The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Soma Prime Still One Of The Best Primary Weapons?

xtom9

Question

After coming back to Warframe from a deep hibernation of 7 months, a lot of new guns have been added (obviously) and I was still wondering if the Soma Prime is still considered the best primary weapon? I have heard a lot of people talking about the Tonkor, but I am not quite sure if it beats the Soma Prime overall.

11 answers to this question

There are so many ways you can kill your enemies nowadays, to the point that the idea of "one gun to rule them all" is starting to become meaningless.

There is a large variety of new endgame-tier weapons: shotguns are now good, all syndicate weapons but...

I feel like warframe has become alot more of a synergy game lately, which i like.

Yes, the tonkor is very good, but tonkor is also zephyr's best friend while in "glitch" strength build. I feel like in the future we will see more warframes acquiring very interesting warframe+gun duos worth exploring.

Soma P has never been one of the best primary weapons. Slow reload, very low ammo efficiency, bad status effect.

Yes soma p for new players, but confirmed players don't use it.

Just for the record, status is a non-issue for supposedly pure dps guns. Reload can be rushed to circa 3/5, leaving ammo efficiency as the only issue. Somap HAS been the best rifle out there for some time, let's say, during the time nova prime access was available. Afterwards, somap and boltorp became outclassed by more diverse weapons when it comes to the ability to apply damage to a given area quickly, so you don't see them as often.

Soma P has never been one of the best primary weapons. Slow reload, very low ammo efficiency, bad status effect.

I'd agree with you on status chance, but while it's reload time is supposedly 3 seconds, if you know what you're doing (look at the wikia article on the Soma Prime) you can cut it down a considerable amount. Ammo efficiency is bad if you only ever shoot centers mass, and even worse if you use Heavy Cariber. Its insane Crit multiplier will make headshots increase ammo efficiency quite a bit, and ammo mutations always help a lot.

+1 to that. soma P is great at low levels 1-30. but experinced players do not use it. its damage even with 8.6x or 11.2 crit is still trash when vrs anything over level 50.

My Soma Prime can kill level 70 or more enemies in a reasonable amount of time, and it's not even formated. Problem being, it runs out of ammo after barely five minutes of prolonged firefight. So no, it's not a very effective gun, but if you horde up on ammo restores it's still in a good position, I've seen far worse (*cough*Gorgon*).

Soma P is highly underrated... not that I use it much either (lol) but it can hold it's own with like 3-5 Forma.... and the right build. Anyone doubting it can try a pure crit build (Point Strike, Vital Sense, Hammer Shot) along with the usual mods (Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber), then add a viral proc to it and even though it has small numbers showing, between the 8.7x crit multiplier, high crit chance and decent status chance that cuts their health in half every time it procs, you can still easily take it through "late game" or Sortie mission and I actually just recently have when one called specifically for a Assault Rifle only loadout. The average enemy was dying in 3-5 bullets which does not take long to pop off on the Soma P, and with a 200 round magazine there is plenty of kill potential. 

Edited by (XB1)Xodus03

Soma Prime was one of the best Automatic Weapons on the game, but definitely not one of the best weapons in the game.

It's quite simple, and it all resides in the fact it's an automatic weapon. It has horrible dmg/shot ratio, making it one of the worst ammo efficient weapons in the game.

In fact, Prisma Grakata outclasses it in terms of Burst Damage and Ammo Count, making it better than the Soma against Grineer due to Status Chance.

Of course, nowadays and I would say always, the Best Weapons in the game are the ones that do insane amounts of damage in a single round, be it the Rakta Cernos or Dread, Tonkor or Synoid Simulor, or Opticor, Lanka and Rubico. Even Sybaris and Tiberon perform better at high levels than the Soma Prime.

Yes.

Anyone who says different doesn't know what they're talking about.

Like all weapons, it has advantages and disadvantages. You accentuate the former and work around the latter. If you can't, then you whine and claim sour grapes.