The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Primary Weapon Help? T3/t4

ShieldMaMeat

Question

I'm starting to feel like my primary weapon is lagging behind when im playing. I play Volt prime and im using a potatoed Tiberon with Serration, split chamber, Corrosive and blast. Basically I like to play long/med and try to avoid close range. I often drop my shields down and shoot through them picking off enemies. I play alot of void survival and im finding now at T2 40 min mark that im struggling to kill stuff. Im having to 5-6x burst stuff to make it go down and getting butt rushed by hoards of enemies and struggling to fend them off because I dont have a punch through mod yet.

I'm wondering if it would be smart to start the forma train (would be my first weapon to ever forma) on my tiberon? Some clan mates recommended me to try Sybaris for its status chance (they say it flows into higher level content a bit better and dmg is even across slash, impact and Puncture making it good for anything), others are saying Tonkor (I find it hard to use but good. Requires alot of forma), other's are saying soma prime (idk about it yet) and finally some say try sniping (i tried the rubicon and find it SOOO slow on reload that its not viable). 

Basically I need some guidance here..Im most likely maining volt, I just love how he plays and I know his shields give weapons bonus's so maybe take that into consideration? I also tried the boltor and didn't really love it but it was a while ago, maybe I should try it again. I'm also MR6 atm so please don't recommend some MR12 weapon that I may never get to actually playing with.

Thanks in advance 

10 answers to this question

Well, since the Tiberon doesn't have much in crit chance, it won't make use of the critical damage multiplier it gives, but the extra electric damage is nice on its own. 

Now, for the Tiberon, it's a REALLY good weapon. My favorite burst weapon actually, it can go pretty far into t4 void survivals. I can pretty much triple bang lvl 30 something bombards.

This is what I use when I go into the void. (Use Viral and Fire if you're in a squad with 4 CPs)

THpDhAv.jpg

If you don't have Piercing Caliber, you can just use Hellfire or another useful mod. A maxed Heavy Caliber doesn't seem to effect the accuracy on this too much, and the damage boost is really nice as well as the punch through and fire rate from Shred.

And another recommendation I could give you. A build for the Tonkor! (For reference when you get it and wanna use forma on it) 

ks5uOIT.jpg

Altho, you don't need much forma to make this do a good amount of damage.

With a Catalyst, you could fit Serration, Split Chamber, the Crit mods and an elemental combo, if you have like a Maxed Malignent Force and a rank 6 Stormbringer for Corrosive. (To better help with those Heavy Gunners in the Void, seeing as you like t2 void survivals)

A single forma (A Maduri polarity would do) would make room for maxed elemental mods. That's all you really need for this to do a ton of damage.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

Well, since the Tiberon doesn't have much in crit chance, it won't make use of the critical damage multiplier it gives, but the extra electric damage is nice on its own. 

Now, for the Tiberon, it's a REALLY good weapon. My favorite burst weapon actually, it can go pretty far into t4 void survivals

This is what I use when I go into the void. (Use Viral and Fire if you're in a squad with 4 CPs)

THpDhAv.jpg

If you don't have Piercing Caliber, you can just use Hellfire or another useful mod. A maxed Heavy Caliber doesn't seem to effect the accuracy on this too much, and the damage boost is really nice as well as the punch through and fire rate from Shred.

And another recommendation I could give you. A build for the Tonkor! (For reference when you get it and wanna use forma on it) 

ks5uOIT.jpg

Altho, you don't need much forma to make this do a good amount of damage.

With a Catalyst, you could fit Serration, Split Chamber, the Crit mods and an elemental combo, if you have like a Maxed Malignent Force and a rank 6 Stormbringer for Corrosive. (To better help with those Heavy Gunners in the Void, seeing as you like t2 void survivals)

A single forma (A Maduri polarity would do) would make room for maxed elemental mods. That's all you really need for this to do a ton of damage.

