The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Minimum Requirement For Spy Missions?

DSpite

Question

Title might be a bit vague, so I'll expand on that.

Could for example, a non-invisibility Frame with no Mods and no weapons equipped, actually manage to do the higher level Spy Vaults, if they played very carefully?

So far I've seen the following that I would consider a minimum if for example you ran a Rhino with no companion, and I'd like to hear if people have managed with less.

* Needing to kill some units that are smack in the middle of a corridor, meaning there is no way past.

* Needing to kill some units patrolling next to a Data console, as they otherwise randomly move around and spot you.

* Killing Arc Traps, as they otherwise just zap you running past.

* Kill any camera that you need to walk past.

* Kill any Sensor Bar you need to go under.

* Needing to dis-activate those laser scanning curtains as I can't seem to be able to position myself at an angle that allows me to hack without getting hit.

24 answers to this question

There's an alternate path for that Spy room with the moving laser walls. Hug the recesses every chance you get until you end up in the 2nd to last or last recess, enter through the vent ducts.

Not sure if the vent ducts accessibility is based on RNG, I know the one with the laser ceiling is based on RNG.

A non-stealth frame with no mods (aside from those required to actually survive high level enemies) is more than capable of clearing every Spy tile in the game without triggering alarms.

In terms of basic mods required, a silenced weapon or a targetted ability (they are all silent) capable of destroying a camera or laser door is needed for a few vaults though.

There is a couple of Corpus Vaults where I had to go past what is basically a bunch of units moving about - like that one that has a rectangular area surrounded by energy walls - that may or may not randomly look in your direction, and it's very iffy to do, as being spotted seemed quite random.

As far as I know, you can't start a mission if you don't have at least one weapon equipped.

Sorry, I knew that, I kind of meant say, you had a Dagger, but no mods, so you could not technically actually kill anything with it. Running "naked" sorta speak.

It's actually not something hard if you know the spy rooms.

Cameras may be a bit of trouble but still not impossible if you're careful.

And as far as I know there aren't any doors with sensor bars that are 100% neccessary to move through.

Arc traps are not problem either becouse if you move fast through them they will not even down your shields.

Killing enemies is totally unnecessary. If someone notice you, kicking them (jump+forward+crouch) will knock them down, giving you some time to go hack the console before they run for the alarm.

A non-stealth frame with no mods (aside from those required to actually survive high level enemies) is more than capable of clearing every Spy tile in the game without triggering alarms.

In terms of basic mods required, a silenced weapon or a targetted ability (they are all silent) capable of destroying a camera or laser door is needed for a few vaults though.

The reason I was trying all this is for example, if DE put out a Sortie that had No Energy and Melee Only, how much of a bastard would it be to do?

High level enemies that basically won't die, no abilities to bypass things, mix in the fact that some Vaults have very tiny enemy patrol paths, and actually managing to sneak up to a console to manually hack takes at least 4-5 seconds, which is a long time for units to turn the hell around and see you.

The reason I was trying all this is for example, if DE put out a Sortie that had No Energy and Melee Only, how much of a bastard would it be to do?

That's a double handicap, sorties and nightmare missions never do that.  It's always just one.

Glaives and Bladeguns will allow you to take out the cameras and so on. They also can dish out some good damage to the enemies.

Additionally, Heavy Melee weapons have a considerable AoE damage that hits up when you use their ground strike attack. It is hilarious, but standing below a camera, jumping and pressing E will actually break the camera up above with a good number of weapons.

So... you always have possibilities.

High level enemies that basically won't die, no abilities to bypass things, mix in the fact that some Vaults have very tiny enemy patrol paths, and actually managing to sneak up to a console to manually hack takes at least 4-5 seconds, which is a long time for units to turn the hell around and see you.

Energy reduction Sortie and Melee-only Sortie restrictions can't happen at the same time. In terms of melee-only, no ability, there is one tile where there's a camera which is barely out of reach of most melee weapons, and has guards patrolling, so a silenced gun or a simple damage ability are essentially required, but other than that, there should be no problem.

