The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Next Chinese Warframe And Chinese-Centric Quest?

ecwp1981

That's just like.... you know.... your opinion.

Just because you don't like our idea of the Tenno,  doesn't mean theirs is better.

I mean... of course it's your opinion. Still...

---------------------------------------------------------

Also... isn't it possible to have a civil discussion in threads like this?

This is an interesting topic and it's gonna be locked just cuz some people have to fight over something.

Aye never wanted want my comment to spiral off into this. Largely I just meant it to be a jab at myself.

But I'd disagree with that statement, again, because of opinions. Either way, I do think DE took it a step WAY too far with the reveal.

It was COOL, but they should never have unmasked us AND taken us out of the Warframes.

How does this work anyway? Doesn't having more than 50% shares mean Sumpo owns DE and could fire all canadian staff if they wanted?

Class b shares. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/classbshares.asp

We don't have the full details since we aren't investors, but I'm willing to bet they're just financial holdings without very much weight in terms of directing the company.

Edited by 134ShinyVaporeon

Also... isn't it possible to have a civil discussion in threads like this?

This is an interesting topic and it's gonna be locked just cuz some people have to fight over something.

Just going to throw my two cents here.

I do think there is an issue here and thus a discussion to be had, and that is that anything made for the chinese version is certainly not the slightest degree of subtle, case in point the chinaframes. There could be a point where chinaframe would be playing the special snowflake card too much where, if it was introduced to the main game, everything made for them could feel rammed in and clearly stand out too much and contrast with the fairly subtle and unique design DE has for the global build; however we are far from that point so to judge that only works as a very distant 'IF' for now.

Sadly though, two parties of utmost idiocy are present to always ruin the potential in these conversations: the ones that legitimately hate on China and the ones that disregard every single bit of negative criticism as such, regardless of what is actually being said. Both groups are better off crawling back to their holes in tumblr and reddit if you ask me.

On a side note:

While I do think we could use a little more eastern influence in the game, I want DE to make it designed for the global build, to have the subtlety of everything else while still being able to identify the influence and references as they have been doing to this point.

Edited by RahuHordika

There is a significant difference here. Class B shares do not confer any decision making rights, therefore Warframe's direction cannot be reduced to China blaming. Talking about Warframe's decisions as if they arose from a "Chicken company" and other talk like that isn't just misleading, it's derogatory to players of Warframe in China.

the chinese things are a result DE wanting to promote Chinaframe. I'm sure this "chinese" quest will just be a modified version of something we've got/will get. it would be like if they took the avengers movie in china, CG'd some noticeable chinese landmark (maybe some buildings) and said it was taking place in some chinese location

I do think there is an issue here and thus a discussion to be had, and that is that anything made for the chinese version is certainly not the slightest degree of subtle, case in point the chinaframes. There could be a point where china would be playing the special snowflake card too much where, if it was introduced to the main game, everything made for them could feel rammed in and clearly stand out too much and contrast with the fairly subtle and unique design DE has for the global build; however we are far from that point so to judge that only works as a very distand 'IF' for now.

This is *exactly* what worries me. 

How does this work anyway? Doesn't having more than 50% shares mean Sumpo owns DE and could fire all canadian staff if they wanted?

I don't think it works like that..... on the other hand I don't know how it works at all.

There has been this pic here....

Bj03cpd.jpg

Rebecca more or less made it (see here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/453563-the-first-open-test-for-warframe-china-just-started/page-4)

Unfortunately the table says nothing about sumpo *shrug* :/

I don't think it works like that..... on the other hand I don't know how it works at all.

There has been this pic here....

