The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Have Questions Choosing A New Warframe.

sumodummy500

Question

Hello, thank you in advance for reading my post.

I was wondering if I could get some assistance choosing a new warframe to play (playing excalibur and loving it but playing one warframe can get boring).

Background info: I SUCK with guns. I cannot aim a gun to save my life. (To put things into perspective: If there is a enemy I want to shoot this is how it goes down:

1. My brain takes about .5 seconds to register "hey I want to shoot that guy"

2. My mouse hand (recessive hand) takes about 1.5 seconds to aim at the enemy.

3. I shoot (So in other words it takes 2 seconds for me to shoot someone.)

If the enemy is close enough that I don't have to aim... I just melee the dude.

My computer's graphics, CPU, etc. is also terrible so I play with a ton of framerate/lag issues which makes aiming with rifles even more difficult.

I was wondering if there was a warframe that doesn't rely on guns.

For example: in TF2 I mained engineer (so a warframe designed around turrets/mines would be great)

I also played a ton of soldier (A rocket launcher is MUCH easier to aim than a rifle) so a warframe that has a primary weapon that has splash would be great.

I also played Spy but since Excalibur is a melee style warframe I don't wish to play another melee warframe.

P.S. Does the bow in warframe play similarly to the huntsman in TF2?

P.S.S. : Yes TF2 is the only other FPS that I play.

Thank you

20 answers to this question

Thank you for the response. I DO NOT (said this in my post :/) wish to play another melee class because I'm playing excalibur. I guess there isn't a warframe that revolves around turrets. (Also I'm dumb, primary weapons and warframes are completely different things.) I might give loki a shot since invisibility seems fun.

He said he doesn't wish to play another melee warframe. So people begin suggesting other melee warframes. Go figure.

I'll suggest Nyx with a chaos build to distract the enemy while the OP get's time to line up his sights.

Edited by Kihana

If you don't want another melee frame, but you're not great at shooting that sounds like a job for Vauban.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Vauban

He has a kit of four skills that don't usually need precise aim and help you hit things. #1 can be thrown wherever and it'll zap things like a little turret, causing electric shock. #2 is a bounce pad you can navigate to after throwing it, #3 is AoE CC that makes enemies lift up off the ground and hold still and his #4 is a black hole grenade that sucks enemies to one big pile for you to shoot at them all clumped together.

(Video slightly out dated, but still a good overview.)

Edited by VKhaun

Vauban seems right up my alley (seems like a engineer class). Nyx also seems like a great character to practice my shooting. (I assume mind control doesn't make the enemy run around like spastic monkeys?)

I think I found some warframes that really interest me.

Ehm, you need proper gun. One that you don't need to aim, you just asses general direction of enemy and squeeze that fire until nothing moves there. Get ingis. It's grineer flamethrower, fabulous general purpose gun. After several formas it will take you to any general content, until you start to push it. 

Hello, thank you in advance for reading my post.

I was wondering if I could get some assistance choosing a new warframe to play (playing excalibur and loving it but playing one warframe can get boring).

Background info: I SUCK with guns. I cannot aim a gun to save my life. (To put things into perspective: If there is a enemy I want to shoot this is how it goes down:

1. My brain takes about .5 seconds to register "hey I want to shoot that guy"

2. My mouse hand (recessive hand) takes about 1.5 seconds to aim at the enemy.

3. I shoot (So in other words it takes 2 seconds for me to shoot someone.)

If the enemy is close enough that I don't have to aim... I just melee the dude.

My computer's graphics, CPU, etc. is also terrible so I play with a ton of framerate/lag issues which makes aiming with rifles even more difficult.

I was wondering if there was a warframe that doesn't rely on guns.

For example: in TF2 I mained engineer (so a warframe designed around turrets/mines would be great)

I also played a ton of soldier (A rocket launcher is MUCH easier to aim than a rifle) so a warframe that has a primary weapon that has splash would be great.

I also played Spy but since Excalibur is a melee style warframe I don't wish to play another melee warframe.

P.S. Does the bow in warframe play similarly to the huntsman in TF2?

P.S.S. : Yes TF2 is the only other FPS that I play.

