The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oculus Rift Costs $600

TheErebus.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10722212/oculus-rift-price-shipping-date-ces-2016

Yep, the VR headset costs $600. I wasn't interested in getting one in the first place, but now I know for a fact that I'm noy going to get one.

The pre-orders will ship out March of 2016. So get 'em if you want. 

Yup seems high for a truly unproven product. I hope it does well so it can be perfected and reduced in price.

Don't think I'll be interesting in VR until it's a full body experience. Strapping a box to your face without other sensory input sounds...lacking.

I can't be the only person who thinks this will wreck people's eyesight, right?

Yup. All interest lost.

We'll see what price Valve/HTC decides to make the Vive headset. If they get it to $300 or below then I know which headset I'm buying. It also sounds like they're very close to release.

31cc068d8a34317cb79288e54a36bc40.png

I'm a lot more interested in the Vive from a technological standpoint too. Namely the camera on the front of the headset; it'll help keep you from bumping into things, and you'll be able to see out of the headset if you need to pause the game, change something on your PC, etc.

Yup. All interest lost.

We'll see what price Valve/HTC decides to make the Vive headset. If they get it to $300 or below then I know which headset I'm buying. It also sounds like they're very close to release.

31cc068d8a34317cb79288e54a36bc40.png

I'm a lot more interested in the Vive from a technological standpoint too. Namely the camera on the front of the headset; it'll help keep you from bumping into things, and you'll be able to see out of the headset if you need to pause the game, change something on your PC, etc.

I'm with you on that one, have they announced a starting price point for the Vive? I've also heard that the Vive is by far the most immersive VR experience on the market as of now, most testers saying that they "got lost in the game" (Oh baby baby). That's the big factor for me, I don't want just another screen that I strap to my face so my friends think I'm even more of a shut in than I already am. I want something that offers that next level of immersion.

I'm with you on that one, have they announced a starting price point for the Vive? I've also heard that the Vive is by far the most immersive VR experience on the market as of now, most testers saying that they "got lost in the game" (Oh baby baby). That's the big factor for me, I don't want just another screen that I strap to my face so my friends think I'm even more of a shut in than I already am. I want something that offers that next level of immersion.

No price point has been announced yet. I've got my fingers crossed for a number around $300, which is what Playstation VR (a.k.a. Morpheus) seems to be targeting as far as price.

One thing I'm also hoping is that it won't have outrageously high PC spec requirements either. Oculus needs some pretty beefy hardware.