Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Daftmeat's Daring Do-Over (2nd Account From Scratch, Minimal Cheating)

DaftMeat

The Focus school with revive perks is Vazarin. Unairu is probably the least desirable school at the moment, but also possibly the most under-rated school. It's not BAD by any means, by most feel it isn't quite as useful as Naramon with +affinity +crit +invisibility, Vazarin with healing and instant revives, and Zenurik with additional energy regen. The devs have stated that Unairu will be getting looked at and probably changed/buffed in the near future.

Well, I wish we could have had previews of the schools before selecting, also, the description was misleading as hell.

It said like "beat your opponent with superior defenses and tactics" and other stuff like that.

It led me to believe I would get neat defensive abilities, like additional shield boosts or more armor, or some new perk that puts my armor on my shields, or more regen or something, but what it shoulda said was "turn your foes to stone like Medusa with the touch of a sword", since that is all the damn line is, just petrification......

I find it to be a very useless tree honestly.  Armor is a pretty much worthless mechanic in this game, once your shields are out, health drops in less time then it takes to go "oh S#&$".  860 health, max everything, even max armor with that Uniaru 10% boost and I dont notice my Rhino being that tough once my shield is gone.  I get into any battle where the monsters are serious at all, and its 3 shots for my shield, 2 shots for my health...

I would love the option to swap all my focus to a different, far more useable line...

Well, I wish we could have had previews of the schools before selecting, also, the description was misleading as hell.

It said like "beat your opponent with superior defenses and tactics" and other stuff like that.

It led me to believe I would get neat defensive abilities, like additional shield boosts or more armor, or some new perk that puts my armor on my shields, or more regen or something, but what it shoulda said was "turn your foes to stone like Medusa with the touch of a sword", since that is all the damn line is, just petrification......

I find it to be a very useless tree honestly.  Armor is a pretty much worthless mechanic in this game, once your shields are out, health drops in less time then it takes to go "oh S#&$".  860 health, max everything, even max armor with that Uniaru 10% boost and I dont notice my Rhino being that tough once my shield is gone.  I get into any battle where the monsters are serious at all, and its 3 shots for my shield, 2 shots for my health...

I would love the option to swap all my focus to a different, far more useable line...

The one gripe that comes up the most with new players is "Why isn't more information provided up front?" This is unfortunately a perfect example.

If you want, you can try a support ticket politely asking for a quest reward reset. They may do so as a 1-time courtesy (it doesn't hurt to ask at least). If that doesn't work out, you can always get another lens from Sorties or Trade (or even buy one from the market) to start down another school. You'll need to earn 50k Focus to unlock it, which I will admit sounds rough, but it is possible.

Best of luck...

Iron Skin scales off your armor actually. But yeah generally armor isn't useful and I'm not sure what they were thinking with that focus school. But good news. They are rebalancing the focus schools soon.

If you have any spare plat I'd recommend you invest in some greater lenses anyway. Or you could just do some sorties and hope for some lenses from those. Once you earn 50k focus from a school you can unlock it and switch to it. It's pretty grindy but you can do it.

Edited by Inmemoratus

The problem I see with Unairu is that there are only a few frames that benefit from a % armor boost. It's great for Valkyr but does nothing for Trinity.

Instead of a percentage boost, a hard number boost might be better for it. A flat scale of +50/+100/+150/+200 armor as you rank it up might have better use. Thus a max Unairu would give Trinity the armor of Rhino Prime, and would make Valkyr go from 600 armor to 800.

Edited by DaftMeat

The problem I see with Unairu is that there are only a few frames that benefit from a % armor boost. It's great for Valkyr but does nothing for Trinity.

Instead of a percentage boost, a hard number boost might be better for it. A flat scale of +50/+100/+150/+200 armor as you rank it up might have better use. Thus a max Unairu would give Trinity the armor of Rhino Prime, and would make Valkyr go from 600 armor to 800.

I think the issue with armor in general is the lack of sustain. The true reason it works for Valkyr is that she can heal back up every time she ults. So even if she's knocked out of her ult by whatever means, she has full health. This sustain cycle makes armor actually relevant.

It's relevant for Rhino because Iron Skin serves as a form of sustain since you can recast it every time it's down.

