[DE]Rebecca

Partnership Announcement (Further Updates)

DE has positioned itself as an attractive investment opportunity in large part as a result of Warframe's success.  In my view, Warframe's success is attributed to talented artists and developers producing compelling content at the direction of extremely visible and engaged project leadership.  These guys spent years on the road trying to get Warframe off the ground through investment and they opted not to compromise their vision for investment at that time; I can't fathom them conceding creative control for investment now. 

I'm filing this under much ado about nothing.

my god i hope you are right.

While I don't agree with all of DE's decisions, I do hold a lot of respect for them as not only a company but as people. I don't get the impression that DE would sell their soul to what people are saying is china's EA.(or at least what i get out of it) Can someone let me know the full name of the of the company involved in this business deal? I would like to do some research of my own.

my god i hope you are right.

While I don't agree with all of DE's decisions, I do hold a lot of respect for them as not only a company but as people. I don't get the impression that DE would sell their soul to what people are saying is china's EA.(or at least what i get out of it) Can someone let me know the full name of the of the company involved in this business deal? I would like to do some research of my own.

You could... you know. Read the other posts made by others? One explains that DE isn't in trouble or doing anything evil, No company is taking complete control over everything. and all should calm down.

Another is from a moderator explaining things thoroughly

Edited by KJRenz

You could... you know. Read the other posts made by others? One explains that DE isn't in trouble or doing anything and all should calm down.

Another is from a moderator explaining things thoroughly

i would rather come to my own conclusion. I wouldn't want to only know what is going on by hearing from someone who heard it somewhere else. If that makes sense

i would rather come to my own conclusion. I wouldn't want to only know what is going on by hearing from someone who heard it somewhere else. If that makes sense

But.... they even have sources upon the contract itself...

I think people misunderstand how this system works.  This company won't have any operational control over Warframe.  The owning of stocks just means if DE makes money, this company makes money too.

In exchange for this, they're giving DE a bucketload of cash for the shares, which DE will use to give us content like "The Second Dream"

Do NOT start the crying again like last time.

Quoting again

The International version of Warframe (the game we are currently playing) is completely separate from the Chinese version of the game; they're developed independently--namely the Chinese version of the game takes content from the International version of the game and modifies it to suit Chinese audiences.

Digital Extremes will retain full creative control over the International version of the game, just as they have since Leyou (previously known as Sumpo) and Perfect World decided to invest in Digital Extremes all the way back in early 2014. This deal is nothing new, and the only difference is that Leyou (formerly Sumpo) have decided to invest MORE money into Digital Extremes because of Warframe's success.

So, if we look back to what's been developed since the first part of the investment deal was struck (way back in 2014), we can clearly see that a LOT of content has been developed; multiple tilesets have been developed (underwater, infested ship, moon, etc). An entirely new faction has been developed (Sentient), significant amounts of lore have been developed and released (Second Dream, Cutscenes)... All of these were released after Leyou and Perfect World made an investment deal with DE.

DE is going to keep developing content for Warframe just as they have been, the only difference is that they have quite a bit more money now and can hire more staff and develop even higher quality content.

Long story short, the only effect the investment deal has on the International version of the game is that it gives DE more money/resources to use for future development. Complaining, panicking and being afraid of the deal is more or less complaining, panicking and being afraid of DE having more resources for content development purposes. It's a ridiculous and silly thing to be afraid of.

It's like saying "I'm afraid I won't be able to cook as much food as before, even though I was just given an even larger, fully stocked pantry full of ingredients". In this analogy, content is the cooked food, DE is the chef, the money from the investment deal is the ingredients, and we (the players) are the patrons in the restaurant. When the chef (DE) has more ingredients (Money) to work with, they can cook more food (Content) for the customers (Players).

At least DE is not been brought by Activision Blizzard, like MLG lately.

But still... I have bad feelings about this.

Now now everyone. Please don't start another theory witch hunt. Because last year was horrible.

Please wait for further information. Don't start posting false theories/Doom comments and bashing the Devs for this.

As a fellow Tenno, I beg you. Please understand the meaning of Partnership.

There is no partnership anymore, they now fully own DE.

What's the big deal? I can't understand these doom comments.