Thank you

Many are suggesting some great options for Warfames, and I would have echo VKaun's sentiments: my top recommendation would be Vauban. He has little electrical grenades that zap enemies that approach within range, you can lay upwards of a dozen or so out at a time and his other abilities are built for trapping and undermining enemy progress. Also, this is just me, he is a fun (but not so viable) solo frame for extermination or sabotage/deception missions. Always fun to outsmart enemies who travel way too close together.

Anyway, your weapon preferences have yet to be addressed as I've typing this at least so here are some recommendations:

MOST RECOMMENDED

Tonkor - It's a grenade launcher that does not kill you if you happen to get caught in the explosion. I think the self-damage is LOCKED at 50 or so but the damage to enemies is hilariously massive. Personally, I like to run and gun with it like it's a shotgun, however, you may certainly use it like a traditional grenade launcher and arc it across maps.

The penta is also another explosive weapon but it will kill you in one hit if you mess around. I might be more frustrating than it warrants but that's about the only other primary heavy explosive weapon I can think of. 

Now there do exist beam weapons which have been neglected recently, The Phage fires about 7 or 8 undulating/prehensile energy tentacles that converge into a rather thick kamehameha blast- best yet they utilize SHOTGUN mods which really frontload a lot of BURST DAMAGE. However, since the Phage is a beam weapon it's damage output is Damage by the Second. In other words, if you point this weapon at someone within the startchart and really spec heavily into elemental damage- they will cease to exist. Now, the beams do take a second or so to converge but they are amply powerful then so long as you have line of sight with the enemies. 

Other beam weapons like the Synapse or Amprex have also be used immensely but I've yet to try them myself. As I type this I'm currently building an Amprex just for fun.

MAYBE RECOMMENDED:

Okay so reading your issues with Rifles, I'm curious as to whether or not you've tried shotguns yet. They received a gigantic buff a few builds back and although they can down most enemies in one hit from the hip- they do require some consideration ratio from ammunition to enemies on the screen. If you have a penetration mod like Seeking Force you are gold- don't worry. Anyway, I mention this because unlike other FPS games, Warframe's shotguns have spread but also range. With a Tigris I can usually kill someone who is a car length or so down the hall from me and mortally wound someone even farther than that. I'm just throwing that out there in case you want a gun but not necessarily a rifle. Even with poor reflexes, a shotgun might be useful since you do have to make that ammunition count and you'd be best firing from a close enough proximity to an enemy from the hip without having to go into iron sights. 

If this interests you, you really can't go wrong with any shotgun but here is a small list based upon their merits:

Sobek - A semi-automatic shotgun that strangely fires each shell if you hold down the trigger (albeit very slowly). "Low" damage in comparison to the other shottys BUT has ~20 shells per clip. Perfect economy and despite having "low" damage should be a solution to most of your problems in the solar system.

Hek - Low clip size but devastatingly powerful. With a penetration mod you can kill an entire group of enemies that are close enough with the clip itself. Chews through armor like it's tissue so this is great to bring along for boss battles or otherwise against pesky bullet sponges.

OR if you are really feeling dangerous and just want a weapon for funzies:

Tigris - Duplex Firing mechanic makes you fire two shells at once. With only two shells in a clip you'd think this would be me trolling you but base damage for this baby is ~1000 O_O... Without modding. Just food for thought in case you were curious.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps, best of luck to you.

For Warframe powers that don't really require you to aim, there's Ember with her World on Fire that automatically attacks enemies within range. Similar to a mobile turret even if the visuals don't match that description. Equinox has a similar ability along with the ability to heal yourself and the team and put enemies to sleep.

Also, for Vauban like others have suggested you'll have to wait until Alerts with his parts come available if you don't have them already, so it might be awhile before you get him if you miss the alerts. Some people posting on the forums are annoyed with it because they've spent months trying to get him when they miss the alerts. Unless you just buy him with platinum that is.

His abilities are useful and would immobilize or cluster enemies together, but his abilities aren't really damage-based and not an alternative to guns like you said you're wanting, but it would make enemies easier to target.

As for weapons with difficulty aiming, the Tonkor has a large AoE and won't kill you if you accidentally shoot too close to yourself like other explosive weapons. It is a bit more difficult to aim with though since it has a firing arc and bounces before detonating unless it hits an enemy directly. The Ignis is a flamethrower that was updated and now has really good range and punchthrough. It's a clan tech weapon though, so you'll need access to the research blueprints.