Thanks for your builds. Thats quite alot of forma on those weapons. I do have a tonkor at rank 30 already but find it hard to use. I may forma it once and try it again but honestly I like the long/med range capabilities of the tiberon because I play volt, drop a shield, camp/kill and if something gets close I speed myself up and melee the crap out of it with my scindo prime. I got this from the wiki on the sybaris.... 

• When compared to the Sybaris, it has a higher fire rate, a larger magazine size, and better accuracy. However, the weapon has little to go by in terms of critical chance and status chance, a property that the Sybaris excels in. The Tiberon is essentially an alternative to the Sybaris for dealing higher non-crit DPS.

So I'm wondering if the sybaris Crit and status chance outweigh the tiberon's raw dps or vice versa because honestly it seems like the tiberon (or sybaris) are going to require some serious forma to get into T4 worthy. 

Thanks for your builds. Thats quite alot of forma on those weapons. I do have a tonkor at rank 30 already but find it hard to use. I may forma it once and try it again but honestly I like the long/med range capabilities of the tiberon because I play volt, drop a shield, camp/kill and if something gets close I speed myself up and melee the crap out of it with my scindo prime. I got this from the wiki on the sybaris.... 

• When compared to the Sybaris, it has a higher fire rate, a larger magazine size, and better accuracy. However, the weapon has little to go by in terms of critical chance and status chance, a property that the Sybaris excels in. The Tiberon is essentially an alternative to the Sybaris for dealing higher non-crit DPS.

So I'm wondering if the sybaris Crit and status chance outweigh the tiberon's raw dps or vice versa because honestly it seems like the tiberon (or sybaris) are going to require some serious forma to get into T4 worthy. 

I think the Tiberon and Sybaris comes at about a tie (Maybe the Tiberon coming out better because of it's stats, but both are good choices) I haven't really used the Sybaris much to give a good comparison on experience.

I'll see what I got on it...

Edit: Has no forma on it.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

What weapon can you take that deep into T4 without Forma?

Anyway, I am like you and prefer the longer range rifles. However between the Tiberon and the Sybaris I chose the Sybaris. With a crit build and punch through it is a beast of a weapon. You just need to make your shots count because you only get 5 trigger pulls before a reload.

Maybe what you really need to consider, is farming for the punch through mod, as it will really help you with your stated problems, and you'll need it for any rifle you replace the Tiberon with anyway.

Sybaris is really strong, with high end crits, extreme accuracy.  Sybaris is close to a sniper rifle -- shoots a little faster, hits a little softer, but its an accuracy based gun capable of nonstop crits.   Its my favorite general purpose rifle but it almost needs a reload speedup mod of some sort.  2 seconds every 5 shots is a little stiff.  If you want to kill stuff in a shot or two, this gun does that.  However equal balanced stats is a 2 edged sword, its great in the void, and its a little weaker vs high end grineer where 1/3 of your damage is impact and does little.

But the faction modded grinlok brings up an interesting situation.  With that mod, you can reach sybaris' crit rates AND have a super high status chance.   If you want a status gun, this is slightly better, but it will do less damage.   Most folks refer to status guns as stuff that can hit 100% status effects quickly though, so generally a full auto status gun is preferred, at one time the galaxion was a pick for an example of this, dunno what people use now.   Ive forgotten what the damage type of this gun is, but that faction mod took it from a lesser status gun to viable.

Soma P is another crit gun.   Being full auto, you have to shoot many round to drop a high level enemy.   If you are looking to shoot something and have it die in a shot or two, this isn't your gun.

Both grinlok and Sybaris are simple to get to try out.  Soma is also easy to get (not prime).  Try them and make up your own mind, then you can get a prime soma if you choose that, or look into forma for the others if they suit you.

No gun is going to go t4 wave 30+ without any forma.  

You can farm forma on lower tower missions, though.  Its tedious.  My Sybaris has 5 or 6 forma in it.  Most guns need at least 4, and a few need 6.   I may have over-done it but again, its a favorite.

