Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Melee, Pistol, And Rifle For Excalibur

Pertransient

I'm new to warframe and I would like some weapons to work towards.  I have looked on the wiki and at the statistics but statistics do not always play out the way you would like with actual use.  I would like to elicit the help of some experienced players.  What do you think the best weapon fit for the Excalibur war-frame is?  I understand that some of this may be opinion and that some may depend on play-style, but any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you!

primary: latron

all others: does not matter

latron 1 shots all enemies except tower 3 once upgraded and potatoed, if you forma it over and over even tower 3 is nothing.

Or play around with weapons and find your groove, I like the Braton and the Bows for fun primaries.  The lex is a fun secondary and any non-charged based melee weapon is fun for melee like the Pangolin sword.  the hold to charge mechanic is boring imo, so I like to just ginso swing around.  Also dual zoren are fun for this method as well.

Pure min-maxing though, Latron wins.

primary: Boltor

secondary: Bronco or dual broncos

melee: Gram

This guy is right except for Secondary, Secondary should be either despair or Kunai imo.  Bronco are ok but u need to be up close to get full advantage of them.

Edited by MindlessWar

You should also look at the AKboltos as well for a secondary. They're really nice.

For melee I actually use the ?Fraggor?, I think that's its name. It's the giant hammer lol. I throw 2 or 3 elementals on it with a maxed swing speed mod, max Reach mod, a stun duration mod and a damage mod. Reach actually does affect the range of its aerial attacks knock back effect and also hit the enemies with the elementals attached to it. Really good for when you need some breathing room or a chance to regroup.

Edited by Gravalite

primary: latron

all others: does not matter

latron 1 shots all enemies except tower 3 once upgraded and potatoed, if you forma it over and over even tower 3 is nothing.

Or play around with weapons and find your groove, I like the Braton and the Bows for fun primaries.  The lex is a fun secondary and any non-charged based melee weapon is fun for melee like the Pangolin sword.  the hold to charge mechanic is boring imo, so I like to just ginso swing around.  Also dual zoren are fun for this method as well.

Pure min-maxing though, Latron wins.

Latron prime is good no doubt, but Bolter still good because of its Innate armor ignore.

This guy is right except for Secondary, Secondary should be either despair or Kunai imo.  Bronco are ok but u need to be up close to get full advantage of them.

i only wrote bronco because they run out of ammo really slow, boltor runs out of ammo kind of fast....

Truth be told its really all about experimenting and finding your favorite weapons which fit your play style so when you get a solid foot in warframe, say a maybe a new frame and a bunch of materials and credits, you can see which ones fit your style and just go from there. That is what i have been doing, i have rhino in the works and akbolto, so it really just goes down to your play style.

For excal use mid-long ranged weapons, even though he has high survivability abilities, he is rather squishy up close at certain levels.

Id suggest Latron/Braton as Primary, and as melee, a quick one and secondary anything that suits you.

My only suggestion from when I played my excal is using a mid/long range primary for better effectiveness.

Note: These reflect my own experiences and opinions, so take with a Mount Everest of salt. My Excalibur was nearly a hundred hours and six Warframes ago. One of the good things about this game is that everyone can find a weapon that just clicks with them. Short of taking an unranked Braton MkI to a Tier III Void misson, there really isn't much of a way to screw yourself over weapons-wise.

Boltor doesn't look that good on paper, but the armor ignore properties are invaluable at higher levels. With a few mods, it's an absolute beast. Just make sure you aim carefully and lead your targets, since the bolts do have travel time. Additionally, you're probably not going to hit very much beyond medium range unless you get lucky.

Hek is good if you like to get in close. Though it is rather pricey for both the blueprints and to craft. You'll also need some mods to bring out its true potential, but the list of things that'll survive getting within ten meters of your grows shorter with each mod. Keep in mind that the pellet spread is a bit tighter than the other shotguns, so you probably won't hit multiple targets.

Latron is my personaly favorite. You really need some damage mods before it starts to shine, but it's a good battle rifle-type long arm. Not quite as hard-hitting as a true sniper rifle, but it has the fire rate and clip size to give you some survivability if you're in a close-range brawl. Nevertheless, your best defense is to make sure the enemy never gets closer than medium-short range.

A good rule to follow is to make sure your side arm complements your long arm. Two long-range weapons won't do your survivability on Infested missions any good, and two short-range weapons can spell quick death against higher-level Corpus and Grineer. To that end:

Bronco and Dual Bronco are esentially the Hek Lite. Brutal amounts of close-range damage, though you will want to watch that clip size. Ammo efficiency is amazing, though. I really can't say much more about these, but a single volley from these things has insta-gibbed my modded Banshee in the dueling ring.

