Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zora's Workshop (new Nyx skin concept)

Zoracraft

Hello!

This is my Nyx Skin concept, dubbed the "Jade" skin

hNXDzLC.jpg

Feel free to leave suggestions and feedback!

and this is my Zephyr Skin, dubbed the "Thunderbird" skin.

tl3SB5U.png

Link to Steam Workshop page. You can vote there, or leave feedback here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620298138&searchtext=

More Pics, Red is tint 1, Green tint 2, Blue tint 3, Yellow tint 4, energy color purple:

r0Y91xf.png?1BLSE1PO.png?1

Thank you for stopping by!

Zoracraft

Previous OP, talking about weirdness with Zephyr's tint mask.

Spoiler

So, I've tried to make a skin for zephyr, as she badly needs it and I kind of want to make a warframe skin. However, when I look at her tint mask (oddly named "TenguTint_d.png" as if it was for her alt helmet. Was Tengu Zephyr's in house name?", it is a bunch of red shapes. Having a little experience with tennogen from trying to make a volt skin for round one, I assumed that this file wouldn't work, as the other tint masks have red, green, blue, and white shapes on a black background. However, when I plugged it into tennogen, it worked miraculously, despite only being red shapes on a transparent background. Thus, I attempted to edit her skin with Krita, only to find that only the red showed up there as well, no matter how much I fiddled with the channels (in addition, the red turned black when I disable the green layer. I don't know what that entails, but it might help solve this mystery.).

With this problem, I have no Idea what parts of the tint mask effect what parts of Zephyr. I don't have time to dot all over the tint mask to map out her skin and figure out what connects to what. Could we please get a more understandable tint mask for zephyr? Additionally, if someone has mapped out the tint mask and labelled what parts connect to what on zephyr, could you please share that with the rest of us?

Thank you for your time,

Zoracraft

Edited by Zoracraft

dsagaewg_zpsu3tetpab.jpg

The image on the left: Alpha set to appear as a separate channel

Right: Alpha makes layer transparent

Now, I'm using Photoshop and the SuperPNG plugin, but if you're seeing the image on the right, it means the alpha channel is cutting out the opaque parts of the texture (which is tint4). I don't know how to change that in Krita but hopefully this gives you a starting point. Good luck!

Edited by Syncrasis

dsagaewg_zpsu3tetpab.jpg

Now, I'm using Photoshop and the SuperPNG plugin, but if you're seeing the image on the right, it means the alpha channel is cutting out the opaque parts of the texture (which is tint4). I don't know how to change that in Krita but hopefully this gives you a starting point. Good luck!

Thanks! Guess I know where to start now.

So...

I drew up a concept for the zephyr skin, so without further ado...

IXCnCUB.jpg

Tell me what you guys think about it. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I don't know what is wrong with it really.

Also, this is my first time using an image hosting service, so the embedding may not work (cross your fingers).

P.S.: In the image, Red is tint 1, Green is tint 2, Blue is tint 3, yellow is tint 4, and purple is energy color. you might not be able to see tint 3 and 4 because the transfers I made lightened the picture, but it is there if you can see it.

Thanks as always for the support guys,

Zoracraft

EDIT: Lime green and sharpie green and pencil red and sharpie red are the same colors. The colors on Zephyr's front had to be flipped so the "wings" on her back would match her chest color

Edited by Zoracraft

I haven't tried it (haven't had time, in high school)

I would like people to critique the concept before I start editing the tint mask anyways, as it's much harder to change stuff back once you edit the tint mask. I need a final concept to make the tennogen skin off of.

dsagaewg_zpsu3tetpab.jpg

How did you get the layers under alpha to be visible? Krita has alpha as a separate channel, and I can use "select similar colors" to find where the red, purple, and yellow are, but without going in and filling all those areas, I can't find how to recreate your picture. Could you explain how you got the alpha to stop blocking the tint mask?

Thanks,

Zoracraft

So far Zephyr is the only frame without a Workshop skin submitted, and I'm running out of encouraging .gifs to post...

tumblr_mbaihbD1Ms1r63db6o1_500.gif

Keep at it, people. Whatever issue this is, it needs to be solved!

Zephyr is literally the most infuriating thing to skin I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone who was going to skin her took one look at the tint mask and went "nope". Why the hell couldn't DE have formatted them like the other...

Scratch that. They screwed up all of the new warframe tints. Why are they so much harder to edit than the first three?

It's very frustrating, as these problems are going to mean that only the most elite skin makers will have the technical prowess to figure out the skins, meaning our pool of options will be limited.

