Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

5 Reasons Why Polarize Shield Must Be Removed

MetaMortred

Polarize Shield, is a Mag skill in which it drains enemies shields, partially. I believe it has to go because:

1. Ineffective:

Polarize Shield only drains a little bit of shield, bosses can recover that amount why you recharge your animation, and comandos shields is drained much faster with the most basic of pistols. there is no point in spending 50 energy to cast it.

2. Inefficient:

A power this weak costs 50 energy, which is seriously underpowered, if we lower that then it will become overpowered since player can spam on a single coop player and immortalize him temporarily. Hence it cannot be fixed by that alone.

3. Devs Hate it:

Have you seen the Mag video? they dont even mention Polarize shield, it is clear that the devs themselves know its nothing that grand, I believe that even in the begining devs created this power only as a placeholder for something grand. Since in essence does nothing at all.

4. Trinity:

Mag can play both roles of support and offense, however she is not meant to be a healer, her powers enable others to perform better, like Bullet Attractor that enables others to have a higher accuracy. She should have a different power alltogher. Also, Trinity has a power that can compensate shield regeneration, so there is no point in two characters doing the same thing - eventhough one of them (trinity) does it far better and more effective.

5. Bullet Attractor:

Bullet Attractor is a very useful skill that is not worth 75 energy. and the power is not advance enough to be a third power, hence demoting Bullet Attractor to second power will enable it to replace Polarize Shield. and we can have a totally new power for our 3rd skill. You can see a list of ideas here: MAG Feedback and Suggestions (Power Overhaul - Save Mag) - Warframe & Weapon Feedback - Warframe Forums

6. Save it for ICE/FROST Warframe:

Icy locations drains shields right? and since ice is an elemental damage, I can see it becoming a warframe sometime in the future. Hence I suggest leaving the shield draining to him/her - and give mag something awesome to work with like Magnetize in here: MAG Feedback and Suggestions (Power Overhaul - Save Mag) - Warframe & Weapon Feedback - Warframe Forums

You have more reasons, share - this power must be replaced with something more awesome :)

Edited by TheNexusCloud

Instead of lowering it's power requirement, how about just causing it to drain all of the shields, and preventing them from recharging for a couple of seconds? That would balance it out I think.

Or with first power unlock, make it drain ½ of the shields with 3 seconds of no recharge, on first boost 2/3rds with 4 seconds of no recharge and with second boost all of the shields with 5 seconds of no recharge.

However, I do agree with it needing some balancing, but that should happen simetime soon since Steve confirmed it.

Edited by Nirrti

I agree about it being being bad, and its funny they never mentioned that skill in the dev video. I havnt been able to use it effectively on other players either because its hard to tell how much shields they have left unless you are really paying very close attention to them. Most people run to cover or flee to recharge their shields anyways, so there typically isnt a need for an instant shield recharge. There must be something they could do with it to salvage it though, but id rather have different kind of ability anyways.

I agree about it being being bad, and its funny they never mentioned that skill in the dev video. I havnt been able to use it effectively on other players either because its hard to tell how much shields they have left unless you are really paying very close attention to them. Most people run to cover or flee to recharge their shields anyways, so there typically isnt a need for an instant shield recharge. There must be something they could do with it to salvage it though, but id rather have different kind of ability anyways.

But it will be a very beneficial ability for buffer shield tanks so they won't need to wait for it to recharge, or could use those mod bonuses elsewhere.

Aside from the general targetting issues this game has the only thing the missing is the ability to target yourself.

I'd comment more but I have no idea how the skills work aside from their description and DE's current uninformative attitude towards in-game mechanics.

Edited by FirstToLast

Devs don't hate it, even a bit. There are balances in the queue.

I know you dont :P the point of it was to get your attention. and Im happy that it worked and that you got to read it. Even though you dont do anything about it, i feel so much lighter knowing that you now understand my idea on this. There are 4 main reasons - actually 3 if you combine 1 and 2 together, ignore 3 and use 4 and 6.