Lex and Kraken are good contenders for the long-range category. Huge amounts of damage per shot (70 and 45*2, respectively) and very good accuracy. However, both do have a fair amount of kick. The Lex is easier to pick up and use and is one of the few guns that isn't terribad unmodded. The Kraken requires a bit of getting used to, with the two-round burst, and really does need a potato or a few Forma, but I personally find it more rewarding. It's also a bit more viable if you're stuck at close-range and fumbling for your other gun, as the recoil doesn't matter as much.

As far as melee goes, there really isn't any right answer. Even less so than when it comes to the long arm and side arm.

Dual Heat Swords are my personal favorite, and very good if you prefer to charge attack. They do enormous amounts of charge damage, second only to the heavy weapons and tied with few others. The ground AOE is a decent "oh crap!" button, but is otherwise rather lackluster. You could concievably use basic attacks if you're cornered, but chances are you're about dead at that point anyway.

Dual Ether Blades seem to be another playerbase favorite. It's got decent attack speed and basic damage, but it's real strengths lie in the innate armor ignore and stagger. It's an Infested-killer, as you might guess from the lore blurb. Triple damage against light, and the ability to stunlock Ancients. If you're the kind to use basic attacks, these are a good one to look into. Just don't confuse them for the Ether Daggers.

Gram and Scindo are good contenders if you want a bit more oomph in your arsenal. Both have the high damage and range you can expect from heavy melee weapons and the ability to hit multiple targets, but still have good-ish speed. The Gram lends more to being a charged weapon, but it is quite the charged weapon. It's also very customizable, if that's your thing. The Scindo can really go either way.

Reaper Prime, though is is hard to obtain and craft, is another strong contender. It has an innate 100% stagger chance, so slap a Fury on that girl and stunlock Ancients. It's lack of armor ignore and fairly mediocre attack damage do hurt it, though. However, DE is looking into that.

Most of Excalibur's skills deal with close-range combat, so you'll want to take advantage of that. In my experience with leveling up Excalibur Prime, even though his armor rating isn't that high, a good offense makes a good defense; Slash Dash is very cheap to use and easily decimates many enemies in a linear path, and it's saved my life a lot of times before. 

If you like to run and gun, face-to-face and up and personal, then I would recommend for the beginning player: 

Primary: Braton, Boltor, Gorgon (and Hek once you've reached that point)

Secondary: Kunai (Despair are stronger yet harder to obtain), but take note that they're probably going to nerf throwing knives. That being said, look into Bronco/Dual Broncos and Dual Vipers. 

Melee: This is purely your preference, whether you like to use heavy/slow weapons to do more damage per swing, with the ability to hit multiple enemies or not. I ran the Bo Staff with my ExcalPrime, and I loved it- it had armor ignore and could hit multiple enemies, yet was not considered a heavy weapon and could be swung quickly. Blueprint is easy to obtain and crafting materials easy to gather. 

I ran this set up, and found it very satisfying to use with a character such as Excalibur. 

It really depends what you are fighting against...

Hek is probably best as a primary in the most situations, but with a Dread / Paris you can still one-shot lvl 90 enemies. In contrast to this, if you are against low level enemies, you don't need that raw damage since they will die in 1/2 hits anyway and something like a Braton would be better for mowing them down.

Akbolto is a good secondary at any level.

At high levels, you have to use charge attacks to be effective with a melee weapon and as such Gram / Scindo are you best bet. At lower levels though you will usually be able to 1-hit stuff with a normal attacks and something like Dual Ethers with their fast speed and armour ignore would be best.

Edited by Strudul

I'm new to warframe and I would like some weapons to work towards.  I have looked on the wiki and at the statistics but statistics do not always play out the way you would like with actual use.  I would like to elicit the help of some experienced players.  What do you think the best weapon fit for the Excalibur war-frame is?  I understand that some of this may be opinion and that some may depend on play-style, but any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you!

First Welcome! It's one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

Regarding your first set of upgraded weapons for the Excalibur. The first upgraded Assault rifle you should try would be the Braton, while I agree with some of the other previous suggestions of the Boltor, it's a bit too inaccurate for a new player, the hek... Well that requires Rank 4 to get.

The Kunai are a great secondary weapon that's easily crafted. They have high damage per shot, and while all the advance players are mentioning the despair (the advanced version of the kunai) they seem to forget that all the materials required to craft them and facing the stalker several times to get the blueprint may not be easy for someone starting of.

Melee, that depends on your style, but when starting off I feel that you should look at weapons that can hit multiple targets, such as the dual ether swords. Granted there are better melee weapons that have better charge damage, but timing your charge hits is also another skill you'll eventually master.

The 3 weapons I suggest here are not the best in game, but they are certainly weapons that you can get fairly quick.

You can check the wiki here:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Good luck and enjoy the game!

Thank you guys so much for your replies and information! I now have a better idea of how to proceed and what to strive for.  I also am very happy to see such an active and helpful community, I look forward to playing with you all in the future.