In no vault do you actually need to kill anything other than Corpus cameras and Grineer magnetic doors, neither of which scale.

Honestly, the reason I run Loki for Spy missions is actually to avoid agro while moving between the vaults, since clearing enemies at the doorway can be much harder than clearing the vaults.

Bring a stealth kubrow while playing limbo to pass through corpus lasers

I would not bring any Kubrow to any stealth mission. They run around a little too much, and the "Charge ahead and take down an enemy" precept on the stealth Kubrow is pretty bad for stealth.

Yes, this is very much possible, even without a silence weapon.

This is due to Bullet Jump doing a small quantity of blast damage, which, if you are right against a corpus camera, or sensor bar for that matter when you bullet jump, will destroy said camera/sensor bar (this also works on grates - just wait for your face to be touching it, bullet jump forward, and you'll go right through it).

That said, it takes quite a bit of practice (especially on cameras within vaults - as if you don't stay strictly behind them, you'll trigger the alarm) to pull of properly. 

Considering that you were suggesting that a dagger could be carried - it would probably be much easier to simply use the dagger's aerial attack to take out the camera/sensor bar (should you choose to take out cameras/sensor bars with bullet jump, make certain to go horizontally along them, rather than straight on, as with cameras, should you miss you go right into their sight path, and sensor bars have the possibility of you going through the door).

This specific technique would be made easier with one of the parkour mods which gave an increase to damage (firewalker, icespring, etc.).

All that said, from the perspective of ease of running spy missions - just run a power throw + quick return throwing weapon to take out cameras, grates, and enemies (my personal preference being a kestrel with the cephalon suda augment on it for energy on vault completion, as well as the radial damage taking out any cameras I didn't kill on my way in).

EDIT: After having read a few of the comments posted in the time I was writing mine, I noted one which mentioned at least one corpus camera being out of reach - this issue can cause difficulties when attempting to kill cameras/sensor bars with bullet jump/melee - to get height, try bunny-hopping up the wall  next to the camera/sensor bar in order to attain the height necessary to easily, and most importantly, safely, eliminate the camera/sensor bar.

Edited by Martin_Moriarty

I do spy alot when I need to level up a frame

I get tired of draco so if you want to do a higher end spy this is really all you need

1 warframe, any warframe - with or without mods but its best to have some shield and health mods in case you mess up.

1 melee weapon + finishing touch, fury, and pressure point (i think that is the melee +% damage) Some higher armored enemies can not easily be one shot. It is prefered to use a dagger as they have one of the fastest stealth animations This is actually very important if you need to kill someone than bounce.

Become proficient with hacking

Be patient

Become familiar with every route of every type of spy for every faction

honestly half the battle is knowing what to do.

OPTIONAL:

1 silent rifle or pistol - because meleeing camera or sensor bars is hard.

Intruder or Ciphers (its best not to bring ciphers if you arent good with hacking. You should practice.)

Enemy Sense or Animal instinct

And that is really all you need

Edited by Anatolius

Title might be a bit vague, so I'll expand on that.

Could for example, a non-invisibility Frame with no Mods and no weapons equipped, actually manage to do the higher level Spy Vaults, if they played very carefully?

So far I've seen the following that I would consider a minimum if for example you ran a Rhino with no companion, and I'd like to hear if people have managed with less.

* Needing to kill some units that are smack in the middle of a corridor, meaning there is no way past.

* Needing to kill some units patrolling next to a Data console, as they otherwise randomly move around and spot you.

* Killing Arc Traps, as they otherwise just zap you running past.

* Kill any camera that you need to walk past.

* Kill any Sensor Bar you need to go under.

* Needing to dis-activate those laser scanning curtains as I can't seem to be able to position myself at an angle that allows me to hack without getting hit.

OP : Setting aside the fact you must carry one weapon, it's quite doable. Understanding your warframe's abilities, correct weapon usage, and knowing the vault layout are the keys to success. As far as level distance goes, you can do a spy mission which highest rank is 5 levels above you (naked).