I really believe - strongly that Polarize Shield is not meant for mag. You said that Ice is one main element that damages shields, maybe you can save Polarize Shield for your future Warframe that might use ICE as its elemntal damage? . . . wait that sounded too good. Im adding it as 6 :P

ow and btw. Good Morning :) Say hi to Rebbeca, Jiero and Heisenberg for me ;)

Instead of lowering it's power requirement, how about just causing it to drain all of the shields, and preventing them from recharging for a couple of seconds? That would balance it out I think.

Or with first power unlock, make it drain ½ of the shields with 3 seconds of no recharge, on first boost 2/3rds with 4 seconds of no recharge and with second boost all of the shields with 5 seconds of no recharge.

However, I do agree with it needing some balancing, but that should happen simetime soon since Steve confirmed it.

Wow, you and I think alike: MAG Feedback and Suggestions (Power Overhaul - Save Mag) - Warframe & Weapon Feedback - Warframe Forums

That was my initial thought too, but I think its time for it to go to another warframe, perhaps a new one? someone whom specialized in Shields, like ICE as added in the thread.

Edited by TheNexusCloud

I really believe - strongly that Polarize Shield is not meant for mag. You said that Ice is one main element that damages shields, maybe you can save Polarize Shield for your future Warframe that might use ICE as its elemntal damage? . . . wait that sounded too good. Im adding it as 6 :P

Thats a good point. Maybe thats why the shield draining portion of it is so weak already, because they already have a strong shield drain on the ice one(speculation). So rather then mag getting a strong shield drain too, it gets a weak shield drain+shield boost. Although it didnt really work out that well.

Edited by Kilikaji

I know you dont :P the point of it was to get your attention. and Im happy that it worked and that you got to read it. Even though you dont do anything about it, i feel so much lighter knowing that you now understand my idea on this. There are 4 main reasons - actually 3 if you combine 1 and 2 together, ignore 3 and use 4 and 6.

ow and btw. Good Morning :) Say hi to Rebbeca, Jiero and Heisenberg for me ;)

Wow, you and I think alike: MAG Feedback and Suggestions (Power Overhaul - Save Mag) - Warframe & Weapon Feedback - Warframe Forums

That was my initial thought too, but I think its time for it to go to another warframe, perhaps a new one? someone whom specialized in Shields, like ICE as added in the thread.

Possibly. Maybe a Warframe that's specialized in espionage and sabotage? Having skills like the shield polarize, possibly some sort of x-ray view (or sort of like a sonar pulse that highlights enemies for few seconds through walls/obstacles for all of the players as it expands (sort of like how you can see other players through walls)), brainwash/reprogram/confuse (which would cause a single enemy (no bosses obviously) to attack enemies for a predefined duration), and some sort of AoE stun.

Alternatively, going by the ice theme, some sort of ice slide thing as the first skill (allowing players to place/conjure a circle/rectangle of ice which would allow sliding on better/faster, boosts both increase range on which you can place it, and size), defensive wall of ice as the second skill (either chest high or character high, dissolves after preset duration, increases duration with boosts), shield polarize (with the aforementioned drainage upgrades), and AoE freeze as fourth(with boosts increasing duration and range, obviously).

Anyway, I'm going way too offtopic.

Edited by Nirrti

I feel polarize would easily become more useful offensively if it was made to drain a shield entirely, then stop shield regen for several seconds.

One of my friends has also saved my life several times with it by boosting my shield when I was in a bad situation and about to die. (It's just really hard to tell how in danger someone is unless you're using voice chat or something for quick communication.)

As far as Bullet Attractor goes. It draws in the enemy projectiles too. Including the enemy you use the ability on.

We've used it to make bosses like Hek drain their own shields and damage themselves for us, all while not being able to hurt us at all.

