Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

[Alt Helmet] Nekros - Lazarus (Now For Sale in Steam Workshop)

The following are just fine-detail suggestions to make the helmet look more organic and color balanced.

The contour of the mask-wings/mask-wings ridge seems noticeably choppy. It's not something you would see unless you're looking for it, but because you're trying to add more organic features, smoothing the ridge/mask contour would help in a subtle way. To be specific, I mean the thin surface that forms the top of the mask on both side of the helmet (it's a ridge). In fact, the choppiness is visible on the side of the mask-wings as well.

Another thing to consider is removing the metal texture from the mask entirely. None of Nekros' current helmets or the Warframe as a whole have metallic textures. The metallic bits make it look needlessly mechanical. The helmet already has very mechanical details/geometry. The metallic bits make it look even more so.

Also, I suggest playing around with the color balance a bit more. To use the default Nekros colors: the helmet has a hug amount of dark blue, which is cool, but perhaps too much. I suggest adding more of the creamy grey (the color on his neck). If you decide to remove the metallic textures I suggest you replace them with the grey color as well.

It took me awhile to find the choppy part of the helmet... you're talking about the curving edge that leads up to the top of the crests? Could be smoother, yeah. We are a bit more zoomed in here than we would be in-game though so I'm not sure how much of an impact 8 or 16 more triangles will make to smooth that out.

You must be a Raknis type of Nekros player because I based the metal off the default helmet, where his entire face region is metal and untintable black, as are the large vent objects on the back, and various tube details at the base of the skull. (personally I'm not a big fan of Raknis or Shroud, which was part of my drive to make this helmet lol). I guess that's just personal preference.

The neck tint is also on the really organic flared pieces on the back of the head, I could do with taking some more screenshots. In general I wanted to keep the tints somewhat basic, as the tints on the original helmet are extremely basic and mostly the tint2 (the dark blue) color. I did remove a little of the neck tint (tint3 I think) when I removed those little flaps from the sides of the face area. Of all the suggestions given, playing with tintmasks is the only one I'm somewhat willing to put some more time into.

Sorry to be so negative after such a thoughtful crit. I've already moved on to the Chroma helmet though, trying to get that one in too before the round ends if I can.

----

In your defense, and everyone else who is telling me this is too "mechanical" feeling, it does have more hard edges than the body does overall. I'm still learning to zoom out more while working and compare to the fully textured body and although I'm not going to make more changes to the forms of this helmet, a big goal of mine is to make helmets that use a lot more of the body's visual language in them. In the case of most Warframes, that means plumper shapes and broader forms with just a subtle lacing of details. It's a learning process and there's always room to improve. Having fun though!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time out of their days to leave me a comment!

Edited by Syncrasis

I get the comments on the visuals being more tech and edgy than the body and other helms. And I have no idea how that stands to the guide-text of

"flowing siluette".

You are a great skilled artist and modeller clearly. And this is a great end result. I got some way to go to catch up to your level for sure.

As for the design, you have given Nekros a brand new look. And that too is something we all aspire to and want. And that in itself is a goal reached.

Keep up the good work aand let's see what the devs have to say.

• 1 month later...

Nice helmet...will view it in game first but will probably buy this. And if I do it will be my first steam workshop buy. Now if I can get someone to make a predator themed ash helmet I will be happy.

The helmet seems too big in game. I know it's supposed to be big vertically and all, but it still seems TOO big. Is it the same scale as was intended?

Also, the attachment dock for the Mortos thing seems to have physics effects (it wiggles). Is that intentional? Because the headpiece doesn't move with it.

Edited by Jamescell
7 hours ago, Jamescell said:

The helmet seems too big in game. I know it's supposed to be big vertically and all, but it still seems TOO big. Is it the same scale as was intended?

Also, the attachment dock for the Mortos thing seems to have physics effects (it wiggles). Is that intentional? Because the headpiece doesn't move with it.

Yes the wiggle part took me by surprise. It seems strange and out of character,  I would have liked more parts on the helm to move too to tie it together, but for me this helmet have a very hard-scifi feel to it, and soft parts was not something I expected.

12 hours ago, Jamescell said:

The helmet does look to big in game. If it was overall smaller it would look better. I feel most of the steam workshop helmets seem to have this problem. But for some reason I thought helmets cost the same as the weapon skins which was high. Paying 6.37 for one helmet is pretty ridiculous anyways. If DE allows whole frame skins (like the up coming banshee) then what are they going to cost 10...20 dollars hehe. 

Omgossshhh Cobalt your Nekros is GORGEOUS

There were some problems with this helmet, actually! The body tendrils are meant to be there, and the wiggling arm on the back is the attachment point for the Mortos so I'm not sure why it's wiggly (I suspect my love of infested has somehow sub-consciously made its way into the spirit of this helmet and it's now HAUNTED) but I've already spoken to DE about it and they're going to be fixing these problems!

As for it being too... big? I actually see it as a little on the small side myself. Sorry, gotta disagree with you there!

3 hours ago, blazingcobalt said:

Just gonna drop this here<3

5YDiOXb.png

Yup I admit that's a good looking nekros...but I still think the helmet could be just a little smaller.

1 hour ago, Syncrasis said:

Omgossshhh Cobalt your Nekros is GORGEOUS

There were some problems with this helmet, actually! The body tendrils are meant to be there, and the wiggling arm on the back is the attachment point for the Mortos so I'm not sure why it's wiggly (I suspect my love of infested has somehow sub-consciously made its way into the spirit of this helmet and it's now HAUNTED) but I've already spoken to DE about it and they're going to be fixing these problems!

As for it being too... big? I actually see it as a little on the small side myself. Sorry, gotta disagree with you there!

Not big enough...any bigger and nekros will be dragging his head around wherever he goes hehe. I will look at it in game again but I need to be sure I like it enough if I'm going to justify spending 6.37 on it.

Just now, RoninJed said:

Yup I admit that's a good looking nekros...but I still think the helmet could be just a little smaller.

Not big enough...any bigger and nekros will be dragging his head around wherever he goes hehe. I will look at it in game again but I need to be sure I like it enough if I'm going to justify spending 6.37 on it.

Absolutely true for anything you plan to buy in the game. Honestly I think the size comes down to taste for this one. It's very tall, which it's meant to be, but the details are also quite tight and the "face" area is pretty small in 3D space. You might not get that impression from images though!