Zora's Workshop (new Nyx skin concept)

I've got some constructive criticism for you. I feel like part of the issue why people don't like it is indeed because of the presentation. The MSPaint thundercloud image probably did quite a bit of harm, but I also feel like the colour scheme you chose didn't really work out all that well. The Levity Zephyr skin fell into the same pitfall; the colours didn't really demonstrate the capabilities of the skin very well, and as a result it gave a really mediocre feeling. At least, that is my opinion on the matter.

Another issue, which I personally find more glaring, is the design in general. Most of the colour has been draped over the model with very little regard for the details. You can see the original patterns and shapes through the colour, but they are not actually being utilized and as a result have lost their purpose. Compare and contrast this with the other two popular Zeph skins, both of which work with existing details and even add their own. I truly believe that this is what seperates the decent from the great, skins that don't just apply new colours to the existing model but add their own touches beyond that.

If I were you I'd continue to make skins and honing your skills. After all, practice is perfect. 

So, It is 7pm on February 16...

Saryn Prime is out, which is cool...

But we still don't know who's skin is getting in!

And we haven't had any word since Rebecca's update...

So... What now?

I suppose we will just have to wait until she makes another post.

I've got some constructive criticism for you. I feel like part of the issue why people don't like it is indeed because of the presentation. The MSPaint thundercloud image probably did quite a bit of harm, but I also feel like the colour scheme you chose didn't really work out all that well. The Levity Zephyr skin fell into the same pitfall; the colours didn't really demonstrate the capabilities of the skin very well, and as a result it gave a really mediocre feeling. At least, that is my opinion on the matter.

Another issue, which I personally find more glaring, is the design in general. Most of the colour has been draped over the model with very little regard for the details. You can see the original patterns and shapes through the colour, but they are not actually being utilized and as a result have lost their purpose. Compare and contrast this with the other two popular Zeph skins, both of which work with existing details and even add their own. I truly believe that this is what seperates the decent from the great, skins that don't just apply new colours to the existing model but add their own touches beyond that.

If I were you I'd continue to make skins and honing your skills. After all, practice is perfect. 

I suppose we will just have to wait until she makes another post.

Yeah, a lot of the designs (bumps, divots, etc.) I wanted to smooth out before the contest ended. However, I was patching color leaks the morning of submission, so I didn't get the chance to try to figure them out.

I will continue to edit the skin if it doesn't get in this round, as I really want one in, and I've come this far.

As for the thumbnail and color choice... I thought its uniqueness would help it stand out in a good way, but apparently it didn't :/

I have 5 color schemes up on the work shop, so I hoped that that would be enough.

Anyways, time to play the waiting game again...

So... would anyone know how to turn off mobile mode in the new forums? I usually use my phone for them, but now all the pages are huge because the mobile font is big.

Also, congrats to HitsuSan and NovaBjorn for getting their skins in. Not sure if I want to continue making thunderbird after all, as I would like to try my hand at nyx, if she becomes available.

Thanks Zoracraft,

Might as well continue refining Thunderbird until Nyx is released. You never know what you'll learn. I would definitely play around with some normal and texture creation to match up with your tint masks.  If not, then play around with more designs or stylization in your tint masks. And check out the presentation used in other entries or go over to artstation for inspiration for presenting your own work on Steam.

• 1 month later...

My latest Endeavor.

hNXDzLC.jpg

I've dubbed it the "jade" nyx skin (Nyx's in house name was jade, if you didn't know). The idea is to make something similar to the leaked alabaster skin for Excalibur Prime, but more refined, looking like it belongs on a warframe. The entire skin will glow faintly in the energy color to give the precious stone look, and brighter on her chest and spine. you probably won't be able to notice the faint glow unless you are in the dark, but the idea is that the skin looks like its coated in colored jade.

Leave me suggestions and feedback if you like :D I found the files with some help from atarrwen, so I might be able to start it soon!

• 3 weeks later...

The nyx files in tennogen are fixed now, if anybody wants to use them.

I made a delightful discovery today. If you put complete black on the roughness map, you get a glassy effect. In tennogen, the reflections from the glassy effect show the arsenal compartment despite the fact that the arsenal isn't in tennogen. 

Also, the effect looks a lot like colored jade. I'll have to test some comparisons, but this concept looks promising!

I worked on the skin today. For those interested, I've flipped the primary and secondary colors to make the skin compatible with Nyx Prime. As far as I can tell, that change should make my skin very compatible. 

I colored most of nyx tint 2 and started on ribbons. The ribbons might not have as straight, X shaped intersections as the concept (IE, more curved, and maybe flattened). Would this bother anyone? Also, does anyone have any qualms with me making the skin's colors shading uniform? (Unlike currently, where colors applied to areas black in the regular tint mask are severely darkened by the diffuse/specular maps. With my concept, the entire skin would accept colors in the same manner, since it is supposed to be made of the one jade material).

Any other feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll get some pictures here when I have made meaningful progress, so as not to spam the thread like I did with thunderbird.