Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Urgent - Controller Power Menu Bug Has Returned

EmptyDevil

Just tested it, I'm not encountering the problem again. I took Loki Prime out to a random mission just to test it, all of my powers worked as intended and the power menu closed. It may be more specific. What frames are you experiencing this on? Which powers? DE needs these sorts of details.

It's in the link. I was using Loki Prime. It's exactly as jayekaiser said.

I just realized that link leads to a thread you made about the issue when it first popped up.

Edited by EmptyDevil

So once again this bug returns. Y'all fixed it once already, I don't know what y'all did for it to return. but here is my old support ticket that explains my bug.

Fahren_Corvalis

Dec 8, 16:36

As of today, my power menu gets stuck and won't go away when ever I use any of my powers. My keybindings are unchanged since I made them the way they are when I started Warframe. The only change came when y'all added the 5th power(focus). That is up on the DPad for me. Now, when I use a power my power menu/wheel doesn't go away until I cast my 5, which for some reason is hold down LB(Power button), which never was keybinded that way before today. This problem is making the game unplayable for me as I can't run, jump, attack, revive, etc., as long as the power menu is up. Please help me or fix this problem. I am missing out on today's Sortie and other Alerts.

Hey guys! Merged relevant threads here. The bug happens because the Power Menu is bound to LB, which is also default for the focus power (labelled as Power E). When this first came about we updated the code across all platforms so that it could detect and auto-fix the issue. It seems PC is experiencing some trouble with the change based on your reports, which we will be investigating tomorrow morning. 

For the time being, please go into your Customized Controller screen and bind "Power E" to something else. This will allow you to play the game until tomorrow when we can get a better look at what's happening. 

Hey guys! Merged relevant threads here. The bug happens because the Power Menu is bound to LB, which is also default for the focus power (labelled as Power E). When this first came about we updated the code across all platforms so that it could detect and auto-fix the issue. It seems PC is experiencing some trouble with the change based on your reports, which we will be investigating tomorrow morning. 

For the time being, please go into your Customized Controller screen and bind "Power E" to something else. This will allow you to play the game until tomorrow when we can get a better look at what's happening. 

My "Power E" is mapped to D-Pad Up but the bug is still there. I will miss out on todays sortie, and my horrible chance to TRY to get Nezha.

My "Power E" has been set to "D-pad right" before the bug and it still breaks. 

Mine is at d-pad down, it does not work at all, this is horribly annoying, the game is unplayable, this should be a priority not some thing you left for tomorrow smh... But ohwell at least the rb solution was fitting

Edited by Hayzemet

Well I toke my time writing a concise and professional post and then something happen my page reloaded and I lost it all. So here is a quick unprofessional version of what i found out and how to get the game working again. ahhh.... I hate myself right now.

I have found a work around to this Bug/Issue.

THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR ONE GAME SESSION AT A TIME, SO SAVE A COPY OF THE ALTERED EE.CFG FILE.

What do i mean by this you ask? Well there is probably some pre-loader code set to alter some key bindings settings per the DEV's instruction. This is probably the "auto fix" Danielle mentioned.

Knowing this I set out to break it. This means that this "fix" works per game session as the that piece of code will activate every time when the game is launched. Meaning every time you "Quit" the game and reopen it, it will happen again, but while in the game it will work no matter what mission your in and what key bindings you have.

TECH SAVY USERS SKIP TO STEP 5 AND COPY WITH THE CORRECT CFG FORMAT

Step 1. While in game change the config for Power E to D-PAD UP, or something you will remember then Quit out of the game.

Step 2. Go to " C:\Users\[uSER NAME]\AppData\Local\Warframe " WITHOUT THE QUOTES. Where [uSERNAME] is you logon name on your PC.

Step 3. Open EE.cfg with Note Pad.

Step 4. Find the string that says ACTIVATE_ABILITY_4={. In this case I have key=EN_GAMEPAD_UP bound to Power E which is Ability 4.

Step 5. Delete EN_GAMEPAD_UP from the key=EN_GAMEPAD_UP. DO NOT DELETE THE WHOLE STRING OR ELSE IT WILL NOT WORK. It should now look like this.

Original Config

ACTIVATE_ABILITY_4={
    {
        key=key=EN_GAMEPAD_UP
        inputMode=IM_NORMAL
        invert=0
        deadzone=0
        scale=1
        povAxis=PAT_UNUSED
    }
}

Broken Config

ACTIVATE_ABILITY_4={
    {
        key=
        inputMode=IM_NORMAL
        invert=0
        deadzone=0
        scale=1
        povAxis=PAT_UNUSED
    }
}

Step 6. Save the file and copy it to a separate location, like your Desktop, for use later.