You know full well you're not going to up and leave just because DE have made a partnership.

Things have already been going down hill (the grind/farm is real) since the first deal.  I have already stopped playing as a result.  Knowing that this other company will now have full control, makes a lot of people nervous.  Seeing what happened with Dark Sector does bolster people's confidence either.  

There is no partnership anymore, they now fully own DE.

Oh man, I can feel it. Warframe is gonna be overrun! With my Doomfork I gather all to bring doom! /s

DE is not being taken over, DE is not being fully owned DE are not going to be transformed into the new EA. DE have full development control, nothing has changed.

Geez, it's like last in 2014. I didn't know I was traveling two years in the past.

Things have already been going down hill (the grind/farm is real) since the first deal. I have already stopped playing as a result. Knowing that this other company will now have full control, makes a lot of people nervous. Seeing what happened with Dark Sector does bolster people's confidence either.

Sigh......

Keep those Misinformed doom comments coming. They're always true!( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by KJRenz

I see a lot of players complaining about Nezha and Wukong as being  chinese-ish or that they were released to us later, it`s hard to get them, etc...what`s wrong with you people ?!

-Remember archwing when you farmed like mad because of the horrid droprates for telurium ?

-Vauban-you can only get from alerts...

You wanted end-game-ish content so they added sorties (not very creative i`ll admit) and they added stuff so that players would actually play that content - thus Nezha, legendary cores, karak, dera...

They added a frame that you can get resources from alerts...well nothing new here (spoiler-vauban that`s waaay nore a pain in the a** to get), i`m a casual player and i still have 30+ nitain extracts + i did all the research in my small clan...so your point is ? 

Are those 2 frames chinese-ish ...yes, did they stay exclusive to WF China....no thus i have no problem with them.

Now for the second part of my rant :

-I played Firefall since before the chinese investment and it was fun to play and a decent time sink...after they (R5-the company) got the funds things changed 180 degrees  and they did things that they said they absolutely wouldn`t do and so it has been the case with other games - when i see chinese involvement - i am afraid and skeptic considering past experiences.

-Creating a client for the chinese market is a good idea to get funds as long as it doesn`t influence the game we love and play, if they create content for china and we get it (even later) i have no problem at all.

- As far as i see it if DE stay true to their initial concepts, ideals, etc and our gameplay  doesn`t go full chinese p2w derp mode then we have nothing to worry about else as someone said "Goodbye my sweet prince " - sob and move on....

Edited by Shinoma
  • Upvote 4

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're trying to say.

The International version of Warframe (the game we are currently playing) is completely separate from the Chinese version of the game; they're developed independently--namely the Chinese version of the game takes content from the International version of the game and modifies it to suit Chinese audiences.

Digital Extremes will retain full creative control over the International version of the game, just as they have since Leyou (previously known as Sumpo) and Perfect World decided to invest in Digital Extremes all the way back in early 2014. This deal is nothing new, and the only difference is that Leyou (formerly Sumpo) have decided to invest MORE money into Digital Extremes because of Warframe's success.

So, if we look back to what's been developed since the first part of the investment deal was struck (way back in 2014), we can clearly see that a LOT of content has been developed; multiple tilesets have been developed (underwater, infested ship, moon, etc). An entirely new faction has been developed (Sentient), significant amounts of lore have been developed and released (Second Dream, Cutscenes)... All of these were released after Leyou and Perfect World made an investment deal with DE.

DE is going to keep developing content for Warframe just as they have been, the only difference is that they have quite a bit more money now and can hire more staff and develop even higher quality content.

Long story short, the only effect the investment deal has on the International version of the game is that it gives DE more money/resources to use for future development. Complaining, panicking and being afraid of the deal is more or less complaining, panicking and being afraid of DE having more resources for content development purposes. It's a ridiculous and silly thing to be afraid of.

It's like saying "I'm afraid I won't be able to cook as much food as before, even though I was just given an even larger, fully stocked pantry full of ingredients". In this analogy, content is the cooked food, DE is the chef, the money from the investment deal is the ingredients, and we (the players) are the patrons in the restaurant. When the chef (DE) has more ingredients (Money) to work with, they can cook more food (Content) for the customers (Players).