1. With the right weapon and warframe, there's no obstacle too great.

2. See answer to #1.

3. Sliding/speed boost past it, won't drop your shields. Likewise, let the mobs take the hit when you lure them to it.

4. All cameras and sensor drones have visible beams, which make them easy to sneak past.

5. Depends on the type. Whether a single beam or a grid that moves, you just need to time the gap. The wide beam over grineer doors must be shot. The wide beam in the grineer "nothing but tubes and wires" vault, must be shut off via a panel.

6. Ah, the Corpus's "laser wall of death". If you look to either side of them, there are dark areas on the floor from the walls. The wall is slightly further back than the rest of the hallway. Slipping into the spot, with your chest against the wall, gives you enough space allowing the grid to zip past. All you need to do, is time your jumps from spot to spot while the grid is zips past you. Once you get the hang of it, it's a cakewalk.

And, cyphers. Tons and tons of cyphers XD

After many runs with Loki in search of that darn Ivara BP, I naturally got rather bored. I decided to have some fun and bring my rhino, and it actually wasn't too bad, since I've always used tunnels and crap instead of depending on teleport). Grineer vaults are tough because of the scanner things but other than that part they are actually really easy. Ciphers also help if you don't wanna be caught out in the open for too long but those aren't necessary either.

Lemme break these down...

Grineer vault with two floors and an elevator: This one takes some doing, but as long as you can sneak around the regulators you can wall-jump up to the ceiling access or bullet-jump off the door frame to break a Sensor Bar and scoot into the elevator control room. From there you can duck into the crawlspace access and dodge two lasers, circle around the guard, and grab the vault

Grineer vault that takes place in a big open shaft with LOTS of floors and an elevator: You can wallrun straight up to the top floor, drop into a break in the glass, and just grab the vault, bypassing all the puzzles

Grineer vault with Lynx in it: Breaking the first Sensor Bar might be tricky, but after that you can run to the left, break a fan, run up the conveyor belt, break another fan, scoot around some regulators, and hack the vault behind Lynx

Grineer vault with conveyor belts: the conveyor belts are easy. Less easy is hacking your way into the vault room before the regulator comes around the corner and sees you. There is an alternate route in the conveyor belts above the regulator that might be simpler

Grineer vault with the tram cars that you have to make platforms: There's a wallrun shortcut immediately to the right of the door. This one is easy, and I never go the "intended" way

Grineer vault with the extra hack panels above and below the vault: I hate this vault so much, but so long as a regulator doesn't see you there's nothing that a gearless frame couldn't do

Earth Grineer vault with the waterslide: halfway down the waterslide there's a grate jutting out of the ceiling. You can break this open and drop right on top of the vault before having to deal with the regulators

Earth Grineer vault where you hack panels to lower the water level: You need to hack fast before the guards nab you, but it's not impossible. If you don't want to bother with the Sensor Bar there's an alternate path through some pipes you can take once the water is all the way down

The other Earth Grineer vault: on the bottom floor there's a pipe you can hack that makes a steam vent. You can ride this vent all the way up to the top floor

Now, for the six Corpus vaults...

Two of them are easy (in theory): the room with the elevator right at the very start, and one with moving walls of lasers (moving down the hallways, as opposed to up and down). In these rooms, the only cameras can be safely avoided so long as you know where they are. However, four of the vaults have REALLY obnoxious cameras. Two have a camera directly above the entrance door (thankfully pointing away from the door). One of them has cameras that sweep back and forth and point RIGHT at the only entrances to the vault room. One of them just has two cameras that you have to bullet-glide OVER if you're not willing to risk breaking them

Edited by TARINunit9

you can do it but

- there are mobs between you and the spy vaults.  If you can't kill them, you are in trouble in some maps.  You can run past them, if they don't kill you.

- mag, volt, etc can handle cameras in corpus maps.  etc.

- you need a heavy hitting weapon for high level grineer alarm bots, or you need to be very, very good at avoiding them.  They can take a substantial hit and if it does not kill the alarm is triggered.

the actual vaults are only a problem when mobs are in stupid places.   You can do the puzzle part with any frame at all.