Launch the game which will load properly but so things will be a bit different. When at the login screen some keys will act as the Esc key but don not worry as you can just hit NO when the gives up the "Are you sure you would like to exit the game" prompt and continue typing your password. The next change will be that your key bindings will be blank so most of your keys will do nothing. Setting your key bindings to what you desire will now work, but only for this session as I mentioned. All keys should now work with out issue including the LB/R1 bound as the Power Menu. If by the next time to want to Launch the game there has not been a patch to fix this Bug/Issue you will have to do this again.

Time for me to play now.....

Yep. This is at least the 3rd time this bug appeared in the game. Using any ability, on any frame, causes the ability menu to stay open. While the ability menu is open you cannot run, roll, aim, shoot, use gear, or melee. All you can do is move and use abilities.

This wouldn't be so frustrating if it wasn't the 3rd time this bug had appeared, the 2nd time it was readded after being fixed. When you fix it this time, please also make sure it isn't automatically added to the game again during the next update, so you don't have to fix it again. Just sayin'.

Edited by Protomorph

I appreciate your suggestion, the only problem is that there aren't enough buttons on the controller to just map "E" to something else without removing another necessary command. There simply aren't enough buttons on controllers to do all that you need to do. Please consider adding a function to map commands to button combinations for controller players, instead of limiting it to single button presses only. It would go a long way towards alleviating problems like this and help gameplay in general.

Hey all,

I'm looking into this issue and believe I'm getting closer to figuring out what's wrong. So far I have successfully reproduced the issue while not playing in Big Picture mode. In this case I was able to go into Options - Customize Controller, and rebind Power Menu to Left Bumper, after which going into a mission and pressing Left Bumper would trigger my Focus Power and cause the Power Menu to remain open, regardless of what Power E was bound to.

Without wanting to get too technical, the reason this is happening is because the game accepts a different type of input code when a button is pressed at the same time as the Power Menu. Currently, when you customize your controller bindings outside of Big Picure mode, we're not letting you customize those input codes, which I believe was merely an oversight on our part. Although you can currently customize Power A - E, those are just the regular shortcuts for use without the Power Menu. The result of all of this is that even if you've bound the regular shortcut for Power E to something else, the game still thinks Left Bumper should activate Power E if the Power Menu is open, and therein lies the problem. If Power Menu is also bound to Left Bumper, it gets stuck open.

I'm writing a fix right now that will allow you to properly customize those controller bindings that relate directly to use in conjunction with the Power Menu. I will also continue to investigate whether I can reproduce this issue while in Big Picture mode, since I see at least one post in this thread which suggests it is possible.

I just logged in and can't play because of this bug. It gets painful and confusing to swap my power button to the RB, and I can only really use it on bumpers. My other bumper is melee, and melee needs to be spammed a lot more rapidly than powers(for me). For some reason, the left bumper gets painful for me when rapidly pressed, the right bumper not so much. I have tried many combinations, and only my current setup is comfortable to use. I have a disability that causes extreme sensitivity to stimuli, and constant pain. I play games to distract myself from the pain, and trying to workaround a system in a way that causes more pain is not worth it.

Please send me a PM when this issue is fixed, because I'm not going back in there when the only way to play is painful. 

Hey all,

I'm looking into this issue and believe I'm getting closer to figuring out what's wrong. So far I have successfully reproduced the issue while not playing in Big Picture mode. In this case I was able to go into Options - Customize Controller, and rebind Power Menu to Left Bumper, after which going into a mission and pressing Left Bumper would trigger my Focus Power and cause the Power Menu to remain open, regardless of what Power E was bound to.

Without wanting to get too technical, the reason this is happening is because the game accepts a different type of input code when a button is pressed at the same time as the Power Menu. Currently, when you customize your controller bindings outside of Big Picure mode, we're not letting you customize those input codes, which I believe was merely an oversight on our part. Although you can currently customize Power A - E, those are just the regular shortcuts for use without the Power Menu. The result of all of this is that even if you've bound the regular shortcut for Power E to something else, the game still thinks Left Bumper should activate Power E if the Power Menu is open, and therein lies the problem. If Power Menu is also bound to Left Bumper, it gets stuck open.

I'm writing a fix right now that will allow you to properly customize those controller bindings that relate directly to use in conjunction with the Power Menu. I will also continue to investigate whether I can reproduce this issue while in Big Picture mode, since I see at least one post in this thread which suggests it is possible.

While you're fixing this serious bug any chance you could look into giving custom "Two button binds" for controller users. Figuring out some new combination of buttons for controller users to activate Focus powers, and implementing a better alt-fire for controller users- or even the opportunity to revert to the old right trigger shoot, left trigger, alt fire/ activate mode?

Being able to press multiple buttons for binds, would alleviate some issues for controller users. LB and RB for Focus power for example...

While you're fixing this serious bug any chance you could look into giving custom "Two button binds" for controller users. Figuring out some new combination of buttons for controller users to activate Focus powers, and implementing a better alt-fire for controller users- or even the opportunity to revert to the old right trigger shoot, left trigger, alt fire/ activate mode?