I think what people are fearful of is that the kitchen and the restaurant now no longer belong to DE. So although the chefs (DE) are the same, the new owner can change the pricing of the dishes or the entire menu or theme of the restaurant. Edited by --Q--Ascended-Seraphim
  • Upvote 7

Well, if that works for DE and Warframe i'm cool with it... What i'm afraid of is that it is possible Chinese players will be favored, in already mentioned ways like timed exclusives - if that happens i guess im out. 

I know there are valid reasons for XBox players being bottom of the barrel, but welcome to the club, buddy. Those days of privilege look like a thing of the past, huh? You'll be fine

To clarify on some things before I get into the mindless back and forth: that post was a joke^. I just find it funny that PC is worried about folks being favored ahead of them, when they've enjoyed the best playing experience so far in receiving updates first (due to the absence of console certification), among other things. Then there's the existence of that one frame in your build that console players are not allowed to mention.But I get it. Without you, there would be no Warframe. Just wish I knew about the game in 2013.

But anyway, you guys are overreacting. Wait and see what happens before you predict the end. If they released that one frame I can't mention in China, then I can understand why you'd feel upset. But the game has never really been F2P, unless you only want to play with a few frames. You have to buy slot, which costs Plat, and that in game currency is behind a pay wall. If no one buys Plat, the in-game economy folds and everything freezes. Now we're predicting a bunch of things that more than likely won't happen all because PC players feel the China market will be placed ahead of them. Really?

I'm trying (and failing) to be sympathetic about this, but you guys sound spoiled. You had to wait for Nezha and Wukong, right? Console still doesn't have Nezha. We're still waiting on Holiday decorations, after the Holiday. They explained the reason for both (Microsoft & Sony overlords) and we have to accept it. They explained why you had to wait for the time-exclusive frames and enough of the PC community pouted. You'll get over it.

FFS PEFECT WORLD AND PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT ARE TWO DIFFERENT, FRICKING COMPANIES.

QUIT FREAKING OUT OVER NOTHING.

I think what people are fearful of is that the kitchen and the restaurant now no longer belong to DE. So although the chefs (DE) are the same, the new owner can change the pricing of the dishes or the entire menu or theme of the restaurant.

No, I think the Kitchen still belongs to DE.

the way I heard (Leyou owning all B-shares) Leyou won't be able to change shiz

Edited by BaIthazar

I think what people are fearful of is that the kitchen and the restaurant now no longer belong to DE. So although the chefs (DE) are the same, the new owner can change the pricing of the dishes or the entire menu or theme of the restaurant.

Good restaurants let the chef make the menu--if the owner tries to make the menu and override the chef's decision, they're simply shooting themselves in the foot (unless the owner happens to also be the chef, which is technically no longer the case seeing as DE is no longer an independent company in that regard). As I've previously said, Perfect World is definitely not brainless enough to try and screw with a golden egg laying goose (I can confidently say this through historic examples of their investing/involvement with Western/International developers to bring games to China--most notable are Runic/Torchlight 2 and Valve/Dota 2), and Leyou is investing mainly to get a cut of the profits that DE is making; they're interested in capitalizing on DE's success with Warframe, meaning they definitely won't screw with the goose laying golden eggs--they're aware they do not have the same experience at developing/managing games as DE.

Basically, all involved parties want to make money, Warframe is already very successful, and from a business standpoint it would be an extremely idiotic decision to try and mess with a tried and true solution for success (the solution being allowing DE to have free control over their projects). 

• Upvote 2

Good restaurants let the chef make the menu--if the owner tries to make the menu and override the chef's decision, they're simply shooting themselves in the foot (unless the owner happens to also be the chef, which is technically no longer the case seeing as DE is no longer an independent company in that regard). As I've previously said, Perfect World is definitely not brainless enough to try and screw with a golden egg laying goose (I can confidently say this through historic examples of their investing/involvement with Western/International developers to bring games to China--most notable are Runic/Torchlight 2 and Valve/Dota 2), and Leyou is investing mainly to get a cut of the profits that DE is making; they're interested in capitalizing on DE's success with Warframe, meaning they definitely won't screw with the goose laying golden eggs--they're aware they do not have the same experience at developing/managing games as DE.