Bj03cpd.jpg

Rebecca more or less made it (see here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/453563-the-first-open-test-for-warframe-china-just-started/page-4)

Unfortunately the table says nothing about sumpo *shrug* :/

Because Sumpo doesn't hold any say in the game. They were essentially a catalyst, kinda like someone endorsing DE so they could sell shares to chang you/PW.

the chinese things are a result DE wanting to promote Chinaframe. I'm sure this "chinese" quest will just be a modified version of something we've got/will get. it would be like if they took the avengers movie in china, CG'd some noticeable chinese landmark (maybe some buildings) and said it was taking place in some chinese location

That being said I think it would also be fair to assume that the Chinese version of the game and timed exclusive content has at least something to do with DE's Chinese investors. Though it's likely a mutual benefit since foreign game developers that break into the Chinese market on their own tend to not do as well as those that go through Chinese connections. Game Theory did a really interesting video on this, I'll post it if I can find it.

Just going to throw my two cents here.

I do think there is an issue here and thus a discussion to be had, and that is that anything made for the chinese version is certainly not the slightest degree of subtle, case in point the chinaframes. There could be a point where china would be playing the special snowflake card too much where, if it was introduced to the main game, everything made for them could feel rammed in and clearly stand out too much and contrast with the fairly subtle and unique design DE has for the global build; however we are far from that point so to judge that only works as a very distand 'IF' for now.

Sadly though, two parties of utmost idiocy are present to always ruin the potential in these conversations: the ones that legitimately hate on China and the ones that disregard every single bit of negative criticism as such, regardless of what is actually being said. Both groups are better off crawling back to their holes in tumblr and reddit if you ask me.

On a side note:

While I do think we could use a little more eastern influence in the game, I want DE to make it designed for the global build, to have the subtlety of everything else while still being able to identify the influence and references as they have been doing to this point.

I agree and if my memory serves me right I have been quite consistent. I think Warframe must have only one story, and that Warframe china must seek to integrate into the International version instead of going a separate way.

The China blaming posts are horrible because they do not help us understand the dilemmas and forces acting on a hobby we so clearly enjoy.

Well it could be different. There could be "journey to the west" mini quests, hopefully written and scripted by people who enjoy the stories. They could be as good as variations of the searches for the golden fleece, the odyssey etc.

Edited by Coryphaus

Class b shares. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/classbshares.asp

We don't have the full details since we aren't investors, but I'm willing to bet they're just financial holdings without very much weight in terms of directing the company.

Thanks for sharing the link. What I took from that is that you need DE's bylaws and charter to know if the class b designation is hiding voting rights that empower any right to decide. Would the charter and bylaws be public information?

I agree and if my memory serves me right I have been quite consistent. I think Warframe must have only one story, and that Warframe china must seek to integrate into the International version instead of going a separate way.

The China blaming posts are horrible because they do not help us understand the dilemmas and forces acting on a hobby we so clearly enjoy.

Well it could be different. There could be "journey to the west" mini quests, hopefully written and scripted by people who enjoy the stories. They could be as good as variations of the searches for the golden fleece, the odyssey etc.

it would be odd to fit a journey to the west type of quest/mini game. with how warframe is designed, it would require a heavy reworking of a tileset to fit the story. Same goes with any other sort of work like the odyssey. It would be cool to have little quests/whatever, based off literary works. (can we have a divine comedy themed quest? :D) 

Thanks for sharing the link. What I took from that is that you need DE's bylaws and charter to know if the class b designation is hiding voting rights that empower any right to decide. Would the charter and bylaws be public information?

Probably not, AFAIK that info is retained by DE and probably kept confidential. 

Here's the thing. DE has already stated that the Chinese version technically has their own story-line. So if they want more Chinese-themed frames and quests that's totally cool.

The issue isn't their fans or folks over there asking for more Chinese-themed stuff its that us Global fans immediately want whatever is released there. If you just accept that they have a different game (as was originally stated) and they are doing what they want with it then it shouldn't bother you. Frankly I am not super bothered if I never get to play Umbra for example.

I have accepted that they can do what they want with their version.