Many are suggesting some great options for Warfames, and I would have echo VKaun's sentiments: my top recommendation would be Vauban. He has little electrical grenades that zap enemies that approach within range, you can lay upwards of a dozen or so out at a time and his other abilities are built for trapping and undermining enemy progress. Also, this is just me, he is a fun (but not so viable) solo frame for extermination or sabotage/deception missions. Always fun to outsmart enemies who travel way too close together.

Anyway, your weapon preferences have yet to be addressed as I've typing this at least so here are some recommendations:

MOST RECOMMENDED

Tonkor - It's a grenade launcher that does not kill you if you happen to get caught in the explosion. I think the self-damage is LOCKED at 50 or so but the damage to enemies is hilariously massive. Personally, I like to run and gun with it like it's a shotgun, however, you may certainly use it like a traditional grenade launcher and arc it across maps.

The penta is also another explosive weapon but it will kill you in one hit if you mess around. I might be more frustrating than it warrants but that's about the only other primary heavy explosive weapon I can think of. 

Now there do exist beam weapons which have been neglected recently, The Phage fires about 7 or 8 undulating/prehensile energy tentacles that converge into a rather thick kamehameha blast- best yet they utilize SHOTGUN mods which really frontload a lot of BURST DAMAGE. However, since the Phage is a beam weapon it's damage output is Damage by the Second. In other words, if you point this weapon at someone within the startchart and really spec heavily into elemental damage- they will cease to exist. Now, the beams do take a second or so to converge but they are amply powerful then so long as you have line of sight with the enemies. 

Other beam weapons like the Synapse or Amprex have also be used immensely but I've yet to try them myself. As I type this I'm currently building an Amprex just for fun.

MAYBE RECOMMENDED:

Okay so reading your issues with Rifles, I'm curious as to whether or not you've tried shotguns yet. They received a gigantic buff a few builds back and although they can down most enemies in one hit from the hip- they do require some consideration ratio from ammunition to enemies on the screen. If you have a penetration mod like Seeking Force you are gold- don't worry. Anyway, I mention this because unlike other FPS games, Warframe's shotguns have spread but also range. With a Tigris I can usually kill someone who is a car length or so down the hall from me and mortally wound someone even farther than that. I'm just throwing that out there in case you want a gun but not necessarily a rifle. Even with poor reflexes, a shotgun might be useful since you do have to make that ammunition count and you'd be best firing from a close enough proximity to an enemy from the hip without having to go into iron sights. 

If this interests you, you really can't go wrong with any shotgun but here is a small list based upon their merits:

Sobek - A semi-automatic shotgun that strangely fires each shell if you hold down the trigger (albeit very slowly). "Low" damage in comparison to the other shottys BUT has ~20 shells per clip. Perfect economy and despite having "low" damage should be a solution to most of your problems in the solar system.

Hek - Low clip size but devastatingly powerful. With a penetration mod you can kill an entire group of enemies that are close enough with the clip itself. Chews through armor like it's tissue so this is great to bring along for boss battles or otherwise against pesky bullet sponges.

OR if you are really feeling dangerous and just want a weapon for funzies:

Tigris - Duplex Firing mechanic makes you fire two shells at once. With only two shells in a clip you'd think this would be me trolling you but base damage for this baby is ~1000 O_O... Without modding. Just food for thought in case you were curious.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps, best of luck to you.

Thank you for your response regarding weapons.

Tonkor sounds pretty cool so I might give that a shot.

I have not tried shotguns in warframe. I guess my reasoning was the fact that shotguns work well in close range and if I'm in close range I might as well melee. You wrote that shotguns can work at range so I may also give it a try. That said, I just started this game like 4 days ago so it may take a while to try all those weapons. ( I will probably buy Vauban)

It's been covered a little, but definately taking a look at Valkyr, possibly Chroma as well for raw melee / tanky ability would be a great idea ( I main a Valkyr, myself! ).  For weapons, since you're wanting to deal with things in a closer range, consider either more automatic rifles to allow for some spread, or shotguns as weapons outside of the standard melee thing.

Less aim, more swing / spray & slay!

There are a lot of little details that can be covered with this, but if you have any further ideas or questions, feel free to keep asking!

I just built a Tonkor myself and it had me laughing with all the chaos I could cause with it without aiming. Wathcing a grenade hit the foot of a grineer and he goes straight up is funny.

