Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Damage, shields, mods, enemies, and you.

KGeddon

Hi

I just want to ask if the calculations here are still valid? (awsome work by KGeddon btw)

The first post tells something about using more than 1 damage mods and nodes etc... i guess that was with the old mod system.. so why is this still sticky?

It is important to know how damage is calculated as fusing high level mods is quite expensive as well all know. Best thing would be to have the information in the game right away. There should be an infobox showing all the information we need, like base damage of weapon, bonus damage from different mods and bonus damage from mods on certain factions. (also tooltips for mods when hovering over the mod the tooltip would show the effect on the current weapon)

The DE has made such impresive and complicated kind of damage calculating with the possibilities of 100-200 or more shots each minute each room and the game is still fluent, awesome

Damage calculations are among the easiest things a game can do. It often involves integer math, doesn't occur every frame, and only needs to be done once per instance.

Hitscan (instant bullet) calculations are much worse.  You have to do a broad sweep to see which objects it -may- collide with (hundreds of objects), another narrow sweep to see which of those objects it actually does collide with (tens of objects), and then determine the exact location and angle that it hits (one to several objcets, each with several hitboxes).  All of these calculations usually involve floating point numbers and three dimensional vectors.

Even with a CPU core that does literally billions of calculations per second, the idea of running a modern game at 60 frames per second is astonishing.  ...And then your user wants to record the game with FRAPS on top of it and complains when it hurts performance.

Hi

I just want to ask if the calculations here are still valid? (awsome work by KGeddon btw)

The info is severely outdated, since OP is describing the old mod system.

Also worth noting; Edited by KGeddon, 29 January 2013@OP