Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Anubis Helmet. Name will change, but nearing completion.

arch111

Well Oberon's visual gimmick is to have resemblaces to ungulates, not quite the case for Nekros. You did mention something about making the ears hollow akin to the limb rings, which I believe would be a perfect way to blend them in IMO.

It will either look good or really off. I'll try and see how it looks.

That last one in the opening post, with the big ears flaring outward some..

I like the idea of that.

A more skeletal face, perhaps a little hole where the nose should be, and then something like that.

I might just get this helmet if it's released and looks like that.

It looks more badass and less freaky than the first picture in that post.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

I am looking into the ears now.

Here's the thing.

If they are to small it looks wrong, cats ears.

If they are too pronounced, look at any coyote or depiction of Anubis and you will see big ears, it can be too litteral or organic.

If they are removed it looks horrible - Anubis must have ears Period.

If I make them too narrow, sharp or angular they look like horns.

So. I have two options. Leave them like they are now or basically gibe him horns instead.

Horns will make him look more of a devil I think, and while I'm sure I can make it work, I am not sure I have the time or energy for it.

I really need to wrap this project up now, because in honesty most warframe designs i the game people have or have had issues with. Thats just how it is.

What makes me happy now that I am sitting down to make the lowpoly mesh, is that all the comments have been constructive or positive.

And I thank you all so much for that. It's why I stay in this community.

I think the ears are perfect as is. If you look at any other depictions of Anubis they are all nearly identical to your design, tall, pointy, and jackal/coyote like. Even if they do resemble the organic representation very closely, it still looks regal, it still looks powerful.

Don't do horns, stick to the ears. They still give you the vibe of Nekros. Tall, looming, and powerful.

I cast my vote for the ears! Plus, you gotta get going man! The next round is drawing nearer and nearer, and I gotta promote the S#&amp;&#036; outta this on the workshop >u<

I think the ears are perfect as is. If you look at any other depictions of Anubis they are all nearly identical to your design, tall, pointy, and jackal/coyote like. Even if they do resemble the organic representation very closely, it still looks regal, it still looks powerful.

Don't do horns, stick to the ears. They still give you the vibe of Nekros. Tall, looming, and powerful.

I cast my vote for the ears! Plus, you gotta get going man! The next round is drawing nearer and nearer, and I gotta promote the S#&$ outta this on the workshop >u<

Yeah I know. Gotta go fast!

I personally still think you should've stuck with the original quick model you did.

Feels more like Anubis and Nekros had a lovebaby to me personally.

Not too huge a fan of the current 'organic' model that's there.

But that's personal preference, and I can't deny that it's nicely done.

I might just give that an upvote for the detail and such that's gone into it, even if I don't plan to get it.

Then again, if it gets into the game and I see it on my Nekros proper.. I might just be swayed into getting it anyway.

So I finally put in the earrings, had to see how it looks before building the low poly mesh.

I think it works just fine and mirrors the rings in the legs and on arms.

nekros_rings_by_gaber111-d9r1h1l.jpg

Next I will do the basemesh so I can do the maps and send it to steam.

The muzzle kills it for me... Other than that, it looks pretty good.

What would you have done differently? I have tried to retain the warframe estethic but still make sure it is Anubis. I am happy with the blend. But I am allso intrigued how you would improve or change it.

Yes... let the jackal headed beast of death be unleashed. As I'm sure you've guessed by my previous posts, I am definitely happy that this has come as far as it has.

As far as the ears being controversial, I don't understand it. It's a helmet inspired by a creature with ears just as Oberon is inspired by a creature with horns. At some point in order to draw any semblance between the two, literal parts of the reference need to be placed in. I dig the ears and everything else frankly. I liked the original concept, and while I'm sad it isn't the end concept in ways, I understand and appreciate the changes made so that we have a final product that is great from all angles. It's just as important for the creator to be happy with the design as it is for those throwing their money at it after all. 

So I finally put in the earrings, had to see how it looks before building the low poly mesh.

I think it works just fine and mirrors the rings in the legs and on arms.nekros_rings_by_gaber111-d9r1h1l.jpg

Next I will do the basemesh so I can do the maps and send it to steam.

MMMM those earings!

Yes... let the jackal headed beast of death be unleashed. As I'm sure you've guessed by my previous posts, I am definitely happy that this has come as far as it has.

As far as the ears being controversial, I don't understand it. It's a helmet inspired by a creature with ears just as Oberon is inspired by a creature with horns. At some point in order to draw any semblance between the two, literal parts of the reference need to be placed in. I dig the ears and everything else frankly. I liked the original concept, and while I'm sad it isn't the end concept in ways, I understand and appreciate the changes made so that we have a final product that is great from all angles. It's just as important for the creator to be happy with the design as it is for those throwing their money at it after all.

Yeah, it has been quite a ride. People will always have their likes and disslikes, and it is allways dangerous to create something with a predefined look, like vampires, angels and various gods.

I will not be sending Anubis to the workshop just yet. First I stressed out and went a bit nuts.

I have calmed down abit now and realized it was for the best.

- Issues -

I thought the helmet was separate from the 6 tubes going into it. So I was trying to find a way to just delete the headparts and replace it with my own in Maya.

It was when I looked at the FBX that I knew I messed up. The tubes must be part of my helmet and allso share the same UV and texturemaps.

It so obvious now, but I was going crazy before.

This means that I will submit when it is done and perfect- I won't rush this, or any other tennogen item either.

