

4633.2 magnetic

2574 viral

this is in game atm so what your telling me is the cleanse mods do increase my damage vs the corpus and others since i have cleanse mods on all 3 builds but it just doesn't show at all.

Well, just to make sure that I'm being clear (and to hopefully make sure there is no misunderstanding), what I'm telling you is that:

• Having a Cleanse Corpus mod equipped will increase all damage by that weapon vs Corpus (and only the Corpus)
  • Likewise, having a Cleanse Grineer mod equipped will increase all damage by that weapon vs the Grineer, as would Clease Infested vs the infested
  • Despite their appearance, none of the bane mods will cause extra damage vs any of the the Corrupted enemies in the Void (i.e. Cleanse Grineer won't cause any extra damage vs Corrupted Heavy Gunners in the Tower missions, even though they look like metallic Grineer units)
  • In-game, the damage increase vs Corpus will not show in the arsenal when you have Cleanse Corpus in your build--you can test this by looking at the numbers both with Cleanse Corpus equipped and with it removed from your build; the numbers you see in the arsenal should not appear any different in either case
Edited by Knightfyre

the magnetic build is mostly for corpus & towers but i can't seem to make magnetic/corrosive since that would take care of ancients,heavy gunners,bombards at least i think bombards lol.

You can build corrosive+cold for tower but you will have to sacrifice blaze for an ice mod.

Bombards have alloy armor that is weak to radiation.

the magnetic build is mostly for corpus & towers but i can't seem to make magnetic/corrosive since that would take care of ancients,heavy gunners,bombards at least i think bombards lol.

Typically I go with a modified version of my infested build for the towers, and just swap out Cleanse Infested for a Toxic Barrage mod to increase the amount of Corrosive damage (note that my build vs infested utilizes primarily Corrosive damage--which the tougher Ancients and troublesome Mutalist Moas are weak against--instead of Gas.  That combined with the Heat damage from the Blaze mod is plenty enough to take out the hordes of weaker infested chargers, crawlers, etc).  Here is what I mean:

My Infested build for the Phage:

3lJR2au.jpg

My Infested build for the Phage, modified for the Void:

VOwqa6o.jpg

Edited by Knightfyre

You can build corrosive+cold for tower but you will have to sacrifice blaze for an ice mod.

Bombards have alloy armor that is weak to radiation.

^This

A modified Grineer build can be very effective in the towers, especially if everyone in a full squad is running with the Corrosive Projection aura to completely strip the enemies of armor.  For example:

My Grineer build for the Phage:

7V2LFN6.jpg

My Grineer build, modified for the Void:

(With both Radiation for Bombards with alloy armor & Toxin for Heavy Gunners with ferrite armor)

n0uOrGR.jpg

My Grineer build, modified for the Void:

(For a team running 4x Corrosive Projection, focusing heavily on Viral)

KYMxmju.jpg

Edited by Knightfyre

With Knight's builds sorta dominating the thread, I think an important mod choice may have been overlooked:

Shotgun Spazz

The ammo consumption and clip:reload on this weapon is very reasonable, and I do not mind at all greatly increasing the ammo consumption for a likewise increase in damage.

My typical Corrosive/Fire setup for the Phage looks like:

C8RzTLV.png?1

Which provides 21.4k DPS compared to a non-SS build providing ~14.5k. Admittedly the ammo consumption is higher, 1.9 ammo/second, but the nearly 50% boost in damage is worth it, imo.