It's relevant for Frost since you can recast globe.

The Quick Thinking mod makes armor somewhat relevant due to how much energy sustain is available.

Even a frame with 100-200 armor can benefit reasonably from a % armor increase but only if that frame has a lot of health sustain. Alternatively, a frame with light sustain and very high armor can benefit.

But without any sustain or psuedo-sustain mechanics, armor is largely useless. Health orbs are too weak and uncommon to make armor relevant.

Edited by Inmemoratus

Great work from the OP.

Carrying about new players is always a good thing. And teaching them things by game would be better than research on wikia/forum/YT.

However:

- Transfering anything from other account is a bit cheating, and breaks true newcommer experience. :-(

- I wouldnt give too much of good stuff to new players, since that could be abused by multiple accounts. However more variety of damaged mods, or credists only Mk1 weapons is a good direction.

- Some of OP feedback is not really there, since common mods are common. and soon enought everyone will get common mods in right amount.

- Credits are supposed to be limmited resource at start! That is why alerts/invassions are for.

- To have 3 starting frame slots just spend starting plat for.

- Bleuprints for rare resources are not interest of new players.

- Not sure if forcing new players into void is a good idea. I would dare say opposite.

- Current benefits from MR are alright. From level 1to5 you unlock alot, after that player is no longer new. For many players maxing MR is not definicion of fun, so no need of pushing that.

- You try the test, you fail, you redo it next day. Problem? Maybe after failed atempt Lotus could advise to visit clan dojo to train more in "i dont remember the name room".

- The fact that i cant reset my second dream choice of focus school sucks. I went all rpg on it, and was punished.

Was thinking of what addition would make new player enjoying start more:

- damaged auras, sure that is concept which is easy to miss.

- "Quest" introducing the idea of moding things. Like here is your "starter aura" your quest is to collect enought fussion cores to level it up. Note that also Skana/Bo require melee aura. Especially the thing that we are supposed to add fussion mod

- Possibly more Mk1 weapons credits only just to see check prefered style. I think we are missing sniper and rifle type. As well as melee, dual swords MK1, and/or heavy hitter (Waraxe Mk1)

- Good introduction to spy mission, maybe with NPC voiceover instructing us what to do and giving tips.

- Starchart mission could have some locally increased rate of mod drop rate for some more special mods. For example getting melee stances is very hard, also getting any archwing mods is rare. In the same time i will never miss sentinel mods :-)

- Some form of hard to abuse starter discount on platinium. Like after 7th login guaranteed 200plat for 5$ or something like that. But maybe that is a abuseable.

- Pushing new players into starchart sounds as good idea, since that is most natural way to gain experience. Maybe completing each planet should give some reward. Like pick 1of3: cash, rare resource, uncommon mod. Higher level planets have better rewards.

Edited by felixsylvaris

Been running Sorties with Valkyr. A new lens (Zenurik), lots of cores.

Rank 3 with Suda. Steel Meridian is stuck at the edge of rank 5 because I cannot get Forma from the Void. Feast or famine...

First Baro purchase: Primed Reach, only at rank 3 because credits are lacking.

Still stuck between ranks 4 and 5 with Steel Meridian. The Rhino Prime helmet sacrifice (that I had crafted) was changed to a Trinity Prime helmet (that I do NOT have) when Rhino Prime got vaulted. So more RNG Void reward attempts before I can complete the syndicate ranks. Arbiters at rank 2 after a couple weeks of NOT being able to get a Forma from the Void for sacrifice. A lot of people complain that Forma BPs completely saturate the reward table, but that's RNG: you rarely seem to get what you're looking for. Suda at rank 3, Veil at rank 3.

Did my first Orokin Derilict with vault keys a while back, completed successfully with key being consumed, artifact picked up, and got to extraction. Afterwards, no Corrupted Mod awarded. Put in a support ticket, and after 3 auto-responses, I got a response basically saying "That's weird, thanks for letting us know." The end of support ticket. I'd be more upset if it wasn't obvious that DE is really overwhelmed in the support department. After subsequent runs, I ended up with Vile Acceleration and Spoiled Strike. Nothing special or particularly useful, IMO.