I have also accepted the fact that DE needed more support financially and they ended up getting that support from the Chinese. So it's not like the Chinese fans or producers are forcing you to do anything. It's DE who needed that money and the deal was they'd have their own version of the game so they are just doing exactly that. Having their own version of a game.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

it would be odd to fit a journey to the west type of quest/mini game. with how warframe is designed, it would require a heavy reworking of a tileset to fit the story. Same goes with any other sort of work like the odyssey. It would be cool to have little quests/whatever, based off literary works. (can we have a divine comedy themed quest? :D) 

The tilesets could remain the same but the themes could be adopted. E.g, when Monkey's journey began proper he had been imprisoned under a mountain in a rock for such a long time that the roots of trees had woven themselves into his beard. When he was freed it was like a desperate godsend. Of course when the band was put on his head he immediately wanted to kill his new master. LOL

So funny. 

I think with enough creativity the player could be put in Monkey's shoes. XD XD XD

Here's the thing. DE has already stated that the Chinese version technically has their own story-line. So if they want more Chinese-themed frames and quests that's totally cool.

The issue isn't their fans or folks over there asking for more Chinese-themed stuff its that us Global fans immediately want whatever is released there. If you just accept that they have a different game (as was originally stated) and they are doing what they want with it then it shouldn't bother you. Frankly I am not super bothered if I never get to play Umbra for example.

I have accepted that they can do what they want with their version.

I have also accepted the fact that DE needed more support financially and they ended up getting that support from the Chinese. So it's not like the Chinese fans or producers are forcing you to do anything. It's DE who needed that money and the deal was they'd have their own version of the game so they are just doing exactly that. Having their own version of a game.

So if the China investors look at the game as just another cash cow then it would make sense for them to demand that Warframe China meet their demands no matter the cost, and this would lead to their investment having a finite shelf life before something better takes over. That's just business.

But if the China investors want to know how the International arena works, they will ask for their content to be seamlessly integrated, to make it seem natural despite the legislative and regulatory barriers across regions.

But if the China investors want to know how the International arena works, they will ask for their content to be seamlessly integrated, to make it seem natural despite the legislative and regulatory barriers across regions.

Which DE has been doing fairly well. The weapons fit right in and Wukong didn't exactly take center stage. I doubt Nezha will be plastered on everything either. The introduction of Nitain didn't go over well but the lore behind it implies a loose connection between the universes of both versions of the game, which is kinda neat.

Which DE has been doing fairly well. The weapons fit right in and Wukong didn't exactly take center stage. I doubt Nezha will be plastered on everything either. The introduction of Nitain didn't go over well but the lore behind it implies a loose connection between the universes of both versions of the game, which is kinda neat.

Sort of, the key word is "fairly", right?

China Warframe and DE must come to a solid understanding of how to move forward because a silo mentality in China or Global is only going to limit potential.

Just to clarify a little, Multi Dynamic Games, a subsidiary of Leyou Technologies Holding (formerly known as Sumpo Food Holdings), owns 58% of DE.

Read through the earlier pages and i don't think calling Sumpo a 'Chinese Chicken' company was meant as a slur by whoever said it earlier, nor would it be considered as one, given that in their official agreement contract they summarize their own activities as the "Chicken Business".

Also whoever said they only have Class B shares is wrong, Sumpo+Perfect World own 61% of common shares and the same corresponding amt of Class B shares. I doubt that they exercise creative influence over the game directly but they do unequivocally own a controlling stake in DE, so if they ask for something i imagine the request will be given due consideration.

Links for reference

Sort of, the key word is "fairly", right?

China Warframe and DE must come to a solid understanding of how to move forward because a silo mentality in China or Global is only going to limit potential.

Actually a silo mentality for the Chinese version might prove to be a better business decision. The Chinese market is different, their culture is different and as a business with a separate version of the game already in place, it seems like a good idea to make changes to the Chinese version that will appeal to that audience while progressing in a manner that appeals to the global audience for the international build. So long as global gets the China-exclusive content eventually, and perhaps some of its own exclusive content that can then be released later for China, it works fine. What would be a bad decision is prioritizing one version over another.