The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Pc Help!

HauntedPaper

Question

Hello anyone who decided to click on this thread! My fiancee and myself have both started playing Warframe extensively ( We are addicted, yes I know we need help). One problem we have run into is his dying PC. SO! This is where I asking this community. We are looking for either a laptop, or a desktop that can run Warframe smoothly. Not at max setting, but a good medium would be nice. 

Expected responses! Build your own, it is easy, and saves you money. Our reply, we cant at this time ;.; BUT, we do have a budget of around $550, and would like to find a pre-built PC that will allow us to play. Anyone with any suggestions into what pc we might want to check out would be much appreciated!

15 answers to this question

Pre-built PC is too overpriced, it's pretty easy to set up one by yourself there's a lot of tutorials online step-by-step. Im pretty sure you can follow what they say/do.
Also define "his PC is dying" loading slow? Low fps?
If you give info about his current PC you might have to just replace some of the things and save some money if you're going to use it just for Warframe.

I am not very familiar with all the pc's on the market but I can give you a guideline based of what I have (I run max settings smooth 9/10 times).

My pc:

I have a Nvidia GTX 660Ti graphics card, an intel i5 3570K (quadcore 3.4GHz and boost to 3.9GHz) processor and 16Gb of RAM.

Obviously you won't need this all if you're not going for max settings. But I built my pc 2 years ago during the summer for about 1000 euros (excluding monitor/keyboard/mouse/sound since i still had those)

Note: the price includes a lot more parts like the case, disc drive, fans, power supply and anything I missed. I just listed the most important parts for games. Of course cooling can have a large impact too but I assume this is known by most people, plus I wouldn't know what to recommend for that anyway.

My guideline:

What I recommend is a pc with at least 4GB of RAM so you can run most current games, don't expect too much from new releases for the new consoles since they mostly require at least 8GB of RAM and way higher CPU and GPU specs.

A multi-core CPU (try and get a quadcore if possible but at least dualcore) that reaches somewhere near 2.5 - 3GHz a little lower is still acceptable according to warframe's minimum specs but you will run into laggy survivals (lots of enemies can be hard on CPU's). My friend has his frames drop significantly in long survivals / defense runs which seems like it's his CPU having problems keeping up.

As for the garphics card, I recommend getting something that has 2GB of video RAM (VRAM) but for warframe I think you can get away with 1GB it really depends on what other games and what quality you want to run everything on.

Keep this in mind:

Again I am by no means an expert and my friends who know more about pc's helped me a lot when I put mine together. I by no means have any idea how the actual performance would be with these specs, I just compare it to mine, my laptop and old (broken) pc and try to place it somewhere in between.

I'd suggest waiting for some other replies but I hope this helps you select something decent. Feel free to adjust anything to your price range. I tried to suggest a minimum for running 60 fps medium quality for current games. It won't run GTA V smoothly but it will run you almost any game similar to Warframe decently. Of course performance may vary significantly from game to game and since Warframe is very well optimized you can probably go with lower specs without fear of losing a lot of performance (granted you lower settings a little)

Edited by zY_Spartan_Yz

Really build your own pc. Prebuilds are overpriced and always contain that one thing which you would actually want to change.

Also laptop needs to be a no-go. If you think about it with heat etc, it's a wonder these things work at all. If you want something portable you got your tablet anyway

Pre-built PC is too overpriced, it's pretty easy to set up one by yourself there's a lot of tutorials online step-by-step. Im pretty sure you can follow what they say/do.

Also define "his PC is dying" loading slow? Low fps?

If you give info about his current PC you might have to just replace some of the things and save some money if you're going to use it just for Warframe.

Okay, So his current laptop was refurbished, he has had it for about 3 years, and its in total about 7 years old.

The computer often freezes and he gets a BSOD . Then he gets a error that says" No internal drive detected". Its overall just getting old. 