I feel polarize would easily become more useful offensively if it was made to drain a shield entirely, then stop shield regen for several seconds.

One of my friends has also saved my life several times with it by boosting my shield when I was in a bad situation and about to die. (It's just really hard to tell how in danger someone is unless you're using voice chat or something for quick communication.)

As far as Bullet Attractor goes. It draws in the enemy projectiles too. Including the enemy you use the ability on.

We've used it to make bosses like Hek drain their own shields and damage themselves for us, all while not being able to hurt us at all.

Check what I've already said earlier in this thread and what TheNexusCloud says in the other thread about the shield draining completely :D

Oh whoops, sorry. I seem to have missed that.

Its good. Maybe repetition will make them see it more and know that more players want the same thing. That is what changes things.

On another note. I know that this way can make Polarize Shield useful. But I think polarize shield should be a specialty for another frame, not this frame :D as our friend suggested in the quote below - a frame that is specialized in espionage and sabotage. Rather than a goddess like Mag.

Possibly. Maybe a Warframe that's specialized in espionage and sabotage? Having skills like the shield polarize, possibly some sort of x-ray view (or sort of like a sonar pulse that highlights enemies for few seconds through walls/obstacles for all of the players as it expands (sort of like how you can see other players through walls)), brainwash/reprogram/confuse (which would cause a single enemy (no bosses obviously) to attack enemies for a predefined duration), and some sort of AoE stun.

Alternatively, going by the ice theme, some sort of ice slide thing as the first skill (allowing players to place/conjure a circle/rectangle of ice which would allow sliding on better/faster, boosts both increase range on which you can place it, and size), defensive wall of ice as the second skill (either chest high or character high, dissolves after preset duration, increases duration with boosts), shield polarize (with the aforementioned drainage upgrades), and AoE freeze as fourth(with boosts increasing duration and range, obviously).

Anyway, I'm going way too offtopic.

Guest Shinogu

I think Polarize shield should maybe be change to a shield destroyer: Such as having an a foe shield non functional for a set time. I like Mag last skill 4 move but her play style isn't what I though it would be.

I thought she would have an ability to magnetise space around her to reflect bullets....not just have bullets reflect on one person if the decided to shoot . Though that is cool too.

Edited by Shinogu

Rather than making Mag less of a support, like you suggest, I think they should go the opposite route and make them more viable as support. As I posted in another thread the current Warframes can pretty well line up with the longstanding common RPG archetypes of Fighter(Excalibur, Rhino), Rogue(Loki, Ash), Mage(Volt, Ember), and Cleric(Trinity, Mag), and any changes should further emphasize these ideas before they start adding new Warframes of each type/hybrids.

I do not want to see Polarize Shield removed, I want it to work better than it does currently.

Rather than making Mag less of a support, like you suggest, I think they should go the opposite route and make them more viable as support. As I posted in another thread the current Warframes can pretty well line up with the longstanding common RPG archetypes of Fighter(Excalibur, Rhino), Rogue(Loki, Ash), Mage(Volt, Ember), and Cleric(Trinity, Mag), and any changes should further emphasize these ideas before they start adding new Warframes of each type/hybrids.

I do not want to see Polarize Shield removed, I want it to work better than it does currently.

My gripe with it is conceptually. If you wanna concentrate that frost kills shield, then give this power to a frame that sepcialized in frost. Magnetics can distrupt shields but they are a gample, it might even supercharge them. depending on many things. it wont make sense here. for Mag at least.

Also something on the frames - you cant just generalize like that. This is my thoughts.

Excalibur --> Melee Warrior

Rhino ---> Tank Warrior

Volt ---> Long Ranged Caster

Ember --> Short Ranged Caster

Trinity ---> Healer

Mag ---> Enabler Support

The powers I suggested here: MAG Feedback and Suggestions (Power Overhaul - Save Mag) - Warframe & Weapon Feedback - Warframe Forums

are not damage dealing, but enabling others to do better.