Sybaris will out dps the tiberon after being built right.   It will crit nearly every time you fire, and those will do at least 4 times the damage of the gun, and as high as nearly 7 times (possibly more but tradeoffs make this unwise usually).

Edited by jonnin

Try tigris, I potatoed it and put 1 forma for the primed point blank, so I mod it with primed point blank (not max it yet), maxed shotgun savvy, maxed punch through mod with boar prime in the pic(I forget the name), maxed blaze and add some status mod

Just try to learn to use the tigris and the r tapping for fast reload

First of all OP, keep in mind that if you wish to deal decent damage in late games, up to 4-6 forma on the weapons is a painful yet necessary process.

Now back to topic, while I agree that Tiberon is a very good weapon to go with, I think the forma investment will be better put on other weapons, as Tiberon may not get you very far I'm afraid.

Sybaris, on the other hand, is a great weapon to forma with. Its high crit chance and dmg with its 2-burst mechanic, can kill enemies with ease. As many have stated, treat it like a snpier rifle but with a faster fire-rate for mobility. But the downside is, Sybaris need a minimum of 4-5 forma to make it decent, which you may find it quite diffucult. I'll just post my build for your reference.

aDhKHEH.jpg 

For Tonkor, as you said you're not fond of it, and it also requires 4-5 forma to make it work like Sybaris, so I'll just leave it here.

Soma Prime is actually better than Sybaris, in terms of DPS, and about 2-3 forma will already outshines your other guns. Maybe you could consider building it if you can have a grasp of it. And also my build for Soma P :

CPokFSH.jpg 

While sniper deals an insane amount of damage, they are not that effective in late game, especially when enemies are coming in hordes, so I just don't recommend it.

Now, considering you like to main Volt with his shield, which the characteristic of shield neglecting damage falloff and increasing bullet travel speed, I recommend you to use Paris Prime.

Bows in general are very good in dealing decent damage, especially red crit damage, and can get you beyond 40 mins or more.

I choose Paris P over other mainstream bows, i.e. Dread / Rakta Cernos, solely because it's the most easy bow for you to get currently, and its mainly puncture IPS damage can deal good damage to Void enemies, a.k.a. armored enemies. And as always, my build for Paris P.

7k6LC4Z.jpg 

Hope this helps.

Edited by SpryCrow

There are plenty of weapons that do well in t3/t4. You can forma the Tiberon; it is a good weapon. Other weapons i'd recommend that you try are: Soma/Soma Prime, Vectis/Vectis Prime, Burston Prime, Braton Prime, Attica(requires forma), Dread, Paris Prime, etc. There are tons of choices. If you put enough time and effort into a gun, then it will be viable for endgame. I don't  care what people say.

If you like to aim and take pop shots and do good damage then the soma prime will carry you far. The damage on it looks low but when you build it for crit then thing is a wrecking ball that can carefully aim head shots at distance or take out the horde rushing at you. It's a very good versatile weapon that I think you will enjoy.

You can build regular til you get prime but don't forma regular. Prime is a straight increase across the board with free forma slots in it. It also has a clip of 200 for mowing down anything crazy enough to rush at you.

Edited by Coaa

There are many fine weapon choices in this game, and most weapons can be built into effectiveness using formas. 

Imo again, we should not concentrate on weapon but rather on weapon type, burst fire weapons are essentially single shot rifles, pretty powerful and accurate but weak for large enemy groups.

Closest weapon group that offers what are you used to but still it's noticeably better in fighting larger groups and are reasonably god on long ranges (some anyway) are assault rifles. They are good in controlled burst use but you can spray and pray when needed. 

From specific weapons I would go with either soma prime or braton if 60p is too expensive for you -braton is around 35p. Both good and reliable weapons and in a case of soma, require no great forma investment. Both hitscan, one crit other status based.