The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

'host Migration', When I'm The Host; What Am I Doing Wrong?

Gigaus

Question

I keep getting into public missions, as a host, and every time it goes into host migration 3 or 4 times. I don't have this problem when I'm in a party, so it's public play only. Is there something I can change to stop this from happening? 

9 answers to this question

host migration accurs when the host changes, and everyone besides the new host gets the popup. the only thing you can do is upgrade your system (cpu,gpu,ram, internet speed..)

I'm running a rig with 32 ram and a 50/50 updown in the US....Any higher, and both my rig and connection will be business class at that point. 

It means there are better host candidate than you in the session and no, there's no way around it for the moment as far as I know.

So it'll just randomly change who's hosting because it thinks it found someone better?...So what does it mean if it does that multiple times and no one's left? The system shat itself? 

Edited by Gigaus

Host Election is a possible explanation but it only occurs right at the start of a Session, and does not happen after that. having Sessions migrate several times suggests Host Election is not a complete answer.

are you sure you're actually the Host? if you're set to Public you're only the Host of a Session when it starts if Matchmaking found no valid Squads and you had to press 'Start Mission' to start it.

if you went into Matchmaking on a Mission, and the screen darkened for a moment and people appeared 'in your squad', you aren't the Host, you've joined another Session.

however even if you aren't the Host it doesn't really make sense, because if it was you, you'd just D/C from the Session, you wouldn't Host Migrate several times. if it was others in particular it wouldn't happen all the time, and just like if it was you, they would just D/C.

my only guess is your Firewall/Router/Switch/Modem (whatever devices exist on your Network) may be blocking some network traffic.

though, setting your Region Setting to a Region that's closer to you if it's set somewhere far away should also help a lot.

- - - - - 

Host Election accounts for a lot of variables. how much RAM you have is 8000% irrelevant to the performance of your computer as long as you don't have a tiny amount(so basically 6gigs or more equals the same performance), and Host Election also doesn't calculate based off of RAM amounts.

internet speeds have some impact, connection reliability is more important though. average Framerate is queried though, users that average higher Framerate are considered to perform better and if that + solid Internet is present, it may supersede your own situation and elect someone else as a better Host.

Edited by taiiat

Host Election is a possible explanation but it only occurs right at the start of a Session, and does not happen after that. having Sessions migrate several times suggests Host Election is not a complete answer.

are you sure you're actually the Host? if you're set to Public you're only the Host of a Session when it starts if Matchmaking found no valid Squads and you had to press 'Start Mission' to start it.

if you went into Matchmaking on a Mission, and the screen darkened for a moment and people appeared 'in your squad', you aren't the Host, you've joined another Session.

however even if you aren't the Host it doesn't really make sense, because if it was you, you'd just D/C from the Session, you wouldn't Host Migrate several times. if it was others in particular it wouldn't happen all the time, and just like if it was you, they would just D/C.

my only guess is your Firewall/Router/Switch/Modem (whatever devices exist on your Network) may be blocking some network traffic.

though, setting your Region Setting to a Region that's closer to you if it's set somewhere far away should also help a lot.

- - - - - 

Host Election accounts for a lot of variables. how much RAM you have is 8000% irrelevant to the performance of your computer as long as you don't have a tiny amount(so basically 6gigs or more equals the same performance), and Host Election also doesn't calculate based off of RAM amounts.

internet speeds have some impact, connection reliability is more important though. average Framerate is queried though, users that average higher Framerate are considered to perform better and if that + solid Internet is present, it may supersede your own situation and elect someone else as a better Host.

I've been starting missions on my own, people join, then the insane migration starts. I had a match where I was doing interception...We ended up migrating at least 5 separate times, but no one D/ced amazingly. This only started happening today incidentally, until now thing have been fine, save one instance of lag during a sortie. 

I figured ram had nothing to do with it, and my internet is fairly stable, as much as it can be in the US. As to my framerate, it's going to the max that my monitor can do, 60 fps.....Does..That mean if someone has a higher monitor fps, they can take being the host? XD?

Does..That mean if someone has a higher monitor fps, they can take being the host? XD?

yes.

but Host Election only happens when a Session is being created, not while you're playing. once a Mission has started it doesn't do that anymore.

your Sessions having that many Host Migrations is very much outside the norm and there isn't an obvious explanation.

talking to Support may be able to look for problems that require a lot of information to be traded and analyzed.

yes.

but Host Election only happens when a Session is being created, not while you're playing. once a Mission has started it doesn't do that anymore.

your Sessions having that many Host Migrations is very much outside the norm and there isn't an obvious explanation.

talking to Support may be able to look for problems that require a lot of information to be traded and analyzed.

I.....I don't think I can face palm hard enough at how dumb of a design flaw that is. I 'asked' that as a joke, I didn't expect to get a yes as an answer....So if someone has a better GPU and Monitor, which have 0% of anything to do with hosting and latency, the system will prioritize them over another person who may have a better ping for everyone else...Is that close to right?

Also, on that note of having 'that many HM' being out of the 'norm', some of my raiding buddies and just general gaming buddies I run with in this are getting the same problem in high traffic nodes. By high traffic, I mean nodes that have around 6~7 squads on average any time you check, which considering those squads are only in the 'party formation stage' usually means that you can probably double or triple that number. I'm curios to hear what support has to say. 

Is that close to right?

a user's system performance is a part of the equation, so it makes an impact. it's not that it will prioritize, but it influences the decision.

and no, the system performance makes a difference for the quality of the Session. if someone is on a mega toaster they won't be able to Host without their computer falling behind.

or to a less extreme, if their performance is not that great to start with, Hosting can result in them having a distasteful experience if they're forced to be the Host - because the Host of a Multiplayer Session will have much worse performance than the Clients or if that Player was playing alone.

it's like this for very good reasons.