I've been running plenty of Void missions, but I still have no complete Prime sets at all. The closest thing I have to a complete set is the aforementioned (and vaulted) Rhino Prime. I'm only missing the Chassis, which I probably cannot get now without paying a pretty penny via Trade. To raise an obvious problem here: The void is full of junk, and knowing where to go to get complete sets is a complete mess. I truly hope this game can move away from using the player-maintained-wiki as a de facto instuction manual and game guide. I don't understand why the locations for crafting sets (whether prime gear or even basic warframes) needs to be "hidden" or at least left unclear. It would be nice if each blueprint for an item would note where the required pieces can be found.

I've also been running Sorties daily, or as I like to call them "Core-Tease". People complained about getting the same rewards over and over. Now with the patched in checkboxes for previously awarded gear, it seems that the ONLY duplicates we get now are 25 Rare Cores. The percentage for Cores seems very heavily skewed in the reward table. Again, no complete sets of Vandal, Wraith, or Nezha yet. Just lots and lots of cores.

I tried one Archwing alert this past week. I apparently got teamed with people in the same boat (or space-harness) as me, i.e., no mods and crap gear. After a team wipe, the mission was aborted. On my main account I did not mind Archwing, and I managed to get through ranking all current Archwing gear. Starting over again is becoming flat-out detestable, and I hate to admit that I despise the game mode now. I don't know how I did it the first time around, but I really just do not want to do it again.

Oberon sold. Nezha crafted after getting parts from sorties. Sonicor crafted, and even got Pummel (+120% Pistol Impact damage) from Void Trader. Creeping up on MR11. Still no Syndicate weapons.

Steel Meridian still stuck at the cusp of General (5), haven't got a Trinity Prime Helmet. Suda on the cusp of Wise (4), I need a Lex Prime Receiver. Arbiters closing on Lawful (3), Veil working to Revered (4).

Got lucky on my last sortie and got a Zenurik lens. 2500 toward 50k to unlock the school. In Naramon, I unlocked rank 1 of Strategic Execution for +15% melee affinity.

Still no Forma. It drops like mad on my main account, though. I did sell a lot of Saryn Prime parts. This account now has more Platinum than my main. :P

Just found this thread. I started somewhere in October 2015, so I still remember the life of new player. Especially how I, with max rank Excal and Karak, tried to do T1E. I ran out of ammo after 40 enemies and had to abort. Lost the key too. Building weapons/frames (don't mean foundry here) not explained, elemental weakness/resistance not explained. 

I recall potatoes being available during some quests, but I feel like they need to be more obvious, more enforced in the hands of new players. A quest for forma would be nice too, seeing how you struggle with getting one (don't forget about building requirements, 35k credits). Why it's necessary to potato and forma frames and weapons you like should be explained better, not plain "double mod capacity/change polarity" hidden behind "actions" button.

Also, a side-note, locations of prime items are not a secret to anyone. They are posted on wiki, reddit, even forums... but not in-game. It shouldn't be hard to put them in the Codex on according prime page. Or just put a link to wiki for new players somewhere in-game, this would work too.

5 hours ago, aband0n said:

Just found this thread. I started somewhere in October 2015, so I still remember the life of new player. Especially how I, with max rank Excal and Karak, tried to do T1E. I ran out of ammo after 40 enemies and had to abort. Lost the key too. Building weapons/frames (don't mean foundry here) not explained, elemental weakness/resistance not explained. 

That is awful, but understandable. I don't even remember: is the Gear Wheel even introduced at all for players? Or is it just shown in the Market?

I recall potatoes being available during some quests, but I feel like they need to be more obvious, more enforced in the hands of new players. A quest for forma would be nice too, seeing how you struggle with getting one (don't forget about building requirements, 35k credits). Why it's necessary to potato and forma frames and weapons you like should be explained better, not plain "double mod capacity/change polarity" hidden behind "actions" button.

As noted before, I wish the DE staff that put out videos could be given the means to do a whole series on "How To" and "Did You Know" with the end goal of them making their way in-game eventually.

