Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hitsu San's Workshop - Octavia Youkai is finally here!

HitsuSan

18 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

How many of you likes the infested/organic asymmetric design?

It really depends tbh in my case. I dig Asymmetry when it has a purpose.

Like heavy plated / tougher skin on one side of the body as that is more open to battle but keeping the safer side lighter to reduce overall weight. (basically it has a purpose) HELL YES.

one leg of the helminth charger being an octopus tentacle for no actual reason... not so much.

So it all depends on why its asymmetric as to wether I'll like it or not

On 9/24/2017 at 3:46 AM, HitsuSan said:

It's okay, but like Lasurus said, Infested are asymmetrically neat, but on Warframes, not so much. It would also be great to see some symmetrical Infested pieces similar to how Nidus looks (sans the "Infested Ammo-loop). 

I also am really hoping that your Saryn Velenosa gets accepted soon, Hitsu San! 

I really like Cheshire's and Prosetisen's work, but a lot of their designs just end up looking shiny recolors of the originals. I'm not saying it's bad; on the contrary I love the Itegra skin! What I'm saying is you always manage to add an entirely new theme for the Warframe. Examples like Excalibur Caduto, Ash Bai Hu, Zephyr Hagoromo, etc... It's always a new take on each, almost a deluxe even! 

I especially like the tiling pattern on each one and how the colors blend. I also love how you add the PBR shiny bits on them without overdoing it! Keep up the good work, Tenno Hitsu San! 

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)ZenithLord 42 said:

I also am really hoping that your Saryn Velenosa gets accepted soon, Hitsu San! 

I really like Cheshire's and Prosetisen's work, but a lot of their designs just end up looking shiny recolors of the originals. I'm not saying it's bad; on the contrary I love the Itegra skin! What I'm saying is you always manage to add an entirely new theme for the Warframe. Examples like Excalibur Caduto, Ash Bai Hu, Zephyr Hagoromo, etc... It's always a new take on each, almost a deluxe even! 

I especially like the tiling pattern on each one and how the colors blend. I also love how you add the PBR shiny bits on them without overdoing it! Keep up the good work, Tenno Hitsu San! 

Thanks ;) I'm glad you like it, i didn't get any feedback on it so far so i guess i'll have to ask DE once i've finished to redesign the syandanas i left behind! I still don't know why Velenosa and Saturnia were not been chosen for this tennogen round, it might be cause they're not "spooky" themed but who knows ^^

On 9/24/2017 at 4:46 AM, HitsuSan said:

There really hasn't been anything released with that theme for warframes that I've truly enjoyed. I've used them for things like Halloween looks, but otherwise I dislike the aesthetic in relation to warframes quite a bit. With the only possible exception being Nidus. I find myself more attracted to corpus and Tenno aesthetics.

On 24.9.2017 at 10:46 AM, HitsuSan said:

i love it if it fits the theme/general design. embolist armor pack for example, saryn herself, nidus. it fits. the provok armor set for a grineer style also looks good. i think its the same for everything: if the design is good then symmetry is not rly the issue. its just an issue imo when something isnt rly fleshed out well.

Saryn fits the same group i was talking about earlier, on the back which is where you are seeing your warframe for most of the time she's not asymmetric except for the skirt but if you have a syandana it's already partially covered (and also there's no particular design on the skirt), i believe this is why it doesn't bother as many players.

So here's another question in addition:

Do you guys prefer symmetrical or asymmetrical armor sets? (the ones with two different shoulder or leg guards or with a skewed chest piece)

5 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

Do you guys prefer symmetrical or asymmetrical armor sets? (the ones with two different shoulder or leg guards or with a skewed chest piece)

For me it depends on the frame. I love the Hulta Armor set so much, but it really does depend on the frame's shape and how the pieces fit. For example, I love it on Loki Knave (Duh lol) Nezha, and Ember Graxx. On frames like banshee p I barely use armor sets, because I love her asymmetrical design. I use the eos prime graves on her legs because that doesn't ruin the aesthetic up top. One frame that I really do prefer symmetrical armor sets on is Nova P. I use the RIV Elite arm pieces on her with the Kiteer Foros chest plate (The Foros is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, so many metallics <3) 

6 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

Saryn fits the same group i was talking about earlier, on the back which is where you are seeing your warframe for most of the time she's not asymmetric except for the skirt but if you have a syandana it's already partially covered (and also there's no particular design on the skirt), i believe this is why it doesn't bother as many players.

Why you ask?do you have special permission to create armor? You know we have little list for armors that can cover arm and the rest of the hand and same with legs... I think that we need more that armor style in warframe. To cover little more but to look normal and not 2 big and not 2 small....

7 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

same answer, always depends on design/quality. u can make nearly every type good, be it symmetrical or asymmetrical. especially if it logically fits the pose how u hold weapons. asymmetrical desgins in reality mostly have a practical reason like having one heavy armored arm to protect and one not armored to do fast attacks without blocking ur own movement for example. whilst thats not an issue in a game besides immersion i guess it might still make a design better/more belivable and higher quality.

1 hour ago, Vlada91 said:

Why you ask?do you have special permission to create armor? You know we have little list for armors that can cover arm and the rest of the hand and same with legs... I think that we need more that armor style in warframe. To cover little more but to look normal and not 2 big and not 2 small....

I'm asking cause i want to know what you guys like :) no other particular reason i promise!

