Nekros Helmet For Tennogen wip "Jackal".

On 2016-4-15 at 0:53 AM, (PS4)jFresh215 said:

The idea is rather simple i guess. A tenno basically chops of the arm of an infested ancient and wears it as a syandana. Their arms look like they would make great scarves imo. I know there would be a little more work that went into it other than just roughly putting an ancient arm on a WF but you could take the part from the pic scale it down and clean it up a bit of coarse.

Jz9KLFv.png

That actually is a cool idea. 

I have had the idea of a Hunter-series for a while now. Like hanging the head of stalker on your belt, the crewman-helm as a shoulder-guard, that sort of thing.

This idea is kind of like that.

If I don't do this,  someone should. Then again, there's a first time for everything so I might just do this.

And when we can do full armor-sets we can dress up as a full infested ;)

3 hours ago, arch111 said:

That actually is a cool idea. 

I have had the idea of a Hunter-series for a while now. Like hanging the head of stalker on your belt, the crewman-helm as a shoulder-guard, that sort of thing.

This idea is kind of like that.

If I don't do this,  someone should. Then again, there's a first time for everything so I might just do this.

And when we can do full armor-sets we can dress up as a full infested ;)

Was planning on making a Ancient inspired syandana in the future, honestly that backpiece is just waiting to be worn.

• 3 months later...

I am actually still working on completing this. Life and stuff got in the way.

Anyway, I am keeping most things I have since before but there will be some sculpted additions that are not present now.

I just did a new render to remind myself and anyone else who thinks Nekros could wear a Jackal-helmet, what it looks like.

nekros_hq_by_gaber111-dacpn6a.jpg

41 minutes ago, Ar0ndight said:

This is absolutely beautiful. Nekros would be a better Egyptian god than Inaros will ever be.

That's what I thought, then Inaros was released, with the Anubis helmet.  That made me stop and question if I should even finish it.

It was a missed oppotunity to not use one of the most famous Death Gods with the necromancer, but hey what's done is done. 

I hope people,  including the good folks at DE, will like what I have done when it's completed. Not so much left now.

3 hours ago, arch111 said:

Anyway, I am keeping most things I have since before but there will be some sculpted additions that are not present now.

I just did a new render to remind myself and anyone else who thinks Nekros could wear a Jackal-helmet, what it looks like.

its so beautiful, i still await the day i can have it  

tumblr_myoz2ebScd1t506oso1_500.gif

7 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

its so beautiful, i still await the day i can have it  

tumblr_myoz2ebScd1t506oso1_500.gif

You flatter me Mako :) but I am happy that some like it. That means I'm doing something right.

4 hours ago, arch111 said:

The design has come a long way. One of the stylistic differences I've noticed between this sculpt and most tenno things in warframe is wrinkly-ness. There are a lot of areas on this helmet that seem very wrinkly compared to most warframe models and content like the bacon-strips on either side of the head that connect to the chest ropes. The problem with wrinkly-ness is that most warframe designs (specifically helmets) are very dynamic, bold, and/or simple (mag, excal, ash, atlas, rhino, zephyr, ember, etc etc. Wrinkles are sort of the opposite of bold and dynamic.

To better distinguish the two, most warframe hlmets look like they could be made of plastic, whereas this helmet looks more convincingly organic. (Saggy skin). Now, even though there is already a jackal helmet, and the styling (wrinkles) could use some work, I think you could easily turn this into an very cool acceptable helmet. This is what I suggest you work towards.

1KKh8Pi.pngOr this. Idk just suggestions for if you want to still get this in game.

t6NJ3sZ.png

Edited by Jamescell

Still looking forward to seeing this finished!

