The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do I Move My Warframe Installation To Another Computer? [Using Steam]

Charonix

Question

Hello! I haven't played since when I got a new computer, as my internet isn't quite spectacular and I haven't really gotten around to re-downloading the game. I have a flash drive that can probably carry the entirety of Warframe from my old hard-drive to the next, but I'm not exactly sure where all the data is kept, what with the game's launcher installing the game separately.

So yeah, please help me out, thank you!

EDIT: Oh... This isn't the Tenno Assistance page. I'm very sorry, I'm not sure what happened.

Edited by Charonix

10 answers to this question

Hello! I haven't played since when I got a new computer, as my internet isn't quite spectacular and I haven't really gotten around to re-downloading the game. I have a flash drive that can probably carry the entirety of Warframe from my old hard-drive to the next, but I'm not exactly sure where all the data is kept, what with the game's launcher installing the game separately.

EDIT: Oh... This isn't the Tenno Assistance page. I'm very sorry, I'm not sure what happened.

All of the other posters here were pretty unhelpful.

Steam actually has this feature built in. Just right click the game in your library and select "Backup Game Files..." follow the prompts to back them up to media of your choice.

Then once on your new system with steam installed (you will have to install the client at the very least) go up to the "Steam" menu at the very top left of the client and select the "Backup and Restore Games..." option. follow the prompts from there to restore from your media to the new system :)

Just note that I've never heard of anyone using this feature with Warframe, so it may or may not work. It's worth trying if your internet is really that bad though. If this doesn't work you'll have to take the hit and redownload.

It isn't kept in the hard drive. I'm sure your data is saved by the Internet or something?

The game files are kept on the hard drive. Models, textures, sounds, etc. Several dozen gigs of data. Only account Information, such as which frames you have and how much credits/plat you own, is stored on DE's end

OP is saying he doesn't have strong enough internet to redownload the game files at the moment, and is wondering if the game files can be transferred via flash drive. The account information will be sent automatically, as we already know

Edited by TARINunit9

Your account information is stored on DE's servers, all you have to do is go to Warframe.com and download the launcher and let the game update.

If you prefer to use Steam, then download the Steam thingy, search for Warframe via their search option and then download it from there.  

Once you have installed and updated, input your account information and log in!  The only downside is that you'll have to retune your custom settings as well as your in game gear wheel. 

The game files are kept on the hard drive. Models, textures, sounds, etc. Several dozen gigs of data. Only account Information, such as which frames you have and how much credits/plat you own, is stored on DE's end

OP is saying he doesn't have strong enough internet to redownload the game files at the moment, and is wondering if the game files can be transferred via flash drive. The account information will be sent automatically, as we already know

Ooohh, that's totally different. 

Ignore me.

I did a google search and found this; https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Not sure how helpful this one is; https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100421130419AAgwPBD  

This one has pictures!  http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Data-from-a-Flash-Drive-to-a-Computer

Edited by Noamuth

Not sure but backing up the files may backup only whatever steam has on their files list, so updates (which is the meat of the game) might not be backed up. It is your best bet currently, although once you're done restoring the game, you can probably just copy and paste everything in the warframe folder under c:/program files/steam/steam apps/common/warframe and then do a verify from the Warframe launcher.

... Steam actually has this feature built in. Just right click the game in your library and select "Backup Game Files..." follow the prompts to back them up to media of your choice.

Then once on your new system with steam installed (you will have to install the client at the very least) go up to the "Steam" menu at the very top left of the client and select the "Backup and Restore Games..." option. follow the prompts from there to restore from your media to the new system :) ...

Wait, really? All this time I've been taking things from the SteamApps folder!

This is very helpful, even if moving Warframe doesn't work out. Thanks again! <:

If you attempt to copy the folder under "steamapps/common", also look for Warframe's appmanifest file in the steamapps folder. It should be called "appmanifest_230410.acf". You'll need to copy that file as well so that Steam will recognize the game files.

Wait, really? All this time I've been taking things from the SteamApps folder!

This is very helpful, even if moving Warframe doesn't work out. Thanks again! <:

Here's the support page for the feature as well, which gives more detailed directions than my post:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

You can actually move your entire steam installation at once using this method, space permitting. You're not just limited to WF if you have more games to move too :)

Edited by Ashnal