59 minutes ago, Xydeth said:

same answer, always depends on design/quality. u can make nearly every type good, be it symmetrical or asymmetrical. especially if it logically fits the pose how u hold weapons. asymmetrical desgins in reality mostly have a practical reason like having one heavy armored arm to protect and one not armored to do fast attacks without blocking ur own movement for example. whilst thats not an issue in a game besides immersion i guess it might still make a design better/more belivable and higher quality.

So in short your answer is Yes if it makes sense (like an archer having armor only on one shoulder) and No if it's asymmetrical for no reason (like having one shoulder pad pointy and the other one rounded), right? I don't think you need to say "if the quality is good enough" ^^ that's a given, if it's a piece of crap it doesn't matter what it is cause nobody is going to like it anyway regardless haha, this concept is pretty clear :)

1 hour ago, HitsuSan said:

I'm asking cause i want to know what you guys like :) no other particular reason i promise!

So in short your answer is Yes if it makes sense (like an archer having armor only on one shoulder) and No if it's asymmetrical for no reason (like having one shoulder pad pointy and the other one rounded), right? I don't think you need to say "if the quality is good enough" ^^ that's a given, if it's a piece of crap it doesn't matter what it is cause nobody is going to like it anyway regardless haha, this concept is pretty clear :)

well, yes. but i guess these asymmetrical designs are easier if its something organic like the embolist set. its a mutation and in nature nothing is 100% symmetrical, especially mutations. i also think the logic doesnt have to be 100% perfect, i mean the provok set is mainly asymmetrical because of the head pinned to one shoulder and a 2nd one on the other would prolly look silly. i think more than anything the concept is important, the rest helps it. if u want to go for an asymmetrical design i think u should just try it. i dont know how much of a financial help these skins are but i assume its mostly artistic passion and a bit of a portfolio as an artist for the future to show ur improvement/skills on modelling and texturing so as conception. having a bit of a countervalue for that time is always nice i believe, but i think if something is on ur mind u should try it. knowing ur skins so far and owning most of them myself i dont see an issue with it. i also dont think that the community strictly dislikes asymmetrical designs especially if tennogen may now be done for armor sets. just my guess, i dont have information on that ofc but considering tennogen quality armorsets as an addition would be awesome. go for it if u may ! :)

11 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

Symmetrical all the way. Haven't seen any sexy asymmetrical armors that have caught my fancy yet, but I am open to it.

And FYI, I mostly dislike infested cosmetics because they tend to clash with the aesthetics of the Warframes who are quite clean looking in comparison. Some frames however can sport certain infested themed things quite well, but that's only because they match somewhat, like the Iliac armor set on Chroma or Zephyr for example. But I would never put squirmy armor on my Nova.

On 9/26/2017 at 2:15 AM, HitsuSan said:

I'm of the same opinion as Xydeth. If the armor fits the overall aesthetic, then it doesn't matter if it's symmetrical or asymmetrical. My favorite armor sets are the Quaro (shiny, shiny), the Iliac (who doesn't like fins in space?), the Targis (finally some Orokin armor), and the Harkonar (asymmetrical Grineer armor). 

All of those armor sets work because of the design theme. It also helps that each set generally has an overall theme, but isn't specifically themed to only be applied to a certain type or appearance of Warframe. 

For example; I put the Iliac set on my Volt because it makes him look alien, not just Infested. I gave him the Storm helmet and colored him primarily burnt yellow and secondarily dark magenta. It makes him look "Zerg-esque" without him appearing overly Zerg or Infested. So, a finned, alien Volt! 

I also love the Harkonar set because of it's dual blend of primary/secondary colors. I've put the set (in it's original colors) on Banshee with the Reverb helmet to create "Harkonar Banshee". I've also only applied the large, left-shoulder pauldron to a few of my Frames. 

I guess it really depends on three things: 

1. What is the theme of the armor set? 

2. Is it for a specific Frame, faction, weapon set? (Who is wearing it and why?) 

3. What textures and colors look best for what it is trying to match or convey? 

Just some of my thoughts! 

On 9/26/2017 at 3:15 AM, HitsuSan said:

Symmetrical for me, I like uniformity, more elegant designs. Too many colors or things do not appeal to me. Though I do not mind different textures on a single item, etc. Also I'd like to say metallics on WFs tend to be really awesome. Mag, Frost, These are some of the designs you've done where the metallics are fantastic.

11 hours ago, -Titania- said:

Lol Hitsu. Sounds like you're up to something. Hope it's good! ;)

Only marketing research :D i promise i'm not up to something... but i've turned Corona Syandana into a tenno-organic design from the 100% mechanical that it was...

On 26/09/2017 at 3:15 AM, HitsuSan said:

I think symmetry is easy to make look good, but that's exactly why asymmetry, when executed well, can really be special. To put it another way, asymmetry is inherently more interesting to look at, but it's also a lot harder to make look good. Gotta get that balance right, eh?

That goes for both skins and any armour set sort of things. You can do it, though, Hitsu-San, I have faith in you! XD

36 minutes ago, HitsuSan said:

Here's the updated Synfonia, it's the one i've changed less but now it should be more soft and organic looking, less boxy and rough. What do you think? :) (Corona is next, that's completely different already...)

Oh geez, that looks nice. Do you think it's possible to get the glowy light to sync with Octavia's music? I figure that's a pipe dream, but man, wouldn't that be cool!

Archived