Also, a side-note, locations of prime items are not a secret to anyone. They are posted on wiki, reddit, even forums... but not in-game. It shouldn't be hard to put them in the Codex on according prime page. Or just put a link to wiki for new players somewhere in-game, this would work too.

Preach on, brother.

Failed the rank up test for MR11 (parkour traversal while shooting targets for additional time). Parkour 2.0 actually makes it somewhat more difficult: experienced a bug where I kept falling even after position reset, and even after catching myself with Aim Glide and trying to wall climb, I hit an invisible lip that prevented me from cresting over the side of the wall.

Will have to try again in 24 hours...

8 minutes ago, DaftMeat said:

Failed the rank up test for MR11 (parkour traversal while shooting targets for additional time). Parkour 2.0 actually makes it somewhat more difficult: experienced a bug where I kept falling even after position reset, and even after catching myself with Aim Glide and trying to wall climb, I hit an invisible lip that prevented me from cresting over the side of the wall.

Will have to try again in 24 hours...

Man, that one is hard.

3 minutes ago, felixsylvaris said:

Man, that one is hard.

Up until the bugs, the hardest part for me was playing with a controller. I'm trying more to use a wired 360 controller instead of keyboard/mouse to help with Carpal Tunnel, and I always use a controller for this alt account as part of the "testing".

I don't know how console players do it. The control scheme is good for what it is, but this game is MUCH easier with K/M setup.

This thread is a window into another world for me. I've got 435 hours played time, and MR12.. a lot of the things you're talking about doing in the first few weeks on a brand new account, I can't do or haven't even thought about doing, they're so far out of reach. I primarily play solo, so my multiplayer experience is all with randoms. Missions with unpopular types that there are never groups for but aren't soloable(Interception, etc.) just don't get unlocked. I have no chance of getting certain frames, and so on. Void is limited to missions I can easily solo because there is no 'random group' mechanic for void that I've seen. I'd happily share my keys with people for this. I wouldn't even consider doing a Sortie..

I think I'm bugged out somehow and can't get The Second Dream quest, so that's not helping(can't unlock Focus stuff.) Until I read your thread I thought it came after the Jordas Precept(which is what immediately popped up when I logged back into the game for the first time in 1.5 years or so.) I'm at the final step of it and cannot complete it due to Archwing(and no groups to carry me.) I have been trying to grind AW missions for mods and to rank up but it's so barren and terrible. I put in reactors/catalysts ASAP but now I don't even have the mods to fill the points. I'm hoping if I somehow finish this terrible thing that my quest status will reset and I can go back and do the Second Dream. If there's something I need to do to unlock it, it's totally not apparent, and again, I'm not a new player.

I'll probably keep watching your thread, from my 'apparently doing all the wrong things for various reasons' perspective.

35 minutes ago, Vomitous said:

This thread is a window into another world for me. I've got 435 hours played time, and MR12.. a lot of the things you're talking about doing in the first few weeks on a brand new account, I can't do or haven't even thought about doing, they're so far out of reach. I primarily play solo, so my multiplayer experience is all with randoms. Missions with unpopular types that there are never groups for but aren't soloable(Interception, etc.) just don't get unlocked. I have no chance of getting certain frames, and so on. Void is limited to missions I can easily solo because there is no 'random group' mechanic for void that I've seen. I'd happily share my keys with people for this. I wouldn't even consider doing a Sortie..

I think I'm bugged out somehow and can't get The Second Dream quest, so that's not helping(can't unlock Focus stuff.) Until I read your thread I thought it came after the Jordas Precept(which is what immediately popped up when I logged back into the game for the first time in 1.5 years or so.) I'm at the final step of it and cannot complete it due to Archwing(and no groups to carry me.) I have been trying to grind AW missions for mods and to rank up but it's so barren and terrible. I put in reactors/catalysts ASAP but now I don't even have the mods to fill the points. I'm hoping if I somehow finish this terrible thing that my quest status will reset and I can go back and do the Second Dream. If there's something I need to do to unlock it, it's totally not apparent, and again, I'm not a new player.

I'll probably keep watching your thread, from my 'apparently doing all the wrong things for various reasons' perspective.

