The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elemental Damage Or Physical Damage?

xNikeee

Question

Hello, everybody,

I would like to ask you, which damage type should I be interested in more, if physical ( impact, puncture, slash) or elemental damages. I did some calculations by warframe.wikia.com and I found out that you can use more elemental damages than you would ever think of, but the problem is that I don't know how to try it out and those numbers are just overally. I was counting also with -%, so listen.

Elemental damages against Grineer are:

Cold +25%

Heat +25%

Blast +50%

Viral +50%

Corrosive +75%

Radiation +75%

Elemental damages against Corpus are:

Toxin +25%

Cold +50%

Electricity +50%

Viral +50%

Magnetic +150%

Elemental damages against Infested are:

Heat +75%

Corrosive +75%

Gas +125%

Those numbers were taken from warframe.wikia.com and there are also -% in it and it is taken overally. The real question is, which damage type should we use, physical or elemental? I've asked few experienced players, so few gaming videos and everybody had different opinion, somebody prefers just one elemental damage ( 1 or 2 together ), somebody prefers 2 elemental damages ( 2 and 2 )

And why have I created this topic? Because I would like to help You, Tennos, to find out how we can maximaze our damage to the maximum. There is also other factors like more Slash damage than Impact/Puncture damage in weapon ( example: Orthos P ), so it's logically that you will use Orthos P more for Infested than for Corpus/Grineer. So I would like to ask you, what do you think of it, do you want to help me with it or if somebody have done this before me, tell me your experiences.

Thanks for reading this post.

See You, Tennos and Happy Holidays,

Best regards Wenom

10 answers to this question

Unless you're doing a sortie mission where enemies have "elemental resistance"  (ie immunity), use elementals.  Every build should also use +base damage mods (serration, point blank, hornet strike, pressure point), and multishot if available.  The reason here is that elementals stack on a different pile than physical damage mods.  An elemental mod that gives +90% really is nearly double your total damage output.  Using 2 elemental mods, really is nearly triple your total damage output.

Rare exception is weapons that are HEAVILY biased toward one specific damage type, and can get decent effects out of the (rare, event-reward) physical damage mods.  For example if you are using Dread (90% bias toward slash damage) and want to put a Fanged Fusillade (+120% slash damage) on there, nobody will laugh at you.  But most weapons don't encourage this.  And just forget the common physical damage mods like Sawtooth Clip, they are literally the worst thing.

Edited by Momaw

One way to maximize damage for all weapons and enemies can't be done.

Once you know enemy weak points you can examinate crit weapons versus elemental weapons versus proc weapons.

And after numbers are done, look another time for weapon mechanics.

Its not the same Opticor, rakta cernos, Tonkor, kulstar, átomos, lex prime, synoid simulor...

And soo and soo...

Unless you're doing a sortie mission where enemies have "elemental resistance"  (ie immunity), use elementals.  Every build should also use +base damage mods (serration, point blank, hornet strike, pressure point), and multishot if available.  The reason here is that elementals stack on a different pile than physical damage mods.  An elemental mod that gives +90% really is nearly double your total damage output.  Using 2 elemental mods, really is nearly triple your total damage output.

Rare exception is weapons that are HEAVILY biased toward one specific damage type, and can get decent effects out of the (rare, event-reward) physical damage mods.  For example if you are using Dread (90% bias toward slash damage) and want to put a Fanged Fusillade (+120% slash damage) on there, nobody will laugh at you.  But most weapons don't encourage this.  And just forget the common physical damage mods like Sawtooth Clip, they are literally the worst thing.

So which elemental damages would you use against which faction?

So which elemental damages would you use against which faction?

Radiation+Viral against Grineer with Alloy Armour (Napalms, Bombards, Elite Lancers)

Corrosive+Fire/Cold against pretty much every other Grineer unit and infested (works better than Rad+Viral against armoured enemies when used on high status weapon).

Magnetic+Toxin against Corpus (pure toxin works just as well).

Corrosive+Fire for max damage output against infested, radiation and viral work just fine against infested when used on high status weapon (disables their auras).

Corrosive+Cold is pretty much the go-to against Void, as it has bonuses against pretty much all kinds of health and armour types seen there (though Corrosive+Heat might be better in T1 and T2).

Edited by Mofixil

Radiation+Viral against Grineer with Alloy Armour (Napalms, Bombards, Elite Lancers)

Corrosive+Fire/Cold against pretty much every other Grineer unit and infested (works better than Rad+Viral against armoured enemies when used on high status weapon).

Magnetic+Toxin against Corpus (pure toxin works just as well).

Corrosive+Fire for max damage output against infested, radiation and viral work just fine against infested when used on high status weapon (disables their auras).

Corrosive+Cold is pretty much the go-to against Void, as it has bonuses against pretty much all kinds of health and armour types seen there (though Corrosive+Heat might be better in T1 and T2).

So I've tried 2 theories that I had. Elemental damage works better than physical and now I also know how to put out the best damage against each faction. That's cool. Thanks for helping me with it.

Elemental is almost always better, plus the mods add more damage than physical damage mods.

Grineer-Radiation viral (puncture for armor or slash for skin)

Corpus-Magnetic toxin (impact for shields and robots)

Infested-Corrosive heat or corrosive slash (heat for the little guys but slash does that job for all infested)

Corrupted-Corrosive cold (puncture for armor)

Elemental is almost always better, plus the mods add more damage than physical damage mods.

Grineer-Radiation viral (puncture for armor or slash for skin)

Corrupted-Corrosive cold (puncture for armor)

The list from Boxman here is the generally accepted simple break down.  However, especially with Grineer and in the void, it leaves a little to be desired.

So think of it as a question of what enemy units do I NEED to kill immediately and without delay or else I end up dead.  All the little chaff don't need bonuses to kill. 

Priority target #1a is Heavy Gunners.  These have ferrite armor and you benefit greatly from having corrosive damage.

Priority target #1b is Bombards (and napalms on star chart).  These have alloy armor and the benefit is with radiation.

You are wise to put one of these elements on your primary and the other on your secondary.  I've seen so many players struggle to put down a bombard on wave 30+ of a defense with their all corrosive weapons.  A shot to the face with a radiation based Lex prime solves that problem in one bullet.