Being able to press multiple buttons for binds, would alleviate some issues for controller users. LB and RB for Focus power for example...

That, and let us use Big Picture Mode, and have the binds that are available without Big Picture Mode. Having those options for binding is what makes me avoid Big Picture Mode. I hate having to do that, because the interface control is so much better. Sadly, missions are more important than the interface and menus. 

Hey all,

Apologies for the wait. It appears that no new hotfixes went live yesterday, which is a little unusual. However I can tell you that my fix (described in my last post) is definitely in the next batch ready to go live and this is scheduled for release sometime later today.

In response to your post, Anihlmal, I know that in the past we've talked about how cool it would be to get one or more of the controller buttons acting like the Shift/Ctrl/Alt modifier keys on a keyboard, and how much extra functionality that would enable you to bind. Whether we're able to implement that in this version of our game engine is definitely something I'd like to investigate more thoroughly in the new year. I do also sympathise with the changes that happened to Alt Fire earlier this year. To provide some feedback on why they happened, it was essentially because in Parkour 2.0 we made it so that Aim also acted as cling to wall. However it was then realised that this would prevent Alt Fire from being used in such positions. The decision was made to detach Alt Fire from Aim, to re-enable that ability. However, and in my opinion, we should still have allowed binding of Alt Fire to the same button as Aim. Again, that is something I would like to revisit in the new year.

Latest hotfix is out! Hopefully this means that you should now have the ability to rebind Power E (Power Menu) in your Customize Controller screen to something other than Left Bumper (or whichever button you currently use for Power Menu), and this should solve the issue of the Power Menu getting stuck open.

You might notice as well that I've also opened up the ability to rebind Powers A - D (Power Menu), which I figured I would do since there was no sense not to. However, please note that our UI elements aren't really flexible enough (yet!) to support properly displaying any rebound buttons for these actions, so if you choose to rebind those Powers please be advised that while they will work, the button icons on screen may be wrong! 

Latest hotfix is out! Hopefully this means that you should now have the ability to rebind Power E (Power Menu) in your Customize Controller screen to something other than Left Bumper (or whichever button you currently use for Power Menu), and this should solve the issue of the Power Menu getting stuck open.

You might notice as well that I've also opened up the ability to rebind Powers A - D (Power Menu), which I figured I would do since there was no sense not to. However, please note that our UI elements aren't really flexible enough (yet!) to support properly displaying any rebound buttons for these actions, so if you choose to rebind those Powers please be advised that while they will work, the button icons on screen may be wrong! 

That's Great Jim! Opening up the power wheel for rebinding is great extra flexibility for controller users. I think it just needs cleaning up a little though, (I can handle the UI not currently supporting it).

Currently when you rebind "Power Wheel E (Focus Power)" to RB (Which is default quick melee, and melee attack in melee mode for me) it unbinds the button for the aforementioned melee uses. So whilst Focus powers work, you can no longer melee. 

So temporarily I've had to manually rebind "power wheel E" to an extra button I didn't really want to (Left on the dpad)- so have to press LB plus LEFT. I'm hoping you can fix that? I think melee is hard-coded into some of bindings  or can't be multi-binded currently? Reminds me of the Archwing up/ down stuff?

I was hoping I could have RB for quick melee and melee, and LB +RB for the Focus power- makes much sense to me.

Also you might want to default bind Power-wheel E to something, so then new players who plug in their controllers for the first time, aren't met with the frozen power wheel bug (which they will be, especially since they're new and have no idea what power E is or does, or that they have to rebind it to fix it).

As with regards to multi-button bindings and alt-fire. It's good to know you agree with me. I think it would make a much funner, easier to control game for everyone including those folks on the Consoles... I assume most of this stuff drips down to them too? And I assume they're struggling with alt-fire too? Will something already be implemented for their update 18 Focus power binding?

I absolutely understand why Alt-fire was given its own button, I agree with the decision. But think of how having the binding Left Trigger + RB for alt-fire (Left trigger acting as the modifier), or any other combination would allow people to use those guns much better... Currently I have to press right on the dpad- and that doesn't feel half as fun as the old, left-trigger, right trigger setup- and do I really need to aim with a grenade launcher?

I had a little play with the new snipers, and using right on my dpad to zoom, it severely cripples how effective those guns can otherwise be. Holding left trigger soft or hard to zoom further in perhaps? I don't know. 

Obviously I don't expect fixes tomorrow for all of these things, but some of these issues have been around for over half a year now. Be fantastic if it was shown a little care and attention next year! :)

Thanks Jim.

Edit: Oh yeah, currently my new favourite melee weapon has no vibration on the controller, "The Mios". Thought I'd add that in, since you got me that damn sweet fine vibration for the Dragon Nakana :p

Edited by Anihlmal