This is a prime example of why I am doing this thread. There is a wealth of information that new players could use that is just not in-game. Sure, it's nice being in a Clan and having experienced Friends you can ask questions of, but sometimes you don't even know there's a question to be asked. It's very easy to fall into traps of "doing things wrong" because there's nothing in place to let you know there's an easier or better way.

And you're not just wrong yourself, I'm still finding the same problems you see. Trying to 100% the star chart is still a huge chore. I have been dragging my heels in finishing Pluto, Eris, Europa, even Neptune and other planets because squads are just not there. That goes double for Archwing nodes. I am stuck at 2/3 done with my first set of AW gear because just like you I don't even have the mods to fill all the available points I have.

What you are doing now is a great step in the right direction: the forums are a good place for trying to learn how to progress better and easier through the game. Ask questions, ask opinions, even ask for help ("Need help with Jordas quest because my AW gear sucks" was a fairly common thread topic when it first went live). Don't feel bad and don't beat yourself up for "doing things wrong". Not everyone has time to spend hours in-game every day, browse the forums constantly, and watch every single Devstream and Prime Time.

And just to be clear: "The Second Dream is automatically made available upon completion of the Natah quest, after receiving an Inbox message from the Lotus. The Quest can be activated in the Quests section of the Codex." Its prerequisites are Stolen Dreams (unlocked from the Codex after reaching Mastery Rank 3) and Natah (initiated upon players encountering & scanning Sentient drones in the Grineer Sealab tileset on Uranus). If the quest is bugged, try setting another available quest as "Active" through the codex if possible. Then switch back to The Second Dream to see if you have a mission prompt. If that still doesn't work, you may have to go through the (always overworked, often overwhelmed) support staff.

Lastly, if you need help with finishing the Jordas quest, hit me up in-game on my main account (IGN same as Forum name). I can get you through it, and some of my friendlier clan-mates may likely join in to help out.

Happy gaming, Tenno...

Edited by DaftMeat
speeling erors

20 minutes ago, Vomitous said:

Are you any good at Spy? It can be a bit of an RNG wall, but there's not much Ivara can't deal with once you mod her up a bit. You stand a chance of getting Covert Lethality which synergises excellently with her Sleep Arrows too.

Recruiting chat is as close to public matchmaking as you can get for Void missions. It's also where you'll need to go for Derelict runs for those sweet, sweet Corrupt mods. If you take my Ivara advice, then I recommend shoving Overextended onto her once you get it. Lack of power-strength isn't a problem when you can Sleep large groups for melee stealth finishers.

I was a solo player when I started (my run count on Tolstoj probably outstrips any other node in game, I farmed the hell out of Vor just for the fun of it), and my Clan was just me, for the most part. All randoms, no clanmates to form proper groups with.

I've not had many issues pubbing Sorties for the most part; if there's one MVP you desperately need like a Frost for Excavations, as long as you bring that you're probably good with whatever matchmade help you get.

With regards to Second Dream, that follows on after Natah, not Jordas. Spend some time on Uranus until you go through your run-in with the Oculysts and all that follows.

Archwing mods can be a chore, but you can make use of the fact they drop as mission rewards.

Running low level Archwing Exterminate missions and always meleeing through things will get you a few over time, although it's not the funnest thing; using Melee means that you'll never miss a mod that drops, which can happen often when shooting everything. Can be hard to pick out mods amongst the space backdrop and random debris.

7 minutes ago, EDYinnit said:

Are you any good at Spy? It can be a bit of an RNG wall, but there's not much Ivara can't deal with once you mod her up a bit. You stand a chance of getting Covert Lethality which synergises excellently with her Sleep Arrows too.

I agree with you that Spy is a good mode to farm for both affinity and rewards, and hacking is definitely a minigame that it helps to be familiar with if you ever get to raids. That being said, I'm still farming Ivara on my second account myself and have been trying for all her parts ever since I ran my first Spy mission on account #2. I only have 2/4 of her parts to show for it. Random Number Generator rewards, yo.

I'm still in favor of going with Loki first as he's easier to farm. You are guaranteed a Loki part every time you beat the Hyenas on Neptune. Even if it's not the part you need, odds are you'll farm him quicker than you'll farm Ivara. Upgrade to her afterward if you prefer.