Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Window Curtain Scarf

alexmach1

• 2 weeks later...

The design is nice but that noise map on the normal makes it hideous, i can't understand what material is that supposed to be, sorry : \ 

On the 3ds renders or the Tennogen renders? For some reason, 3dsmax likes to read normal maps differently which makes it more pronounced than it should be.

All of them, it just doesn't look like a material that exists in the world of warframe and it's making the other details hard to read. If you want to use a normal height map to indicate a fabric (or any material) try to use one that's uniform and very small in size so that it's noticeable if you look up close but in a distance it becomes tiny noise so that you can see clearly all the other details :) that should work a ton better!

Edited by HitsuSan

All of them, it just doesn't look like a material that exists in the world of warframe and it's making the other details hard to read. If you want to use a normal height map to indicate a fabric (or any material) try to use one that's uniform and very small in size so that it's noticeable if you look up close but in a distance it becomes tiny noise so that you can see clearly all the other details :) that should work a ton better!

Textures are limited to 1024x1024 resolution; any texture that small would become compression artifacts and noise.

Also it's been like 2 weeks. I can resubmit some new maps, but I can't redo the renders.

I know how it works and if i'm suggesting it it's because it's doable, but it's up to you if you want to trust me and try or if you think it's perfectly fine as it is obviously :)

There were enough complaints to warrant a change, but my point is that even if I do change it it's not like I can make a global "hey look I changed this thing" to everyone who already saw it. And you say it's doable, but after seeing the results from the Rota Syandana I respectfully disagree. You shouldn't be trying to make the materials "like real life" because once they're in-engine, they will look entirely different. Tennogen does not provide an accurate representation of how it will appear.

I don't even use tennogen to take screenshots ^^ use a game engine, check how the map look on different mipmap compression levels, bake the compressed map yourself. There are lots of things you can do, obviously i don't know exactly how the evolution engine manage it's textures but you can lower the chances to get an awful result.

Anyway i didn't mean to argue, it's just a suggestion ;)

Many game engines use different rendering pipelines and will give an even worse perspective on how your item will appear ingame. You cannot submit compressed maps, you have to send in high-quality PNG files and DE handles the compression. The Evolution Engine handles mipmapping by view angle rather than distance, which is why the textures look the way they are. You can visualize this yourself by looking at the Rota Syandana preview ingame, where the cape part's tints bleed into eachother when viewed at extreme angles. It was only after seeing it in-game that I got an accurate idea of how to handle the textures.

You should always include a Tennogen render in your threads and steam workshop page; even though the rendering is different than it would be in the Evolution Engine, it composes the material in the proper way and provides important feedback both for the creator and the community.