Amprex is a fun one to use since its lightning daisy chains to nearbye enemies, I often pair this with Nova and her 4th ability for mass destruction.

Another suggestion would be shotguns...have to be closer to kill but less aiming needed to do so.

As to frames are you farming them? If you have access to a clan then my suggestion for a new fram would be Banshee since her skills allow her to stun, push back and lock them down...side to this is she is a bit squishy, so you'll have to learn how to use her properly. 

Loki is master race...nuff said on that subject.

Volt, mag, mesa, atlas, and some others come to mind as being able to do up to about level 40 content by simply spamming one button. Mesa needs efficiency to do that, the other 3 can do it pretty well out of the box and get better with the mods.

Melee is very viable too. Ivara sneak melee build is excellent. Valk is designed to melee. You can make a good case for melee on may other frames too... anything half tanky can do it, some skills support it more than others like nyx chaos mixes well with melee.

You can also try other gun ideas, and even try other controller setups. I have a w = walk, a = aim, d = fire, .. typical wasd hand position but a variation on it as I can steer with the mouse. Other guns... sobek has a wide scatter that can hit a 3x3 enemy wave, you don't need to be terribly precise with it. Spray guns like boltor, soma let you hold down the trigger until you win. Ray guns like phage, galaxion, etc let you SEE a beam that you can guide onto the enemy. Maybe one of these types can help you. Phage is a little weird to use but you can pull the cone in until you can hit pretty much anything in front of you.

Edited by jonnin

Now this sounds really weird but you can also try the Opticor as a weapon while you run around with Vauban. It has a charge time before it fires, so you can hold click down while you move your crosshair towards the suspended enemy and release a giant beam into his face.

Thanks again for all the responses. Once I get to MR 5 I might give the weapons (tonkor, shotguns) mentioned a try. (weapons locked behind exp walls suck :/)

And I can apparently only go up a maximum of 1 MR per day according to the wiki

Most if not all of my questions are answered but if someone wishes to post a new idea or a clarification that would be appreciated by me (or some forum browser that has a similar question).

Very surprised about how helpful the warframe community is.

P.S. : Here is my opinion on grammar: If you can understand what I'm saying; that is good enough for me.

I apologize for my grammar

clarification:

shotguns at short range is old news.. they were changed to greatly reduce the damage falloff multiplier.   

Or to put it in game terms,  in a defense mission, I can aim at the mob entry point and fire once and drop all of the mobs with my sobek on runs where the wave is less than about level 30 (this isn't all shotgun, it has punch through so each pellet tags a couple of guys and it has extra pellets from multishot and so on...  but I am talking about what is possible once you build it up).

Shotguns can kill anything outside of raids/sorties at pretty serious ranges with a shot or two.   Phage is limited by beam weapon issues ... ALL constant beam weapons have a fixed max range.   Be warned that not all shotguns spread quite as much as sobek at range.    At really high level content, you need to hit each enemy with all the pellets or you won't drop them  -- this reduces the range a little or you can hold down the trigger (sobek, the others are generally not full autos, its unique I think in that regard). 

Edited by jonnin

I personally enjoy necros. High capacity power user. Takes a while to give results tho (my final build consumed 5 formas, 8 in totall due to experiments ... not to mention that he is difficult to level)

He is a power user trough and trough and a pretty strong one at that. His bread and butter is his ultimate that uses killed enemys as shadow soldiers. Theyr damage scales while the endresult is amplified with strength. Add a augument to gain damage reduction while they are active. Oh and did i mention that is is selfsubstaining and gives additional loot? Might just be the frame for you as his playstyle is more strategical, rather then in your face offensive like most frames are while giving one of the best possible results. You still need to kill enemys to hoard shadows but the means don't matter and melee is quite possible, even pretty strong due to the selfsubstain and damage reduction.

His only real downside is the fact that he is pretty immobile in his best role, what makes fast paced games rely on his CC. Still pretty strong but not ideal.

Did i catch your attention? Then throw me a pm and i'll share my final build with you.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

You must try the Sonicor. It fires a projectile that explodes upon proximity with an enemy. You don't even have to hit the enemy.

It does have a very short range (15m), but it is very handy in crowd control, does tremendous damage after a few forma and you can melee the rest of the bad guys.