Jamescell makes a good point about the "wrinkled" look. If you're using anything other than the Basic Material, some of them really exaggerate the issue (IE Matcap Pearl Cavity). Something to keep in mind is how purposeful all the marks and volumes on Warframes appear, which is why you don't generally get a "wrinkled" feeling from them... Instead, you have continuous, full forms that have creases between them, which define one solid surface ending and the next beginning. You end up with a lot of convex surfaces that pick up light in a softer way, letting the highlights define a flow and create volume, rather than speckle a broken surface. I hope that makes sense, lol. You might do well to try out the hPolish brush, make sure to hold down alt to have it pull forms up instead of push edges down wherever appropriate. Shortcut keys are B H. Pick out some movement-defining creases to keep, and round off the high areas between them. 

Also: I love the ears, I think they create a far more interesting silhouette than without. Sorry Jamescell lol

Oh and: They're not likely to rig the pieces that connect to the tendrils, so honestly the shorter the better there. They'll just be hard stumps.

Whether you decide to let the Inaros helmet get you down enough to not post this on Steam or not is up to you, but you should really push through and finish this up anyway. It's a great piece and I can tell you've learned a lot in the process of creating it. You still have a lot of technical steps to learn after this. It might even be worth it to just stop yourself from modeling more on the high poly and start on the retopo. 

Do eeet :D

Hmm yeah, wrinkles and volume going all over the place is what usually happens and then I smoot and flatten after. 

I will definitely do that before the end.

The tendrils end below the head though, if I make the helmets "cloth" shorter, won't the tendrils end in the air?

Of course I can tell DE to remove them when using the helmet.  Then again @Syncrasis you made this work well.

43 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Hmm yeah, wrinkles and volume going all over the place is what usually happens and then I smoot and flatten after. 

I will definitely do that before the end.

The tendrils end below the head though, if I make the helmets "cloth" shorter, won't the tendrils end in the air?

Of course I can tell DE to remove them when using the helmet.  Then again @Syncrasis you made this work well.

What I ended up doing for mine was filling in the empty spot on the tendrils, instead of trying to encase the entire ends. The stumps still stick out a bit during animation but it's tolerable. Dunno if that's the best way or not, but having the stumps smaller in general means they might draw less attention to themselves haha.

13 minutes ago, Syncrasis said:

What I ended up doing for mine was filling in the empty spot on the tendrils, instead of trying to encase the entire ends. The stumps still stick out a bit during animation but it's tolerable. Dunno if that's the best way or not, but having the stumps smaller in general means they might draw less attention to themselves haha.

Aha. Hmm, that is a way I guess :p i do have an idea to maje the ends more techy and connecting with wires to be a kind of tendril extention into the head. 

But I havent descided yet.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SAYMYNAMELOUDLY said:

what program do you use to develop these helmets ?

2 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

i think zbrush? 

Yeah Zbrush is a great tool, I allways end up there in the end.

But the one I allways begin in is Sculptris, a free small program that Pixologic bought before it could become a threat.

It's so fast and forgiving, and since its free can be used together with Blender or other freeware.

i tried it and it was pretty easy to use 

i also played with polybrush and some others and im just not sure how to import things from one into the other -. -;  

and if your on a tablet, 123d is pretty fun to play with 

Spoiler

My horrid first attempt at a helm design 

Cpx7mKsUAAE5w3w.jpg:large

2 hours ago, arch111 said:

Yeah Zbrush is a great tool, I allways end up there in the end.

But the one I allways begin in is Sculptris, a free small program that Pixologic bought before it could become a threat.

It's so fast and forgiving, and since its free can be used together with Blender or other freeware.

3 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

i tried it and it was pretty easy to use 

i also played with polybrush and some others and im just not sure how to import things from one into the other -. -;  

and if your on a tablet, 123d is pretty fun to play with 

Hide contents

My horrid first attempt at a helm design 

Cpx7mKsUAAE5w3w.jpg:large

That's not a bad first go :)

Now I am streamlining it and taking Syncrasis advice on shortening the tendril-connectors.

It's actually better to only keep the tendrils in the back,  and dividing the helmet in clear sections.

The tintmask pose as many options as the model and I am seriously weighting metal vs normal materials now.