Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Anubis Helmet. Name will change, but nearing completion.

arch111

On 2/2/2016 at 7:48 PM, arch111 said:

Keeping at it.

nekros_14_by_gaber111-d9q8vuu.jpg

I was looking through the whole thread again and when I saw this picture again I realised what seemed off to me. The length of the snout.  I understand that making the snout shorter might make it seem less "jackal-like" but I think the rest of the helmet does quite a good job of keeping the jackal look. 

As to the V10, I'm not sure exactly which one that is....? But yeah I think it was the length and not so much the width...

23 minutes ago, Leahzar said:

I was looking through the whole thread again and when I saw this picture again I realised what seemed off to me. The length of the snout.  I understand that making the snout shorter might make it seem less "jackal-like" but I think the rest of the helmet does quite a good job of keeping the jackal look. 

As to the V10, I'm not sure exactly which one that is....? But yeah I think it was the length and not so much the width...

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to your input on the current one on the body in the viewer. 

My two major worries have been not to make it look TOO different from the warframe design-rules, and make sure it fo not just repeat Nekros previous shape.

1 is ok now I think, especially looking at the Mummy frame.

2 is fine, though I worry about the snout being too short will just make it look like a reskinned base visor.

Soon enough it will be clear if it good.

Hey arch, I really like where this is going, it's a great idea for Nekros.

That said, I think that your sculpt is rather muddy at this point. Not sure if your still working on it or not, but it's missing the clean, sharp curved shapes that make up warframe's art-style. The base shapes are there you just need to go in and refine them.

Edited by novabjorn
address leahzar instead of arch

9 hours ago, arch111 said:

I think once it is in the Engine Proper, it will look better than you think. Sure I can try to widen it slightly, but you see problem is it will start to look like a wolf.

Look at v10, the render with backight. That muzzle is wider.

Sorry I never saw your response to my message. Thanks new forums!

I still stand by the muzzle not doing it for me. It's too far away from the Warframe aesthetic; it's too literal in its design. I think you can still maintain the look of Anubis without resorting to sticking a muzzle on your helmet. Look at Anubis from Zone of the Enders. ZoE has some of my favorite design language, while it's not specifically Warframe-like, it still shows that maintaining the jackal look can be done in a simple way. 

latest?cb=20080229063410

What they have done is maintain the silhouette of a jackal (the large pointed "ears" and a forward facing shape) but they've done it in a simplified manner and raised it above the actual face plate of the mech. It still reads as a reference to the Egyptian god without being literal. I think something like this could help your helmet design considering the muzzle just doesn't read well. The more important part of the jackal look in my opinion would be the large ears. That'll sell the look a lot more efficiently than a weird muzzle sticking out of the front. 

Lighting isn't going to save the design and I wouldn't rely on it to. I hope you don't take any of this personally. I really like what you have going on with your helmet, I think it's something that could work for Nekros. It's a great start. I would just take some time to see what else you could do with the base that you've set for yourself. 

the base is allmost done. The "nose" is cause for much debate. some like it, some feel it looks strange.

As for the "pelt" look, I tried that at one point and I really didn't like how it looked on the body.

And Zephyr kind of own that, and Chroma too. 

I like the input though,  I really do.

7 hours ago, novabjorn said:

Hey arch, I really like where this is going, it's a great idea for Nekros.

That said, I think that your sculpt is rather muddy at this point. Not sure if your still working on it or not, but it's missing the clean, sharp curved shapes that make up warframe's art-style. The base shapes are there you just need to go in and refine them.

Hey, Thanks for the encouragement. I really DO want to find a good warframe-feel. The shapes abd edges of the head is deliberate to echo the body and especially the metal hooks he has.

I like that the other helmets do not mirror this and I have allways found both alt helmets to not really be bold enough. 

if I DO alter the faceplate to be more a mask than a snout, I need to be very careful. Its so easy to fall back into familiar shapes, and repetition of what we got will only be rejected.

Of course, I could do what Bastet did for Valkyr, and carve out the skull and teeth in an otherwise rather round shape. I worry it will look bland, but you never know.

On 2016-2-24 at 4:44 AM, Wolfglaive said:

I really like the way the Anubis one looks. Been using the Raknis forever, but always felt like I wanted something that felt more thematically appropriate, and didn't like the base helm or shroud. +1'd

Glad you think so :) Its very confusing how people can feel so different. 

5 hours ago, arch111 said:

How do you mean full side? As in with body?

Nono, I just mean a side view of the head. Like it was looking straight forward and turned 90degrees left/right.

Edit: I just realised I'm blind and need to get my eyes tested. Disregard the above sentence.... ><'

also, LOVING the in-game screenshot you posted. Looks so so good

Edited by Leahzar

52 minutes ago, SubjectX7 said:

Aww, that would be awesome...but there's a mummy frame on the way though.

Yes, he seems to be Nekros brother. If he is Osiris, then Nekros can wear Anubis and they can fight side by side. 

Edited by arch111

13 minutes ago, (PS4)GR13V4NC3 said:

I didn't think you could make it better, but you just did! Bake it so I can buy it, already :D

Haha thanks :) I still got a few things left to do before I call it done. A bit streamlining and a bit of wiring going in. 

Is "judgement" in tennobet going too far? 

3 hours ago, arch111 said:

Haha thanks :) I still got a few things left to do before I call it done. A bit streamlining and a bit of wiring going in. 

Is "judgement" in tennobet going too far? 

If you can manage to get it somewhere noticeable but also where it wouldn't take away from the helmet as a whole, I'd say go for it.

9 hours ago, main_antagonist said:

10/10 instabuy!

That's real nice to see. Keeps pushing me forward.

I await the Q&A session very much, since Anubis can be considered borderline on Theme, one of the things known to avoid. 

And yet they frequently release weapons and warframes with very obvious themes.

Sandman, Osiris, or whatever his name will be, is dangerously close to what I am trying to pull off here. And if that frame means Anubis is rejected,  well I will loose interest in TennoGen for a while, that's for sure.

I am still hoping there is room for more than one egyptian theme, seeing as Bastet is allready here. Now I had a vision of Valkyr in a black egyptian skin in homage to Bast. I have too much faschination with old Egypt for my own good :)

I have some bad news @arch111 ...

https://twitter.com/rebbford/status/704437516066230273

It seems Inaros (name confirmed?) has an Anubis themed alt helmet. (it doesn't look nearly as good as yours, though) so I don't know if they'd allow a similarly themed helmet for another frame. Maybe you can hold onto this design to be a possible alt helmet for Inaros? It's different enough from the current design to still be considered imo.

I don't know man... I'd hate for all your work to go to waste :(