So Anubis will be Round 3.

- The Good News -

I have time to perfect and maby even do a new body to go with it.

HitsuSan did this allready so I know its possible.

So, thanks to all who support this. And if you have any suggestions for the body, let me know.

Oh, and why is helmet-swaps in the tool not covered i the Guide? The upload still refers only to textures.

I read them 10 times looking for instructions. Maby I am just not used to doing this, it's been a while since I worked with combined and grouped meshes.

In any case, it would help if the basic stuff was added.

I still dont get why I have to include the body with the helmet, I assume I have to include it even if I have not read it any where, but maby all assets are in a hierarchy like that?

I will not be sending Anubis to the workshop just yet. First I stressed out and went a bit nuts.

I have calmed down abit now and realized it was for the best.

- Issues -

I thought the helmet was separate from the 6 tubes going into it. So I was trying to find a way to just delete the headparts and replace it with my own in Maya.

It was when I looked at the FBX that I knew I messed up. The tubes must be part of my helmet and allso share the same UV and texturemaps.

It so obvious now, but I was going crazy before.

This means that I will submit when it is done and perfect- I won't rush this, or any other tennogen item either.

So Anubis will be Round 3.

- The Good News -

I have time to perfect and maby even do a new body to go with it.

HitsuSan did this allready so I know its possible.

So, thanks to all who support this. And if you have any suggestions for the body, let me know.

I can't speak for everyone but I didn't put the neck tendrils on my helmet texture. Didn't even think about that. I don't think it's necessary. Also: the current alt helmets use different parts of the tendrils... Raknis loses them all together. I think Shroud is missing the front pair. So that's something to consider if you're having issues... seems like you can just delete them.

Oh, and why is helmet-swaps in the tool not covered i the Guide? The upload still refers only to textures.

I read them 10 times looking for instructions. Maby I am just not used to doing this, it's been a while since I worked with combined and grouped meshes.

In any case, it would help if the basic stuff was added.

I still dont get why I have to include the body with the helmet, I assume I have to include it even if I have not read it any where, but maby all assets are in a hierarchy like that?

The alt helmet section is here https://warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=polycount-creating-an-alt-helm I'm not sure if you've found it or not, but what do you need help with, specifically? Is it something I/others can help with?

They emphasize the connection between helmet and body a lot... it probably helps them to import and judge them quickly to have the body already in the same scene with the helmet. Also provides a quick check for scale, global position vs the body model, etc. for ease of moving to the next step. Idk for sure though, just a guess!

Edited by Syncrasis

What I mean by the Guide is that it do not say what to upload. If the body and other parts are there for scale and reference purposes, I could just delete everything but the helmet and send that in.

I can find no such instructions one way or another. So do everyone just make their own descisions about this? Seems kinda dangerous to be honest. In my experience the more detailed the instructions are, the better the quality.

As for the warframes with loose parts in the obj, if those are up for redesign as well, that is good news.

So Syn, how did you solve the tintmask? You still have the tubes there right?

They are the source of my confusion since they are a part og the helm in the default helmet. I assumed I had to include them.

If I can delete them, I van allso replace them,

something I wanted to do all along.

I this is a no issue with Excalibur who are a helmet plain and simple.

I've just been throwing the body in there anyway, because it's easy to put all the existing assets together and they can always delete it if they want to. Just seems like the safe option.

The instructions are a bit sparse in a few areas, and they may clarify such things later, but I think it's ok to use your best judgement on things like this. These are issues that will not block them from choosing your piece as a winning entry.

Personally I didn't touch the tendrils at all. I assume they'll just use the existing textures for them, as they are not part of my entry. I doubt they were mapped onto the alt helmets either... there's no way they want you to try to puzzle-piece together a bunch of textures like that.

As for adding/removing geo for tendrils: They've stated they don't want us doing anything that requires rigging on our helmets unless absolutely necessary, so I'd avoid adding custom replacements. Removing the geo is different because it requires no new work from other departments (IE: animators). If you want the geo removed I'd suggest saying so in a Readme with your submission.

In short, I think you should stop worrying and start retopo :))))

Well in that case I have only one additional issue.

I have 6 earrings that are to be treated as merged objects. Since the base helm allready have this, I think it's cool. Trey just use 100% weights on everything and I will use the same material to make sure they are treated as one object.

As for the tendrils, I am torn between using them and just deleting the four in front.

If i can delete them it will solve alot of problems and I can pull the forms tighter together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2016 at 2:44 AM, arch111 said:
On 2/8/2016 at 10:49 PM, Kethos said:

The muzzle kills it for me... Other than that, it looks pretty good.

What would you have done differently? I have tried to retain the warframe estethic but still make sure it is Anubis. I am happy with the blend. But I am allso intrigued how you would improve or change it.

I sort of feel the same as Kethos. Been trying to put my finger on it... I think the muzzle is too thin? >.< 

1 hour ago, Leahzar said:

I sort of feel the same as Kethos. Been trying to put my finger on it... I think the muzzle is too thin? >.< 

I think once it is in the Engine Proper, it will look better than you think. Sure I can try to widen it slightly, but you see problem is it will start to look like a wolf.

Look at v10, the render with backight. That muzzle is wider.

Soon I will have the low poly version completed and its really then that proportions and scale can be descided properly.

But I will take a final look at everything before finalising this.

After that I will take a look at the body - a possible skin is in the back of my mind.