Honestly, we are looking for a good desktop, because it will run things better than most laptops. By we, I mean his father and I are looking for one for his birthday, and his father refuses to build a p/c. ( He also happens to be paying for half of it, so I can not ignore him). Thanks for the help.

Edited by meeko12137

Not what you want to hear but find some time to build one yourself. At most it would take you about 6 hours with zero knowledge of what to do. The beauty of PC components is that most things can only be installed one way, or its color coded. This makes it very difficult to mess things up.

$550 would get you a pretty decent computer assuming you need absolutely everything. Mid range GPU's can be had for a little over $100, CPU's around $180-200 and the other needed parts would take up the rest.

Also you get the satisfaction of doing something you never have before.

When I was 16 I had a computer built for me, cost about $1200 and it was outdated in a year. After that I built my own and have been a happy camper ever since.

Well probably his hard drive is dying thus the error and BSOD.

Anyway if you don't want to buy it separately, give us a website from your country/city to check those pre-built ones.

We live in the US, I'm not sure what sites to even start looking at, though.

Not what you want to hear but find some time to build one yourself. At most it would take you about 6 hours with zero knowledge of what to do. The beauty of PC components is that most things can only be installed one way, or its color coded. This makes it very difficult to mess things up.

$550 would get you a pretty decent computer assuming you need absolutely everything. Mid range GPU's can be had for a little over $100, CPU's around $180-200 and the other needed parts would take up the rest.

Also you get the satisfaction of doing something you never have before.

When I was 16 I had a computer built for me, cost about $1200 and it was outdated in a year. After that I built my own and have been a happy camper ever since.

The problem isn't the building, but the fact his father refuses to invest if it isn't prebuilt. I've tried convincing him otherwise, but he's adamant about getting one for his son with 'no hassle'.

Some of those reviews scare me. Have you had personal experience with it before?

Edited by HauntedPaper

We live in the US, I'm not sure what sites to even start looking at, though.

The problem isn't the building, but the fact his father refuses to invest if it isn't prebuilt. I've tried convincing him otherwise, but he's adamant about getting one for his son with 'no hassle'.

Some of those reviews scare me. Have you had personal experience with it before?

With iBuyPower - yes.  With the System being described in general - yes, with that specific equipment no,

However - at your price point - that is the type of system you are looking at.

Edited by Invisioblack

Sorry but at that price point, I think you're really going to have a hard time without building yourself, especially since you don't have a current machine to cannibilise for parts (such as Case or Power Supply).

Playing around on iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC, the lowest I could get was $650-700 for a machine that wasn't trash.

Edit: Using PCPartPicker I got as low as $597.

Would it be possible to use your current Operating System? Taking Windows out of the equation would save you ~$90.

Edited by OniGanon

Warframe isn't really hard to run. Any modern integrated CPU graphics can handle the game.

But if you want to play at higher than the lowest possible settings and resolution, spend at least $120 on a graphics card (like a GTX 950), have at least 4 GB of RAM, and at least a dual core processor.

for 550 you can get a bare bones system and add a graphics card and ram to it, ending up with a solid system capable of playing most games at default graphics settings.   If you have extra, a 2nd identical hard drive and raid 0 will let you get medium gaming disk throughput.  

Ive helped build many a system like this and while its not a top of the line gamer, it will do on a budget.   Spending 2-3k on a system is a luxury these days, and no longer required.

avoid anything small and esp laptops.  Its always been true, and it still is ... smaller stuff costs more and generates more heat for the same dollars.

Also, wired internet in a big old honker of a desktop still creams wireless gaming all day every day unless you have extremely good wireless hardware, and even the best of it is still prone to EMI and collisions.

Then it's time to convince his father to stop being so pessimistic about building a PC. PC building is pretty straightforward, and there are tons of tutorials online on how to build a PC. Pre-builts are not going to be any good with your budget. Instead, search online for nice builds that fit your budget, and purchase the parts needed. You can even get some second-hand stuff for quite cheap.