The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime Build Question

Treble557

Question

So, I've gone with a more traditional crit build as with my soma from before (stopped playin for a year), and it feels kinda like its lacking some of the punch it used to have. 

I could mow down lvl 40-50 targets with it before, but now it seems that its effectiveness stops at around 35ish.

Here's my current build. 

http://i.imgur.com/AL1gzV7.jpg

For the final slot I used to just have heat damage. But now im fiddling with electric damage, slash boosting, the bane cards for the various factions... Not sure what really fits that last slot well tho. 

I've also been considering dropping hammer shot for corruption/ice ele and seeing how that plays out. Havn't gotten that far yet tho so im not sure how it'll work. 

What do you guys think? 

Also, another quick added on question.. Energy Siphon. It feels S#&$ty now in my loki. Like, its SO SLOW.. so slow. As in almost adds nothing so slow. 

Am I better off using -armor on enemies now as an aura or something?

This is my build:

Serration 10/10

Heavy Caliber 7/10 (Not max cuz I don't want the accuracy loss to be too much)

Split Chamber

Shred

Point Strike

Vital Sense

2 Elemental Mods (1 Flat and 1 Dual Stat = 28% Stat Chance) [Depends on the faction]

Hope this helps~

wow, lotta differing opinions goin on. Some even defending heavy cal now o.o 

Well, I gotta say, Shred is something I don't want to lose. That puncture is a life saver to the ammo pool of the soma since it makes it so you take less bullets to kill more enemies, and it helps you clear a room with it instantly if you wanna. If there's another punch through mod I could use or a better one tho without the fire rate increase, then I'd be down to use that instead honestly. or one with a better stat coupling. 

As for the 3 ele setup, im gonna roll with 2, see what happens. If my damage is still really weak, I'll re-forma one of the V's and try a triple ele setup in place of heavy cal. 

I would recommend:

Split Chamber, Serration, Point strike, Vital Sense, Shred, stormbringer, infected clip, cryo rounds. This build will take you much higher then the meager 50 levels that it currently caps for you.

Edited by S0V3REiGN

You can always toss a dual stat mod in one of those V polarities to get your 3 ele setup without having to forma again.  It's less damage than a 90, but it'll give you an idea of what you'd be getting before you re-forma.

That good sir, is a very good recommendation. I'll check it out!

I dont think its that the Soma Prime is a bad rife(it isn't) its that the power creep of other weapons has become so high, the once top tier items are falling behind.

To me it makes no sense to introduce high level missions that are supposed to be challenging and then release new weapons that do significantly more damage than we had before, to make said missions easier :(

Heavy Caliber is fine if you don't plan on relying on headshots for the critical headshot damage bonus. Heavy Caliber + 2 90% elementals will give you more raw damage compared to 3 90% elementals, but you'll have more difficulty consistently landing headshots. You also have to account for the fact that every bullet you miss entirely deals zero damage.

Edit:

oh balls. i forgot to add the Headshot Multiplier to the one without Heavy Caliber, i only added the Crit Weakpoint Bonus.

so remembering to tally both results in:

~6212.448 Damage per shot before normalization

just self quoting to make sure we all keep on the same page.

some people have a very low bar for Accuracy.

Crit Weapons are designed to shoot Weakpoints. if you don't want to do that, there are a lot of other Weapons that will suit you better (and will feel more powerful to use).

just like using Heavy Caliber on a Bow - you're either doing it because you don't care if you can't Kill things (i.e. just don't care what your Weapon actually does, you just want to shoot and don't care what happens because of it - but wtf?) or because you insist on using a Weapon that isn't for you.

if a Weapon is Crit weighted, it's also balanced around hitting Weakpoints all the time.

it's totally okay to not favor Accuracy that much. there's a wide variety of Weapons, plenty of which are not Crit Weighted as well as are. Players can use whichever they feel more comfortable with.

I dont think its that the Soma Prime is a bad rife(it isn't) its that the power creep of other weapons has become so high, the once top tier items are falling behind.

Soma Series was giant Powercrepe itself - and still is. it's leagues ahead of any other Automatic Weapon.

Soma Series isn't 'falling behind' at all.

all we have now are 4 extremely Overpowered Shotguns (with 2 special versions of them that are even more Overpowered), 3 Overpowered Sniper Rifles, and Lex Prime which is Overpowered.

The two main issues people have with the Soma are...

1 - Not using elementals.  We went over this but a lot of people don't realize that elemental damage always applies and is a huge portion of potential damage.

2 - Not hitting weakpoints.  Those multipliers stack with crit multipliers and a bonus, a 50 damage weapon with 4x crit hitting and critting an enemy normally deals 200 damage, and deals 100 damage hitting a head non-crit... but a head critshot would do 800 damage.

Hell, when the Soma Prime came out people complained "Only 2 more damage?!?!" not realizing that the Soma Prime has a 20% DPS increase from that alone, not to mention the faster windup.

It's all about stacking multipliers, and both elemental mods and headshots are multipliers.