The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn Questions

BlueBehr

Question

Hi all, I just have a couple questions about Sayrn. This is all related to miasma. Does miasma require line of sight? How much range do you need on a miasma build, range and over extended or just overextended? Is flow necessary on her? I see a lot of people say rage and regenerative molt are really important, are they? I feel like if I use both, along with a vitality or something, I won't have enough mod slots for my other stuff and miasma won't be powerful enough. Is max efficiency worth it, or is the loss of duration from fleeting expertise too great a cost. Overall, how much strength+duration do you need to make miasma deal decent damage(so like minimum and optimal amount). Thank you

11 answers to this question

Before I begin, I'll say this: the old Saryn that only used Miasma is gone. You will use at least three of your abilities to achieve maximum damage radials from Miasma.

Miasma does not require line-of-sight. Miasma's base range is 15 meters, so with Stretch = 21.75m, Overextended = 28.5 meters, and Stretch + Overextended = 35.25m. 15m base range is the smallest range a radial nuke could have with exception to Absorb at base 10m, but this ability does not focus on the strength attribute.

Flow is dependent on how much efficiency you use. Fleeting Expertise would lower her duration, and duration is now very important for Saryn so this choice should be made wisely. Saryn players generally use maximum efficiency, primed Flow, and Zenurik passive.

Yes, the new Saryn rework has made it difficult to manage her slots. All power attributes of strength, range, duration, and efficiency must be considered.

As for how much, it really varies. If the mission is very mobile, you don't need much duration other than Primed Continuity, and would focus more on efficiency. If you are very stationary, strength or duration could be a better focus. It is highly recommended not to apply a maxed Fleeting Expertise onto your Saryn.

In short, Saryn is now more of a multi-purpose generalist instead of a plain damage dealer. To describe her damage-dealing role in succinct terms, Saryn is to top-tier damage dealers as the Vaykor Hek is compared to the Sancti Tigris. The Vaykor Hek can become very good with Primed Ravage and Arcane Tempo, but a Sancti Tigris has better performance overall for far fewer resources while being comparably easy to use. That said, Saryn is still a very capable damage dealer, but if you want easy damage you'd be safer trying Ash, Ember, Equinox, Mag, or various others.

Edited by MechaKnight

1. I don't think Miasma is LOS (Not completely sure tho)

2. If you want to be a really nice debuffer for your team, going with Stretch and Overextended would be best since the Viral proc from Spores is going to be the only thing that scales well into end-game. (That she has anyways) If you want to be a good damage dealer, just stretch would be fine.

3. Flow may or may not be used on her. It's situational. If you use the Molt, Spore and Miasma combo, you may need flow or good efficiency unless you pop spores with toxic lash, and even then you still may need some type of flow. (Unless you have a EV Trin in your team, then flow won't be needed)

4. If you're soloing or just getting into trouble a lot (Like me) then Rage and Regen Molt is helpful, but not that important if you have a trinity in your party

5. Just Vitality as an EHP mod would be fine. As long as you proc Viral and Toxin on your foes, Miasma will still do decent damage without added power strength. How you wanna build her, you don't really get a deficit in any stat. You can mod her to fit certain roles. 

Toxic Lash and Spore debuff Melee tank

Longer Range Spore Caster and debuffer (More end-game)

High Damage Dealer (Casting Spores on Molt then use Miasma)

She has so much variation, much better than her old Press4ToWin

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

Just to clarify when is said the thing about miasma, I didn't mean I would just be using miasma, just the questions were somewhat about a miasma centered build? Is that still a thing? I know spreading spores with molt for the viral and toxic prof are essential to miasma damage.

Just to clarify when is said the thing about miasma, I didn't mean I would just be using miasma, just the questions were somewhat about a miasma centered build? Is that still a thing? I know spreading spores with molt for the viral and toxic prof are essential to miasma damage.

People say that Miasma is crap or at least not as good as before now because negative duration doesn't effect it in a positive way anymore.

But her ult is still good to mod for.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

It's iffy. Saryn was one of those lesser-used warframes until Fleeting Expertise and Transient Fortitude were released, while knowledge of broken calculations spread within the community. There was such a thing as a Miasma-only build--Saryn would reduce her other three abilities to nearly nothing to achieve this effect. That is now gone, no more.

As of now, a Miasma-centered build really focuses more on Molt and Spore than Miasma. It is simply a must to use Spore, Molt, Toxic Lash, or a combination of these to achieve appreciable damage.

Edited by MechaKnight

Also, on average, how much duration/power strength do Sayrn users have. Is just a streamline enough or after casting molt, spores, and miasma, the energy drain will be too great without max efficiency?

I feel from my perspective, the minimum of duration on a practical Saryn is 0.775, or 77.5%. The minimum strength attribute for a practical build should be 0.95., or 95%. Streamline would barely cut it unless you're only casting Molt, then casting all your spores on the Molt. Primed Flow could help. Fleeting Expertise must be very carefully balanced. You can't just spam Miasma since the duration would reset and no additional damage would be gained, so there is an extent to which duration can be excessive, but you still need duration.

Edited by MechaKnight

To describe her damage-dealing role in succinct terms, Saryn is to top-tier damage dealers as the Vaykor Hek is compared to the Sancti Tigris.

More like MK-1 Braton to Soma. I mean, sure, you could make the former somewhat useful, but why bother, when there are better candidates that don't require so much hassle to do their job?

Saryn *used* to be a good low-mid tier nuke frame (not like Miasma did any good VS enemy levels 80 and above).

Now she's a gimmicky, underperforming frame best used as mastery fodder. 

I finished nearly every Sortie from the day they started, and I only saw a Saryn in a sortie mission once. And she pretty much just ran around trying to look useful. And you won't be seeing "H Sortie, LF Saryn" any time soon (if at all).