The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Make The Operator Less Of An Npc?

Chipputer

Apologies if the SPOILERS thing is still ongoing. I don't see a notification anymore and the topic wasn't pinned in the news area, so I assume it's alright to not pretend like everyone is clueless.

Anyway.

The reveal of the Operator might have some big plans for the future, sure, but as of right now they feel more like glorified NPCs. Every time I go to mess around with my Focus points, I question why my Operator is just sitting in the chair and I'm essentially staring at myself through a separate pair of eyes.

Why are we not walking around in the liset? Just let the Warframe stay on the arsenal pad with the loadout visibly equipped while we handle everything we need to within the liset. When we need to dock at a terminal or run a mission, just have the Warframe get activated and everything goes on as it should.

It seems pointless to have the Operator confirm that the somatic link is established when the link is never really broken, as of now.

I understand that we're basically talking about people that have sat inside of a machine asleep for hundreds, possibly thousands, of years and that their muscles are probably destroyed and useless, but it would really be nice to not have the Operator just sit in a chair and... exist.

EDIT: To be precise, I am speaking only of walking around within our liset/orbiter, not in the relays and whatnot, but I have no objections to discussion of the idea of walking around elsewhere.

Edited by Chipputer

I really hope we can use the Operator at least in our Orbiter, but idk about taking our super vulnerable self outside of it, because if they die, we DIE.

As for self-confirmation of things like Transference, irl military teaches soldiers to self-confirm things for keeping theirselves organized, so it's a real thing to do.

Edited by Sitchrea

I would still mark this for spoilers, seeing as lots of people haven't still done the quest. And there are always new players to Warframe. Spoilers below.

On the topic, however, I completely agree with you. I don't like my operator being a crippled teenager who is super immature 90 percent of the time. I think the Operator's dialogue should be WAY more mature, seeing as they have been in cryogenic stasis and bombing and killing by proxy for years. And yes. the operator feels way to much like an NPC for my liking. Maybe give players the option to move around as a Warframe or operator in the Liset or maybe relays later on?

DE might gate this behind another quest or two, but I could be very happy moving around my Liset as the Tenno, instead of the Warframe - and walking around in Relays and the Dojo the same way.  

It would make sense, especially since I really doubt any of the former children would be happy just sitting in their chairs if they had the option not to, however much they had to work at it.

Though this does give the impression of the Tenno operator doing laps around the Liset now that they're "awake," doing pushups and crunches, hitting a heavy bag, and being stared at by the kubrow the entire time.

Though you'd think that now that the Tenno operators are awake, they'd want to work with Ordis to make the AI either more awake and thoughtful, less... weird ("Gun! GUN!  GUUUUUN!"), or both.

Not sure if they meant it to be like this, but the introduction of the Tenno speaking made me get disconnected from the game as me being a Tenno.

that's not me anymore, I guess I am the frame, I do not talk, my actions speak for me.

I love update 18, but from a role playing mindset while playing the game, I'm not a Tenno anymore.

There was a hole here, now it's gone. I guess...  (╯°Д°)︵ ┻━┻

Not sure if they meant it to be like this, but the introduction of the Tenno speaking made me get disconnected from the game as me being a Tenno.

that's not me anymore, I guess I am the frame, I do not talk, my actions speak for me.

I love update 18, but from a role playing mindset while playing the game, I'm not a Tenno anymore.

I think of it this way - now that the children know they are not their Warframes, but actually people, it makes sense for them to talk - especially with each other.  They'd still probably give the proper Tenno Silent Treatment to others, though.

What I'd like to see is conversations unfolding between the different voice/personality packs people pick for their Tenno, similar to how they did in Mass Effect 3 between squadmates, or in Dragon Age: Inquisition.  DE would have to take a lot of variables into account to do it, but I think it would add a lot of flavor to missions to actually hear the Tenno operators in their squad talking smack about each other, about the enemies they're fighting, trading jokes, and the like.

What the Second Dream quest suggested to me is that now that the operators know that they are definitely not their Warframes, the question of who they are and why they do what they do matters much more.  In light of that, them trading jokes and talking even while enemies of the Tenno still see nothing but the voiceless and silent Warframes makes sense to me.

I think of it this way - now that the children know they are not their Warframes, but actually people, it makes sense for them to talk - especially with each other.  They'd still probably give the proper Tenno Silent Treatment to others, though.

Oh, no what I meant was I feel disconnected when they talk because of the constant whining of random crap while on a mission (even in solo)

I don't mind the Tenno having their own voice if we get to choose what they say, like the talk with The Lotus at the end of the quest. It's the random missions chatter that makes it feel like I'm being talked to all the time by some one else rather than that being me doing the talking.

Part of the problem is that your void powers are unstable, which is why they use Transference in the first place.  From what I got from the cinematics, too long outside of the chair, and the Void energy in your body literally starts to spiral out of your control until it kills you.  The Dream, however, grants you enough control that you truely are in control of your power, while the Warframe is a body capable of dealing with the tremendous stresses involved with channeling Void energy.

Oh, no what I meant was I feel disconnected when they talk because of the constant whining of random crap while on a mission (even in solo)

I don't mind the Tenno having their own voice if we get to choose what they say, like the talk with The Lotus at the end of the quest. It's the random missions chatter that makes it feel like I'm being talked to all the time by some one else rather than that being me doing the talking.

Ah, that makes sense.  I saw it as my Tenno's internal monologue about things, but you're right that it can be immersion-breaking.

On that note though, I'll go make my post about Tenno personalities and voicepacks in the General Feedback forum, and go from there.

Part of the problem is that your void powers are unstable, which is why they use Transference in the first place.  From what I got from the cinematics, too long outside of the chair, and the Void energy in your body literally starts to spiral out of your control until it kills you.  The Dream, however, grants you enough control that you truely are in control of your power, while the Warframe is a body capable of dealing with the tremendous stresses involved with channeling Void energy.

Yeah and I understand this, but the dialogue also gave it more of a sense that it was attached to stress. They always describe them as "outbursts" and whatnot. The Lotus also describes us being able to channel our energy by focusing (and I don't mean the Focus system). One would assume that with all the time we've spent in our second dream we would have learned a bit about how to control our powers simply by virtue of using them through our Warframe proxies.

Regardless, it's not like us, as players, sitting in our liset for hours doing nothing is what actually is happening.

FYI, if you find the Operator's comments immersion-breaking you can turn them off.

Options -> Audio -> Operator Voice

I didn't know that, thank you. <3

I thought the whole operator thing was handled well, until that character creation screen. They should have given us an option to keep the hood up and give them a darth vader type voice (in the sense of how the voice is processed and not so much the sound). That or keep them a silent, gender neutral, faceless parody of ourselves.

I thought the whole operator thing was handled well, until that character creation screen. They should have given us an option to keep the hood up and give them a darth vader type voice (in the sense of how the voice is processed and not so much the sound). That or keep them a silent, gender neutral, faceless parody of ourselves.

I'm pretty sure they'll add more customization options in the future.