Basically, all involved parties want to make money, Warframe is already very successful, and from a business standpoint it would be an extremely idiotic decision to try and mess with a tried and true solution for success (the solution being allowing DE to have free control over their projects). 

Sometimes greed clouds someone's judgement, let's just hope it's not one of those cases.

• Upvote 2

*Cough, Blacklight Retribution cough*. 

Stating they're aware that they do not have the same experience at developing or managing games as much as DE is an understatement. That's if perfect world retains that awareness, if they so choose to change that particular mindset, it will be inevitable that Warframe would suffer. The question here is, do they have the option control over the way DE handles their customers on the international platform as part of the contract? If not so, DE may have compromised a bit too much. 

I understand your optimism and positivism but at the same time, what you've stated is mere diplomacy and not necessarily a guarantee that PW wouldn't try to screw with the chef.  

Edited by Captain.Starburst
  • Upvote 3

Please understand the meaning of Partnership.

They are saying that Leyou will purchase the rest of the company. I'm not sure what does that have to do with the meaning of Partnership.

Unless things will stay the same and Warframe doesn't become excessively money-demanding, like other gaming business models, I don't know why I should welcome the news - except for the larger funding that, I presume, should come from that.

I want Warframe to grow and become even better than it is - but I also want to know how much money is the brass expecting us players to put into it. My finances don't grow on trees, and as much as I'm striving to get rich enough to stop caring, I still have choices to make right now.

Just my two cents. Back to sitting in the shadows and seeing how things evolve. I can't say I have been excessively disappointed so far.

It began over a year ago with that thread... That has the most pages in the history of this forum

I know. I was there...

But saying, "So it continues." just doesn't have the same pizzazz.

Edited by SinReplica

Can't you clarify? Even if the devs stays in Canada what do this change?

For me owning 100% of something means that you are in control.

You must have a deal in place that says they can not close down wf or massively change it?

If it's only profits, then cool. Disney owns Star Wars now, made a good movie anyway it seems.

after they (R5-the company) got the funds things changed 180 degrees  and they did things that they said they would absolutely wouldn`t do and so it has been the case with other games - when i see chinese involvement - i am afraid and skeptic considering past experiences.

full chinese p2w derp mode

This is exactly why we're not happy about it.

DE has been pushing plat as the only reasonable option for many things as of late, some are pretty much impossible without it. This is how I've seen games start to evolve into a p2w in early stages.

Honestly, I'm expecting to ultimately see some changes in DE, anything from changes to the game's monetization to even who is working for them.

And we have. DE is really pushing the whole 'pay for convenience' thing, and plat sales with all the bundle exclusives. It's as if they were using their loopholes by keeping recent drops at 2% and giving us the option to exchange one sword for another, but not have both unless you pay 600p.

Edited by DeadSirius
  • Upvote 1

Can't you clarify? Even if the devs stays in Canada what do this change?

For me owning 100% of something means that you are in control.

You must have a deal in place that says they can not close down wf or massively change it?

If it's only profits, then cool. Disney owns Star Wars now, made a good movie anyway it seems.

You and I clearly watched different films and have different understandings of over 30 years of Star Wars cannon and retcons. The new movie was, in my opinion, a slap in the face to many of the Lucas fans and a massive departure from all of the Extended Universe cannon over the years. Not to mention the actors were horrible, for real, really, I mean it. I loved seeing Han and company again, even though Leia sounds like she's been at the death sticks a bit too hard since Han went well..Solo again. But yeah, not good. Luke had Ben Skywalker, Han and Leia had Jason (who became Darth Cadeus) Jaina, and Anakin Solo. This new movie was as much, if not more, an affront to my political sensibilities as it was my nerdom.

ON TOPIC: Leyou controls the purse, from what I understand and now owns the company. NOT ONE kitchen I ever worked in, including Orso's (4 star in AK) ever let the chef exclusively dictate the menu, that's just not how it's done. Leyou control the purse, the purse controls the development. Now I HOPE (oh god how I hope) that things will continue to improve and Warframe will become an even better game. But I'll be holding off on buying plat or anything else until I'm confident this game won't go the way of far too many others I've seen. Cautious optimism, that's what I recommend, cautious optimism.

• Upvote 2