The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Prime Viable?

ShieldMaMeat

Question

So im a new player (about 2 weeks) and got Excal, Oberon, Nyx prime and nyx. Im looking into Volt because im a electrician irl and like the whole electrical aspect of the frame naturally. Wondering how viable the frame is before i dish out plat to buy him in trade. I hear his 4 is pretty much mute in terms of usability. Also a build to go by would be pretty good. Also mostly looking to do some void T2-T4 and maybe solo some planet stuff or capture voids. Just want a overview of the frame basically. 

12 answers to this question

He has decent Crowd Control with his Shock and Overload since they proc electricity which is a small AOE stun effect. He can be very mobile with his Speed and his Shield can protect both himself and an important objective, the shield can also add 50% damage as electric damage and firing through multiple shields adds more damage to your rounds.

Overall he is a decent Warframe but not that great for high level unless you like camping in one spot and using only your ranged weapons since his damage abilities (Shock and Overload) are not powerfull enough to deal with high level enemies not to mention that he practically has 0 crowd control against Infested once Ancient Healers spawn since all electric procs will be redirected to the Ancient Healer.

If you want more information you should check the Warframe wiki.

He can survive pretty easily. Really depends how you mod him.

You can go with more duration for his electric shield, gives you pretty nice damage and if you have a crit weapon (Soma/Prime) it will make it hit a lot harder.

Or you can go power strength to help out with his 1st ability to take out those trash mobs or use range for CC against higher lvl'd enemies, either in the Void or Starchart. Power strength for his 2nd ability for speed runs on capture missions is pretty nice too.

I build him for mostly duration and some range and a slight bit of power strength.

Yes, his 4 power is in desperate need of some love, but he's still viable. But before you buy him, why don't you just build a regular volt and play him before you commit? You'll get a feel for the frame, level up another frame for MR XP, and be able to make the call yourself as to whether you want to buy him immediately or just farm him as he comes. The fact that his BP are all in the dojo means you don't have to rely on RNG to get everything.

-His 1st skill does so-so damage but it can stun multiple enemies in a single cast, which makes it a very cheap and spammable CC ability (possibly one of the best 1st abilities there is).

-His 2nd skill is pretty straightforward: a speed boost that makes it easy to get from point A to point B relatively quickly, great for speedrunning or reaching a downed ally halfway across the map.

-His 3rd skill, while it does require better placement than snowglobe since it only blocks attacks from one direction, is still a very potent defensive ability since it's indestructible, provides bonus electrical and crit damage, and is still relatively low in terms of energy cost.

-His 4th skill is definitely a pretty lackluster radial nuke type ultimate. The damage and CC it provides aren't terribly impressive, but I guess in some situations it can save your hide. Either way, if you're playing Volt it likely isn't for this ability.

Overall I think "fun" is the best word to describe Volt. He isn't broken powerful and doesn't have any skills that can perma-stun an entire map indefinitely, but he's incredibly versatile and can provide equal parts damage, CC, and support for his teammates, albeit without an incredibly strong focus on any particular one. Basically, he can be viable in just about any situation, but it will require a bit more skill/effort than with a specialized frame.

He's one of my personal favorites, and I strongly recommend at least giving him a shot.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Once Volt is fully ranked at level 30, his Shock (skill 1) and Overload (skill 4) stop being effective fairly quickly if you're not using a build with corrupted mods (more on those later).

The way I see most people use him these days is for Speed (skill 2) and Electric Shield (skill 3).

Speed makes you and your teammates run a heck of a lot faster and you can swing your melee weapon faster too. Most people use it to either run circles around enemies to avoid their shots while killing them, or to rush straight for the exit after the mission objective has been completed.

Electric Shield blocks enemy weapon damage coming in, and boosts player weapon damage going out, while also making any projectiles fired by players' guns into hitscan, meaning the shot's impact point is instantly calculated without spawning a physical object for the projectile.

Now, Shock and Overload can be a bit more helpful if you use a "corrupted build". This means Volt's mod loadout will include Corrupted Mods*, which can only be gained from Orokin Vaults on Derelict missions**.

With the right corrupted mods combined with some of the regular ability-upgrade mods, you can increase Volt's damage and efficiency so he can use Shock and Overload more effectively, but I will admit that even that still won't get you very far past level 35 enemies.

So even with all this in mind for upgrading Shock and Overload, most people still find Speed and Electric Shield more useful at higher mission levels. Still, it's fun to keep an offensive build for clearing rooms of lower-level enemies in the earlier missions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Corrupted Mods have a larger positive effect on one attribute of your abilities, but they also have a negative impact on a different aspect of your abilities. For example, the corrupted mod Fleeting Expertise might greatly increase Power Efficiency more than Streamline does, but it will take away some Power Duration to compensate for the more powerful nature of the mod.

** To do Derelict Missions and open the Orokin Vaults in them, you'll need a few blueprints for Derelict Keys and Dragon Keys in the Market. You build the Derelict Key for the mission type you want (usually Exterminate if you're looking for an Orokin Vault), then you build one of four different Dragon Keys to put into one of your Gear slots. Each one has a negative effect while you carry it, but you can only carry one in your Gear at a time. You won't know which Dragon Key you'll need for the vault, so your best bet to maximize your chances of opening one is to bring a full squad, each member with a different Dragon Key equipped in Gear.

Edited by NeoRetro10K

If you want to build regular volt (not a bad idea anyway, since a frame and it's primed version count separately for Mastery Rank) try asking to join a clan that has him researched in recruiting. I'd offer, but at this point I only have him partway researched (for the helmet).

The biggest noticeable difference between normal and prime is the energy pool.

Speed Boost has a fun mod that causes electric damage to anything you touch from the Syndicates.

And the shield will block ALMOST anything - big thing is it doesn't block bombard missiles.

Edited by Rajani_Isa

Well tbh building reg volt is def a option but I got volt primes Helm and Systems so I only need 2 more parts to make him. From what im gathering here is that he's used for his speed and shield. Does this make him a kind of sub par Frost? I see frosts everywhere using their globe to block all incoming ranged attacks while freezing enemies that come in it. Would Volt basically be used like you'd use frost but volts shields won't freeze enemies that come through it? Can they even come through it? 

Separate thoughts on Mag/prime and ember/prime would be appreciated. Although I was looking for a male frame to play because I'm male and I always play male toons in games. idk just a thing I do i guess.