The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Buyer's Guide

Volttexx

Question

Hi, it's Bedchuck.

I've recently gotten the Link Trinity Prime pack, and with my newfound Platinum, I've bought Ivara, the Winter Bundle (Mirage), Frost, and gifted some stuff to a friend.

I have also obtained Limbo, Excalibur, Loki, and Zephyr.

Now I have 570 platinum, and I'm wondering- what Warframe should I buy with this? Since I can really only buy one because of a platinum "bank" (read, reserves for future OMG BUY NOW stuff), I have to make this worthwhile.

Before you guys go hating on me about how Platinum shouldn't be used like this, and only for weapon or Warframe slots, please just analyze the options available, and then go hating on me afterwards. :3

Now, I like a few different playstyles, but the one thing that's the most important to me is survivability; can the Warframe use its powers to enhance its survival skills while dishing out some good damage?

Also, I'm not going to buy any Warframe that's insanely easy to grind, like Mag, since her boss is very easy to beat and is in an accessible location.

Finally, I'm already considering two possible Warframes: Ash and Mesa. If you could give me feedback on the playstyles, that would be great as well.

I'm also considering some weapons around the ranged, stealthy spectrum, like bows or glaives, but they take backseat to my Warframe shopping.

Well, there you have it, Tenno. The chance you've been waiting for, to save a Tenno from making a tragic mistake (or tricking it into making one). Can you help me?

-Bedchuck

11 answers to this question

Ash and Mesa are both great at dishing damage and defending themselves (Smoke Screen and Shatter Shield), though Ash is more poor on Defense missions than Mesa. If you are aiming for Ash then I do recommend getting his Prime Variant as it has more Shield and Armour. Other good frames are Wukong and Valkyr. I don't know much about Excal's survivability but he can be really strong and should be able to survive well if you make use of his Blinds.

If you are just starting out then you should get slots whenever needed. Potatoes will come from time to time so you may not need them as much. If you really want to buy weapons and frames then you should buy Prime ones from other players as they are normally cheaper and stronger than the normal variants in the Market. I would recommend Paris Prime and Boltor Prime as decent starting weapons. Imo, Paris P is better for end game.

EDIT: Going back to slots, I myself usually have a decent reserve for whenever I need them. For me, I only see the need of slots for whenever I want to add another strong weapon or frame to my arsenal. If the weapon does not satisfy my demands then I would just sell it to make room for a new weapon. If you are planning to collect everything in the game then you will definitely need slots. If you're like me and only want to keep all of the really good stuff or stuff that is only "required" then you may not need to spend as much.

Oh yeah, when buying from players, make sure you are getting a good deal and not getting scammed. :)

Edited by Yazeth

never, ever buy anything you can farm with ease... It's not worth it... buy slots, as many as you want, colour pickers, if you like them, but never buy frames and /or weapons you can get by farming for them... srsly

^This.

Why buy something with plat when you can play to earn it? It really negates the point in playing this game. You play the game to get good stuff. You pay wth plat to make your stuff look great.

Use your plat for warframe and weapon slots and aesthetics like skins and syndanas.

Ash and Mesa are both great at dishing damage and defending themselves (Smoke Screen and Shatter Shield), though Ash is more poor on Defense missions than Mesa. If you are aiming for Ash then I do recommend getting his Prime Variant as it has more Shield and Armour. Other good frames are Wukong and Valkyr. I don't know much about Excal's survivability but he can be really strong and should be able to survive well if you make use of his Blinds.

If you are just starting out then you should get slots whenever needed. Potatoes will come from time to time so you may not need them as much. If you really want to buy weapons and frames then you should buy Prime ones from other players as they are normally cheaper and stronger than the normal variants in the Market. I would recommend Paris Prime and Boltor Prime as decent starting weapons. Imo, Paris P is better for end game.

Oh yeah, when buying from players, make sure you are getting a good deal and not getting scammed. :)

Thank you for your input! I'll make sure to value your decision!  c:

Why buy something with plat when you can play to earn it? It really negates the point in playing this game. You play the game to get good stuff. You pay wth plat to make your stuff look great.

Use your plat for warframe and weapon slots and aesthetics like skins and syndanas.

It's all circumstantial. I personally know a few buds who bought a frame or two because of reasons varying to:

-  Only having a few hours in the week to play, and since I have no say in what they do with their money, if they want to buy (for example) Mesa or Nezha or whatever because they can't be on every single day to farm for it just to enjoy the content, then so be it.

-  Similarly to the first point, what and why someone plays a game is completely subjective. Who am I to say that buying something for convenience will negate someone else's experience?

- Simply just supporting the game if they choose too, no matter what it is they purchase.

So in all, I know that you and likely many others personally play to get good stuff, but there are others that play for other reasons.

I for one have bought a handful of weapons and a few Warframes in the past (when you purchase Prime Access, they give you so much plat that I don't know to do with lol) and personally if it cuts the time of me playing the same node over and over again, wait between 3-5 days for everything to craft (assuming you get everything within the first night or two) just so I can enjoy the new content it has to offer, then I don't really see an issue with that. I'm not making it "less fun" for anyone else.

Since I do have the income to spend a few dollars as I please, sometimes I'd rather just buy that new weapon or whatever, especially if said content is a lot more steep to achieve that honestly in the end it might just feel "bitter-sweet" due to the frustration.

But like I said this is just me, and everyone is different lol. I figure your question is rhetorical but just felt like putting on perspective on why would someone might want to buy something.

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

So, I ended up buying something and yet not buying something.

I traded some 180 plat for the Ash blueprint and parts, and I also traded 30 for the Paris Prime parts and blueprint. Now I can get the best of both worlds, at a cheaper price than I could've just bought Ash (albeit at the cost of crafting time and Gallium farming). It seems like I've underestimated the player market possibilities!

Sorry, but I did not intend to tell you how to spend your plat. I only intended to give you advice.

What I learned from this game is that there is a lot to learn, and the best way to learn is to obtain the parts yourself by doing the missions.

Yes, support the game and buy plat, but the only way to become skilled at this game is to play missions over and over - you learn new things each time, trust me.

I just can't see the fun in someone buying his or her way to the endgame. Take it slow and enjoy the journey :)

Sadly, I don't have time to play Warframe that much, hence buying the Frames. Now, though, I see how good the play market can be, and I will learn! :D

Plus, I need some new Warframes, since most of my Frames didn't have good offensive abilities. :P

Also, I'm not trying to buy my way into endgame; I'm trying to get more stuff to help some of my friends to get more stuff. It totally works!