But whatever. I'll work on my skin when I can stomach it, and update you guys with progress

Scratch that. They screwed up all of the new warframe tints. Why are they so much harder to edit than the first three?

They didn't mess them up, they added the missing 4th tint that the other tint masks have been missing up to this point. It is not DE's fault that your program of choice cannot separate the alpha from the rest of the map.

Wait... what? The tintmask for Zephyr is set up exactly the same as the others...

Look at volt's tint mask

Now look at zephyr's tint mask

Now look at volt's tint mask

One is easier to decode than the other. I'll let you find out.

@alexmach

You could always do tint four, the tint mask just didn't include the regular tint four- you had to make it yourself.

Now that they included it, it leaves us scrambling to decipher it. I still have no Idea how syncrasis fixed his, I'm having to manually re-color the tint mask through a trick I found. A pretty heavy price to pay, considering almost no skins have a sizable tint 4 area.

Also, Krita is one of the programs DE recommends to use tennogen. Until they come out and say that we have to use photoshop, there is no reason why it shouldn't work for Krita.

But hey, maybe I should just quit. That would sure save me a lot of stress. Better than wasting a few bucks on photoshop to maybe, just maybe have a chance to get a skin in the game.

I am so sick of jumping through hurdles right now...

Do not misconstrue what I am saying as an attack against you. Just because something hinders you does not mean it "left us scrambling to decipher it". There are many methods to obtain the image without the alpha; you can open the image in Paint and copy/paste the data into your editor. You can view the texture file in 3dsmax and export without alpha. You can download the photoshop trail, extract the alpha, and save as a new file. I have never used Krita, but you can easily search around or ask their support/help forums for how to get the alpha out. You are only hurting yourself when you make this fix out to be some attack to somehow make your life harder. You are stressing yourself out. You are to blame if you cannot solve what isn't a problem.

I am not trying to discourage you. I am not saying you should stop. I am saying that you are making this into something it is not, and then attacking other people because you can't figure it out.

Again, ask on the Krita forums. Ask other Krita users. Ask Google. Use Paint to get the color data. Don't make baseless assumptions about how this non-issue is forcing us to dodge around the same hurdles you think you have, and don't lash out against others who clearly aren't having the same issues that you are.

Edited by alexmach1

They're all set up the same way, I promise. As for complexity, that's just what you get with Zephyr. She's got the most complex textures of all the Warframes.

That aside, the point is to make your own tintmasks. If you wanted to you could completely ignore the one provided and start from the beginning.

I'll separate them out for you. They won't be perfect but maybe it will help you understand how the file is set up a little better. Start with a black document, 1024x1024 in size, and then add, on top of the black one by one in this order:

Tint1 (normal) (right over the black)

ZephyrTint1_zpsyma81oaf.png

Tint2 (screen) (goes on top of tint1)

ZephyrTint2_zpsnfyvzbf0.png

Tint3 (screen) (goes on top of tint2)

ZephyrTint3_zpsrwapxpee.png

Tint4 (alpha channel) (not a layer, but is added as a separate channel)

ZephyrTint4_zps4pkanu8m.png

Keep in mind that you should be working at 2048x2048 resolution, but Photobucket doesn't let me upload larger than 1024.

Another thing that helped me with making tintmasks was to put the diffuse texture underneath all the tintmask layers, and then just lowering the opacity on the mask layers so I could see through to the details and know where I was painting. Then you just crank the opacity back up and turn off the diffuse layer when you're ready to export. 

I sincerely hope this helps. 

(edited to add) Tint2 should be pure green and Tint3 should be pure blue, forgot to color them that way for you

Edited by Syncrasis

Yeah, but when you have the blue and green layers (tint2 and tint3) set to screen, you get the pink color and the yellow color because of how the blending mode (screen) changes the colors. but yeah, you're getting somewhere.

By the way, this isn't a perfect mask... if you load this up as-is in the TennoGen viewer, you'll see a lot of artifacts at the edges of things because I separated the layers quickly. But I hope you get the idea!

Yeah, thanks. Was about to lose my mind filling in all the pixels...

I found a "fill entire selection" button when I was editing this. I think our neighbors heard me laughing hysterically.

Anyways, the reason I was pestering you guys so much for the tint mask decoding was so I could label it. That way, I know for sure what parts of the mask go on what part of Zephyr.

With this, the artifacting shouldn't be an issue. I just needed a workable, visible version. When I start editing stuff, I can smooth it out

Thanks again. I'm going to get some sleep tonight...