The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Vpns

BlueregardQKaZoo

Question

9 answers to this question

You know that the port are blocked for a reason right ?

for legal reasons (reactionary solutions at their best - a problem occurs linked to a particular Port and that Port is then permanently turned off until the end of time) and/or because many institutions believe that Students should be doing coursework 24/7 and do nothing else in their entire life.

nope, definitely can't take a break and do something else so that you don't have a mental breakdown. 

for legal reasons (reactionary solutions at their best - a problem occurs linked to a particular Port and that Port is then permanently turned off until the end of time) and/or because many institutions believe that Students should be doing coursework 24/7 and do nothing else in their entire life.

nope, definitely can't take a break and do something else so that you don't have a mental breakdown. 

Yep totaly agree its probably theory 2 ^.^ 

Punching your way trought might be hard to do tought.

My workaround was to set up a VPN to some other network with some more permissive firewalling. From my current location I could usually VPN into my university in London and then the chat and everything would be ok.

Works only if you have a VPN to somewhere else, though. I don't know if you can just buy a membership to some network or something like that.

to avoid being blockable, VPN's normally use generic traffic Ports.

because if those Ports were turned off, people literally couldn't use the internet.

We know that internet is running around 80 and 8080 usualy i mean for the normal population using web browser.

Must admit i never saw blocking port restricting acess to the whole internet ( exeption of port 80 of course ). 

Sonic wall tend to block things on a blacklist listed by ports or url or ip.

Edited by trunks013

First of all Im not really good at making a proper VPN although I have few networks back home from which if anyone is willing to explain to make it home so I could port forward. Secondly it is a dorm, the server is ruled by one dude only, and he thinks that Waframe is not good enough to be allowed to be played (for instance COD, CS, WOW ) are all unblocked. Now this is running on a local server which is into the next room to me. I think he uses Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 ( if that means anything to anyone) :) .

If we manage to bypass it we dont have to worry about lawsuits or ect, cause I live in a 3rd world country and nobody cares about this, the only thing is I dont know how to properly do it :) .
So far TunnelBear which is free managed to get the chat unblocked but people still see my as offline.
So help a Tenno out :).

to avoid being blockable, VPN's normally use generic traffic Ports.

because if those Ports were turned off, people literally couldn't use the internet.

We know that internet is running around 80 and 8080 usualy i mean for the normal population using web browser.

Must admit i never saw blocking port restricting acess to the whole internet ( exeption of port 80 of course ). 

Sonic wall tend to block things on a blacklist listed by ports or url or ip.

My workaround was to set up a VPN to some other network with some more permissive firewalling. From my current location I could usually VPN into my university in London and then the chat and everything would be ok.

Works only if you have a VPN to somewhere else, though. I don't know if you can just buy a membership to some network or something like that.

So guys any ideas?